Treeline 02-May-19
cnelk 02-May-19
JLeMieux 02-May-19
JLeMieux 19-Jun-19
billygoat 19-Jun-19
JLeMieux 20-Jun-19
Blade 21-Jun-19
02-May-19
The wife and I are planning on heading back to Colorado this summer for the CTAS shoot. We usually take a week and do some touristy stuff with camping mixed in. She informed me the other day, she wants to see some moose in the wild.

Do any of you have any recommendations on where we may have a good chance of seeing some moose? Last time on the bus up to Maroon Bells, the "tour guide" was telling everyone how they had been seeing a cow and calf regularly. We never saw them. But I think that got her hopes up.

We're looking at the 3rd week or so in Jun.

02-May-19
And by wild, I just mean not at the zoo or in a pen.

We plan on maybe hitting RMNP but i haven't looked into it to see if there are many moose in the park.

02-May-19
There is quite a few moose on the Grand Lake side of RMNP park. I think I have seen one every time I have been there.

02-May-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Cameron Pass west of Ft Collins usually has moose right on the top of the Pass and then down the other side towards Walden Co.

02-May-19
Glad y’all are coming up for the High Country Shoot! Definitely one of the best shoots in the country!

Plenty of moose in RMNP or off Cameron. The west side of the divide dropping into either North or Middle Park has good numbers but you may want to check that Trail Ridge Road is open at that time. There is a campsite near Long draw Reservoir south of Cameron Pass that might have some moose hanging out in that area.

There are decent numbers of moose around Creede and over on the Grand Mesa now as well. Depending on what you want to see on your trip, you could check some other areas as well.

Look forward to seeing y’all at the shoot!

02-May-19
Get here in time for the whole shoot this time :).

02-May-19
Oh, if you do go over RMNP, you might consider just following the Colorado River down. Go to Kremmling then take the back road to Radium and down to State Bridge then up 131 to the turn off to Burns and then on down to meet I70 at Dotsero. A lot of dirt roads but a very pretty drive!

02-May-19
Get the 'Mrs' up before daybreak and drive around moosy meadows at daylight.

Then again about noon

02-May-19
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Mark, we plan on being there at the start this year. LSU baseball making it to Omaha 2 yrs ago, created the perfect opportunity for me to detour and check off a bucket list item. We still had a blast at the shoot for that one day.

19-Jun-19
We are about half way through our trip and got lucky and saw a moose right off the highway. Going to look around some new areas today to hopefully see a moose or two. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

19-Jun-19
Saw 3 bulls in the swamp just S of Breckinridge off 9 just yesterday. They had no idea they caused a tourist traffic jam. If interested, been seeing a lot of bighorns along 70 early mornings lately.

20-Jun-19
Thanks for the info. We tried to ride up to Grand Mesa for some sightseeing and hopefully find some moose. All the FS roads are still closed and there is snow everywhere. The guy at the visitor center told us they have had 550 inches of snow up there this year. It was still really cool driving up hwy 65 with the snow and frozen lakes everywhere.

21-Jun-19
If you go to Cameron Pass, which is close to where the moose were transplanted into Colorado in 1978, you can go to the Tourist Center which is a few miles West of Cameron Pass and almost to the little town of Gould. There are quite a few moose in the area and the Tourist Center will try and direct you to where they have had sightings.

• Sitka Gear