Dale06 06-May-19
Treeline 06-May-19
KHunter 07-May-19
Turkey1 07-May-19
Turkey1 07-May-19
Turkey1 08-May-19
Jims 08-May-19
06-May-19
Arrived Sunday at noon. Started hunting about 1. Hiked 10 miles total (according to phone app) without seeing or hearing a bird. Had just about given up on finding birds for the day when we heard a gobble just before sundown. Spotted bird and gonna try and get on him this morning.

Terrible nights sleep so we shall see. Supposed to be here all week but weather looks like it’s gonna get real bad starting Wednesday so we are kinda on a time crunch now. After a brutal day yesterday my hopes of actually getting on birds has significantly faded. Not giving up yet though.

Oh yea. Did find about a dozen black morels though. First time I have ever found morels in Colorado.

06-May-19
Good luck.

06-May-19
Go get em in the morning! Good luck!

07-May-19
what s the best calling set up for morels?

07-May-19
Khunter

Lol. Well go for hike in the mountains and everytime you stop to catch your breath look around your feet. Lol

That’s how we found all of ours. If anybody wants to know where we found them I’ll happily tell you.

07-May-19
Yesterday was much of the same as the first day. Lots of hiking and very few birds seen. Beginning to think we should have come earlier in the season. The birds are pretty spooky and seem to be call shy.

We did get on the bird we saw first thing yesterday morning but he left with his hens.

Long story short this morning we went and decided to sit in an area where this bird was strutting the morning before. No calling and no decoys because this bird and his hens seem to run from them. He came in and I had a shot and just flat missed. Pretty bummed but it happens.

Gonna go back out this afternoon and tomorrow morning and see you if we can find another bird before the weather sets in.

08-May-19
Well after 32.7 miles walked in 2.5 days (nobody can say we didn’t try hard) and lots of rain turning to snow expected for the next 3 days we decided to pack it in. We really wore ourselves out. I think the worse part of the trip was not being able to take it easy and pace ourselves because we knew awful weather was coming. Had we been able to hunt a couple more days probably would have got on birds. We did hear some more birds finally way up high near Bingham lake. But it was too late in the day to get on them.

I was disappointed at the lack of birds we saw. I’ve hunted otc tags in Colorado and seen way more birds than what I saw at the Bosque.

Lesson learned from anyone planning or wanting to hunt at Bosque. Go as early as possible unless you enjoy pressured spooked birds (from our observations) and having to hike a long ways to find them. The locals we talked to (who were shed hunting) said there are tons of birds down low earlier in the season. Not sure what their definition of tons is but we saw zero birds down low and only one bird before you get to any of the gates. All birds heard or encountered were at least 1.5 miles in behind those gates. Not complaining just letting others know what to expect if you go in May.

Overall it was an interesting adventure. I would go back now that I know the area and timing of things. BUT due to the fact it takes 7 points for a nonresident to draw that tag I’ll just stick to the otc tags.

Thanks to all those who on here who provided me with some info on the area. Greatly appreciated.

08-May-19
You certainly gave it your best! I hunted the Bosque gobblers a few years ago on opening. I wouldn't say the place was over run with turkeys early but they were down lower. There were a number of other hunters at the same time so it likely would be good to get on birds quick before the ones that are there are pressued. When I spoke to the game warden...he said the same thing. Good to hunt them early in the season when they are concentrated rather than later when they are scattered all over the remote hills......which is sometimes true throughout Western Colo. I can see how it would be a tough hunt later since most of the Bosque is behind locked gates where you have to hike. You never know...you could have lucked into a bird the first day but it is definitely tougher later in the season!

• Sitka Gear