RC 14-Apr-19
Jeff Durnell 14-Apr-19
RC 14-Apr-19
tobywon 15-Apr-19
Red Beastmaster 15-Apr-19
Thunderflight 20-Apr-19
10-Apr-19
FLUORESCENT ORANGE REQUIREMENTS SIMPLIFIED

The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners today gave final approval to a measure that simplifies requirements to wear fluorescent orange material while hunting.

There are no changes to the requirements that apply in many seasons. And the use of orange continues to be highly recommended for all seasons, whether required or not.

The changes will become effective in the 2019-20 license year to begin July 1.

The new regulations eliminate the requirement to wear fluorescent orange at any time while archery hunting for deer, bear or elk. This eliminates all overlap periods when archery hunters were required to wear varying amounts of fluorescent orange while moving or post orange material while in a fixed position.

The regulations also eliminate the requirement for fall turkey hunters to wear fluorescent orange material.

All other seasons would continue with their existing fluorescent orange requirements.

Hunters in deer, bear and elk firearms seasons, small game season, and those hunting coyotes during daylight hours within open deer, bear or elk firearms seasons, must continue to wear, at all times, 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange material on the head, chest and back combined, visible 360 degrees. Woodchuck hunters must continue to wear a solid fluorescent orange hat at all times. And hunters in seasons for crows, doves, waterfowl, post-Christmas flintlock deer, spring turkeys and furbearers (with the exception of coyotes as noted above) continue without fluorescent orange requirements.

The requirement to post orange while deer, bear or elk hunting from an enclosed blind also remains.

Commissioners said the changes are intended to clear up the complexity of existing fluorescent orange requirements, which each year result in a significant number of violations detected by State Game Warden

So glad this is happening, I hate F O!

10-Apr-19
Gee thanks Mr.Helper. I was never a fan of FO in any seasons.

10-Apr-19
I’ll still probably wear it on public land, but it’s nice not to HAVE to wear it if I don’t want to!

10-Apr-19
It will be nice to have the option.

11-Apr-19
I'll most likely wear a hat moving. But it's nice knowing if I forget to put the hat on I won't get a ticket.

11-Apr-19
I'll wear it. No deer out there worth getting shot over.

11-Apr-19
I'll continue to wear a hat while moving as long as there is a season open that uses guns. I never found the FO rules to be confusing.

11-Apr-19
Now for the most part, I can chuck mine in the dumpster, where it belongs. Stupid rule to begin with.

11-Apr-19
I had to check to see if the sun rose in the West these past couple days with the PGC doing sensible things. Like everyone else, I'll keep wearing a hat most of the time on public land I've seen some scary things. But having the option is great.

I still wish they would ease the requirements on small game a little. I think having to wear a fluoro vest squirrel hunting with a .22 is a little much.

11-Apr-19
It's about time! That took WAY too many years. Why didn't they remove the FO requirement for small game archery hunting too? I don't have to wear it for archery hunting deer, but if I shoot at a squirrel with the same bow, during the same day, same woods, same stillhunt, orange is required? Retarded.

11-Apr-19
Whine, whine, whine.. I want, I want, I want... Some women are never happy.... Go play bingo ya old fart:)

12-Apr-19
This is GREAT news! I always dreaded the "orange week" of archery season in October. On the other hand, it is going to make it harder to spot all those trespassers roaming around. :)

12-Apr-19
Jeff- just be thankful you don't have to wear it when you're mushroom "hunting!" ;-)

13-Apr-19
So..........the ones at the back end of the rifles, in-lines, and shotguns have to wear orange.

And those of us in front of the rifles, in-lines, and shotguns don't?

Well, we got what we wanted.........................I guess.

13-Apr-19
That FO reg was tough for fall turkey hunting with a bow.

14-Apr-19
FO requirements for ground hog hunting is stupid.

14-Apr-19
Depends on the terrain, I was stalking a teenage hunters head a few years ago. Glad I didn't have a rifle.....

14-Apr-19
Exactly, Jeff.

14-Apr-19
I used to think so too. But I remember 15-20 years ago, maybe longer, time flies, when a kid was killed, his head mistaken for a groundhog by another hunter.

14-Apr-19
I remember that too, Jeff.

All it takes is one time and another human life is gone.

Then there will be comments, why didn't he have orange on???

15-Apr-19
I don't have a problem with FO, maybe because safety is drilled into us at work constantly. I'll still wear FO during the overlap. As others have said, it only takes one mistake.

15-Apr-19
It depends on where I'm hunting. My backyard woodlot won't require orange. I'll be wearing it when I'm in the same woods as gun hunters.

The whole orange thing never bothered me anyway.

20-Apr-19
Man, where to you all hunt ground hawgs at? I've never seen another hunter at mine.... LOL

Good points though..... I stand corrected... Thanks

• Sitka Gear