MjF 13-May-19
RJN 13-May-19
Novice 14-May-19
Bloodtrail 14-May-19
MjF 23-May-19
Zim 23-May-19
Naturelives 24-May-19
04-May-19
I've never hunted this late in the season, what should I expect?

04-May-19
I took my 4 year old last year to get out in the woods. It was 90 degrees out. We ended up at the splash pad in town. He still talks about the splash pad.

04-May-19
Easy hunting. Single toms looking for hens. Sleep in and hunt during the warmth of the day. No decoys, no calling until you see one, and then, you keep it very subtle. Every season has its variables, but if you can learn to adjust your methods, all are created equal.

04-May-19
My thoughts are for the most part, along with Pete. That and understanding that Tom's cover alot of ground later in the season. So keep that in mind too

04-May-19
I was out this am, after getting back last night..... I think spring is 2 weeks behind,,, showed a friend some spots,,,, I like to hunt late season always did,,,,, this is not the time I stay in a tent,,,, I move around, and scout scout scout, and get ahead of them

pressure areas they have heard it all, but for places without pressure, they respond well mid day

05-May-19
Easy hunt in May for a meat bird .Young Toms come in quick & easy .

05-May-19
I guess from what I have heard its a different hunt for those that hunt turkeys in the big woods of Northern Wisconsin.

05-May-19
Mf what have you heard?

05-May-19
Big woods turkeys tend to avoid fields or open areas (what fields there are), I'm told its not like hunting them in farm country.

05-May-19
I dont know about fields because I dont have any in my neck of the woods. But have been hunting big woods turkeys for 18 years faithfully. They definitely use dirt/gravel roads/firelanes, often. You'll do fine. In may, they're usually very vocal and gobble hard well after 8 am and sometimes gobble a few times every hour after that. They really do cover alot of ground this time of year. I just got home from a full week of hunting. Helping a couple friends and filling my second tag of the season. But the birds could be 600 yards out and we would, like usual, debate a next move. To cut, and Yelp again a few minutes later To hear them less then 100 out. Also, roosting isn't as predictable as farm country. They have their areas, no doubt. They repeat year after year usually. They can be in one spot one day. Then be roosted 700 yards or more away. If you can roost a bird. Getting in early and tight to him the next morning and the direction he naturally goes. Is a great way to kill a bird if your not the greatest caller. Not sure how much experience you have Turkey hunting but I know your a great hunter. So use your woodsmanship and you'll do great. Report back too. Good luck

05-May-19
Not sure why someone would tell you that big woods birds dont use open areas but it most certainly isnt true from my experience. In my experience they dont like tall grass or weeds but open fields are consistent producers of activity. Like many animals they love to travel logging roads also when on the move. Turkeys leave lots of sign. Theres usually a lot of real estate between birds but its easy to tell when your on em......

05-May-19
I've killed my share of birds in SW Wisconsin near Cassville. This is my second tag for my area Zone 6 in Northern Bayfield County, 1st experience was not good, was not the same hunt as farmland hunts. My goal is to kill a Tom in the Barrens and anyone that has hunted the Barrens should understand what I am talking about. Thanks Nocturnal for the response. I will post about my experience.

06-May-19
The only thing predictable about turkey hunting (any season) is that turkeys are unpredictable.

When you get a second, review the success rates that are listed by periods in Wisconsin. You will find that Period "A" has the highest success rate overall. It slowly declines from there - any number of reasons attribute to that!

That being said, late season birds are just as killable as early season birds, no more, no less in my humble opinion. I believe if you do your homework, odds are tilted in your favor. I have killed more birds "off the roost" in periods "E" and "F" than any other. That doesn't mean you have to be there at the butt crack of dawn, mid day hunts work well as I have killed birds as late as 5 PM.

The magic time to be afield this time of the year is...anytime you can get out!!

You'll find less hunters in the woods also, for a number of reasons. Spring has sprung along with fishing opener and many folks lose interest I believe.

This year I am hunting every period with exception to "B" and of course called for the youth hunt this year and we hammered a 24.5 pounder basically right off the roost!

A lot has to do as to where you hunt as well. Some areas of the State, you cannot swing a dead cat and not hit a turkey. Other areas are suffering a lower population of birds.

My tactic hardly changes, out early - stay late!

Good luck to all of you that are hunting still. Stay safe!

Late season is a BLAST....

06-May-19
1. Thermacell; 2. Bug dope; 3. Watch for ticks; 4. Mix it up with tactics; and 5. Go to bed early as the mornings are early and days are long.

In that order! Love killing those late season hombres.

07-May-19
Bloodtrail excellent post,,,,, this week I am in and out of hospital visits, so anytime you can get out is on my agenda,,,, ha ha

07-May-19
Yet another turkey eating coyote bits the dust!!

While out this morning and not a gobble to be heard anywhere....I drifted off for a few minutes.

As I woke, I looked out and here, in the "low crawl" was a big yote stalking the deaks! I brought the 20 gauge as a back up and as he was crawling, I introduced him to a toxic dose of copper plated #5's Nitro Mag 3" load.

It didn't end well for Willey Coyote and his turkey eatin' days are over.

07-May-19
Nice BT

08-May-19
I have shot a nice Tom the last 3 years in a row on Sunday or Memorial Day. All 3 came to a call. I hunt Zone 7 just north of hwy 8.

13-May-19
This was my week........ my heart check up was 100 percent,,,, they do not want to see me till next July............my skin cancer was cut out of me this week, and they got it all, ,,,,,,,,

This morning God blessed me with my best bird yet,,,,, 25.2 lbs,,,,,,, now I will be out with the video

13-May-19
Happy to hear about your health check! Congrats on a tank of a bird too! God is great!

13-May-19
Ground hunter sounds like you had a awesome week, congrats on everything

13-May-19
Congrats Ground hunter!

14-May-19
Sounds like a great double GH. Congrats

14-May-19
Congrats Ground Hunter - last Thursday...3PM, smoked a 21 pounder! Came in with 2 buddies, 3 jakes and 2 hens! Awesome hunt!

23-May-19
In northern Bayfield County, the big woods, located a gobbler just by chance yesterday, funny thing he would not respond to any of my calls but every time this grouse would drum he would gobble

23-May-19
As a NR all I can get is late season tags. In all my years, hunting many seasons, I actually think late season is slightly easier hunting. Just a little different. Especially if you hunt heavily pressured public like I do. But I have learned to cope. As some have stated, leave decoys at home. I don't call. They even run like hell from pop up blinds. So I exclusively use a GhostBlind set up in pre-scouted strutting or dusting sites. Has worked well for me, including last evening. On a public property with a severely depleted bird population. Seasons E & F are just as productive as any, but you just must adjust your tactics.

Heading out now to try and fill my last 2F tag.

24-May-19
I'm surprised no one has luck calling. I always have good luck calling in birds in periods e and f. I think mainly because they spend more time without hens. I tend to struggle calling in birds more periods c and d

• Sitka Gear