Qdiver911 22-Sep-19
Dthfrmabove 29-Sep-19
DanaC 01-Oct-19
12-May-19

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Anyone doing much fishing? I've been way to busy and have not managed as much as I'd like. But got the kids on quabbin last weekend and this weekend we did the Petersham Gun Club fishing derby Saturday and then the boy and I did quabbin again today catching several nice LMB and SMB's. He had a blast, though I was worried he may lose a rod to the fish! Ha ha ha!

12-May-19

Tekoa's embedded Photo
Tekoa's embedded Photo
Good year so far on Salmon at the quabbin. 5lb 3oz largest so far.

12-May-19

Huntskifishcook's embedded Photo
Huntskifishcook's embedded Photo
Awesome Will! And beautiful salmon tekoa.

My buddy's daughter asked if I could take her fishing this afternoon. Right when we got there I cast the bobber and work out for her, hand her the pole and immediately this small mouth starts ripping drag. Steve Rinella said in a podcast, "if a kid doesn't get excited when they catch a fish you might wanna get them checked out". The smile says it all!

12-May-19

Mnp nter1980's embedded Photo
Mnp nter1980's embedded Photo
Didn’t get any big ones but a good time with my dad and my son with a few small crappies. Our walleyes opened this weekend, got a few but many other boats were doing better than us. I hope my son enjoys fishing with me as much as I enjoy fishing with my dad.

13-May-19
Hey Tekoa. How bout coming out with me on the boat and showin me some tips on catching those buggers

13-May-19

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo

13-May-19
I made my annual pilgrimage to the Q in early May for lakers. Did pretty well, 3 chunkers over 20", good eating size for the family. Also been doing pretty well on rainbows and fat smallies at the Chu; mostly on bright colored medium profile spoons. Haven't been out for salmon or lakers there yet. Strangely I seem to do better on salmon there in early summer. Probably because I still haven't really learned the rivers yet, easier for me to find em on the steep drops when it gets hot.

13-May-19
Awesome fish guys. Tekoa, that is a BEAST of a LL Salmon. WOW - the thickness top to bottom is amazing! So true Joe. My kids mostly have caught stockie trout and sunfish... some bass but not bigger ones. Watching them almost get the rod removed from their hands is a blast... they LOVE it. I really try though, to stop when we are ahead. I'd have hung out for 5 hours longer if I could have... But instead we bailed after catching a 3 pounder. The boy wanted to toss a few rocks, and then hunt red efts on the way out, so we did that and he had a blast.

MN - that's a great time! Glad you got to enjoy it man!

13-May-19
Great Pics of the Kids! Where are the Stripers? Anyone connecting yet? Its that time of the year again! I got to get away and try a few old spots down the cape. Whats the hot lure this year?

13-May-19

Skippah's embedded Photo
Skippah's embedded Photo
Got my two boys on some schoolies, tautog, and scup in upper buzzards bay the weekend before last

13-May-19

Skippah's embedded Photo
Skippah's embedded Photo

13-May-19
There u go Skippah! Schoolers are in. Suppose to go out in B.B. soon for Some Black Sea bass and Striper next week end Hope we have some luck!

13-May-19
Nice salmon Tekoa. That one has been eating well.

14-May-19
Awesome, good luck

14-May-19
Buzz Bay report- Water temp dropped to 49.9

Hid from the wind in the west end of the canal. 19 stripers to 27”, Black Sea Bass were bycatch, scup we’re mini, not the dinner plate size I’ve been hunting. Local squid all broken up w seals & scup chasing. Heading out in the AM again ( scored 8/boxes of local squid ????) the California squid isn’t even shipping yet, so fluke season may be rough. Cheers

14-May-19
I throughly enjoy white snapper.

14-May-19
If the white snapper smells like a dirty brook trout, toss it out! Also salmon is delicious, I love it with a pink center(cook long enough tho so it flakes)

14-May-19
Qdiver any size to the sea bass yet ??? I am right in sippican harbor and am waiting for the weather to change a bit before heading out in the yak

15-May-19
Thanks QD! sounds like the water temps a bit low still. All the run off I would think. Good Luck!

15-May-19
Took the kids out Sun morning to give my wife some mother's day quiet time, but that's it so far. Picking up my new boat (Mako Pro Skiff) tomorrow so plan to start getting out there as much as possible from here on out. I have been freshwater fishing my whole life, but haven't fished for stripers since I was a kid. My goal is to try and figure out a solid approach and get the kid (and myself) on some stripers this year!

16-May-19
Just got back from upper buzzards bay. Surface temp around 52 degrees. Plenty of scup and Small stripers up to 24”. Few sea bass as well. After this warm weather should be pretty good fishing

16-May-19
Shawn did you fish from your new Yak or the surf/marshes/canal? Sounds like a blast!

16-May-19
Will

From the yak. Very calm out there this morning. Made it out to bird island and back. Spent about 90 min out there this morning

16-May-19

Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
Bought a tug boat for a yak this year. Wanted to get into it cheap with something very stable. I am only going out about a half mile or so so I don’t need anything from the hobie line. So far I am only into it for around 700, but the new rods and reels are killing me. Paid more for one setup than the yak itself. Lol

17-May-19
DFA, yes! The BSB broke my heart to toss back. But, they only get bigger from here as of midnight.

17-May-19
DFA, yes! The BSB broke my heart to toss back. But, they only get bigger from here as of midnight. The Tog crushed the spider crabs. The Greens I caught were too big, and had to 1/2 them, but they ate those as well. The following day, the Bass were ghosts but, the scup were big. Keep ya posted. Not hitting the opener in the AM, field trip w the kids wiped me out and Thunder Chicken is on the request list. Cheers

18-May-19
Thanks for the info Q. Was in sippican harbor with the yak and there were sea robins everywhere gobbling up bait and jigs before anything else could get to them. Plenty of pogies splashing the surface too. Padanarum has a ton of pogies and rumor has it squid so that is going to get hot any day now

20-May-19
Couldn’t find a safe spot out of the wind today, guppies 1, Q, 0

20-May-19
Any thing in the canal yet guys

20-May-19
Shorts in the ditch. Acres of fish in B.B. on bait though. From what I hear there were more fishermen than fish lining the banks

20-May-19
Thanks I'll be headed down to the cape memoral day weekend to chatham

21-May-19
Heading to plum island Thurs!

21-May-19
Fishing gate 8 we'd we got a couple good salmon last week there and I live right down the street from there

21-May-19
Fishing gate 8 we'd we got a couple good salmon last week there and I live right down the street from there

21-May-19
Fishing gate 8 we'd we got a couple good salmon last week there and I live right down the street from there then Fri headed to the cape leave the boat home for a few weeks so I can fish Quabbin till I bring it down to the cape for summer once you break the Quabbin tag on boat your done till next year my boat is big for Quabbin but it has a 20 hp kicker then off to find stripers sea bass and fall run of tuna one of theses days I want to fish the canal never have hear lots of storys

22-May-19
Just spoke w a mate on a local head boat. Megansett Harbor on Fire with dinner plate scup & BSB

22-May-19
scup are some goood eating.

23-May-19
Need some help guys. I'm getting ready to retire and need some advice on buying a fresh water rod/reel combo and any other gear I'll need. I haven't done any serious fishing since my kids were little guys and my old equipment definitely needs an upgrade. I have some Cabela's gift cards burning a hole but there are so many choices I need you experts to weigh in. I'll be primarily fishing fresh water but will probably go salt water eventually. I'm going to have plenty of time between bowhunting seasons. Thanks for any advice.

23-May-19
BC I just bought a Shimano Clarus rod and Daiwa Inferno spinning reel for my dad for smallmouth fishing. Super light but strong enough to handle anything freshwater. Great action and you can feel the slightest hit. Saltwater wise I have a two piece St. Croix Triumph surf casting rod and a 5500 Penn Spinfisher V reel. Hope that helps

23-May-19
If I was buildnig a fishing inventory and shore fishing or casting from a boat or canoe my shopping list would be: -5/6 weight fly rod with a floating line and sink tip line. Buy the best rod you can afford. -6-7 ft light- medium action spinning rod/reel. Any brand name works.

Except for perhaps the largest pike or carp those two will allow you to catch just about any fish in New england.

23-May-19
I hit Chaffins Pond In Holden with my 5wt and some small woolly buggers. Caught some massive perch, bluegills and the biggest crappie of my life. We had a heck of a fish fry.

If you ever have a chance to go there for panfish, do it. Very very weedy, so you only have a few weeks before it is unfishable. But by far the largest sunfish, perch and crappies I have ever seen. 30 years ago it was much better to fish because the weeds were not totally out of control. Pete

23-May-19
BC. Depends on what type of fishing you are doing. When you get to the saltwater part let me know there are all sorts of different types of setups for different applications. I personally have 7 different setups for saltwater and adding more every year so it can get a bit tricky. Price is also a major consideration for your saltwater setups. Do you have a price range ???

My new favorite is one I just built. It is a 10’ blackhole 1/2-2 oz rod paired with a shimano twin power 5000xd. Whole setup only weighs 18oz with braid and can handle fish up to 20lbs with ease from the beach. I built it for albie fishing this fall. Have consistently hit 95-100 yds with a 1/2oz kastmaster. Measured this in a baseball field.

23-May-19
Thanks for the tips. It will be mostly fresh water this year, maybe surf casting next year. Any of you guys fish with an uglystik? I'll probably just get a basic setup to start and see how it goes. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

23-May-19
I've used the same two rod and reel combos for fresh water fishing since I was in my early teens, so 20+ years. One is a 7 foot medium action, with a spinning reel and 8# berkley vanish. I'll use that on everything from panfish, trout/salmon smallmouth in open water and the occasional walleye. My second rod is a 7 foot medium heavy action with a spinning reel, and 12# trilene xt. I use that mostly for fishing bass in heavy cover and throwing heavy lures and topwaters. I'm not a gear nut, if the drag is smooth and the rod is the right sensitivity for the situation I'm happy. Both are Walmart specials, going 20 years strong. My brother has used ugly sticks for as long as I've owned the two rods I just mentioned, he loves them!

23-May-19
All my spinning rods are uglysticks and the flyrod I use for trolling streamers is also an uglystick. See the previous LL salmon picture. The flyrod I use for rivers and streams is a Sage. Which I bought off a for sale bulletin board at work for $50, really.

Tekoa

23-May-19
Tekoa's point on the rods is good. LIke bow's, a lot of fly fishing nuts will want the latest and greatest each year, so they will sell (ebay etc) last years Orvis Helios or Winston or Sage or T & T etc and you can land a great rod for semi reasonable $.

That said, if I was talking freshwater "do it all" sticks I'd go with: 1.) a 6'6" or 7' medium action spinning rod with 8# line. I'd go with a mid road set up - you will get years out of it, and not break the bank - a lot of spinning or casting gear today are up there with fly gear for crazy prices - 250-400 bucks for a reel sort of things. But if you get a mid level Shimano/lews/diawa/quantum/AbuGarcia etc it will still be anti-reverse and last years with minimal care. (assuming fresh water). 2.) a 7 foot heavy action casting rod with 15-20# line (or braid if you want to go there). Same concept on price and brand.

With those two, you have panfish to bass/salmon/pike etc capability with the spinning rod and bass/pike in cover capability with the casting rod.

I'm mostly fly at this point for all species. But I sill have and use my trusty 30~ year old shimano spinning reel/rod and quantum "flippin stick" and casting real at times - they work great. I can fish a spinnerbait or jig or frog through nasty cover and pull out a 7# bass with that casting gear... But I can also drop shot a 3" grub for smallies or toss small/medium sized spoons for trout/salmon with the spinning option.

Ugly sticks are good all purpose rods. They are really hard to hurt for dang sure and the price is good. They can be a bit noodly in terms of action with full flex - almost feel like old school fiberglass rods. That's fine, you just have to know they are generally not fast action or hyper sensitive. But do you need that? not really! So yeah, an ugly stick that's a medium action and a heavy action one (spinning reels if you dont want casting gear) would cover most applications.

Just thought of this... Most BPS and Cabelas branded reels/rods are made by other manufacturers... but not having those "brand" names are cheaper. So using the gift cards and doing gear branded by them may workout great. For a while some of their fly rods were made by G Loomis for example. But a mid line G Loomis may be 500-700 bucks, and the mid line Cabelas rod was say 180-300... Was the blank exactly the same and the finish the same... Of course not. But it was still a really nice rod. I actually got one of they "Euro Nymphing" rods about 8 years ago, a 4wt 11foot. The thing has become my go to rod for most all purpose fly fishing, it's awesome! The comparable rod I was considering at the time, was made by "Greys" (a sub brand of Hardy) but was about 150-200 bucks more or a Cortland (who makes a lot of nymphing rods for competitive fly fishermen today) which was about 100 bucks more. The "traditional" v fly gear from cabelas and bps is similarly solid. It may be a way to get more "bang" for your "card" so to speak...

23-May-19
Wind machine is killing me. Not stopping until Saturday AM. Hope tues/wed it lays down. Just finished my walk around MMA eyes watering , sand blowing!! Ugh

01-Jun-19

Murphy31's embedded Photo
Well the big girls are up in western mass!

01-Jun-19
Joe, try fluorocarbon fishing line and you will never go back to Trilene, way too much memory on the old school lines meaning less tangles! Murphy that’s a damn pig!

01-Jun-19
What a cow, Murphy!

Brad, I'm just too much of a cheapskate to spend the money on flouro. My line sees alot of use, so I respool atleast every spring, it doesn't seem to have the time to get that annoying memory spiral that happens when it sits on a spool for a while. But I have only heard good stuff about flouro!

01-Jun-19
Joe, I’m the biggest cheapskate known to man but their are a few things you can’t skimp on such as steak, fishing line, and toilet paper!

01-Jun-19
Wise words!

01-Jun-19
Most reels I don't spool completely with fluoro cause I'm cheap too. Still, it definitely makes a difference for some presentations. These days the majority of my rigs are spooled with low diameter braid to a really long fluoro leader tied with an albright knot . For big spools I even back with mono sometimes since the fancy new braid is so thin. Best of all worlds. Still keep an all mono reel for topwater and an all fluoro ultralight for streams though.

01-Jun-19

peterk1234's embedded Photo
peterk1234's embedded Photo
Fish fry tonight. My wife is hooked on panfish filleted and fried in butter. Who am I to say no?

01-Jun-19
Matt, I use mono backing with braid on my surfcasting setups. The drag seems to pull more smoothly that way also.

Nice Pete! Is your dog licking fish slime up in that pic? Our cat loves that stuff!

01-Jun-19
That dog looks hungry!

01-Jun-19
Some nice gills there!

02-Jun-19
Upper buzzards bay is loaded with sea bass. Went out this morning in the yak and caught over 20 of them. Most keepers but on the small side

03-Jun-19
Pete - best eating fish ever, period. Bluegills are amazing chow! Flouro is pretty awesome. That bass is awesome. Fishing is awesome.

04-Jun-19
Dang! Murphy!

Me and two buddies fished Holyoke for shad today, run is about done. Tried the Chicopee river, I got a couple bluegills. My buddy pulls in a fish, 'what is this?' It was a *walleye*, so help me... Nice to get out.

05-Jun-19
This wind machine needs to cut the crap. Enough already.

05-Jun-19
HFC, my dog is obsessed by fish. She goes waist deep into the pond and goes back and forth for hours trying to catch them. Won't even come out to pee, just squats in the water and keeps going. Put a fish on a stringer and tie it to the canoe and all she does is stare at it, paw it, and try to grab it and bring it back in. She adds a whole new element tot he fishing experience.

05-Jun-19

Dana, it was grind yesterday for sure. Fished from 6-11am. Only managed 2 bass. One nice though, so it was still better than work.

05-Jun-19
Murphy 31, are these freshwater stripers? Didn't know there were lakes out Western MA that had them, or are they spawning way up Connecticut rivers or something?

05-Jun-19
Skip, they make the run up at least as far as the dam's on the CT, some may get up as high as Gill, but I think they seem to stop trying to hard (unlike shad that get up a lot further). Spawning may be some, but, a big part is just chasing bait.

All that said, I have no clue if some fish holdover in say the Merrimack... But some do in the CT, at least in CT.

That's just a very general and basic understanding. Murphy could clearly lay down a LOT more knowledge about them on the CT than I can! Nice fish man!

06-Jun-19
Skip, those are all fresh water striper. In the Ct river. Chicopee, Springfield area. They chase the herring and shad up. Some claim they spawn. Some claim they don't, but the males are always milking, and the females full of eggs. I think the ct river is a spawning area for bass, but for whatever reason they don't want to admit it. I've even asked people at the fish lift, and they say. Oh no. They don't spawn here. As for the dams, the stripers don't really like going into the lifts. They lift around 300 or so over the Holyoke dam ever year. For whatever reason. They always lift the most right as the run is coming to end.

06-Jun-19
Stripers spawn in fresh water. Whether there is a lot of spawning in the Connecticut system is the question. Enough to establish a distinct population?

06-Jun-19
Awesome thanks for the info guys

06-Jun-19
Where some hold over, I bet a few spawn in the CT... But perhaps the "return" is so poor it's not to well considered vs say Chesapeake or Hudson strain fish. Perhaps most of that occurs in CT, vs MA and the agencies in those states may not communicate well? (that's unlikely on something like this but I'm theorizing)... You guys have me wanting to reach out to MDFW and see what they say. I mean, there are rumors of native americans catching salmon in places like the east branch of the swift (Petersham) or other similar streams which are part of the CT River watershed but many many river miles away (note, this would be around the time of the first European settlers, so several hundred years ago, if it happened). Based on what happens on salmon rivers further north, say the Miramichi or Gaspe rivers in NE Canada, where stripah's seem to be increasing in numbers, but have always been present, it seems reasonable to think that bass could have gone way up many trib's of the CT and had a breeding population solidly in place at some point... Maybe those genetic memories are still in the fish?

09-Jun-19

A few pics of close to where we are staying
A few pics of close to where we are staying
Heading out to Race Point for the day. High tide is at 5 so should be a good day. Got the wife with me. Have been in Ptown for 3 days now and haven’t even fished yet. Pics to follow

09-Jun-19
Plenty of bait and seals and saw a whitey silhouette no one else saw it though. Polarized glasses are the way to go !!!! Going back for sunset

09-Jun-19
To answer the Cr river striper spawning question. Was on the river today and the spawning activity was intense. Multiple pods of stripers where 4-8 males were harrassing a big cow were everywhere. They would roll, break the surface and make a general commotion. While fustrating the fisherman. Eating was not on their minds. One pod rammed my boat during a drift. Went on all morning as long as I was there. So they do spawn and it seemed pretty intense. This was all in a 1/2 mile stretch just downstream from the dam where the current is significantly greater than most of the river. Not sure if the current is enough downstream to keep the eggs afloat for 48-72 hours which they need to remain viable. Emailed Mass Wildlife to see if there has ever been a study to see if the dam releases could be managed to maintain flows for the critical week or two.

24-Jun-19

Outdoorsman's embedded Photo
Great day on the boat Sat! Got to see my son catch his first striper! And then his second and third. Only one keeper, but seeing the excitement on his face was something I will never forget! We will be back at it Thurs night.

24-Jun-19

24-Jun-19

25-Jun-19

Getting the leaders tied up on the rods today. Going to head out this weekend for the first shark trip of the year. Water is warming up and if I get lucky I will get a run or two

28-Jun-19

Wapiti or Bust 's embedded Photo

28-Jun-19

You won’t believe the size of this largemouth bass!

28-Jun-19
Wapiti, wrong angle man. Go on Faceplant to see how its done. Take a selfie but put that bad boy close to the camera. Then claim it is a ten pounder :)

28-Jun-19

Went out in the yak this morning for sea bass and fluke. Did well lots of shorts for bass but did manage some keepers couple fluke but also an inch short

28-Jun-19
You guys are having fun - that's awesome! And, um... that bass is hilarious!

Good to see some kids out there too!

29-Jun-19

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
Buddies kid caught this beauty yesterday!

29-Jun-19

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
This kid got a beauty yesterday out of the harbor on a live pogy

29-Jun-19

Notme's embedded Photo
Notme's embedded Photo
BUNKER!!!! When will you guys learn!!!..lol

A buddy got this behemoth on sandworm on the lower housy..

01-Jul-19
So here is a weird one for ya. We dropped the canoe and kayaks into a local watering hole that we know holds a ton of perch. Tiny little pond. Not even sure if it makes up ten acres. So we are jigging away catching perch. Next thing we see is my daughter's rod bend over and a fish is fighting like hell. At first glance she though it was a pickerel. We finally get in the net and wouldn't you know..... it is a 15 inch brookie. Where the hell did that thing come from? There is a tiny brook that feeds it, but it is not connected to another lake.

When I filleted the thing it had a beautiful orange color to the meat, so I'm guessing it has been in there a while. Oh.... and her boyfriend hooked another one immediately, but lost it at the boat. So I think some brookies are living in this spit of water and cruising with the perch.

Ended up with one hell of a fish fry. Little over a dozen nice perch and fat brookie. Rolled it in batter and washed it down with some homemade pineapple and orange infused vodka. Life is good :) Pete

01-Jul-19
Sweet, Pete! Can’t beat the fish fry!

01-Jul-19

Shanation's embedded Photo
Nice to see everyone's having fun wetting some lines! Here's some highlights from my fishing season so far

01-Jul-19

01-Jul-19
Shane, you getting those beauties in the Deerfield? Awesome fish man!

02-Jul-19
The swift early spring, never been to Deerfield's but I hear it's an awesome place

06-Jul-19

Back at it again. Had to sit in the car for a bit. Major downpour !!!

07-Jul-19
Shawn you fishing with a lightsaber? Lol

09-Jul-19

BQP's embedded Photo
BQP's embedded Photo
BQP's embedded Photo
BQP's embedded Photo
BQP's embedded Photo
BQP's embedded Photo
Couple canal stripers from over the holiday weekend

09-Jul-19

BQP's embedded Photo
BQP's embedded Photo
And some fluke from the weekend before. First time ever fishing for/catching them. Outta lower Narragansett bay. Was thrilled to get one 26” and 8 pounds

09-Jul-19
Beautiful fish, BQP!

10-Jul-19
Yummy

11-Jul-19

B&M Baked 's embedded Photo
B&M Baked 's embedded Photo
First stripper of the year. Can't break the 40 pound mark - 38.6 pounds! Top water. Cape Cod canal.

11-Jul-19
Nice friggin catch !

11-Jul-19
nice one! ya cant beat a top water bite

11-Jul-19
Nice fish guys but sorry Canal fish don’t count!!!!! . Lol. Those doormat fluke are a thing of beauty though

11-Jul-19
Deanman. You know it. If I can’t catch them on a hook I will cut them in half with the lightsaber!!! Fishing has been good still waiting for you to be able to make it down here. I have a chair with Jocelyn’s name on it waiting for a fish for her to reel in. Might have to hold her by the belt loops though to make sure she doesn’t get pulled in !

12-Jul-19
Awesome fluke! And a nice bass from the canal. I so want to jig for some bass in the canal but just can't get myself to get down there and deal with the shit show. I miss that place.

12-Jul-19
And yes the place can be a zoo. Put your time in and stay away from the crowds fish the cape side. And just have fun have ice cream and BBQ at the bulkhead. And take the bike !

12-Jul-19
Nothin like catching a cow on top water! Nice Fish B&M, what you catch it on? Those Fluke are great eating , BQP Door Mats!

12-Jul-19

7 ft around 200lbs or a little more give or take

12-Jul-19
Wow, Dth!!! What type of shark?

12-Jul-19
HFSC. Brown shark. Have one more tag left. I have to get more . Shooting for 20 sharks tagged this year. Got 12 done last year

13-Jul-19
Man that's awesome! Is the tag used for tracking studies?

13-Jul-19
Yes. If it’s ever caught again hopefully they call or mail in the tag and the data is then stored for future use. They are highly migratory and make their way down south in the winter only up here for the summer months

14-Jul-19
Giant toothy critter... wana go for a swim???

14-Jul-19
WOW SHAWN! Awesome fish buddy. I got to get Jocelyn out there to hook onto one of those! I will bring my bag of lures and leaders.... Lol.

14-Jul-19

14-Jul-19
hahahah. Deanman you know I always have enough. Just bring yourself and Jocelyn down and I can take care of the rest !!!

15-Jul-19
Awesome fish Shawn - that's amazing!

I've been in MN and in the UP the last two weeks, did some fishing but not as much as I'd have liked. Caught some bass/sunfish/pike... but the fish of the trip didnt even eat my fly. As I stripped a 5" long streamer for bass on Deer Lake MN, just a 20' session on the dock at a friends cabin... About 20 feet out, I see a large shape emerge behind my fly. I wondered if it was a loon at first, then it became clear (you can see through the water like gin there), that it was a several foot long muskie, maybe 4 feet or so, about 6" behind my streamer fly. I kept the fly going and the fish kept following... but right at my feet off the dock, as I tried to figure 8, it must have seen me move or something and it shot out into the depths. AMAZING that the most fun experience (while fishing) of the trip was the fish that DIDNT eat my fly!

28-Jul-19
Will that must have been an adrenaline rush. Nothing gets the blood flowing more than when you see the beast coming in on you !!!

28-Jul-19

Back on the beach tonight. Little snotty out 2-3 ft breakers on the beach with a stiff SW wind.

29-Jul-19
Couple weeks ago they shocked a stretch of the Swift - there are some HUGE browns in there, probably 'state record'.

29-Jul-19
DFA, Awesome shark!

Will, nothing like a big pike on a fly.

30-Jul-19
Dana - 21# was the peak, with "a number" over 11#. They are eating the snot out of the brookies, which have done great since the 08 and 12 ice and early snow storms put a bunch of new wood in the river resulting in more food and cover. I wish to heck they would make more of that river C/R all year. The way it's progressing is really exciting.

They are going to shock it monthly into the fall, trying to determine fish movement on the river and I believe how the brookies are doing. This year has been odd though - with the quabbin over flow getting to almost 2K cfs (on a stream that's been either 120 or 50 cfs for years pending CT river navigation needs, with only short over flow events...) and having been over 300 from last fall till about 3 weeks ago. Some of the wood has moved due to the flow... Hoepfully it doesnt mess up what the river is becoming!

30-Jul-19

hickstick's embedded Photo
Ive caught a few lg mouth from shore and from the paddleboard. No lunkers yet tho.

Actually took the SUP out with the fly rod 2 weeks ago and caught a couple if perch & bass. I tell ya, casting the fly on a stand up paddle board takes balance. Lol.

04-Sep-19

EBow10's embedded Photo
EBow10's embedded Photo
EBow10's embedded Photo
89” hooked up at 8:30am took about 3 hours to land and get on the boat
EBow10's embedded Photo
89” hooked up at 8:30am took about 3 hours to land and get on the boat
Got this bluefin yesterday on my bday!!!

04-Sep-19
Congrats !! Awesome birthday present!!

04-Sep-19
Wow dude! Are you going to have any room in your freezer for venison?

04-Sep-19
Hahaha shipped straight to Japan for auction..should give me a couple extra $$$ for some new hunting toys...

05-Sep-19
E bow are they still giving a low price or is it better since it opened back up? Before it closed 2 commercial guys I know only got 2 bucks a pound.

05-Sep-19
It’s a lot better now. When they originally opened it up guys were getting 83 cents a pound. They were selling them to lobster guys for bait. We didn’t even bother fishing then. Fish are a lot fatter now and worth making a trip. We were an hour into fighting this one and 50 feet off the back of the boat another tuna rocketed straight out of the water about 15 feet chasing bait it was a good day of fishing.

05-Sep-19

bjstcrusn's embedded Photo
Holy crap. Imagine buying bluefin tuna for lobster bait! I love fishing out there mostly for shark but I'll get an occasional bluefin. Usually on a shark rig believe it or not. I am terrible at straight up tuna fishing lol.

05-Sep-19
Wtf dont know where that came from lol

05-Sep-19

Was supposed to send this. Caught this guy while shark fishing with size 18 shark circle 480 lb steel leader drifting and chumming

06-Sep-19

Got into a massive rough tail stingRay from the beach last night. After 3 hrs we decided to chase it down in the whaler. Estimates were somewhere around 6 ft across and probably close to 250-300 lbs. Almost 400 yds out it came to the surface and decided it had enough of us and broke the line at the leader. Will have some footage for you as soon as it is edited. Ryan from “ my fishing cape cod “ was along for the fight

06-Sep-19
DTH I think u were just drunk and hooked a buried lobster pot hahahahaha. Kidding buddy that’s awesome

06-Sep-19
Sounds amazing Shawn! U guys catch more variety this time of year with the warm water?

06-Sep-19
That's friggin cool !! Can't wait to see the video.

07-Sep-19
Moons. Hahahha I thought about that, but you know that setup I am using. I could pull a pot in with it !!

07-Sep-19
The guys I fish with were getting into rays a lot early July here. I was at different beaches and got sharks. Now it seems the rays are back in strong again WTF !!! Honestly these things suck when you hook them. The odds of bringing one of these things to the beach are low. We are 1 for 4 so far

07-Sep-19
Just checked, fall trout stocking is still in 'coming soon' status. https://www.mass.gov/service-details/trout-stocking-report

11-Sep-19
End of season here. Cooked the alternator on the E-Tec tubing w the kiddos. Great ending to a rough season. Stopped Spearfishing for 2019 after a total of 6 GWS encounters, and self preservation took over, so I stuck to rod/reel. Of which I realize I suck at, but trying to improve. Didn’t have nearly as many days on the water due to “Dadzilla Duties” & life in general. Will stick to shore fishing for the rest of 2019. That being said, was a guest on a buddies boat Tuesday, we chased the Albies for almost 4/hrs, didn’t get a single hookup. Chasing those things are a blast! Water temps on the drop, Tog are on the piles, go get em boys & girls.

12-Sep-19

Notme's embedded Photo
Notme's embedded Photo

12-Sep-19
Quiver any videos of the GW encounters? You got balls of steel spear fishing with those around.

12-Sep-19
Checked the website again, "Fall stocking begins around the last week of September."

12-Sep-19
BJ, I lived it! 2 things, actually 3

1) no video, 2) the difference between a 10’ GWS and a 15’ GWS is mind boggling ( compare a VW Beetle to a VW Microvan. Seriously 3) when the last one passed between my boat and the HM Vessel, I thing we all shit a bit. She/ was all of 18’. I was in my 19’ boat. That being said, I managed to survive a career in FF/ EMS, 72/hrs on The Pile in Manhattan 18/yrs ago.... amongst other things, I’m all set with being taken out at the pelvis while pithing my Cape Cod Fish!

17-Sep-19
That's some crazy stuff Quiver. Be safe out there

17-Sep-19
Qdiver. That is why I stay on land!

20-Sep-19

Dthfrmabove's Link
Managed to get out on a hot albie nite this morning. How I haven’t fished for these things before is beyond me

22-Sep-19
Shawn, beeped on the way home from kids baseball, I guess I know why I didn’t see the truck! Those fish will make ya nuts!

29-Sep-19

Dthfrmabove's Link
Hahah. Yeah Q. Been hitting it hard out there. Sad to say but if these albies are still around come the opener of the deer season I might just be out on the water !!! Went today and found acres of them. All 6 pounds and up. Some pretty large and fought like heck, put together a little video to share. Gear is a shimano twinpower 5000xd with 20lb braid on a TFO 3/8-7/8 oz rod. Was way under gunned on the rod and will switch back to my 1/2-2 oz rod tomorrow

01-Oct-19
Fll tarout stocking has started!

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/trout-stocking-report

• Sitka Gear