Jeff in MN 03-May-19
Pete-pec 04-May-19
Hoot 04-May-19
huntperch 05-May-19
Bloodtrail 05-May-19
Bo Hunter 10-May-19
Duke 11-May-19
03-May-19
Yesterday morning I had a cool experience four hens came into my setup and hung around for about 20 minutes. They were preening and eating.

I thought one of the hens had some feathers out of place but checking it out with my binos at close range she had the tiniest little beard. Even less than what a jake would have. kind of looked like the bristles on the brush used to clean off your grill.

I wanted to take a picture but I didn't think with my cell phone that would be able to see the beard in the picture.

I didn't end up getting a turkey this spring but I did see the bearded hen and the biggest Tom with the biggest beard I have ever seen in my life. Pretty good season.

03-May-19
I've seen a few over the years. 2 this year, but the first time I did see one. I was quite in shock. I quickly learned from others that's it's more common then I thought. Would love to take one, one year and get a mount to add to my trophy room.

03-May-19

Novice's embedded Photo
Bearded hen
Novice's embedded Photo
Bearded hen
Have seen a couple of them, including this one a couple years in a row. I was too stubborn waiting for a strutter. I regret it now, as I would like to have it for a unique mount. Last time I saw her was a couple years ago. Usually saw her by herself. I think she was shunned by the other local turkeys. Can't make up what you pass up.

03-May-19
Yeah novice she had a heck of a beard on her. Would have made for a beautiful mount. At least you have a good picture of her.

03-May-19
I've seen a few over the years but have always passed on them for some reason. I had 3 in a group of about 25 hens earlier in the season. I guess about 1 in 10 hens has a beard

03-May-19
1/10 is about right... Probably the same for humans! :) I had a really long pencil bearded 9” hen on my property for years. She was off limits as she became a mascot. We never saw her with poults so the boys probably shunned her.

03-May-19
A friend shot one years ago, thought it was a tom without much color. He didn't know it was a hen until he gutted it and found eggs.

04-May-19

Pete-pec's embedded Photo
Pete-pec's embedded Photo
Saw 7 in the last two days. This one was at 10 feet this morning. Quite common where I hunt.

04-May-19

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
At first I thought this was a jake, but it looks like a hen with three beards.

05-May-19
They used to say 3-5% but I think its closer to 10% and maybe more. I see many more over the last 5 years than for 20 years before.

05-May-19
3% is what I have always read and it seems consistent!

I always thought it would be a cool mount to have a bearded hen and Tom in full strut mounted - expensive - but cool!

Had my chances over the years but have passed.

My daughters first turkey at 13 was a bearded hen!

10-May-19
Ellen DeHeneres

11-May-19
Jenner

• Sitka Gear