smarba 29-Mar-19
wilhille 29-Mar-19
mrelite 30-Mar-19
raceguy97 30-Mar-19
Dyjack 30-Mar-19
wilhille 31-Mar-19
wilhille 04-Apr-19
28-Mar-19
I am planning my first backpack turkey hunt this spring. I want to hunt turkey in the morning and try a little fly fishing during the day. I've been fishing in the area before and know it takes about an hour and a half to get to the spot.

My question is this... If I kill a turkey, do I have to pack camp and get it back to the truck/ice chest ASAP? If I killed a deer or elk, I would have no problem hanging it for a day or two in the temps I expect to encounter, but I have no clue about turkey. I know at home I don't even let chicken or turkey defrost at room temp. It seems like the answer would be yes get it back ASAP, but I really don't know if would turkey is different from domestic poultry.

I have heard of people doing these types of turkey hunts but never thought about what happens when they kill. Please excuse my question if it's a dumb one. Happy hunting.

28-Mar-19
I've packed in and killed a turkey, I used a Sea to Summit waterproof bag. I plucked and cleaned the turkey (kept it as dry as possible) after it cooled completely I put it in the bag and then the river and covered it with branches, at night I pulled it out and hung it, I did this for 3 days then packed out

28-Mar-19
Sounds like fun! Best of luck!

28-Mar-19
Great. Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that I can keep on hunting fishing if I'm lucky early on and not worry about the meat spoiling. I've been wanting to do one for a while and this year is the year. Good luck in the draw gentlemen see you all on the mountain.

29-Mar-19
Alternatively pack some spice and instant mashed potatoes...if you kill early you'll have lunch & dinner for the next several days.

29-Mar-19
I'll be sure to bring some extra spice... I usually bring lemon pepper and olive oil for the fish. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? Any tips for someone on their first backpack turkey trip?

30-Mar-19
I went to the Gila wilderness for my back pack turkey hunt and you wouldn't think it but the temps dropped to the mid teens for a few nights. For a few days prior to the cold snap I had crossed back and forth across the river so many times my boots were soaked. I could barely put my boots on in the morning they were so frozen and I had to go walk across the river so I could lace them up, be ready for weather! I wanted to make hot water to pour on them but all my water was frozen.

Also you may want a game bag to hang the bird in if the flies are in full force, the last 2 years there was a bunch of them!

30-Mar-19
Mr. Elite got cold feet! Sorry, it rhymes lol. Access to a cool river to submerge a plucked/cleaned bird IMHO should be fine, back country elk hunters do it all the time. Basically it acts as a refrigerator if kept dry and in a bag, keep the bacteria growth down and all that.

Feel free to come up to ABQ after you have it and we can test!

30-Mar-19
Lol spices is a 200iq move. If you eat it you don't have to carry it.

31-Mar-19

04-Apr-19
Thanks a lot for the help gentleman. Im counting down the days.

• Sitka Gear