ColoBull 21-Apr-19
Dirk Diggler 21-Apr-19
cnelk 21-Apr-19
SoDakSooner 25-Apr-19
DIYELK 25-Apr-19
ELKBUSTER 27-Apr-19
Aspen Ghost 27-Apr-19
17-Apr-19
Looking to do a summer trip last weekend in June for some scouting. I have always just did my scouting off maps on the computer, burned my points on a unit. If I get drawn I thought I would scout the unit. If not, I thought I would like to spend some time scouting a couple of OTC units I hunt.

What are the rules on camping during the summer? Can you set up in any public meadow along the roads with a base camp? What about back country camping? I assume the main thing is to check fire dangers and what you can have for fires, if any. Other thoughts you might recommend as to be aware of?

17-Apr-19
Don't think you have much issue in a National Forest.

17-Apr-19
Fire danger should be low this year.

The end of June may still be a bit early for access to the really high stuff due to snow lingering but should be good to about 10K.

You can camp about anywhere you find a nice spot. I think the USFS limits you to 14 days in one spot.

Runoff should be pretty good this year due to all the snow, but you will be able to find fishing that is not blown out if you poke around. That is still early for the lakes up at treeline as they will most likely still be iced over.

If you are thinking the last week of June and in the Flattops, you might think about checking out the CTAS High Country Shoot that will be June 20-23. It is one of the best archery events in the country!

17-Apr-19
Thanks for the info.

Last year I ran into a great couple, man and woman, who were traditional archers. They were telling me about the shoot. Wish it was one weekend later. Fishing sounds really good. Put in for 49, we will see if I draw, with 5. Insider says I should, we will see. If not, back to a couple of my OTC units to scout.

19-Apr-19
49 is a lot of high country. High passes will probably still be snowed in. Weston is a good area to look around that time of year. Lots of critters move up there for the summer.

There is some really good fishing in South Park at Antero and Spiney Mountain Reservoir as well as in the river. The Arkansas will be cranked up at that time of year.

20-Apr-19
Just watch for signs, some of the forest districts mainly near Denver have enacted controls on where you can camp and park etc, pretty good signage though, just pay attention and bring plenty of bug dope or it won't be a very pleasant vacation!

21-Apr-19
Colorado Hunt Atlas has an overlay of motorized vehicle access. It shows dots on the legal dispersed camping areas. I believe it’s pretty accurate and thorough. Enjoy you vacation.

21-Apr-19
The Forest service has rules about how far from a road you can drive, & how close to a stream you can camp. I don't recall the specifics. The 14 day rule is occasionally enforced. They can get pissy about any kind of excavation - pile rocks to level a camper, rather than digging any hole. We've rarely has any issues, but there was this one year, when some goofball drove 3 miles into the wilderness (past signs) near the end of the road. They came back down, stopping at every camp, citing everyone, for any violation in the books (that's how we learned about the proximity to streams, and digging rules). Best to check the regs. Have fun!

21-Apr-19
Colobull is right, I believe it's a set distance from a marked trail as well as streams, I believe its 200yds but don't quote me. From the streams so you don't foul the water and from the trail so you don't impact someone else's experience. I try and keep my camp out of sight for multiple reasons.

21-Apr-19
Dispersed camping is allowed on NF out to 300ft from the road in designated areas. 100ft in non-designated.

DISPERSED CAMPING INFORMATION Dispersed camping can be in either designated areas or in non-designated areas. When camping in non-designated areas, the general rule is to be 100 feet from any road, trail or water source. Some areas in National Forests are closed to dispersed camping, so check postings carefully and check with the local Ranger District

25-Apr-19
Check your pm's.

25-Apr-19
Thanks for all the help in pm's and here.

27-Apr-19
mosquito spray. didn't take it last time I went in july. was camping high at 11000 and got ate slap up and im from Louisiana.

27-Apr-19
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd576017.pdf This gives the NF dispersed camping rules for some of the NFs in SW Colorado. Check the NF website for your forest of interest and the specific rules for that area will be there.

Most will limit motor vehicles and campers to within 300 ft of road but you can tent camp any distance (provided your motorized vehicle stays within 300 ft or road).

Most will require camping at least 100 ft from road, trail or water. My experience has been that many dispersed camping spots are less than 100 ft from the road but they have been used for many years and the NF would rather you use these existing spots than try to clear a lane further back in.

• Sitka Gear