Wishedhead 16-Apr-19
Jeff in MN 17-Apr-19
Wishedhead 17-Apr-19
jjs 17-Apr-19
bfisherman11 18-Apr-19
RJN 18-Apr-19
Drop Tine 18-Apr-19
16-Apr-19
Thought about adding 6-8 hybrid chestnut trees around the yard. They are very expensive. Grow tall, straight, disease resistant and a variety of animals use them. Only problem is they recommend planting trees within 50' of each other for pollination purposes. How far apart is too far when planting them?

16-Apr-19
50'?

16-Apr-19

GoJakesGo's embedded Photo
GoJakesGo's embedded Photo

16-Apr-19
I've been planting Chinese chestnuts for a few yrs. I planted them in our apple orchard about 35' apart. Just remember, if they say they will produce in 3-5 yrs expect more like 6-10 unless your watering them regularly.

16-Apr-19
I bought 10 trees today. I turn 38 on Friday so I doubt I will ever be able to hunt around a mature tree. Elm and Ash are now being wiped out by disease. Just hoping to put a little variety back in the woods

16-Apr-19
I bought and have planted about 15 of them in the last few years. Most importantly- they do not like to get thier feet wet!!!!!! Plant them in well drained upland not anything that stays wet they will not make it. I had the best luck with trees in the 7 gallon pots. 3 gallon pots were good but not like the older trees. My 5 older ones produced about 30 chestnuts each this year. Fence them with 5 foot western fence or the deer will destroy them. Three posts should support them. Put a circle of weed guard and a foot of bark mulch and that will help keep them moist. I have never watered any of mine but we have not had a hot extended dry spell in the last 4 years- the growing season has been great. They are worth the effort and I have people comment on how nice they look. The 7 gallon trees are now 11-12 ft tall.

17-Apr-19
Not sure what a 'western fence' is. I use the 6x6 inch concrete reinforcing mesh to protect my young trees from deer. Just stake them down good.

17-Apr-19
Square fence like at menards

17-Apr-19
Just a suggestion on a nut tree, I would suggest putting in some butternut and fence them off, it is a deer attractant. Put some in on my property when lived in Wi. and they were taking off very well until the buyer turned the area into a atv track.

18-Apr-19
I bought 5 dry root stock recently. A combination of three Chinese and two pollinator variety. Hopefully they will make it, I am planting them either this week or next. I have some fabric tree rings to put down and all the wood chips/mulch I can make (ha). I always fence my new trees as well as put bark protectors on them. Maybe a lot of protection but I have to protect from rabbits and deer. I will be 60 this year, my hope is to see them grow and get used by the deer. If I get some extra chestnuts for me, all the better.

Bill

18-Apr-19
2' window screen, landscape fabric and pea gravel, and 5' concrete wire has worked best for me.

18-Apr-19

Drop Tine's Link
Here is some food for thought.

• Sitka Gear