Dirk Diggler 02-May-19
Hoot 02-May-19
Treeline 02-May-19
PECO 02-May-19
KHunter 02-May-19
Jaquomo 02-May-19
fubar racin 02-May-19
27-Apr-19
With as many people that I talk to that don’t understand they can’t draw one of the big 3 without the minimum 3 weighted points (except for a few of the non res cow tags), I wonder how many guys will apply with less than 3 but then opt out of buying the weighted point? Or will the system even allow that? I bet it would make the state some easy money every year from guys that don’t pay any attention to how things work.

27-Apr-19
I'm sure it will happen often. I talk to a lot of casual hunters who don't understand how it works. I even know some that have hunted regularly here for many years who put in for elk in units like 2 & 201 with no points thinking there is a chance because they know someone who knows someone who says they got lucky and drew it their first year recently.

27-Apr-19
Same here that’s exactly the kind of thing I’m talking about lol

28-Apr-19
A surprising number of hunters have no idea how the system works, whether qeighted points or regular point creep. I have a good friend who is absolutely convinced he will draw bull moose this year because he finally has "enough points". He is already planning his vacation and hunt. I tried to explain the weighted point scam but he wouldn't hear it.

28-Apr-19
I know people that think PPs are unit specific

28-Apr-19
Lou he's thinking very positive

28-Apr-19
I know someone that puts his family in for preference points first choice and points required units second choice and wonders why no one in his family ever draws a tag, I explained it to him and showed him in the regs 3 years ago, but he still does it, he is hoping this is the year someone finally draws...

I don’t try to educate anyone anymore, I figure their ignorance helps my odds...

28-Apr-19
I know people who put in for second and third choice bull moose and ram tags.

28-Apr-19
Lmao. I can’t believe there are people out there like this. Good stuff. Thanks for the laugh!

28-Apr-19
As stated in another thread, with just a little reading, things are revealed, apps go much smoother/quicker, and you actually know what is possible. But still people insist on being spoon fed because they don't want to take the time to read a little. "Don't bore me with the details, just give me what I want"

28-Apr-19
Yeah, I sometimes see on other sites where non res folks are planning a hunt and doing major preparations, buying gear, getting vacation time approval and happily expecting to be on their way ready for a hunt in a draw unit that takes multiple points to draw and they have no points at all.

Well, at least they can switch to OTC. At least for this year!

30-Apr-19
If I will be able to draw a moose tag before the wolves get dumped in and the moose population in Colorado drops by 90% like what has happened in Wyoming...

30-Apr-19
Moose populations plumetting in WY coinciding with wolf introduction is a coincidence according to many. 2+2=5

02-May-19
Jaquomo what's your solution for the M/S/G draws that's not weighted points? I like them.

02-May-19
Clerko I know you asked jaquomo but my solution is each weighted point gets a random number. Were all still at the mercy of the random number but having more chances at the magical random number only seems fair to me as I sit with 14-15 weighed points for all 3.

02-May-19
My solution would be similar, but all preference points and weighted preference points for all species would be converted to bonus points, each bonus point would yield a random number, your lowest number would become your application number, and the lowest app number would draw the tag.

02-May-19
The system now is based on one random number per applicant.

Or, one raffle ticket in the bucket, no matter how many points you have.

I am in the boat for 1 random number issued per WP or BP for the big 3 as well. Then pull out the amount of applications that they want for the number of tags for that hunt.

Kind of like getting an extra raffle ticket in the bucket.

Seems much simpler than the current mathematical gyrations that some idiot at CPw came up with when this weighted points system first started.

02-May-19
I was thinking and agree with what Treeline said. Keep it simple.

02-May-19
"I know someone that puts his family in for preference points first choice and points required units second choice and wonders why no one in his family ever draws a tag, I explained it to him and showed him in the regs 3 years ago, but he still does it, he is hoping this is the year someone finally draws..."

The old adage that "I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you" applies here. LOL

02-May-19
I like Dirk and Treeline's suggestion. Then the odds are truly increased in a meaningful way. Lower point holders would still get their shot(s) but there would be a true odds multiplier as more WPs are accumulated.

As it is now, everyone gets only one shot, whether they have 1 WP or max. The WP divisor is only helpful if the final assigned number is low enough for the divisor to make a difference.

02-May-19
I don’t have as many points as many but I kinda like the lottery after 3 thing, probably because I don’t have as many points as many lol I feel like 1 name in the hat per point would be a good system also

• Sitka Gear