skookumjt 03-May-19
Treefarm 03-May-19
Pete-pec 09-May-19
Treefarm 09-May-19
Treefarm 09-May-19
Zebrakiller 13-May-19
Treefarm 16-May-19
02-May-19
For those of you who shoot using a back-tension, did you switch from a conventional trigger style release and what was the learning curve?

I struggle with my Fletchhunter Concho and recently modified it with a longer trigger (SS screw with heat shrink tubing) which has helped but it isn’t helping my core issue, lack of proprioception and very little feeling in my fingers.

I am having Purdue College of Engineering work on an idea I have but until then, I went to Proshop and they handed me a back-tension release. I was instantly sold because it eliminates finger issues for me.

I am hoping the learning curve isn’t too big or too long. I will be setting up a 1-hour training session to get started once they have what I want built. For now, I have been shooting daily. What a difference it makes to have those core muscles to help steadiness. It is actually fun again to go out and shoot to become proficient. Really too bad the inclusion of the Ravin and likes. All those details get lost and it just becomes killing. Never will be me, I will continue to strive for proficiency and have fun shooting while doing so.

02-May-19
What do you mean by back tension release? There are only a couple releases that actually require "back tension" to operate. More common are thumb or hinge releases referred to as back tension. Back tension is a technique that can be done with virtually any release.

02-May-19
Skoo is exactly right. What model of release were you using? I recently went to a thumb style release and am glad I did. I have actually settled on the Nock2It from John Dudley. It’s basically a 2.5 finger Carter Wise Choice.

02-May-19
I guess I am not exactly sure of the correct terminology, my guess is AKA hinge. All I know Is that it doesn’t require a finger or thumb to actuate. It has an audible “click” after a slight twist at full draw, then any additional pull actuates.

I haven’t picked it up yet because it is a customized release. Looking forward to the ability to not guess where my finger is.

FIRLE <—————-<<<<

02-May-19
Tree farm has such a great release he is some how magically able to shoot arrows across bowsite.

03-May-19
Treefarm your doing great keep up the hard work it will all come together!

03-May-19
Yes, that's a hinge. There are tons of variations from lots of manufactures. If you are going to use one, do yourself a favor and get some coaching from someone who really knows what they are talking about.

If all you are needing is to get away from an index finger release, there are probably simpler and less tricky options. Thumb or third finger.

03-May-19
As I stated above, I signed up for a training session. He is a level III Certified coach. Also, this type of release is worth a try due to my limitations. I am having my bow set up dual release, if I need to revert back in a pinch. I am excited to try as I have dealt with this issue far too long and now that I have committed to becoming a better archer, it is time to fix the problem. I want to be the best archer possible and that comes with responsibility. Archery is all about refining mechanics and getting better. I refuse the shortcut.

09-May-19
I believe the back tension release he is referring to, is one that takes an excess amount of tension to make the release shoot without any aid other than the mechanics of the release. Say you set your bow at 50 pounds of draw weight, basically you take it past it's normal anchor to 55 pounds, and it releases the string. I've seen it advertised on TV and another archery website. I believe it fixes target panic.

09-May-19
It is a Stanislawki MoreX, 3 finger. I am still getting set up with new Black Gold Ascent Verdict sight. Looking forward to my pro session. When your fingers don’t work right, it is a challenge to shoot a bow, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

09-May-19

Treefarm's embedded Photo
Stanislawski MoreX, 3-finger
Treefarm's embedded Photo
Stanislawski MoreX, 3-finger

13-May-19
awesome you will love both and I see lots of bullyeyes in your future!

16-May-19
I received some great advice from an archery coach today. The new release has solved the issue and already, my groups are tight. I am looking forward to shooting again every day. Too bad scouting and spraying garlic mustard are also needing attention.

• Sitka Gear