Thornton 31-May-19
cherney12 31-May-19
Zmax 31-May-19
Thornton 31-May-19
cherney12 01-Jun-19
Kansasclipper 01-Jun-19
writer 01-Jun-19
23-Apr-19
When are nonresident deer permits drawn?

23-Apr-19
You will see them around the end of June

23-Apr-19
Last year May 19 results were available.

23-Apr-19
Yea cervus you are right May

26-Apr-19
I tell you guys it's getting pretty pricey. I put in for a friend who wants to try his luck at drawing a Mule Deer tag and it was like $729 total. Pretty steep price to hunt a dang ole deer.

27-Apr-19
The tag is the least expensive part of hunting. Some guys pay that much for corn. You could price those tags at $1500 and it would have no effect. $700 is about 3 days pay.

27-Apr-19
I guess I need to find a different job Clipper! Lol

J/k, I know I don’t get paid a lot...

27-Apr-19
Thanks for the replies guys/gals.

20-May-19
anyone seen or heard about draw results yet?

20-May-19
Nope

20-May-19
I called on Friday and they said by the end of the month.

20-May-19
I called The Parks and wildlife office and they told me results will be available by the first of June

21-May-19
I'll never understand how electronic draws can take literally weeks .... they're electronic, the information should already be there to access and submit for results right ?

I hope I don't draw - I asked to be removed from the pool 3 weeks ago and they said no, my name was already in.

21-May-19
Why stealthycat ?

21-May-19
His xgun broke?

21-May-19
Corn feeder broke?

21-May-19
Oh

21-May-19
$10k... that’s what I reliably heard some guys spent on corn/feed in one season on about 200 acres. Not far from me... can not compete with that.

22-May-19
Wow!THAT is a LOT of corn.Didn't check my records but I fed about 6 tons of corn this past winter to some starving deer and think it was around $800.

22-May-19
Counting the days. I've done a ton of scouting and hoping for my first KS deer tag this season.

23-May-19
Leftee this is a year-long “feeding program”. Corn is part of it, but they have a custom “blend” as well.

It’s stupid.

24-May-19
Totally agree.

24-May-19
I have a friend whose lessors buy 1200 lb of feed a month for 5 miles of river year around. In the last several years they've only shot two that went 170"s. Waste of money and effort IMO.

24-May-19
If they woulda shot 10 that went 200"+ it woulda been a waste of money. I wouldn't say there is much effort in hauling out some corn. About like feeding your pets.

24-May-19
Draw results should go out very soon.

NO leftovers this year. Demand exceeded supply for the first time in all units.

Considering there are no good deer and no good places to hunt, interest still seems to be increasing and a lot of people keep coming back over and over.

25-May-19
What do you need to do to get your $97.50 back for the hunting license? For the first time in 9 years, we did not draw as a group. I missed a couple years in there where I didn't apply, but this is the first time that we didn't draw when applied.

It required us to purchase a hunting license before we could put in for the NR draw.

I'm assuming we need to call Pratt? Good luck to everyone who drew successful!

25-May-19
I was unsuccessful, first time in 4 years and my second choice unit is usually a 100% draw :(

25-May-19
Why get it back? It will still be good when you apply next year. Just put in before your license expires. It is good from the date of purchase.

25-May-19
OH YEAAAAAAA. I'm deer hunting in Kansas again. Can't wait to see all my Kansas friends again.

25-May-19
Kansasclipper....Even if I could apply next year with this hunting license, wouldn't I need to purchase an additional one to be able to hunt in November of 2020?

25-May-19
Kansasclipper....Even if I could apply next year with this hunting license, wouldn't I need to purchase an additional one to be able to hunt in November of 2020?

25-May-19
Got my tag Clipper. I might have to cancel one of my summer vacations. Nah

25-May-19
To hunt you would but not for the application if you do it before the expiration date. They are good 1 year from purchase, then if you draw next year, buy the license after the results. Read this on AT "My buddy just spoke with Pratt. They said they’ve been getting calls all morning because the results aren’t supposed to be out until the 14th. Lady in Pratt said she thinks their system has been hacked. ***"

25-May-19
Talked to someone in Pratt on a weekend better yet a holiday weekend LOL

25-May-19
Sean, welcome to the era of application systems that require some non-refundable skin in the game before eligibility for tags/points. Nearly every state west of Kansas charges $60-$160 before you’re in the hat these days. Arizona deer points will ding you for $175, Nevada $170, Colorado is up to $112 roughly. Montana and Wyoming are the exceptions, but they get you elsewhere. It’s the perfect way for states to inflate their hunting license numbers for a much bigger kickback from the federal dollars dished out, whether the hunter ever steps foot in their state or not. I can’t say for sure Kansas isn’t giving refunds, I know there was some talk last year of them. Very dumb on their part if they are though. No one else is.

25-May-19
I am just showing the post I saw. Thought the same thing myself.

25-May-19
KB. I don't disagree with the dollar amounts and charging for applying. Other states call that buying a preference point. Why wouldn't they just change the preference point to $100 instead of $27.50 and not make people apply for a hunting license? I have no problem paying money to hunt other states, it just seems strange in the way they try to make the extra money....

25-May-19
By selling a hunting license it allows for a threefold kickback in federal Pittman/Robertson dollars to the department. So your $97.50 comes back to the state worth a hell of a lot more than a simple point fee. There are only a handful of states left that sell points specifically. Kansas, Iowa, Wyoming, and Montana are about it. Maybe South Dakota for rifle hunts. The others charge a hunting license fee up front and then allow you to buy or apply for not much more. Arizona is $160 for a non-refundable license and then $15 for a point. CO, UT, NV and the coastal states are all similar. New Mexico and Idaho charge for a hunting license before you’re entered into a points-free lottery system. So you’re out $65 and $160 respectively without even a point to show for if unsuccessful. They’re all playing the system to their advantage. Sounds better to us to just pay for points or app fees, but that’s not where they maximize their opportunity.

25-May-19
Because people draw a tag then never purchase a hunting license. Unfortunately it is a major problem. Should be mandatory for both residents and non residents. I hope the state will never issue a tag that is drawn until the license is purchased. I also think that all resident tags and landowner tags should be required to be purchased at the court house or KDWPT office along with a valid Kansas drivers license. People purchasing a home in Kansas does not entitle them to a resident tag. Have to be a permanent resident. Living here 2 weeks out of the year doesn't qualify. This is another huge problem.

25-May-19
I would think the easiest thing for KDWPT to do would charge say 90 bucks for NR license and than if someone does not draw, keep the money and award them a preference point. I am going to move to Iowa and establish a summer home in Kansas and see if I qualify for both states as a resident!! (LOL)!! I did not apply but bought a point and I also bought one for Iowa and that will give me 4 for Iowa. Maybe draw both next year and hunt from mid-Oct til Thanksgiving!! Congrats to folks who drew! Shawn

25-May-19
The "easiest thing the state can do"..lol

Sorry Shawn... the state is not gonna lower the fees.

97.50 is the NR hunting license fee. Non-refundable

27.50 is charged to all unsuccessful applicants and they receive a preference point for another season.

The state is hoping unsuccessful applicants of deer tags will still come to Ks to hunt other species, during other seasons... if a hunter has a license.. maybe he will come hunt Turkey, Upland, etc..

If the state has 4000 applicants denied.. they still pocket $390,000, plus, each license sold helps them get more PR dollars from the Feds.., its win/win/win for the state.

25-May-19
Last week I was told by lady at Pratt if you didn’t get drawn send in a request for money back with the license and they will grant refund.

26-May-19
Question? Does anyone have a link or a concrete explanation of exactly how the NON Resident deer draw works? Does the computer scroll through all the collective NON RES apps, grab a name, and then if that person's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th UNIT /WEAPON choice is available then they are awarded. Curious on this. Thanks in advance.

26-May-19
Sorry but they do give you the money back for your license. You must call Pratt and request a refund. # buddies that did not get drawn last year all got their money back for the license. Shawn

26-May-19
Shawn, I have no idea if this is legitimate, but I’ve heard the goal is a non refundable license and these are baby steps to that end; but who knows? This is Kansas, they’re clueless.

26-May-19
Kansas is not clueless. The only problem is instead of listening to the professionals we have hired and the seven commissioners. The listening is to the legislature and people that believe the rut is a small ditch and vote what they know. They don't know jack about wildlife and were close to be lead astray again by a self serving rep that is in the hunt for money business. Luckily we killed it this year but it will be back, just for the sake of dollars and damned the resources.

26-May-19
Umm, keepemsharp, that’s my definition of clueless???

26-May-19
Legislature is clueless, and some of the commissioners as well. Some of the commissioners have been known to set the seasons around there own schedules.

26-May-19
Those commissioners have been gone quite a few years. One of the two did more research and retracted his desires the next year and followed the biologist. KS...Dave is talking about the department understanding things, but they’re often get over-ridden by the legislature. Dave and I don’t always agree, though usually do, but he was already up to his neck in this stuff when I started writing about it in the early 80s. Seen Dave at a lot of commission meetings, and at the legislature several times through the decades.

27-May-19
If you guys think KS is messed up you should see how the commissioners here do. Too many bucks killed here to have a good balanced heard , even thought he biologists says less bucks and more does need harvested. Some call it " deer for dollars program". We have 4 counties that are archery only and some real nice bucks come from there. You would think that would be a clue to go to a 1 buck limit but nooooo.

Anyhow I have drawn my first KS archery tag , see you guys in November. No I don't mind paying for the tag and license.

28-May-19
Well I spoke to two guys today here in NY who did not draw and they both showed me that they were refunded in full minus 25 dollars and some change that will be used to give them a preference point. I should not say this but if you want a tag in Kansas in the future start buying preference points. They are cheap and as of now 1 will guarantee you draw the following year. I knew I could not hunt in 2017 so i bought a point and drew in 18. PP's are a deal as in Iowa they are now $65 total. I have 4pts so I should draw next year. Best if lucks to all you Kansas guys! Shawn

29-May-19
nobody is drawing. plenty of moisture. bad roads kept the poachers down last fall. gonna be mega giants on every 80 this year.

29-May-19
Rutting in September.

31-May-19
"mega giants" to you maybe Cherney but not real megagiants. 12 years ago there was a booner on about every thousand acres. Now that number has decreased significantly. Look at all the outfitters photos and you'll see it takes "10,000 acres" to grow a few.

31-May-19
Megagiants to me are 165+. Real Thornton style megagiants are what 235+?

31-May-19

Zmax's embedded Photo
Zmax's embedded Photo
52,657,000 acres in Ks. every 1000 acres leaves us with 52,657 Booners, or 501 per county. Lmao

State says we have 600k to 650k deer. So 300k to 325k bucks. By your statement, 16% to 17% were Booners, lol

No wonder tag sales are thru the roof.! (Tagging Thornton, cuz yes, he would)

31-May-19
Seeing as Zmax (is that a feminine product ?) sits on the computer all day sorting out numbers, I should have been more specific. I do not think that broad estimation was for the whole state but it was an estimation of the numbers in Cowley, Elk, Greenwood, and certain parts of Butler County where I used to guide. Cherney- That's a big word for a 165" but then again, I'm sure you watched PowerRangers

01-Jun-19
Lol no but that was pretty good.

01-Jun-19
No way the deer herd is at 600k. I felt like we had more deer back through the late 80's when they estimated around 300K. I feel like we have less now not double.

01-Jun-19
Hey! Nothing wrong with Power Rangers!

• Sitka Gear