mattthehairy 30-May-19
Will 30-May-19
dieselsonly44 31-May-19
dieselsonly44 31-May-19
Dthfrmabove 31-May-19
dieselsonly44 31-May-19
mattthehairy 01-Jun-19
14-Apr-19
Did anyone here hunt Wachusett Res for shotgun/muzzy? Just seeing if it’s worth putting in for the lottery this year?

14-Apr-19
2 of my buddies got in. 1 SG 1 ML neither gave it much effort. I would expect to be successful walking with a gun, if there was 2-3 people there would be noise.

I will put in again.

15-Apr-19
I live in the back yard of Wachusett reservoir hunt areas. For an area that was not hunted for years the action was no better than usual in the area. But that's my perception. The surrounding area is heavily hunted all season long. You can't walk a 100 yards without seeing some type of deer stand. Actually it is depressing.

20-Apr-19
Spike, reports I got were that the lotto zones were "meh". I found the new areas hit hard this year (non lotto) ok. More deer than areas that have been legal for years with the wachusett permit, but not crazy. For central ma, its solid, but I dont think I'd mess with the lotto, rather, I would just hunt the normal permit zones.

22-Apr-19
I saw a lot of deer the first couple days of the hunt. By the middle of the week they had all moved on. Not sure about how muzzy season went. I had a good go during shotgun and will definitely put in again even though as folks have said there are plenty of (better) options nearby. Still fun to hunt out there.

30-May-19
hey guys, new to this site but not new to hunting. I hunt primarily central and western mass. have never participated or even applied for a controlled hunt. I did some quick research but how does one apply for the wachusett res hunt? The online instructions are pretty vague. is there an application date? has it happened yet? any and all info is appreciated. thanks for the help in advance.

30-May-19

mattthehairy's Link
Last year's hunt already happened, applications aren't open for 2019 till later this year. First step would be to get your Wachusett watershed DCR permit which you can do at any time with a form (linked) and optional visit to the office on 140 in West Boylston. Then you apply online for the hunt (check the Mass Wildlife newsletter), if selected in the drawing you have to go to an orientation class at the office on 140 where they'll stamp a wachusett hunt and parking permit for you. On hunt day(s) bring your permits (hunting license, DCR permit, wachusett permit, wachusett parking permit) and you're good to go.

30-May-19
matt - thanks for the info. so it sounds like I missed the application this year. how about for the quabbin controlled hunt? from what i can tell applications havent started for this one yet.

30-May-19
Sorry I'm all jacked up about years. This year's hunt application period (2019) hasn't happened yet. The discussion here was about the 2018 hunt. So you're not too late. Just make sure to get your DCR permit first.

30-May-19
Dieselonly - Matt nailed it.. you can still get in this year. You have to get the general DCR permit first - which his link lays out. The special area hunt on the res proper, that application has not started for 19. So you haven't missed it... You just have to keep checking the DCR wachusset deer hunt page to see it when it comes up.

31-May-19
Patt - thats sweet man good for you. I have had plenty of spots and success but I would love to apply and maybe get a chance to check it out. from what i was told about it, it sounds like it was a pretty intense hunt. Will - thanks. I applied for the general DCR permit and ill keep my eyes peeled for the applications for the controlled hunts.

You guys have any other stories / cool experiences from these controlled hunts in the past? the 14 point was pretty damn cool. I love hearing the mass hunting communities thoughts / experiences.

31-May-19
Actually, @pat u might be trollin lol. if you did in fact get tht 14 pt nice, but now that i think about it, i would've heard about that by now.

31-May-19

Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
Diesel. Don’t entertain Pat. It only leads to stupid stuff. He’s like the ugly stepchild that lives in the basement. We only let him out when company is not around

31-May-19
dthfrmabove - haha thanks for letting me know.

01-Jun-19
My advice for any controlled hunt is: don't hunt it the same way you would if it was "normal" public land. The amount of foot traffic and nonsense is through the roof on hunt days; especially opening days. I don't mean that to hate on anyone, just saying there are lots of folks with different styles and plans in relatively small areas.

At the res most folks went in at a small handfull of gates and if you look at the topos it's no wonder they did. Trick is that the cool secluded spot that stands out on the map or whatever when you're scouting is probably going to have tons of folks in it or walking through it on hunt days. You end up having to kind of game the system, find places where people won't go cause it doesn't look so good but animals will go on their path OUT of the controlled hunt area. You can find these corridors if you spend a little time with the topo maps. Get to a spot like that as early as is leagal and stay still and quiet. Even if people come walking through.

On the third day of shotgun at the res I found a HUGE bedding area near one of the main access points. Was pretty clear to me by that point in the hunt they were together in a large herd watching the access all morning. Folks that went in deep (those that I talked to, anyway) didn't see too many animals, those who stayed on the edges saw a lot. I'd imagine a larger area like the Q hunts which I've not done is a little different.

• Sitka Gear