COLO 3-D 19-Apr-19
Stoneman 19-Apr-19
Longcruise 19-Apr-19
Paul@thefort 19-Apr-19
Longcruise 19-Apr-19
Paul@thefort 20-Apr-19
16-Apr-19

Stix's Link
My Message to CPW: Keep messing with the fastest growing segment of hunting (BOWHUNTERS), and pretty soon you'll have no one wanting to come to Colorado with your continuing attacks on bowhunters. You'll have nothing but your unemployment checks from loss of license revenue. https://wgfd.wyo.gov/News/More-hunters-choose-Wyoming-for-elk-hunting

16-Apr-19
Hell, I’m headed to Wyoming! Better quality hunt in all respects.

16-Apr-19
There wouldn't be a single government job lost if hunting was banned tomorrow. The taxpayers would pay their salaries. Government bureaucracies live forever!

16-Apr-19
After 7 years of buying preferences points, I drew.

$350 in point fees, $1300 for a special license with a voluntary donation to the Access Yes Program. Going elk hunting in Wyoming = priceless.

Meanwhile, the current "ideas" being discussed for Colorado archery elk seasons at last weeks Commission meeting, and the sportsman's roundtable on Saturday are to split the 30 day season into two 15 day seasons, limit it totally, shorten it by a week, and even stranger stuff ideas. Wrote and sent a long letter tonight from CBA, will share it soon with all of you. These ideas aren't coming from CPW, but other interest groups, and our own Colorado hunters.

16-Apr-19
Bingo!

16-Apr-19

16-Apr-19

16-Apr-19
http://congressionalsportsmen.org/policies/state/hunter-recruitment-retention-and-reactivation

Kansas

https://ksoutdoors.com/Hunting/Hunting-Programs/Hunter-Recruitment-and-Retention-Effort

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/5/31/first-light-hunter-recruitment-efforts-shift-to-adults/

http://www.ihea-usa.org/instructors/hunter-recruitment-and-retention

Just a few tops hits on the search engine. States are scrambling to recruit and retain hunters. Colorado has what they all want. A segment of hunting that is growing steadily. You would think they would be trying to foster and enhance the quantity and quality of bowhunting but instead our opportunities get chipped away at and we are told to basically forget asking for something new or better "or else". A win for bowhunting in Colorado is now defined as keeping something we already had or not losing as much as we could have.

Bowhunting is growing

Bowhunting generates more revenue for the CPW per surplus animal

Bowhunting results in far more recreation days per tag

Bowhunting allows more people the opportunity to hunt per surplus animal

Seems like a great asset for managers looking to do the most with a limited resource.

16-Apr-19
I don't understand a few things here.. firstly, the concept of going to two week archery season.. if they concern is that archery hunters in the woods for 30 days impact elk behavior, wouldn't the same amount of hunters in a shorter period have the same or worse impact?? Secondly, the CPW business model.. they make a vast amount of money from archery hunters, specifically non resident archery hunters.. so, why on earth would they jeopardize that revenue stream?? Makes zero business sense and even less common sense..

16-Apr-19
Bowhunting is expanding nationwide, but I don't think its growing in a way that will make many people very happy on this forum.

I think the biggest segment of growth from "archery" has come from crossbows nationwide. I could be wrong but I have a feeling all these states legalizing crossbows is really what has padded recent archery numbers.

For sure the urban sprawl has helped some too. As city's suburbs expand often the only viable choice for hunting small acreages is a bow.

16-Apr-19
Attack the only segment of hunting that is growing, while hunting is declining nationwide.

Real smart.

16-Apr-19
I really respect employees at CPW, there are some great people who work there, no doubt about it.

Right now, I just think we are in the "crazy idea" portion of BGSS. Every BGSS seems to have that phase, we will get through it. I just need to make a bunch of phone calls to have personal conversations with commissioners. We need to make sure they come out of the phase with keep it simple, the sky isn't falling, common sense intact. I just spoke to Marvin, it put my mind at ease.

Early June will be when we see proposals on paper, I am somewhat confident some of the crazy, and complex ideas will fall of the chart.

Keep your focus, but feel free to continue to write commissioners in a respectful way about what you support, and what you think is insane.

Again, alot of these ideas are not CPW, but other interest groups, and hunters themselves. We need to think about our neighbors, not ourselves, and be grateful for the blessings we do have.

I'm grateful...heading to Wyoming this fall. Someone else can have my CO tag.

16-Apr-19
I think there are plenty of intelligent, well intentioned people at the CPW. But like basically all government agencies, they are steered by politics, pressure, money and CYA.

16-Apr-19
Here is one of my responses from seven months ago on the topic of season structure. I told you guys then what would happen but everyone said I was full of $h!t. CPW has stated at numerous meetings, as well as, to the CBA directly that if they keep pushing especially toward muzzleloaders they will get the short end of the stick. Most didn't listen and look whats happening bowhunters are going to get the short end of the stick in the next season structure.

From: Orion 27-Sep-18 Would love to see rifle bear moved to August 1st to the 31st. Bears are way active then and it gets it out of archery. Moose and goat tags should be longer. When I drew goat it was only 10 days still killed one but more time would have been nice. CPW has already told the CBA that if they keep griping about muzzleloaders they will get the short end of the stick.

16-Apr-19
The CBA is not griping about Muzzleloaders at all. Zippo, NADA, not one I-oda.

The earliest bear can start under statute is Sept 2. It ain't changing unless you have lots of buddies at the Capitol.

Not sure where your getting your info, but thanks for telling us you told us so.

If CPW would say something to the CBA, it would be to me. I am the liaison. No one has told me any of what your saying.

16-Apr-19
Grasshopper. I want to personally thank you for all the work you are doing and your calm and practical approach. I agree with you about the "crazy idea" phase. I remember 5 years ago there were all kinds of wild changes being tossed around and none of them ended up happening. I know we need to be proactive about our views and agenda, but it seems like a lot of guys hear about something being discussed and fly off the handle like it's already decided. As Grasshopper stated, we need to send respectful, well thought out opinions to the commissioners rather than complaining on here about how all is lost. Thanks again to Grasshopper and lets get as many letters in to the commissioners as possible.

16-Apr-19
Superpredator your information is not correct there's is a group pushing for it not CBA

16-Apr-19
Superpredator, I also do not know where you are getting your ideas that the CBA might be "pushing" to get the ML season changed out of the 30 days Early Season. No doubt there might be a few within the ranks of the CBA membership that has suggested an adjustment and even on this site but no official position has ever been expressed or moved forward. During the time I was the DOW Liasion from the CBA in the early 2000s the CBA examined this issue and the end results of that examination was that the DOW, now the CPW was NEVER going to make the change UNLESS there was a major adjustment to the early season and that adjustment would mean a shorter archery season. I suggested to the CBA BOD that this issue/subject needed to be dropped as the mindset of the DOW was not about to change and if the CBA continued to "push" this agenda, the pushing would result in a shorter season.

No doubt there are still some bow hunters that continue to want a clear separation of the ML season from the archery season and those views, I have heard them, are expressed at the CPW meetings as well as on this site and I am sure, some CPW staff still hears those expressions but they are NOT coming from the CBA board of directors.

17-Apr-19
I didn't say from the CBA board of directors, it was CBA members I was at the meeting. CPW straight up told those individuals that if their was a loss of opportunity it would come from archery. Not bad info it was said plain as day and guess what it looks like it is coming to fruition.

17-Apr-19
Orion, I am confused with your reply, are you also Superpredator?

17-Apr-19
yes for some reason when I post on my phone it gives me another screen name

17-Apr-19
I want that feature, if you figure it out tell me how to enable that.

17-Apr-19
You stated, " to the CBA directly" Is that not the CBA board of directors and not just one or two CBA members that might attend a CPW meeting. Not trying to nitpick but just trying to clarify and get the story straight. my best, Paul

17-Apr-19
Sorry I meant to the members at the meeting. Yes there was nothing directly to the CBA that I'm aware of

17-Apr-19
"These ideas aren't coming from CPW"

If CPW told you this they are not speaking the truth. I had a DWM in middle park last year tell me that they (CPW) are pushing to remedy what they (CPW) perceive as a crowding issue. It's coming from staff in the OTC areas. It's coming from DWM's up to senior level staff in these areas.

It may not be every single staff member in these areas, but it's enough to get the issue brought forth.

It appears that CPW started the discussion and other stakeholder groups caught on and signed on.

17-Apr-19
This DWM was at a popular trailhead checking licenses. The lot was full. I told her that a good number of vehicles were from trail users and hikers, not bow/ ML hunters as I had seen them.

I continued to tell her that with state population exploding, more and more other recreational users are using the trailheads during early fall but during the rifle seasons these users are not out there due to weather, and it gives the appearance like there is an overcrowding of bowhunters in Sept.

She looked at me like I was from outer space.

17-Apr-19
Stix, So are you saying there isn't an overcrowding issue?

17-Apr-19
I'm not saying anything but CPW "perceives" there is and they're the ones that matter.

17-Apr-19
That's up to oneself to define what one considers overcrowded.

I may have seen plenty of folks at the trailheads, but not too many people deeper into forest. IMHO, Plenty of room to disperse.

17-Apr-19
Agree with Stix. Trailhead I used last fall was primarily hikers and mountain bikers not bowhunters.

17-Apr-19
OVER CROWDING??????? In the near past the DOW now CPW biologists/staff have tried to prove that the increasing number of bow hunters in the field during the Early Season causes SOME early migration from National Forest to Private property. (This may have happened in some units.) There was the White River Study back in the mid 1990s, that may have shown that 15-20-25% of the elk migrated early to private land from the Flat Top Wilderness Area units as soon as the pressure was felt by increased hunting pressure by bow hunters in then, OTC units. These OTC units were they changed to Limited Draw. The CPW used the same study to change the OTC units of 54, 55, and 551 to limited draw as they had anecdotal evidence that the cause of early migration was similar in those units also. Area ranchers also complained of too many elk descending on their properties and destroying hay piles and other foods.

I am sure that now that there are 40,000 plus bowhunters hunting elk in the 30 days Early Season, the CPW feels a similar threat of early migration caused by increasing numbers of bow hunters and this threat might be statewide.

So why be threatened? Well since bow hunter success was labeled, recreational hunting (bow hunters kill around 5,000 elk) and not game management hunting at one time, and the numbers of bow hunters and the success was not a threat to the over all picture of game management, there might not have been a huge threat in the past.

But as bow hunter numbers have increased, (more that doubled since 1988) now there might be a threat to the over all system of elk management. Rifle elk success and the over all management of Colorado's Elk herd, is based on the number of elk killed b by rifle hunters and if a larger percentage of elk migrate out of the National Forest to private land, from pressure of the Early Season participants, I believe the CPW will seek remedies to correct this early migration by limiting Early Season participation. ML rifle season participation has been controlled by all limited ML elk licenses.

Yea, I know Early Season Participation, ie, Sept, hosts many people in the out of doors that time of year, besides bow hunters, but I doubt if the CPW staff sees that has part of the larger issue of early elk migration.

Will limiting elk bow hunters in the Early Season be next by limited draw, or OTC with caps? Will the CPW limit nonresident participation by creating Limited Draw elk license, decreasing the number of elk bow hunters? (nearly half of Colorado elk bow hunters are non residents (cash cows for sure).

Or will the CPW Staff just recommend Status Quo?

It might be a game of darts. Place the options on the wall, and throw a dart at them!

my best, Paul

18-Apr-19
"Will limiting elk bow hunters in the Early Season be next by limited draw, or OTC with caps?"

I've always been frustrated that the CBA doesn't lobby for OTC with caps instead of just being ok with bowhunting opportunity being limited. OTC with caps ensures that no serious bowhunter loses the opportunity to hunt...the only guys who lose out are the guys who aren't very serious about getting a tag in the first place.

18-Apr-19
Otc with caps is limiting licenses with no allocation based on residency. If your going to have limits, why not make it a draw and get 65/35? We have a 52/48 split right now in Otc areas. With Otc caps you get a leftover day purchase experience, bad taste there. The only advantage to Otc caps is you don't have to burn points. I think 5 percent of our survey liked Otc caps. I don't think guys like it for bear. I think it was tried in Gunnison for elk, and abandoned.

Are you a member?

18-Apr-19
"The only advantage to Otc caps is you don't have to burn points." The big advantage of OTC with caps is that EVERY serious bowhunter gets to hunt EVERY year. No serious bowhunter loses any bowhunting opportunity. What's not to love about that!? OTC with caps works amazingly well for bear in the Gunnison area units where I live...I've had a bear tag every year since the OTC with caps has been in place. And OTC with caps was never tried in the Gunnison Basin for elk...never.

I was a member of the CBA for years, but I let my membership expire when I felt they let us down out here in Gunnison when we went limited a decade ago. We asked the CBA to recommend OTC with caps instead of limitation and the CBA refused to do so. That being said, I'll be the first to say that there are a lot of GREAT folks that are involved in the CBA and I'm thankful they are there. I'm just disappointed that they let the bowhunters in Gunnison down when we needed them the most.

18-Apr-19
Everyone can hunt every year with what we have now. I just wrote the commission stating what CBA supports is all resident hunters being able to hunt annually. Right now, the momentum is to split the season. No one at the last commission meeting was talking about OTC with caps!

In my opinion, that whole gunnison limitation deal was about getting vouchers. They didn't get them because not all seasons went limited. I think the quota for archers is very large, not sure if it takes points or not now. Have you ever not drawn an elk tag with the quota?

Personally, I like totally limited, but that would cause mass upheaval in the points system for the foreseeable future, According to our survey folks don't want that. Limits, are Limits. I'm not here to push for anyone other than the what the majority wants. Step back up buddy, while I get you were disappointed, I'll bet you still have blessings!

I asked CPW if they ever used OTC with caps for elk, they told me gunnison - if that was bad info. Sorry.

18-Apr-19
Not being argumentative, but don't understand your thinking on this statement.

"OTC with caps ensures that no serious bowhunter loses the opportunity to hunt...the only guys who lose out are the guys who aren't very serious about getting a tag in the first place.

18-Apr-19
If you don't buy an OTC with caps tag quickly, all of them could sell out. If you wait until August to purchase, they might be gone and unavailable. Colorado would no longer be a viable "last resort" dumping ground for guys who didn't draw in other states. All of this is "in theory"

18-Apr-19
Over the counter with caps for non residents, like Idaho does, has been my suggestion since the start. If handled and done right, CPW would gain control of the herds, be able to manage the herds, and still make the money needed for their budgets. I've argued this on here and on Facebook with CPW.

Splitting the season into to seperate seasons would be the worst thing to do, cause we'd end up with very short seasons, just like New Mexico. Do you really only want to hunt elk only nine says a year, if you draw a tag... Very bad idea, and yo want and push for this means the idea hasn't been studied on.

Our issue is this. Wildlife management had been almost zero in most gmu's, while CPW is always pushing the money issue. And as much as you want to get involved, judging from past history of the CPW, your input is going to be ignored in favor of the bottom dollar. With the sudden and unannounced changes they had in 2019, to make more money, I have no doubt we will see no changes in the license stystem in 2020.

18-Apr-19
OK, thanks, I didn't think of it that way -- makes sense now.

18-Apr-19
My concern with OTC with caps for res and/or non res is the typical system meltdown that we have had to deal with the past few years.

18-Apr-19
I'm with Steve. Going totally limited caps nr's at max of 35%

18-Apr-19
Are we talking rifle and archery going limited? Limiting it all, at numbers that have a decent effect could be a big revenue hit with nonresident rifle hunter numbers dropping. Limiting just archery won't fix much herd wise.

18-Apr-19
Limited how? Per unit? Because more gmu's have more resident hunters the others, you'd have to break down the tags per unit, not state wide. How would you determine how many tags each gmu gets? 35% of how many tags? 35% of 100 tags means only have 65 residents hunting? If you're going to do that, the best thing is to make it all draw, so you'd be able to hunt at least every other year, if not every two years. And do you think the CPW is going to be happy loosing all that money from non resident tags? That's a lot of money...

18-Apr-19
They don't have to lose money they will just need to raise prices. Look at the other states fees for elk licenses Colorado is still on the cheap end. At least with limiting it they will be able to tell what kind of pressure each unit is getting and a better idea on how many elk are actually getting killed. Right now both those are just guesses at best.

18-Apr-19
Cheap side ..... hmmmm, $762.50, and that's not including taking 3 pp's at $107.00, each for us to draw. That's a little over $1,008.00. I don't consider that "on the cheap end".

I'm not complaining, just saying that IMHO, CO appears to be pretty much in line with the rest of them.

18-Apr-19
There's nothing that says they can't create a limited license good in all current OTC units with 45k licenses available. This means all current hunters could get a license, with residents having priority ( since 65% is available in the draw ) and NRs buying up the rest during leftovers. This doesn't change the revenue curve, doesn't leave R's without a license, and puts a cap on just how far we're willing to let this go.

Yes, theoretically as we continue to gain more R hunters, the revenue curve will start to drop slightly, as fewer NRs pick up from the leftover list, but its not a huge swing in revenue. If CPW really needs that money, set the # of licenses to be revenue neutral (with current numbers) at full participation from R's, and there's your ceiling.

18-Apr-19
Go all limited draw for Non-Residents keep Resident OTC. Reduce non resident allocation to 20%. Raise license fees for both resident and non resident to recoup revenue loss. That will also ensure Colorado is not a last chance dumping ground for guys that don't draw elsewhere.

18-Apr-19
inshart I was talking over the counter so take the preference point fees out. Colorado is on the cheaper end when compared to other western states. I also wouldn't mind paying more on the resident side either. I say get rid of otc go to an 80/20 res non res split across the state and adjust the fees accordingly.

19-Apr-19
Additional Crowding for sure during the September Early Season statewide. 2018 data

1. ML rifle elk = 11,534

2. Early PLO elk = 8,066

3. Sept bear PLO = 1,142

4. Reg Sept Rife bear = 9,454

5.ML Sept bear = 729

Total Sept 30,925 bear and elk hunters

Then add in the High Country Early Rife buck season above tree line. Sheep and goat rifle hunts in Sept. A few rifle cow elk hunts on Public Land. And if you want to add in more pressure, one can add in, hikers, bikers, atvs, grouse hunters, campers, and lets not forget leaf and wildlife viewers. Pressure from out side of the bow hunting season, you bet. And are these factors added in the "too many bow hunters" equation, pressuring the elk?

So now we have nearly 42,000 addition rifle hunters in Sept during the Sept archery elk season.

19-Apr-19
Paul,

And how many elk bowhunters?

Total archery tags can be skewed by guys that will have deer, elk and bear tags in their pockets as well as elk.

19-Apr-19
That is true and Steve has been tying to figure, per the CPW, out exactly how many only elk bowhunter/licenses there are. Some say 38,000 some state 44,000 and then up to 48,000.

19-Apr-19
So...

Approximately 1/2 of the hunters in the field in September are bowhunters and the other 1/2 are hunting with muzzle loading and high-power rifles. Got it.

Colorado is one of the few states that does not have an archery only season, without rifle hunters on top of bowhunters. Heck, we are sharing the field with an equal number of gun hunters!

And CPW's published BGSS option or "solution" is to go to fully limited archery hunting?

Something is very, very screwed up.

CPW certainly seems to be out of touch.

Why isn't the CBA working to get an archery season? Why allow any more rifle hunters on top of bowhunters when we should be pushing to get our own seasons?

19-Apr-19
Do they really not know how many otc archery licenses they sell?

19-Apr-19
Orion, It would seem to be a very easy thing for them to calculate.

19-Apr-19
"Why isn't the CBA working to get an archery season? "

Why are there only 169 - 'Out of State' CBA memberships?

19-Apr-19
Take out the ml hunters that are confined to one week and and PLO hunters who are not likely to be interfering with bow hunters and that's 21,471 of those hunters that are going to have minimal impact on bow hunters.

Cpw is not going to take rifle bear hunters out of September. That's the primary opportunity to manage bear populations. Ml hunters, bow hunters and regular rifle hunters probably don't take a very high percentage of the bear harvest.

I don't think there's a chance in Hades that there will ever be an archery only season without forfeiting a whole lot of season. In fact, there's only been a few years in history when there was an archery only season in Colorado.

In a world where everything is politics and everything is compromise, we need to balance what we want with what is possible.

19-Apr-19
Mike, all of the above "rifle" hunters and other non consumptive people , I have listed, have a huge impact on the elk herds and their dispersal during September and even where a bow hunter might end up hunting. Bow hunters are NOT the only people that are moving elk and when you almost double the individuals in the Early Season, more elk will move and some of those head for private properties and other hard to get to areas a reason for the CPW to change a OTC to limited draw like the Flat Tops, units 54, 55, 51, and units 7/8.

I agree, there will never be an archery only Early Season.. The DOW changed that definition to a Early Season of opportunity for a variety of Manners Of Take and for Game Management purposes, over 15 years ago.

Over Crowding during the Early Season? One CPW staff member stated to me at a Round Table meeting that the CBA has done too good of a job recruiting bow hunters to hunt Colorado.

The Reality of that statement is not correct. It was not because of the CBA. The DOW/CPW has done a great job attracting bow hunters to Colorado, boasting of 320,000, ie, 1 of every 4 elk in the US. (years 2000). Having unlimited OTC licenses for Residents and Nonresidents. The CPW has/had run many TV ads out of state attracting hunters to Colorado.

19-Apr-19
It may have seemed like I was disagreeing with you but the crux of my thinking was that 21,000 of those hunters are not likely to be literally encountered during your hunt.

The suggestion that CBA is responsible for the number of Bowhunters in Colorado is ridiculous. Hopefully it's just the misguided opinion of a few rather rather than a widespread misconception.

20-Apr-19
Mike we are on the same page. Paul

• Sitka Gear