WV Mountaineer 09-May-19
Babysaph 09-May-19
gobbler 09-May-19
WV Mountaineer 09-May-19
UCMDEER 11-May-19
01-May-19

Big-Otis-Jeff's embedded Photo
Big-Otis-Jeff's embedded Photo
Looks like the folks at the QDMA have decided.... they r in fact in support of lower buck limits in WV ... so what’s the argument gonna be now?

02-May-19
How does an organization that claims "Ensuring the future of whitetail deer, wildlife habitat and your hunting heritage" have an opinion on such a subject. It appears killing fewer deer might lead to the preservation of life cycles for whitetail deer. But, would have no lasting affect on the overall protection of the deer herd except to increase a herd. Which has habitat implications. This bring you to the habitat part. More deer in out habitat usually means more long term habitat damage. The hunting heritage part is something neither side will say is a better plan. It's an opinion. Kinda like the opinion that the QDMA knows what is best for WV deer hunting.

Not being funny or a wise guy Just pointing out not everyone drinks the same drink you do. And, doesn't see the QDMA as the authority on broad based whitetail deer management. They are a special interest group for a reason. If not, the QDMA's approach would have been adopted by every game commission in this country.

02-May-19
So killing more bucks than does has a better habitat impications? How so? Everything about reducing the buck kills and increasing the doe kills helps out with the herd and habitat?

I dont know what you drink, but whatever it is that makes you think that killing more bucks than does year after year after year helps the herd or the habitat, well, it must come in quart jars.

And to say that the National QDMA is just a special interest group with no science or biologists behind it , is , well, not even close to being accurate

02-May-19
Well I can still shoot my 2 inch spikes.

02-May-19
Dr. Dave Samuels former wildlife professor WVU

Dr. Craig Harper University of Tennessee Dr Grant Woods Dr. Larry Marchington Dr Karl Miller University of Georgia

Dr. Marcus Lashley Mississippi State University

Just a few University associated PhD professors associated with QDMA who happen to be some of the most respected deer biologists in the nation.

Since 2010 the average buck limit has decreased nationwide from 3 to 2.2 which shows that state game and fish divisions and Commissions are adopting the science. Maybe, just maybe they are right ?

Yes, QDMA is a special interest group. That special interest just happens to be cutting edge scientifically proven and peer reviewed biologically sound deer and habitat management. They are involved with many research oriented Universities and game and fish agencies in the nation. They were one of the first groups to provide research money to WV DNR when CWD was first discovered in WV.

03-May-19
This is a proposal from the WV DNR?

03-May-19
Gonna have to steal your info Gobbler....for another post....

03-May-19
Again is this a proposal from the WVDNR?

03-May-19

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
Like how info is sort of gathered from here and there and then lumped together.

So are you saying that each one of these well known and highly respected biologist are saying the limit needs to be lowered? Or are you just saying they are members of QDMA or just that they provide QDMA articles maybe? I don’t know though and would like to be informed.

And again is this proposal from the DNR?

As to the research money they provided for research into CWD. Providing a pic and let me know if this is what you are talking about: because to me it looks as if Budweiser or Belgium Brewery was the giver of the funds and then it looks like QDMA received $5000 for administrative fees from the grant given to WVDNR for this research. Wouldn’t that sort of mean that WV actually gave QDMA money and not vice-versa? I mean that is how it appears to me.

03-May-19

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

03-May-19
JayD, if you want to know what they think I would suggest going to QDMA national conventions or Deer Stewardship programs and ask them yourself

03-May-19
Ok so are you saying saying it didn't come from Belgium Brewery and that WV got the full $37,776 and there were no administrative fees?

Also I am really confused is the proposal that of the WV DNR? I thought the director was going to bring up lowering the limit at the request of concerned hunters for better buck management and was doing so at the request of certain legislators because after getting drilled with calls and emails for the legislators to stay the heck out of the decision and let our biologist make the decision. Wow I must be Rip Van Winkle and slept during that and it was a dream - so commissioner - who made the decision for the WVDNR to make this proposal so that you and the other commissioners can vote on it this Summer?

Oh I will do that believe me I will. With your post it seems to me you are implying that these individuals support lowering the buck limit. Just wanted to know how you came to that the conclusion.....

Also if I recall correctly - wasn't QDMA firmly against the new Elk program here? I know you support them just curious to what your thoughts are there - or am I mistaken on that they didn't like the idea?

03-May-19
What I am doing is stating the facts as I know them as of 11:35 on May 3rd , 2019. What I am not doing is a question and answer session with you so you can pick something out and post it on another site with your interpretation. As noted in your post above which states “ With your post is seems to me you are implying etc. “

03-May-19
First off all I am doing is responding to your post and other’s of groups who YOU are a member of who are stating this stuff about QDMA supporting a proposal for lowering the buck limit and a bit of restructuring of the license and that the proposal is that of the WVDNR. You are a commissioner of this dnr - I would think you would know and should share if the dnr is the one making this proposal. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the director said at the request of some legislators he would bring it to vote this summer for the commissioners to lower the buck limit. But once again it seems there won’t be a straight answer on this but we will start once again with the accusations.

What’s there to hide? What is so secretive in that you cannot say who told QDMA that this was a WV DNR proposal? Rumor has it that some were not pleased with Kip saying this was a proposal from the DNR. Is this something that you can’t talk of because the director is out again like the rigging episode? So big Otis post this on the sportsman forum - I ask him the same questions so I am the one running on this one to other forums? Mr Preston post about it on the Bowhunting WV Facebook page - I ask him how is this a WVDNR proposal - everyone gets upset that I ask when did this become a proposal of the WVDNR and you all get upset! How did the QDMA and you all come up with this is being proposed now by the WVDNR? Seems pretty simple to me..... but yet I am running here and there posting your dirty little secrets - come on man just answer the questions. Maybe if you stop with the accusations we could have a civil debate or question and answer period as you call it.

Thank you!

03-May-19

03-May-19
this all sounds like politics to me......if you say it long enough and loud enough you think everyone will believe it and, we all know politics....it's always about personal gain. I have read a LOT of old post on here (at the advice of WVM) and its always the same few saying the same thing OVER and OVER but, sometimes using different venues or language to get their point across. if the hunting public allow special interest groups to decide how our game laws are written and enforced then we get what we deserve. personally for me, I'd rather take care of my business in house.

03-May-19
JayD , it is a DNR proposal. It wouldn’t be on the agenda if it wasn’t a DNR proposal. I was at the last Commission meeting and do not recall the Director saying it was being put on agenda at the request of some legislators. Were you at the last Commission meeting or are you depending on rumors for your source. If that’s why it’s on the agenda it should state so in the minutes.

03-May-19
Well I guess the DNR does not know this because I just got an email from a high ranking DNR official who said that all that was taking place was at the August meeting of the DNR commission- a question would be ask of the commissioners to reduce the limit from 3 to 2. Also stated he knew of no proposal of this or to modify the hunting license . I will try to take a picture of the email and post if you wish but keep the person’s name hidden since it was between the two of us.

03-May-19
Mountaineer, it is my understanding that some people were posting on social media sites that QDMA was against or didn’t agree with the proposal and I think QDMA just wanted to clarify their position.

03-May-19
JayD, maybe u need to talk to a higher ranking DNR official ? I don’t recall anyone that issued an absolute deadline for any or all of the proposal to be addressed.

03-May-19
Some low down dirty political bs from an agenda driven commissioner. And, a wife beating drunk of a director. Must be a big bed you boys are lying in. What else Is there to say? Hmmm???????

Oh, I know. You try to cook the books with a survey, then whine about it because the results don’t match your desires. Then cook the second survey to meet your desires. Then 20,000 or so whiny men get to represent the whole state based on the corruption of one egotistical commissioner and drunk of a director. That about sums it up.

Correct me if any of this is wrong. Please.

03-May-19
I would, but for some reason I don’t think it would make a difference with you Mountaineer

03-May-19
You are right. There is little you could say that would change these realities. Because, with the exception of the directors legal problems, nothing I said hasn't come straight from your own keyboard at one time or the other. Multiple times. But, we no longer have access to most of it on public record because you went back and deleted many of those posts. Such a credible reaction for a guy that claims to only want to represent all WV sportsmen. But, we've all been told that "Change is coming!". So its no real surprise to finally see the back door antics exposed, that make that one single claim a possible reality.

It all makes sense now.

03-May-19

03-May-19
Back door antics..........SMH..........I have been to meeting after meeting for the last several years for this ,,,,Havent seen you there WV Mtnr, or if you have been there, you haven't talked with anyone or you hung out in the back .........Thats how change comes about, going to meetings..along with a lot of work.

I guess its easier for you guys and gals to sit behind the keyboard and tell us how we are doing shady deals, with 0 proof of that....I guess in the world you live in, thats how it works, i dont know.

And as Gobbler said, you have the other one here asking the same 5 questions 25 different ways, just to try and pick apart an answer and use it against him .......Again, everything we do is above board...no sneaky stuff , as i just mentioned from the other side.

JayD - You kept asking for facts or info, and now when presented, its wrong, its fake , its from Russia, i dont know...it just cant be right, well, it is.

I am like the rest on here though, no need to keep beating this up on here, we the hard workers for change will absolutely be all the meetings , doing the leg work........While the rest just complain in here, and we will see who gets results...

03-May-19
Well here is the deal. you will not get a reduction in the buck kill unless you come up with a way to make up the money. Period.

04-May-19
And if he was for 3, you all would be on the steps screaming his innocence .. His behavior and what went on in Fla is inexcusable.....But as of right now, this second, no charges against him and he is still the Director.....It is what it is.....Whether he is or is not the Director makes no difference , because at the end of the day, the goal is still the same, lower buck limits for a healthier, more mature herd.....Period....

And Gobbler---Keep posting facts, as you can see, the only come back is the Director's actions in Fla.......Slight mis-direction, to keep everyone fired up....Because now that we are getting more and more data "Facts" in that support a lower limits, the opposition is getting ansy...

If or when the limits are reduced , and 5 years after that, it will be interesting to see all the people who were against it, bragging and showing off their deer.......Kinda like when Sunday hunting was taboo and nobody was for it...........now look at it.

04-May-19

04-May-19
One thing in favor of the 2 buck limit cause is the DNR supporting it. It means they think it is in the best interest of the deer herd to go from 3 to 2. I still say it won't happen unless there is a way to come up with the money for the extra tags. But we will see.

04-May-19
politics, politics, politics that's all this is. Personally I don't care if the Director of the WV DNR is for a 1, 3, 5 or 20 buck limit. That's not the true issue. His has proven he's a bad example to WV. He makes the state look bad and, he needs to stay in FL. A man's credibility, integrity and public actions are his worth in the eyes of his peers. Now, for the people licking the boots of the special interest groups for personal gain, shame on you. That's not what Mountaineers are about. Keep letting these special interest groups make your decisions for you and when they get all they can from our state guess who'll be the first to get gut punched? that's right, the boot lickers.

04-May-19
Mountaineer, how many Commission meetings have you attended? I’ve been there and can remember at least 3 that it has been discussed at . All open public meetings .

04-May-19

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
JR is the dnr really supporting it? I would say a few within might be but from my understanding not the majority. If it was the majority we would of had a lower limit by now. Going to post a pic of email that another gentleman got back from the Director. It is sad that the lowering of the limit seems to be just about perception and not based on science!

As to this being a DNR proposal - I have heard differently from quite a few others that it isn’t their proposal and they were shocked when QDMA came out in support of it. Time will tell what the truth is - I am waiting on several responses now from both sides. I think this is why some are getting testy as to why I continued to ask if this really was a proposal from the DNR.

BOJ - no I would not say he was innocent because he supports what I believe! I have stated my opinion on him - quite shocked by it but his resignation should have been accepted or he should have been placed on leave! This isn’t about being proven innocent or not - the man has to complete a batterer’s intervention program and stay out of trouble for 12 months - maybe only 9 if he is good! That should say it all right there!

This response tells me a lot! Like how the director capitalized the would NOT!

04-May-19

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
JR is the dnr really supporting it? I would say a few within might be but from my understanding not the majority. If it was the majority we would of had a lower limit by now. Going to post a pic of email that another gentleman got back from the Director. It is sad that the lowering of the limit seems to be just about perception and not based on science!

As to this being a DNR proposal - I have heard differently from quite a few others that it isn’t their proposal and they were shocked when QDMA came out in support of it. Time will tell what the truth is - I am waiting on several responses now from both sides. I think this is why some are getting testy as to why I continued to ask if this really was a proposal from the DNR.

BOJ - no I would not say he was innocent because he supports what I believe! I have stated my opinion on him - quite shocked by it but his resignation should have been accepted or he should have been placed on leave! This isn’t about being proven innocent or not - the man has to complete a batterer’s intervention program and stay out of trouble for 12 months - maybe only 9 if he is good! That should say it all right there!

This response tells me a lot! Like how the director capitalized the would NOT!

04-May-19
Sorry for the double post - guess I hit the button too many times

04-May-19
Commissioner,

Might I make a request —- has there been any thought into doing a live stream of these meetings? If not maybe there should be - I believe it would only put the issues out there for more to see plus it shouldn’t be that difficult to do - can’t imagine that many of the places where the meetings take place now do not have internet.

Thank you....

04-May-19
There have been requests for that but no action yet that I’m aware of. I think it’s a great idea and would be fully supportive of it .

I’ve asked Wildlife for several years to provide a breakdown of buck, doe, button buck, shed buck in the big game bulletin but have not seen it. Wildlife has the data on the buck/doe breakdown of the archery, crossbow, and muzzleloader kills but do not provide it to us.

I’ve asked for wildlife to provide the Commission with the results of the spring questionnaire a few days before the meeting so we can have time to review it before meeting but that hadn’t occurred either. We get it at the beginning of the meeting in which we have to vote on it in.

04-May-19
I believe it was mentioned this was sponsored by the DNR

04-May-19
The very first paragraph that big o posted above says it

04-May-19
So the very first paragraph in Big O’s statement a live is not correct? Which is it? I still say if it’s up to legislators to vote on this it won’t happen due to money. We hash this out every year and I end up being right. It’s simple. Yes or no? Did the wv DNR state they recommend a 2 buck limit? It’s that simple

04-May-19
JR, yes, 100%, the proposal came from the DNR

04-May-19
According to Cory, Jeff, QDMA, you, and all the other BBM crowd, doe kills are lower then bucks. However, when you apply the 8:1 or 10:1 that has been quoted on sex ratio, total doe kills far surpass the buck kills by all weapons. Even at 4:1 the doe harvest far surpasses the buck kill. So, whatever the buck to doe ratio is, it is pretty safe to say that by all logical thought, better buck management is happening right now, But, I've only pointed that out for 5 years now. Kinda fell on deaf ears I think.

As far as meetings, I've been to one in the past 4 years. Maybe 10 my whole life. Enough to know how they work. And, I must commend the people your group gets to show up and write questions and management topics down for the dnr to consider. I mean that too. No matter how I feel about the topic, at least some of you show up and propose what you think is a better deal. You used the system that others take for granted, to get this where you want it. Bravo for that.

As I said before, I do not know if what I have heard is true. People could be telling me what they think versus what the sentiment truly is concerning you and this matter. However, it is kinda like the case against the director. No one knows for sure but, given the set of circumstances we do know, I find it laughable for you to suggest that you had no hand in this going this way. That its the DNR wanting all this. I might be wrong but, there has never been one action or statement made by you that would change my mind on that. No matter how many times you claim to equally represent the sportsmen of WV.

I'm not trying to be rude. But, you've taken great liberty in the past to slander, belittle, and try to embarrass every one into silence who has disagreed with you on this subject. You truly are doing a thankless thing being a commissioner if your intent is to fairly represent the hunters and fishermen of this state. However, by your words and admission on this forum, that surely does not apply to the work you have completed as a commissioner. So, accept my bluntness as nothing more then being willing to point that out.

04-May-19
I appreciate your bluntness. Every DNR survey I’ve seen for the last 6-8 years have shown that the majority of license buying hunters want to see the buck limit reduced. I don’t think I would be doing my job correctly if I didn’t listen to the majority of license buying hunters that fund the DNR.

04-May-19

04-May-19

04-May-19
Mountaineer, about the survey that you brought up. If you had been at the meeting where the results were presented you would know that during the presentation they said that after the initial round of surveys that went out it was pointed out that it was brought to their attention that it may not have been a completely random survey which is why after another meeting they sent out additional surveys in order to make it more of a random survey, however in both instances the results came back the same. The majority of licensed deer hunters wanted a lower buck limit. Since I have become a Commissioner I have not missed a single meeting. Even when I had a broken foot I went to the meetings. During the meetings I listen to what each and every person has to say. I understand that everyone can’t make it to all the meetings and that’s why I think JayD’s idea of videoing or live streaming the meetings is a great idea. Instead of people getting 2nd and 3rd hand information or worse getting someone else’s interpretation of meetings people can see it for themselves and form their own opinion based on what they see and hear.

That way whether some likes what happens or they don’t like what happens they can see it and understand why.

04-May-19
I agree with what you've said concerning the meetings. I also know what it has taken to recover from a post health issue. So I make no apologies for missing them since then. I know it seems if you say black, I say white. However, that is not the case. I'm just dead set on this being what the DNR recommends. Not what a special interest group wants.

My unwillingness to accept a 1 or 2 % sample survey and, 20 of the same people attending the regional meetings as what the remainder of the whole state wants as a guideline, has led me to my conclusions. But, like I said earlier, I applaud the conviction that some of your group holds. I'm just not convinced it represents the masses. But, you can't make people participate. No more then you can realistically claim that content hunters attend meetings.

04-May-19

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
With modern statistical sampling you can survey 250,000 hunters and get a 95% confidence level with a 2% margin of error ( 95% and 2% are considered excellent) by surveying 2379 hunters.

04-May-19
For a half million hunters you would only need 2390 hunters

04-May-19
Are you kidding me? Based on what?

I've been heavy into forest stand statistics for over 20 years now. And, in order to achieve a 95% confidence interval on any average stand of timber, it requires roughly a minimum of a random but, equally spaced plots representing a total of 35% sampling of the entire stand. That demand does decrease with size on paper but, it requires guidance to know when it truly represents an accurate survey. Why that changes with people is beyond me. Perhaps we should ask Hillary's camp how that worked for her. Or, admit when you introduce influence, like guided questions or non random participants, it is easy to get parameters into broad ranges that favor a predetermined outcome.

I appreciate the source. And, I know you are out of your realm and latch on to anything that supports your narrative concerning this. But, that is simply untrue with predictable influences when randomness is not followed. Seems that got threw out when the results didn't favor the outcome. We are talking real life. Not paper theory. And, in no reputable statistical survey, can a 95% confidence interval be predicted with such a small sample of tainted results. If you don't agree, I'll come and put three plots in your 600 acres of timber and, make you an offer on it. Get my drift?

04-May-19
Whatever, if you don’t want to belief scientifically proven sociological statistics that is being used by modern day survey companies that is up to you. Look it up yourself if you don’t want to believe me. Sampling trees is different than sampling humans

04-May-19
Exactly. Thanks for recognizing that reality. Trees don't change their mind and can't be guided by influences built into the survey. They are what they are. Which is why 35% works for them. But, to conclude that people are as predictable based on statistical parameters alone, is a joke at best.

05-May-19
Sportoufitter-- I dont know what your mean by $75K? is that a payout or something? I havent heard that ....But........I have tried to stay off the Director issues, but, i agree, he should do the right thing and step down.....Way to much drama and everyone can see what happened.....That being said, until that happens or doesn't, he's still the Director...and like i said, our goal is reducing the limits, with or without him......

As for my integrity, its crystal clear, everything is above board and clear...Now what you see and think about it/me , may just be cloudy due to what u want........U dont want a 3 buck limit, you arent for a 2 buck limit, so are you for a 1 buck limit?

Thickheaded...yeah , you got me there, its hereditary ...

and what else was there, oh yes, my narrative..well, it hasn't changed, 1 and done would be nice, but 2 buck limit is good.....Whats your choice? You seem to not have one, but are against 1-2 or 3 limit? Do u want it back to 5? So if iam wrong, correct me, whats your narrative? What do you want the limits at? 1-2-3-4 or 5...or 10?

Oh well, guess we will see tomorrow who all shows up...no sneaky behind the scenes , just meeting , open to the public that no one wants to attend, but wants to complain...Live stream would be nice, so you all can see first hand how they work ...until then--come to a meeting...

05-May-19
Where is the meeting?

05-May-19
Have a question about the survey that was mentioned of in the last few post in this thread - where as it was said that after the first round someone or one's brought up - that it may have not been random and so more surveys were sent out, which here are a few question: 1- landowners were taking out of the mix on the second round - correct? 2- were people who bought or filled an extra tag taken out as well? 3- what about NR hunters?

My opinion is why did they not look at the number of hunters in WV - look at the percentages of who buys and who does't buy the extra tag? then break it down even further as to percentage of who fills an extra tag and who doesn't and send the survey out to whatever number they think is viable(normally way too low in my opinion most of the time)? do it by the percentages. If so many bowhunters buy a license then that should have been the percentage of who was sent a survey and just continued down the list.

I guess my BIGGEST QUESTION is : it sounds like to me from your answers gobbler that whoever in the DNR that you are saying drew up this proposal that they used the survey we are talking about right now (the survey where some were sent out and there was a question as to how random it was so more were sent out upon the Director's orders) to come to specifics in this proposal? Is that correct?

As to going to meetings - as Director McDaniel stated to the legislators back when the bills were not even brought up to vote upon by the main body of legislators. He will not hear from people who are satisfied with the way things are going - he only hears from those with complaints. Again I was told by several legislators that they were hammered with emails and calls for them to stay out of decisions that our DNR should be making and that they don't want a reduction of the buck limit. So it should be interesting to see what happens when more people start to hear about this new proposal.

05-May-19
I see "survey" mentioned a lot pertaining to WV hunters. I've been buying a WV Hunting&Fishing license for nearly 50 years and extra tags since they have become available and not one time have I received a WV hunters survey to fill out or been contacted to take part in a WV hunters survey by any other means. is this "survey" for a select group or am I just missing out somehow?

05-May-19
Well my OPINION is MOST of the people wanting big bucks state wide are the same ones who have large property’s or leased properties or others. That can control what’s taken off. But there are several public lands ( bluestone) where I hunt alot. With older age buck limit of 1 with AR restitutions. Along with 4 bow only counties. So why push something like that on everyone that everyone doesn’t want it. Just like someone on here with the name (1buckurout ) I don’t know him. but why isn’t your handle ( 1 buckIMout ) why push your opinion on my small property that you or anyone else will never hurt on. Stating to sound like socialism that’s creeping into our government. JMO

05-May-19
I own 8 acres with five trees on it and don't have a lease; do you have more or less?

I'm an American so I can voice my opinion anywhere, about anything I please--thank you.

I used that handle about 15 years ago and just recently brought it back. I've "personally" supported a one-buck limit forever. Don't worry though, I don't go to the meetings, don't belong to the QDMA and have never contacted a legislator about it. It's just my personal little protest.

05-May-19
Bkbowhunter...THANK YOU for posting what just might be the most common sense post this thread has seen so far.

05-May-19
Good comment by BKbowhunter. I usually don't kill a buck as I prefer doe to eat. My right to kill 3 bucks if I so desire has no affect on 99.9% of you as you don't hunt the same area as I do so why punish me if I want to kill more than one buck?

05-May-19
Code of conduct , No threatening or harassing or abusive remarks... Please be Civil , The debate on buck limits has been discussed on for years , have some respect for your fellow hunters, Regardless of you stance on limits. We are all grown men here i hope. So let us conduct our self as such..

05-May-19
1buckourout like I said I don’t know ANYTHING about you. Just your handle name says you support a 1 buck limit that fine. That’s your right. In the same way it implies that’s what you want for me to. NOT TRUE. that’s all I meant by that

05-May-19
Edit: serves no purpose now.

05-May-19
ALSO 1buckurout I said MOST PEOPLE that want a 1 buck limit have control of where they hunt NOT ALL OF YOU. thanks

05-May-19
Jim, this place has been like that for a good while.

05-May-19

BK,

I appreciate you qualifying your remarks. I understand; all is good.

05-May-19

05-May-19

05-May-19
Ok - I will try to get this thread back on point. The meeting ended not long ago and I got a little more info and will offer other info I have been told over the past few days. You will understand a little better why I have been asking some questions.

First off I was told at today's meeting that the DNR chief said it was not a DNR proposal, which supports the email I received saying it was not a DNR Proposal! I would think the minutes of the meeting will be available soon to confirm this. I did hear that our director spoke up and said that it was his proposal. I also heard that the director was made aware of the fact that the commission cannot vote on restructuring the license. The assumption is that the director did have outside help on drafting this proposal and each of us can make a guess of who or what group gave input on it. I got the impression that with the director's expertise being from the medical field some were not pleased he and others were the makers of the proposal.

I was told several days ago QDMA gave the support to this proposal because they were told it was a proposal of the WVDNR and they wanted to provide support for our DNR. I was also told that they were informed that no it was not proposed by the DNR and that some from our DNR were upset over it. So again time will tell with this - it will be interesting to see if QDMA comes out with another statement.

The reason why in my last post I asked about the survey used to come with this proposal. The director told our legislators and each one of us that another outside group would be doing a survey for the DNR to see what hunters wanted so he could provide our commission with the data. It is my understanding this new survey has not been sent out as of yet. So it may not be finished in time for the August meeting for the commissioners to vote on lowering the limit.

Must admit the info in the paragraph above pisses me off big time! So it was expressed to us by the director that the info received from this outside groups survey would help in determining if we should lower the limit and from my take on how the license would be set up. Seems like he got ahead of things and could care less of what the hunters of WV want since he made this proposal and started drumming up support for it before even getting the results from this new survey! Maybe he is a soothsayer? Also ticks me off that since apparently the info from a soon to be done survey - doesn't mean squat to him and he already has drawn up the proposal before seeing the results - why waste the money to even have it done? I heard that it will be a 6 figure cost to have the survey done!

Just stating what I have heard - I will be anxiously awaiting the minutes to see if I was informed correctly. I guess time will tell. I know I will be emailing the governor to ask for him to stop the survey because it doesn't seem to matter and it would be spending the money foolishly now!

05-May-19
Each and every year in March the DNR spring questionnaire survey comes out. Multiple meetings are held throughout the state over a 2 day period. It is also downloadable on the DNR website for Sportsmen to download, fill out, and send in.

This years result again showed that the majority of hunters wanted to decrease buck limit from 3-2. 70% for reducing the limit, 30% against reducing the limit.

05-May-19

05-May-19
Gobbler I won’t doubt you one bit on that Spring survey. Like the director said back to the legislators- he won’t hear from those who think things are fine and dandy - he only hears from those with complaints. The same thing happened to our legislators when they tried to pass a bill that you and the lower limit guys want - I heard from several of those legislators they were bombarded with calls telling them to stay out of it! So they dropped those bills like a hot potato. It will be interesting to see what happens when news of this proposal gets out. JR from what I hear your wish may come true on the price increase if this were to happen.

So gobbler think about what the director said - he doesn’t hear from those who think things are fine only those who have a complaint. So even out of all those who complained 30 percent of them don’t want a change in the limit. Ummm bet the percentage of those who think things are fine would be around 90% or more to not change things......

05-May-19
"Each and every year in March the DNR spring questionnaire survey comes out." well' my address or personal information has not changed in MANY, MANY years and I have yet to see this so called questionnaire. is it for a select few or does this questionnaire get sent to all licensed WV hunters? I feel if all these "proposed" changes are going to be based on surveys, charts, tables, special interest groups and whatever clout someone thinks they have then everyone that holds a valid WV license should be able to at least take part in the survey. correct me if I'm wrong but this isn't looking like a fair shake for the average WV hunter that doesn't have a big farm or belongs to a big lease?

05-May-19

05-May-19
Edit: Serves no purpose now.

05-May-19
The one buck crowd doesn't want anyone but those in favor of change, filling out the surveys. It makes it possible to claim that 70% want change when a vast majority filling them out are of the like mind. It doesn't matter that these people are a vast minority of licensed hunters either. Because its all in for the cause. These surveys the commissioner talks about should be something we all know of and participate doing. So, the lack of participation by content sportsmen is not anyone's fault but their own. But, the approach this movement has used trying to get it voted on before anyone catches wind of it, is pretty ridiculous. I'm betting if the average deer hunter was aware of these shenanigans, there'd be an uproar of huge proportions.

Its really sad that a commission/er charged with unbiased representation of hunters, would help push this through on the down low. With a director of operations on board for such actions as well. SMH. Hey Jeff, tell us again how this as all been on the up and up. Directors ordering surveys with an already determined vote coming in August. I reckon he has someone informing him to cover his bases. And, it sounds like another cooked survey was/is coming. Unbelievable.

At this point, I truly do know how most deer hunters would poll. I believe that most wouldn't want change if given all the info. I could be wrong. But, what is absolutely disgusting and unbelievable is, after the surveys we did have, we can't say one way or the other. Due to the way they were handled. Its like the dang collusion crap. We've got one side accusing the other but, being proven to be the only ones that's done what they are charging the other group with. You couldn't make this up if you tried.

05-May-19
The spring meetings are announced in the media each and every year and ALL public is invited to attend. ANYONE can download the surveys and send them in . Each and everyone counts the same . A homeless persons counts the same as someone that owns 5000 acres.

And yes, I realize homeless people probably don’t have a computer and printer but they can go to the local library. The point is each and every one counts

05-May-19
Where do you go to print out the survey

05-May-19
Why survey what the hunters want? Doesn't the DNR decide what is best for the deer herd based on science. I must admit it is hard to tell who recommended the reduction. So is it now going to voted on? If so every hunter will need to vote.

05-May-19
^^^^^Bingo^^^^^

05-May-19
I practice a 1 buck limit and have for years and will continue. i am just glad someone has seen the light and we can get a change in the buck limit , license fee need to be increased period. Even if their isnt a change in buck limits , When was the last price change , everything else has gone up. Let the DNR and NATURAL RESOURCES COMM vote on buck limits and see what happens the way i understand it may not pass anyway,

05-May-19
Ok so I will ask if these Spring surveys account for so much and are so accurate - why spend the money for a third party to do an independent survey? Why did they bother with doing the survey last year in which questions of how random the survey was with the first survey sent - so a second round of surveys were sent out?

Why present a proposal now before the independent survey has even been sent out? Seems again like big show to me - do a little third party survey and get some data from hunters but oops we put the proposal out before the survey was done! Plus we spend lots of money to do it!

Yes JR I agree our Biologist should have the final say - but to see what WV hunters want would be nice but biological reason should be of most importance.

06-May-19
hoppies - more power to you - hunt and harvest how you feel best. I agree with you on allowing the DNR and commission to vote on it as well. All I am saying is it looks like some iffy things may have been done --- maybe there is a good explanation - finding it hard to figure out as to why another survey is being done and money wasted - when it sounds like some and not our DNR biologist were the ones who already drafted this new proposal.

06-May-19
Everyone one has a voice. Everyone can attend a regional meeting. Everyone can print out an online form and mail to the dnr. You simply cannot whine because your side didn't show. Its almost like saying Trump shouldn't be president because everybody didn't vote. Well they had the opportunity. We have Jayd telling us that a question on the dnr survey Didn't come from the dnr and that a question suggested by the director of the dnr isnt from the dnr. To take a lesson out of the text book, so I assume you are saying Mark Scott's proposed fishing questions are from Mark Scott and not the wvdnr because Mark asked they be out on the questionnaire.

Biological reason? Same biological reason many of these same biologist oversaw a period of massive deer populations exceeding carrying capacity and giving us an inflated deer herd for the purpose of tag sales.

06-May-19
According to Cory, Jeff, QDMA, you, and all the other BBM crowd, doe kills are lower then bucks. However, when you apply the 8:1 or 10:1 that has been quoted on sex ratio, total doe kills far surpass the buck kills by all weapons. Even at 4:1 the doe harvest far surpasses the buck kill. So, whatever the buck to doe ratio is, it is pretty safe to say that by all logical thought, better buck management is happening right now, But, I've only pointed that out for 5 years now. Kinda fell on deaf ears I think.

Sex ratios cannot be applied as harvest ratios. Period. It isnt a formula and a guess. Its numbers provided by the wvdnr. And I dont believe a prehunt sex ratio can be 10 does to one buck.

06-May-19
Nice of you to show Cory - sorry just because you show up at a regional meeting does not give one a higher authority to make a decision - since you brought up President Trump this isn’t like voting - when you show up at a meeting it’s more like showing at a campaign rally!

I find it funny that the only thing the lower limit crowd can cling to now are the regional and sectional meetings - and bravo for you all getting some people to attend. But let’s not fail to mention that our legislators were hammered or bombarded (I heard different legislators use each of those words as a description) with emails and calls to let things be and stay out of it! Seems like a pretty good indicator for what WV hunters want to me! Then let’s not forget about the survey - you said was rigged (the one the director told me was not rigged but you told me he told you differently) out of the four choices - let it stay as it is was the highest voted on! And oh my goodness you equate a question on a survey by the DNR as them making the proposal! That’s rich!

Sorry but I prefer a proposal from the wildlife division of the DNR and not the Medical Division of the DNR.....

06-May-19
until we have dnr data released to use, explain why using them isn’t more correct then cherry picking only rifle data for your cause is acceptable.

06-May-19
Jayd, I did NOT tell you that Mcdaniels said anything about the survey. And call me crazy but I equate a question from the head of the dnr as coming from the dnr. And sorry but the questions about a two buck limit were answered favorably in 1995, 2012,2014, and 2019.

So we have you saying legislators were bombarded but no concrete eveidence of anything. We have legislators saying there is trwmwndous support but hey you can email the head of house and senate natural reaourves yourself. Wvmntneer, I'm not cherry picking anything and I'm surely not making assumptions on kill ratios. I assume the info in the wvdnr annual report is from the wvdnr but like Jayd states I might be mistaken. I've posted the info from the wvdnr but you are still saying we dont know it. Its in the annual report on total doe kill ratios. Ita not broken down by archery and muzzleloader but that has also been posted in previous years.

06-May-19
Just heard from a reliable source there will be no reduction in the buck limit this hunting season. see ya next spring.

06-May-19
Any decision , that has yet to be determined, will not take effect this year. It has been known that if passed it would be 2020 at earliest

06-May-19
will somebody PLEASE post a link to this "so called" DNR questionnaire survey for hunters? maybe I'm missing it somehow but I've searched the DNR site from one end to the other and just can not find it.

06-May-19
Of course anything this year will not take effect this year.

06-May-19
Really Cory - I will contact the website here and go back and see if I can get the PM you sent me about what the director said. Hopefully they are stored somewhere because we all know that after so many days they are removed from our archive box. Donnie I looked earlier but I think it may have been takedown off of the dnr webpage because the time period to fill it out and return it has past.

06-May-19
It probably has been taken off the DNR website. Because it is done and results released for the year. But it will be back next year as always. Or, better yet, go to a meeting next year. They are held all over the state usually Monday and Tuesday the second week of March. You can pick up survey at meeting and DNR biologists and LE are there and you can ask all the questions you want

06-May-19
Donnie, the way it works is that all the proposals are presented at the February Commission meeting. Then they are presented to public at the March regional meetings and on website. Then DNR analyzes and tabulate the results, then at the Spring meeting, usually late April/early May the results are presented to Commission and voted on. All these meetings are public. No closed door meetings.

06-May-19
Gobbler that is two things in 2 days now we have agreed upon! First yesterday on the live streaming and now that the survey has probably been taking off the website! We better stop this immediately or people are going to start talking! LOL JK

06-May-19
Jayd, My pm to you are FOR YOU only. To share them is a douche move at best. I know you are prone to share private conversations.

06-May-19
LOL

06-May-19

sundaynwv's embedded Photo
sundaynwv's embedded Photo
Wvmnt neer, From our annual report which is wildlife which is a section of dnr.

06-May-19
Rofl too funny coming from you Cory. All during that long drawn out debate where several of you accused the DNR of rigging or stacking the deck or whatever - is when you sent the message to me - you didn’t tell me not to say anything - I ask the director about why he told me there was no rigging or stacking of the deck when you told me he was the one who tipped you off. Heck go back and look at that thread you stated you had a source. He actually called me back and left a message - seemed a little hot that it was still be stated there was rigging done at least that was my take of his temperament. Heck I may still have that voice mail. I assumed you told me what you did because you wanted me to let the cat of the bag!

And as to being prone to doing something I just relay info that I am told - I would think if someone didn’t want it told why would they let it out in the first place? I pretty much know who probably told you that and he was upset that I made the statement that there are some with in your group who think our DNR are a laughing stock. I didn’t mention his name though.

I normally will not tell anyone whatever I am trying to keep secret or I will tell the person to keep it between me and them only or something! I just think that is common sense!

Oh I reported the name calling as well - seems some others were kicked off over that stuff.

06-May-19
Ok gobbler you are scaring me! That is three times in 2 days we agreed on something - I thought the comment was funny too! LOL

06-May-19
Good stuff Cory. Even better it come from the dnr. I stand corrected it appears.

06-May-19
Ok, here’s an idea I hope everyone can agree on

Come to the Commission meetings, or petition the DNR to live stream the meetings. Go to the regional sectional meetings. Read the big game bulletins and other publications put out by the DNR.

I would love to see all the meetings packed with sportsmen

Don’t rely on 2nd or 3rd hand information and take it as gospel. Remember the old grade school teaching tool. You line up 10 kids and whisper something in the ear of the first kid and have them do the same on down the line. By the time it gets to the last kid it invariably comes out different than what was said initially.

The further down the line either consciously or subconsciously information changes.

06-May-19
Its the second time.it was posted for.you.

06-May-19
Wvmntneer, Its the second time.it was posted for you.

Jayd, Name calling? Saying you sharing someone's PRIVATE message is a douche move isn't name calling but feel free to be offended if you choose. Just make sure to know what PRIVATE MESSAGE means. Way to assume and stir.

06-May-19
Yes because it is so unlike you or your group not to share private messages? I won’t get off the message of this thread but really think about that.

I must admit your comment made me laugh though - because I wasn’t for sure if I should be offended by it or take it as a badge of honor - we finally found a field that you are a true expert in and can comment on!

06-May-19
Link to the survey anyone !!!!!

06-May-19
but what I'm saying is.....I have NEVER in nearly 50 years received a questionnaire survey from the WV DNR by any means, USPS, FedEx, UPS, Pony Express, Pegion, a phone call, etc.... and from what I'm reading from the reply is we have to attend a meeting to be able to take the survey? or, search it out on the DNR website? and am I misunderstanding that once the "surveys" are accounted for a group of people (commissioners) 'VOTE' on their findings? this is stinking worse every day

06-May-19
So how many people responded to this Spring’s survey? Couple of hundred people as in the past?

06-May-19
Really ? Does people want them delivered to your house too ? Maybe the DNR can hire UBER drivers to pick everybody up and drive them to meetings and take them back home ? Maybe even pay for a Taco Bell stop on the way home too ?

It’s like voting for the President . If people won’t exert a little time and effort to vote and then complain about who the President is, well, it just makes me shake my head.

06-May-19
Yes it was Cory. That jogged my memory. But, at one time you posted a break down by weapon. Do you remember that? When asked where you received it, your reply was a source that wanted to remain hidden. So, I assumed the info was coming from this source. And not the DNR. One last thing. Would you give me the name of the publication that screen shot appears in? .

06-May-19
Gobbler - even though this is made public about the meetings and survey - not many people respond. Maybe there needs to be some innovative thinking going on to get more people involved in this stuff. Live streaming the meetings would be a good start. Maybe with these survey how about sending out an email with a link to the survey as many times as I received an email about the gold rush? Just a thought! Again I am going to thank you for being a commissioner - it’s a tough thankless job but instead of criticizing people for not participating- how about using some of the honey attracting influence instead of the vinegar way. Just a thought.

06-May-19
so Mr. Gobbler WV DNR Commissioner person now you're just being a smart@$$ with your reply. It's an easy fix to just mail out a questionnaire survey to everyone that purchases a WV hunting license for that given year and leave it up to them to fill out and return it. and the lifetime license holders do the same. it's not like their information isn't already in the system. not everyone likes doing business over the net and not everyone can (or even wants) to attend the meetings. dang, that was easy. maybe I should be a DNR Commissioner? I just fixed an ongoing problem in 2 minutes that you've been trying to figure out since you've been in that position, shake your head now. again, it's stinking worse everyday.

06-May-19
Donniehunt, Use whatever device you are accessing this site and go to www.wvdnr.gov in the springtime. Print it off and mail it in. If you can't do that let.me.inow and I will mail one to you. Wvmntneer, 2018 big game summary that is handed out at the sectional meeting.

06-May-19
Donniehunt, Use whatever device you are accessing this site and go to www.wvdnr.gov in the springtime. Print it off and mail it in. If you can't do that let me.know and I will mail one to you. Wvmntneer, 2018 big game summary that is handed out at the sectional meeting.

06-May-19
thanks for the offer sundy. will you do the same for everyone else that has NEVER received the questionnaire survey and doesn't attend meeting or care about the net? I will try to remember next spring to do just that but, how about the thousands of hunters that could/would take the survey if it was in their mailbox. it just can't be that hard to do. add a small fee to license or extra tags to cover postage? at least try it for a couple years. give everyone the opportunity to take part. as a WV Hunter that pays my share I'm asking for the opportunity to take part in a survey that may or may not benefit WV hunters.

06-May-19
So who's buying 250k stamps a year? Sounda like a license increase if that happens.

Now someone screenshot this (Jayd)and make Sure to say BBM wants a license increase to buy stamps.

06-May-19
So Sunday since you know so much about this proposal - which makes me pondering - who helped the director write the proposal since it apparently was not any of his staff from the DNR. Since the Chief said no the proposal was not from the DNR yesterday. Since according to the proposal not only would the buck limit be lowered but the license would be modified - just what will be the cost of the license be now?

And Cory why with you does everything have to be so secretive? Why don’t you want any of this stuff shown to other hunters - just makes it looks like you have something to hide. And in the bills this past legislation session were there not fee increases? Didn’t I hear several of your members boasting how they helped or even took full claim in writing the bills?

Listen everyone - shh shh all this is a secret - Cory doesn’t want anyone to know..... mum is the word! Is that better?

06-May-19
I will gladly pay an extra $1.00 (or 2) annually for postage in order to take part in the survey. I can really relate to my political party right now. dealing with the handful of (I want it my way) crowd on here is like us dealing with Nancy & Chuck. dang people, would you get it better if it were written out on poster board with crayons?

06-May-19
No, I just think sharing private messages and emails is a douche move. Period.

Ask.the director who helped him write the proposal. Then screenshot it and share it. I have nothing to hide or want to keep anything secretive but I also dont have to cough up answers to 1,457 questions to a guy from Berkeley County. Your McCarthyism insinuations get old.

06-May-19
Donnie did you get any emails from the DNR regarding the gold rush for trout fishing this Spring? I got quite a few - wouldn’t it be nice if the dnr sent an email to you with a link to the survey?

06-May-19
Gobbler - just one more little tadbit of advice or at least a suggestion - I wouldn’t mention DNR and Uber driver in the same sentence - last I heard them mentioned together things didn’t turn out so well.

06-May-19
sundy, you're assuming every hunter has internet. I hunt in one area that has a home that runs night lights off car batteries. just because you have it don't take it for granted everyone does. spend a little time in some of the most remote areas of our state and you'll get what I'm saying. the USPS is hands down the best way to reach people.

06-May-19
Donnie, with all the hunters, fishermen, trappers , etc. IDK for sure but I’ve head numbers like 700,000-800,000 sportsmen and sportswomen in WV. Do you realize how much money that would cost to mail everyone a survey. Not just postage, but paper, envelopes, and man hours folding them and putting them in envelopes ?

I think that money could be better utilized elsewhere in the DNR, perhaps on a software update so everyone could get one e-mailed to them.

06-May-19
okay, I see what you're saying about money and the DNR. so why not make a 2-3 page survey and attach it to the new regulations each year? hunters pull it out, fill it out and after season is over mail it in. I don't know how much more simple that could be? the regulations are printed by the thousands and delivered by DNR personal already so what's the big deal attaching blank questionnaire surveys? have a place on the survey to add name, address and DNR ID number.

06-May-19
Totally agree , Gobber Most would go in trash if a return postage wasnt included or just tossed period because didnt want to take the time answer. sad to say

06-May-19
Donnie, they are time sensitive . Proposals are made during the Feb. Commission meeting, then survey goes out in March. Results are tabulated then presented to Commission at April/May meeting and voted on by Commission. Based on that vote then the hunting regulations are printed for that year and made ready to give to public around the first of June each year . So, in order for the regulations to be printed the survey and vote has to come first. Therefore , it can’t be added to regulations.

It also can’t be done a year ahead of time because the proposals at the Feb. meeting are based on the previous falls harvest. Because of that , it’s a short window to tabulate the falls previous harvest then report to Commission in Feb.

Does that make sense ? I think I explained it right

06-May-19
but the point is to give EVERY WV hunter the option to participate . it's up to the hunter to fill it out and return it or do the on line form. if a hunter tosses the form then his/her opinion doesn't matter anyway BUT, give them that opportunity. attaching the form to the regulations is the easiest way to reach every hunter with the lowest expense to the state. IMPO

06-May-19
But it logistically can’t happen that way. Before the regulations are even printed the survey and vote has to have already been done to know what to put in the regulations.

It would be useless and additional expense to attach a survey to regulations that has already been voted on and has no value at that point.

It would be like taking an election ballot to a polling station after the voting had already occurred and someone announced the winner.

06-May-19
Every WV hunter does have the option to participate. The most backwoods place in WV is no farther than an hour or two from any sectional meeting location. Probably less than one. Hunters buy food and hunting gear. I have never heard of.anyone.living in a cabin, making mocassins and wooden arrows while living off the land to aurv8ve in WV. They do have the OPPORTUNITY to attend a meeting. However, I do think an online form would be wonderful.

06-May-19
Thanks Cory. Do you know if they are breaking it down by weapon or just using rifle numbers?

06-May-19
Gobbler - good job explaining that and I think the software update to shoot out an email is a good idea. I received quite a few emails from the dnr regarding the gold rush - do something similar and include a link to the survey.

06-May-19
I got a gold rush email as well.

06-May-19
WV Mountaineer, Total harvest per county broken down by Female and male harvested over all seasons.

07-May-19
Yeah. It seems some posts got deleted so I edited my replies to them. A one-sided rhubarb doesn't make much sense. I noticed the "Commissioner" thread got the axe at the same time. For the better-I think.

07-May-19
"logistically can't happen"? HOG WASH let me try to make this very simple. the beginning of each year surveys are (observed) and new regulations voted on.....then, new regulations are printed and available around the 1st of July (NOW GET THIS) with blank questionnaire surveys attached.....and, at the end of season new surveys turned in (either by USPS or e-mail) and, repeat annually. how much more simple can this be if you truly want to reach out to every hunter? I agree that not everybody will take part in the survey but if it's readily available to everyone I guarantee the numbers will increase.

07-May-19
Donniehunt The surveys are based of recommendations by dnr , I am sure many of those recommendations are based on the previous season such as doe kill by county bear kill as well as other factors . The survey as you call it is for public comment on the up coming changes not just for hunting but fishing as well .

07-May-19
Wow I didn’t even see the commissioner thread - it must have been taken down quickly.

07-May-19
Donnie, I’m trying to be patient and not a “smartass “ in explaining the process to you .

And you tell me it’s “Hogwash “. I really have no clue what you are talking about with the blank questionnaire ??? Are u talking about sheets of blank paper attached to the regulations ???

Explain this to me please , how is a blank survey going to be attached to a regulation that goes out to the public in June of one year when the questions on the survey don’t even exist until 7 months later the NEXT year ??

I think there’s a serious disconnect here on how the process works

07-May-19
I give up. I have better luck talking with my two 4 year old great grandkids than this bunch. If you (WV DNR) actually wants to hear from hunters and get their opinions then it's a very easy process. I have very carefully explained how it can be done. What does concern me is a WV DNR Commissioner spends most of his time on a hunting web site arguing with people that don't agree with him? I sure hope that is a volunteer position because otherwise you are a waste of WV dollars. Basing every change on a handful of buddies that show up to a meeting or special interest groups slipping in the back door. You and your kind are the downfall to the heritage of true WV hunters. I just hope you have nothing what so ever to do with District 1 (where I live) or District 4 (where I like to hunt).

07-May-19

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
Donnie - here are a few pic’s of this past Spring survey.

I printed out an extra copy of it back in February or March and just found it.

You will see the one question about the buck limit being reduced - didn’t see anywhere in the survey about the modifying of the license. Also this sort of goes along with the director’s words that the commissioners at the summer meeting would be asked to vote on lowering the limit. Nothing was said of a proposal - the chief of the dnr said it was not a proposal of theirs. Our director said an outside independent firm would be conducting a survey on this matter - but before any of this was done - presto bingo there is a proposal!

So just remember this new survey which I heard was suppose to cost around $120,000 has not been done - the vote by the commissioners to lower the limit has not been done - our DNR processionals had nothing to do with this proposal.

We can only guess who had a hand in drafting this proposal with the director. Just think of the waste of money for the survey - the waste of time asking the commissioners to even vote on lowering the limit - when the director had already made the decision to promote this proposal without the input of most of the hunters or even the vote of the commissioners. From my understanding there were a little over 300 people who filled out the survey. So 300+ people were the ones who got the director to make this proposal - let that sink in!

Gobbler just the sequence of events if this was something that you were against something tell me you wouldn’t be displeased with the way things have happened over this.

Funny thing is these sectional meetings and survey were once talked of as a joke and a waste by some now who are praising them and the survey. I remember reading post of someone being upset because one of our biologist said of QDMA stood for questionable deer management! Heard one say his name was the only name written down along side of his comment on the board. Remark about how they doubted the survey was used as anything other then TP. Now though it’s a great survey that shows the wants of 253000 hunters in WV! Again I just don’t like the sequence of events - just remember I was one of the first on here to say two and your thru is the way to go.

07-May-19
Need to make a correction it was not 300 people who got the director’s attention to draft this proposal - it was 220 who voted in favor of lowering the limit to 2!

07-May-19
So JAYD , 2 and you thru , you would be ok with that , so your are in favor of a lower buck limit. i thought you were dead set against lower limit. confusion

07-May-19
Hoppies as I stated before yes I was for a two buck limit because I listened to people talking about all the hunters who kill 3 spike bucks. Then the truth came out - hardly anyone kills 3 bucks - let alone the ones who do and that all 3 bucks they kill are young! The truth is out there - 1/3rd of 1 percent of all hunters in WV kill three bucks! That is closer to ZERO than even 1 percent! The age of bucks that are being killed has went up! So from going by the numbers - instead of all the people who spread the wrong stuff - I am perfectly fine with leaving the limit where it is! Hardly anyone kills three and it brings in more money! What’s not to like?

Does that clear things up for you? Does it confuse you how all these people I use to debate with about it not be reduced to a 1 buck limit and they are now supporting the idea that I use to support - a two buck limit? Does that confuse you?

07-May-19
Donnie, take your idea to the DNR , if they can figure out what you’re talking about and get it to work then I’ll support it.

07-May-19

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
JayD , if you want to talk numbers here they are

55 clubs with 7,802 members submitted surveys This shows 323 individuals

The clubs include hunting clubs and sportsmen clubs

07-May-19

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
This shows 379 individuals, which is the most since 2015, and about 25% more than last year.

Do I wish more sportsmen would get involved ? ABSOLUTELY!! But for the last 10 years it’s run between 250-500

But there were close to 8000 additional responses thru their club affiliation

07-May-19

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
These are the results in black and white , statistically 70% for reducing limit, and 30% against reducing limits. Whether one is for it or one is against it these are the results

07-May-19
Looks like we are being censored by the internet police again.

07-May-19
looks like posts are now being deleted. LOL. Nothing like silencing the masses. One of the reasons I am no longer a WVBA member. Now you can delete that

07-May-19
If no one is killing 3 bucks what is the big deal in reducing in to 2? I say it is money.

07-May-19
JAYD Maybe the reason age class has gone up is because many hunters a more selective about size and numbers, like myself and many others i know of where a 1 or 2 buck limit in their hunting is practiced. do you know how much money would be lost by taking away that 3 buck tag ?

07-May-19
"take your idea to the DNR" aren't you a WV DNR Commissioner? isn't that what I'm doing on here, submitting an idea to the WV DNR thru a WV DNR Commissioner? it seems the easiest way to the DNR is get on a hunting website that monitored by one of their Commissioners. beats the heck out of being on hold for a director which may or may not even be in the state of WV. answer me this....what exactly is your responsibility to the people of the State of WV as a DNR Commissioner?

07-May-19
Donnie, just come to a commission meeting and state your views in front of the whole commission , the director and all those in attendance. That way you are sure that they hear you and maybe understand what you want. I think it's YOUR responsibility to tell all about what you believe instead of complaining and pushing others to tell your point of view. All you have to do is sign up to speak at the commission meeting and they give you 3 minutes to state your case. I see a lot of complainers but few show up to either support a cause or fight against it.

The same goes for everyone on this site . Come and speak at a commission meeting.

J.R can come and speak both for and against the same subject if he likes.

07-May-19
DONNIEHUNT , GOBBLER is a wv natural resources commissioner , Maybe you should do some research as to how things are done. There 6 other commissioners maybe you should contact one or more of them if you are truly wanting this to happen.

07-May-19
MP you make it sound like this Spring questionnaire or survey or whatever it is - is the only option - it is not the only option to voice our opinions with the dnr! If it is then you must simply be pissed like I am that this new independent survey costing $120,000 is going to be done! Why is it needed - the proposal is made as of now - there should be no reason to waste the money now!

And again the only people to respond to this are those who normally want change - if people are happy with things they don’t fill it out. The director told us all - this very same thing! Heck you would think that if the majority of people who responded are those for change - I would expect the percentage to be much higher in your favor! Heck like gobbler said some could have cared less about lowering the limit in that they didn’t even answer the question.

All along you all told everyone - too many people are killing 3 bucks and they are normally 3 spikes! Well you were proven wrong in that and now you changed your answer so it’s - well heck no one is using the tag so just get rid of it! Rofl that is simply hilarious! And yes it probably is about the money for some - for others it may just be simply the want for the opportunity to hunt in all three seasons. Whatever the reason is your first thought on this was completely wrong every bubba doesn’t shoot 3 bucks nor do all these NR hunters come here and fill all 3 of their tags and go home and shoot a monster! It just isn’t happening!

Once again it does not bother anyone here that we are wasting $120,000 for an independent survey that was never going to be used for this proposal of the director’s and Whomever helped to prepare it? I thought before a proposal would be made at least our commissioners would have a say with it because they were suppose to vote on it in August but yet here we have a proposal already - apparently their vote doesn’t matter now.

07-May-19
Donniehunt, Instead of stirring with belligerent ignorance go fill out a survey and become aware of the process.

Jayd,

Instead of rewriting history and telling people how they feel or believe, the only thing I believe with the sectional meetings is people have the ability to attend. I believe its a shame that Kenny wilson openly stated he doesnt take them seriously and its just a hoop the legislature has them to jump through. I believe they should be live streamed or some type of interactive online presentation. I believe its a shame sportsmen choose not to attend. Tells me that not many are adamently opposed to a two buck limit.

Yes, Dr. Crum said QDMA is questionable deer management. Of course he holds his hand out and takes the hand out when qdma offers cwd research money. Yes, Keith Krantz wrote my name beside my comments and thats the only time in 20 plus years of meetings where I know that a name was placed by a comment.

07-May-19
JAYD , Where could i find how many hunters purchased 3 tags last years ?

07-May-19
JAYD , You seem to know a lot about this new survey. Where does a person find this information ? IF you know the cost you must have some inside information. Who is conducting the survey ? How will it be done. What are the questions.

07-May-19
Here is what I am for M.P. I am for reducing the buck limit to 2. But what I am not for is the misinformation that is given by some that want to have it reduced. I do not see where it would hurt to reduce the deer herd. I don't like the censorship here. If someone disagrees they get erased. I am for the DNR making the call. Having said that if you look back to last year you will see I predicted it wouldn't happen last year nor will it happen this year or next year. I honesty think it will never happen until the money can be made up for the tags. And JayD is right about one thing. If no one is killing a 3rd deer why all the fuss? The DNR would be stupid to give up the tag money when a reduction would not help the herd. I also believe our commissioner should go. Deep down I think statewide most people if they knew the statistics would not vote to decrease the buck kill from 3 to 2 unless the state can come up with the money to replace the tags. Hope that clears things up. And I won't be at a meeting. One of the things is that so much info is put out here that no one know what to believe. I believe what I see in the regs. That is all I get. I get no other info.

07-May-19
I do believe Kenny Wilson on this. The DNR does not take them seriously. I used to go to all the meetings in Martinsburg and all it ended up being was an argument between the good ole boys and the officers. I got tired of it. I never saw one thing implemented that was suggested and It was because we just don't have the money here is WV. I do believe they only have them because they have to. I was also just told that the WVBA does not delete posts here. It is not their site and they do not have the ability to do that. I stand corrected. Not sure who would be deleting them.

07-May-19
Jayd,come to the commission meeting and do your complaining instead of repeating yourself over and over here.

How you got my asking people to speak at the commission meeting to a view on the survey is funny but please do not do that again. Do not speak for me . You have it all screwed up. I have spoke at commission meetings , filled out surveys and went to sectional meeting to voice my opinion so I think the Dnr knows how I feel . You should do the same and just speak for you .

You can voice yourself to the commission . Its a very good way to get your point across.

JR, your opinions change from post to post. Your last one would be a good one for the game commission and the public to hear straight from you instead of getting misinformation from others translations .

07-May-19
Babysaph , all posts are monitored by bowsite editors. The staff of Bowsite , Stickbow , Deerbuilder , reserve the right to remove any post , topic or person they see fit . So my guess is they were removed by a Bowsite monitor

07-May-19

07-May-19
But why? What did I say that we're against the rules? I just cleared up,stance for ya M.P. And the commission and DNR have already made up,their minds. No reduction in buck kill.

07-May-19
okay, I get the point. if you're not in the "I go to meetings" crowd your opinion doesn't matter. from what I've gathered only a handful of people attend these meetings opposed to tens of thousands of hunters in the state.

now sundy. as for your "belligerent ignorance" comment. you don't know me but I've read enough of your post to sum you up as just another one of the boys that want's it his way and no other way deserves any merit.

and hop56. sorry for my confusion. I figured a WV Natural Resources Commissioner and a WV DNR Commissioner were one in the same. Please explain the difference?

and as for the "Commissioner" I'm waiting on a reply as to his responsibility to the people of our state?

07-May-19
What rules do you speak of ? I am just telling you to tell the whole commission what you think .

07-May-19
If you dont go to vote for the president, and your person doesn't win, you dont have the right to question what people really wanted. It doesn't nullify the results.

07-May-19

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Donnie, this is the section from WV chapter 20 code regarding DNR Commission. Chapter 20 code is the Natural Resource section of WV code .

07-May-19
thank you for posting Mr. Commissioner. How does one become a WV DNR Commissioner?

07-May-19
JAYD , i just finished reading Chris Lawrence Outdoors of wv metro news, Looks like NR comm may table the vote until survey is done by Southwick which is what should be done. However i am sure some will not like the idea that landowners will not be included in the survey . Dont like that idea, landowners hunt too, Again i say not going to matter to me. I practice one buck limit anyway.

07-May-19
Appointed by a Governor

08-May-19
MP your tactics may work with your little troopers who follow you and the rest of the BBM leaders - just doesn't work with me so you telling me what to do - well I can tell you where that little speech can go! LOL Also please show where I was speaking for you - I said that there were more options to voice your opinions than just what you gave.

Guess what there are so many ways for your voice to be heard - rather it be going to meeting, filling out survey or sending an email to the DNR, the director or even contacting the governor! Guess what I have done all of them as well. Heck I have gotten a few things done just by contacting the Governor with my thoughts on a few issues - didn't need a group of people to do so. So Donnie - don't listen to any of these guys - if you want your voice to be heard now - contact any of those mentioned. In saying that - it would still be good for more people to respond to the Spring survey each year as well. And again it would be nice for new innovative ways for them to let people know when the survey is taking place and when it needs to be and better ways to get access to it (email out to hunters would be great - just like the Gold Rush). Of course just remember the Spring survey or questionaire or whatever it is called - are just recommendations - they may happen they may not - rofl simply hilarious to think people are comparing it to a general election and if you don't take the survey by gosh forget about it - sounds to me its just a way to silence other people's voices.

Donnie the reason why they are making this Spring survey out to be such a big deal right now is that with each step they have failed. They have failed in the past with the commissioners and they failed this past legislative session to get their bills past. So now they need to make a big deal about how this survey that few have responded to is so overwhelmingly in support for lowering the buck limit (plus some threw in the modification of the license as well) - its all a show to try to get a majority of the commissioners to vote for it. From my understanding it still pretty much looks like a no vote by the majority of commissioners.

Hoppies - you better watch what you say sounds like you sort of agree with me there some! And goodness the dirty word you spoke - LANDOWNER - and to say they hunt to! I mean to me it just looked like you said you feel they should be able to have a say in the survey as well! That is a big NO NO with that group!

Enjoy seeing how some of you come on this site and do things that you would kick someone off of your page for doing.......

08-May-19
JAYD , It really sounds like you have dispute with BBM or certain members i should say . As a whole i dont see how you can know how all members think. So you are saying commissioners have already made a decision to vote no. Why not just table the matter until SOUTHWICK survey is complete and get as much information as possible before making a decision . You make it sound as if any survey results dont matter.

08-May-19
Repeating yourself again jayd. I will repeat also. Come to the commission meeting and say it in front of everyone .

08-May-19
You feel this way...... They feel this way........

My voice counts......... Their voice doesn't represent everyone.........

I got a few things done by myself..........

So you feel that you represent me? Is your voice a true reoresentation of 1.8 million peiole of this state? We need to mail them out a survey!

08-May-19
What are you talking about Cory?

I think every voice should be heard. We are talking about ways how to get your opinion heard with the DNR - its not a general election - there are different avenues to do so - you may not like that but guess what it works that way.

I totally agree more people should mail in the survey.And did I ever say I represent all the people of WV? As of now - I can promise you one thing I would never do anything for you - you can take that to bank.

Your Comment - "I got a few things done by myself" - has me confused and I never said that. I was telling Donnie by using different avenues to share your opinions or thoughts - things can get done. Gave him this EXAMPLE: I have emailed the Governor - told him where some mistakes were being made - his staff looked into them - agreed with me that there was a problem and those issues were fixed. I didn't have to fill out a survey and have others do so to get something done - not saying anything bad about those who go the way of filling out a survey - as I told Donnie there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Now the confusion part of your comments: " I got things done myself" - were you talking about yourself? From what I recall back when sunday hunting was on the ballot in many counties - a lot of people came on here and thanked you for all the work you did - did you ever once say something like - Hey guys I appreciate it - but man it was a team effort - there were others out there working their tails off to get this done - did ya every make a statement like that on here? If ya did I missed it and if ya did I apologize for missing it - just curious......

Does anyone know what the definition is for glory hound? Daughter ask me that the other day and I am sure some on here can help me out in explaining it to her ..... - oh we were practicing with our bows at the time - thought it was funny that she would bring it up at that time. I just told her she should keep her mind clear of such things and just concentrate on the task at hand.

hoppies - once again you are making a statement that I already said - lets see the results of this independent survey and then go from there - but that is not what happen - a proposal has been made by the director and we know or at least I do who has been chewing on his ear for what is in this proposal. (and hey whoever did the chewing - great job because you convinced him into this - because when I first talked to him he was not inclined to do any such thing like this and it was your right to be able to do so - so again good job - just stop getting upset when either I or others work at saying we don't think this is the right thing to do!) I read Chris's article as well - seeing some of the answers in that article sends a message to me that some of the commissioners have questions on lowering the limit and my guess would be they still don't like the idea of lowering the limit. To me it seems like the director and whoever helped draft the proposal already came to the decision on lowering the limit and modifying the licenses without the survey being done - so why waste the money on now? Again it seems to me they are drumming up support to get people to comment certain ways on the survey if or when it is given - why not just have a brief summary with the harvest data and like materials at the beginning of the survey and then let people who are selected - take the survey on the scientific data - instead of them basing their decision on some group - what did you say someone called it the one time Cory - Questionable Deer Management ?

Hoppies - one question for you - if I bring something up you always question me - ask me about my sources and what knot. The other day you ask how I knew about the cost of the survey and who was doing - you said you read the article about it and you see I was correct - but in the past when several on here brought up about the rigging or stacking of the deck - several of us on here ask for the sources to make such a claim - just provide the evidence and I know I would have stood with them in saying it was wrong. From what I recalled you stayed pretty much mum on that - maybe even made a comment that lets move on and get back to hunting - which hey fine and dandy. Why didn't you stand with us then and ask for the source? I ask many times for the source so I could stand with them and say hey no more rigging! Source never came out on here but then someone PM'ed me and told me I would be surprised who the source was. PM'ed me again and told me who the source was - I never asked for them to PM me - I ask openly for it! I then contacted the source and asked what gives - the person told me once again that no rigging of the survey had taken place. You know one thing I got out of all that - don't be so naive as to PM someone info they have asked for in an open forum. Especially don't do it and do not include anything like hey in confidentiality or something.

MP - hey I get ya - its that ole do as I say and not as I do thing attitude with you - good for you - just not going to abide by it. Isn't it nice to be able to come on to a page and express you view without fear of being kicked off or blocked from a page because of something you might do - nothing you did just something you might do! Hey MP - did you see that - I repeated myself again! Are you going to repeat that I should not repeat myself again? ROFL you are too much!

08-May-19
"Appointed by a Governor" thanks for that reply Mr. Commissioner Sir. that just made this whole deal much more clear to me. all my friends in the southern part of the state do is complain about the governor buying up every tract of land he can get his "signature" on and then have retired DNR and law enforcement patrol it. he has done more to harm the WV hunting heritage in southern WV than the introduction of coyotes back in the 1970's.

JayD. I have to agree with you on the antics pertaining to the "so called" survey.

and putting this issue in the same sentence with the Presidential Election. give us a break man. you have to be more intelligent than that.

08-May-19
Heck I have gotten a few things done just by contacting the Governor with my thoughts on a few issues - didn't need a group of people to do so

And as far as Sunday hunting I'm probably the most humble person you will ever know. Now I've been painted in a certain light by you and some others. It doesn't matter what I said or didnt say because you have what you want to believe.

Glory hound?

08-May-19

08-May-19

08-May-19

08-May-19
BABYSAPH , I agreed until away is found to offset cost of losing money from selling extra buck tags lower limit will never happen, and only way that can happen is to raise cost on license.

08-May-19
And jayd I drove to Ritchie county to attend their Commission meeting after the flood and bought clothes and shoes on the way because I didn't have any that wasn't mud covered and I worked my tail off while my family didnt have a home and you want to talk gloryhound stupidity? I'm not mad im irate!!!!!!!#!

08-May-19
JR and Hoppies - totally agree with you as I have in the past - I cannot express enough in that landowners should be included!

Let’s face it landowners do a ton for all types of wildlife- from improving the habitat- to allowing others to come in and hunt upon their lands! Now there are some who say no no landowners should not be included!

08-May-19
DONNIEHUNT , I am not sure but most commissioners were appointed by someone other than JIM JUSTICE .

08-May-19
Cory I was just asking for help on a definition for my daughter after a practice shooting session with her - I told her to clear her mind and concentrate on the matter at hand - why all the fuss?

08-May-19
hop56... I'm not referring to 'most' commissioners, I'm referring to the one that does his business on a hunting website with a handful of buddies wanting the entire state of WV to change the rules to their liking. the Presidential election has been mentioned so, how would that work if only the people that come to the rallies were allowed to vote?

08-May-19
Donnie, do yourself and everyone else a favor and do some research before you make wild unfounded accusations. I was not appointed by Governor Justice. Governor Justice has made 2 appointments to the Commission, AND BOTH, were re-appointments. Meaning that they were appointed by other Governors and Governor Justice let them stay on for another term..

And if you’re one of the crowd that thinks coyotes were “introduced “ into WV please do yourself a favor by researching and reading about the eastward migration of coyotes. It is scientifically well documented in science journals including DNA analysis .

08-May-19
Be interesting to know everyone’s view who is posting here - their opinion on if landowners should be included in the surveys? I really do think landowners should have and should be included.

08-May-19
I sure hope the gubner pays his property taxes better than he pays his other taxes and bills. LOL. If not you guys in the south can buy the properties for taxes on the courthouse steps. And gobbler. What about all the rattlesnakes that were dropped off by helicopters in the areas I hunt in exchange for turkey poults? LOL

08-May-19
JAYD Does it really matter ? Are you, me or anyone else going to change how Southwick conducts this survey ? You have said , commission vote is likely no . So survey is mute point anyway. Why not let Southwick do the survey , table the vote on buck limits until survey is complete.

08-May-19
gobbler can you fill our a survey? You are a landowner. Can I get one to fill out even though I am a landowner. I fear that if you don't include the landowners in your decision making process some could get pissed and post even more land. Lets face it, it would be easy to get mad at the state for allowing other hunters to make decisions about what happens on their land.

08-May-19
The annual spring survey can be filled out by anyone.

I’m a landowner too but I have a lifetime license. I didn’t used to think so but it has been pointed out to me by some in the DNR that a lot of landowners actually do buy a license or have lifetime licenses. They may not buy additional tags for additional bucks and does. The exact percentage IDK

08-May-19
Gobbler want to say thank you for the way you have approached responding to some of our questions here recently. I will debate and maybe argue with ya some but I will say good job as well!

I saw in Chris’s article where one of the commissioners said something to the affect that landowners should be allowed to vote as well in this new survey or say the previous survey from last year ( the one where surveys were sent out twice - I believe the second time landowners were not included in the director’s order)?

Heck you saw where some of us said we think landowners should be included - after your reply to JR ( oh I am a landowner and have a lifetime license and I still continue to buy an extra tag as well) do you think all landowners should receive these random or independent surveys or should just landowners who buy a license receive and participate in them or should landowners just not participate in this type of survey? I would like to ask as a hunter in this state for you to agree that all landowners be included - if you say know no you won’t hear a beef from me - I am just one voice.

Was a decision made at this weekend’s meeting on landowners being included?

Thank you!!!!

08-May-19
Not much left for to say .. think i just about rode this horse long enough , i am going fishing , HAVE A GOOD ONE MEN !!

08-May-19
JayD, I’m going to leave that decision to the Director and Southwick to determine. Southwick does these surveys all the time for different states throughout the nation . IDK what is standard ? They should know what is standard and what is not standard . Southwick is being paid for their experience and expertise on the license issues and I think it’s best to let the experts on this to determine best approach.

As I understand, the decision was made that the Director was going to talk to Southwick about it.

08-May-19
Good luck Hoppies!!!

08-May-19
Jayd, Dont be a cowering weasel. Its spineless to complain about me and me taking credit for Sunday hunting to follow with a paragraph asking about a "glory hound" then you not having the spine to admit to your inference.

Dont play innocent.and try to play it off as asking for help with your child in the middle of one of your novels.

08-May-19
When posting here it is suppose to be about bowhunting only - as to cowering - in due time in due time..... I am fed up with your false accusations you have been baiting me with on here for way too long. It needs to stop!

08-May-19
I am a landowner and have a lifetime license as well.

08-May-19
I am a landowner and have a lifetime license as well. I buy extra tags also

08-May-19
don't be an idiot man....I remember crystal clear about talking with friends and family for weeks about an article in the newspaper in the mid 1970's telling about the "introduction" of coyotes in the Greenbrier Valley. I also remember my uncle and his hunting buddy killing coyotes in Greenbrier County back in the 1970's and talking about how mangy they looked. These old timers are long gone but the coyote stories live on within their friends and family.

and, I'm not the one that said you were appointed by justice. I just commented on what I read about how you got the position. bottom line....somebody "appointed" you. not like you actually went thru a hiring process and gained a job on merit? somebody liked you well enough or you have something to offer in return for an "appointment" to a position. just admit....you kissed @$$ and got a position so you can promote your personal agenda?

08-May-19
Greg's grandfather cut the dnr a sweet deal on coyotes in the 1970s. You could call his grandad the patriarch of coyote introduction in WV. His grandchild, Greg, was appointed to fulfill a phropecy.

08-May-19
Man ol man....take a couple days off and miss all this...LOL...........Where to start?

Donnie Hunt, 1st....Let me ask you this, where do you live? because in the spring they have multiple placers that they have sectional meetings where you can voice a concern and pick up a questionnaire.....If theres not one close, remind me next year and i will mail u one.....Free of Charge.

As for your post "My right to kill 3 bucks if I so desire has no affect on 99.9% of you as you don't hunt the same area as I do so why punish me if I want to kill more than one buck? " Its everyone's problem, i would hate to be your neighbor. So WVMTNR-- How is BBM playing behind the scenes with the survey that Southwick is gonna do? Last i checked there are what, 6 other Commissioners besides Gobbler, they in on it to? Or just Gobbler, the Director?? Come on man....

Again, as sated 100 times above, get involved, either way you want this to go..........Absolutely no reason for anyone not to be informed or be in attendance of at least 1 meeting....None....to many spread through out the state...

08-May-19
An introduction of coyotes...Ugh........Please,please, if this was a published article, it can found .....Produce this please? along with rattlesnakes and probably big foot....and the Mtn. Lion population we have..........LOL............All about as true as the tooth fairy

08-May-19
Jeff, the problems with the surveys as done, have been pointed out, accepted, and determined not to be valid by anyone who is concerned with getting it right. Its obvious you don't feel that way which is no surprise since it now favors the results you seek.

But, to explain my feelings more clearly, As suspected when hired for the position, this director has a goal of reducing the buck kill. That is fine. Everyone has an opinion on it. But, not everyone is setting in a position that requires self monitoring of their opinion on it. In other words, no matter how this goes on the political side, it has to be done correctly. And, I do not like the way things have been handled concerning the procedures needed in order to achieve that goal. Because it has totally dismissed the most important element of a random survey. RANDOMNESS.

As example, Enter more surveys delivered to what amounts to being HANDPICKED recipients. Problem solved for the goal because all of a sudden the survey went from rigged to righteous by the accounts of those in favor of a reduced harvest. These were the same people that was originally saying it was rigged. Are you kidding me? Eliminating randomness is about the only thing that will screw up a RANDOM sample. That is stats 101. Not a 400 class lesson.

Do I believe Gobbler, MP, you, Cory, or anyone else was behind the scenes cooking the results? Not entirely. But, I'm certain that at least one commissioner has a direct line to the director's ear concerning his input on the subject. Which leads back to the fact that it seems unbelievable to me that men who one day say the results aren't valid, are later saying the exact opposite once the participants are hand picked to get the results desired. How is it that? How do you rationally suggest that once randomness is thrown out of a statistical survey, that the results are not tainted?

It literally blows my mind that is being dismissed here. Mainly because I expect more from men who are appointed to represent all hunters and fishermen in this state. IF you were there in Greg's position, you'd be getting the same treatment. It isn't personal. Its just what I've said. The special survey that was done cannot be used to determine accurate results for how the majority of hunters in this state feel. It is tainted.

I have other issues too. As of now, I am not sure if the results of this survey was used as proof to get an outside host or, was used as an example of why an outside host is needed. I truly don't know. But, I'm sure hoping it was the latter. Because if it was the first, this is going to stink to high heavens before its over. Everyone here knows someone in high places.

Since I've already typed a page and, it is obvious that clear communication gets lost in all the emotion, let me clarify this. I'm all for what the DNR says we need biologically. If they come out tomorrow and say we need to reduce buck harvest, count me in. However, up to this point, nothing they have said supports that. Nothing. And, most of what they do release says totally opposite of that. So, I'm in their camp regardless of what I prefer for a buck limit.

My personal feelings are this. As things stand with their data, the only thing holding up a 2 buck limit is money. They've said as much. It will have no affect on me as long as it stays at 2. As long as I can do my wilderness rifle hunt and bow hunt too, I'm a happy camper. I can't do that with a one buck limit if I kill one with a bow. Because where I rifle hunt, there is no doe season concurrent with buck firearm season.

There you go. You asked why I feel how I do. And, concerning the special survey, I'm very inclined to believe my opinion is 100% correct. If by chance I'm wrong, I'll take the correction with open arms. It would definitely expose the hush surrounding this fiasco and get every one on the same page. Instead of having to guess whats going on behind the scenes.

08-May-19
The tooth fairy is true

09-May-19
Mountaineer, with all due respect , I think you have the big survey backwards. I was sitting in the meeting when the DNR explained what happened. In my opinion , it was explained in depth. I did have my doubts after the first round went out . It WAS anything BUT random. The first part that was supposed to be random was hand picked which eventually led to the second round having to be hand picked also to help even out the first batch.

In all honesty, I think it was screwed up from the beginning but wildlife officials said at meeting that results would have came out the same . IDK ?

A random survey does not include making a conscious decision AT THE BEGINNING to only survey people that bought extra deer tags the previous 2 years, and to NOT include ANYONE that didn’t. That was a MAJOR flaw in what was supposed to be a random survey.

By definition, a survey cannot be random if someone arbitrarily picks which groups to include or not include in a survey.

In that case someone in Wildlife decided to only send surveys to people that bought multiple deer tags and to NOT send them to people that only bought a base license.

It that was done in a private sector survey company whoever made that arbitrary decision would most likely lose their job.

Again, like a lot of issues being at a meeting or having access to a live -stream of a meeting would let people see and hear for themselves instead of depending on 2nd hand information or hearing what people want you to hear about what happened in a meeting.

09-May-19
Ok gobbler - I thought the issue back then was that landowners got the survey and the director did not like that and I took it that you did not like it either. I mean I remember seeing in the minutes of the one commission meeting that it stated the reason why more were sent it was because of landowners getting the survey so in the next batch sent out landowners were not included. Did I read that wrong? I don’t have a copy of the minutes with me now but I do at home - I will go over it again.

09-May-19

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
JayD, that is incorrect. It was ALL about initial surveys going ONLY to hunters that had bought additional deer tags the previous 2 years and none going to hunters that didn’t buy additional deer tags. Again, I would suggest going to meetings to get info firsthand.

IT Had nothing to do with non-license buying landowners and EVERYTHING to do with hunters that bought a base license but DID NOT purchase additional deer hunting stamps. If a survey was TRULY random they should have been included initially. That’s why a second batch of surveys were sent out so they could be represented also.

Before you say that 65% of hunters are satisfied, It wasn’t included in the picture where the majority of licensed hunters preferred a lower limit. I think we all know how that part came out. A majority of license buying hunters wanted a lower limit. A smaller majority of non license buying hunters wanted to keep it at 3.

As it was stated at our last meeting, it’s the license BUYING hunters that keep the lights on at the DNR.

09-May-19
Well, if that’s the way it happened initially, then it was screwed. Because randomness was thrown out the first round. It was a bunk deal. And, I understand trying to save it but, there is no way to do that Even with a hand picked second round. Once randomness was abandoned, there is no way to fix a statistical survey. Especially with so few participants.

Technically, , you can mail a second round to a handpicked the percentage of non tag buyers but without the randomness of picking from a huge pool to begin with, it’s just not going to be reliably accurate. Because there are those that but a second tag that want a lower limit. Just as there are those who don’t that want it stay the same. Handpicking recipients takes those impossible to account variables out of the batch.

09-May-19
Mountaineer, finally we agree on something. I agree 100% and that why I have said it was rigged from the beginning. Once randomness is abandoned at the beginning of a survey from a conscious act it is virtually impossible to reinsert randomness back into a survey. They tried to fix it but I’m not convinced it can be fixed at that point.

Someone made a decision to turn a random survey into a non random survey from the beginning. It was not an accident.

09-May-19
Heads should roll. That’s unacceptable. For anyone on either side to do. I simply don’t understand why there was a chance to do a survey and people screwed with it. Unbelievable.

09-May-19

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
Ok just found the minutes - I could have swore that long thread and debate on the survey last year was about landowners being included and that some thought they shouldn’t so the additional surveys were sent out.

Matter of fact - I just listened to a voice mail I received last Fall - where as like in the minutes the director said the reason for the additional surveys was because he wanted to hear from paying customers and landowners were not paying customers.

I am not questioning what you say either - just I never heard a thing about what you posted as to why you felt the survey was rigged. So thanks for keeping us informed!

09-May-19
Again, that’s exactly why I think people should attend meetings and hear and see things firsthand and not rely on 2nd and 3rd hand information or what someone left on a voicemail as gospel.

The picture I posted above is directly from the handout we were given while Wildlife was presenting the survey.

And I agree, something should be done . A lot of time, energy,and money was essentially wasted and a lot of ill-will created on both sides of the issue because someone decided to make a requested random survey into a non random survey.

I don’t care which side of an issue one is on, that should never be done.

I don’t think my personal opinion is a secret to anyone and people can chose to believe me or not believe me but my bottom line is that I expect surveys to be done in a non -biased manner. If it’s supposed to be a random survey it should be a random survey in order for me to be able to make a fair informed decision and/or vote. And that is why I called it out when I did, at that time I had no idea what the results were going to be but I knew there was a big problem with the survey.

09-May-19
I agree. Did the first round even get tallied from the second? If so and it still showed a favor to reducing the limit, then I think it’s be fair to suggest even though randomness was cast out initially in favor of keeping the limit at three, that’d reducing would be the majority no matter how it was thrown out.

FWIW, it might not be open information but, are the questions on the newer survey going to be made public info to everyone? Even if they don’t receive one of the surveys? Be interesting to see how it’s worded.

09-May-19
Does that mean I can still kill 3 spikes?

09-May-19
Mountaineer, it is my understanding that both surveys separately and together were pretty similar and that’s why they were all lumped together as one survey. Still, no matter what the outcome was it should have never been done like that.

IDK about second survey yet. It is being done by Southwick which is a highly respected national survey group that specializes it these types of studies and has done similar studies for WV and numerous other state game and fish departments throughout the nation. I suspect it will be done right. Their reputation and future business depends on doing their work right.

As for it being available for people that don’t get a survey IDK . I suspect it will be at some point in time. I figure somebody will post it on SM. I figure people can see it but not be able to comment or reply unless they received it because that would mess up their statistical analysis of survey and data. They have it down to a fine art.

09-May-19
That was my thinking too on the questions being made available. But, I was hoping to get to eventually see them.

11-May-19
following

• Sitka Gear