MA_Bowhunter 18-May-19
hunterma 18-May-19
drslyr 19-May-19
Les 22-May-19
hunterma 22-May-19
Tazman 23-May-19
Arrownoob 24-May-19
16-May-19
What do you guys usually run for a later in the season setup? First Saturday I called three Toms in but they didn’t like the full strutter. Never came out of woods. Called 6 jakes in a few mins later and they came in but very timid. Cousin got one of those jakes. Last Saturday they loved the Jake with the bedded hen. Called those same three Toms in and got one. Now the fields are getting really tall. Torn on what to run on Saturday morning. Gonna be my last turkey hunt for the spring

17-May-19
I am no expert moonz as a matter of fact im getting worse the older i get. Because of what happened to me im able to hunt every day. Im using DSD decoys which are supposed to be some of the best made but in the very few turkey encounters ive had they just seem to be scaring the toms and jakes. The hens come in and peck at them but the toms run the second they see em. Never had such a bad yr in all the yrs ive turkey hunted.

17-May-19

17-May-19

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
Back in the spot same as yesterday. 3 deer 1 coyote. NO TURKEYS

17-May-19

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
Try again

17-May-19

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
And again

17-May-19
Hey maybe i got it.

Funny thing i drive around the property im hunting on and see toms in peoples yards. Right now im within 600 yds of a tom i saw just before i walked in.

Nuttin not a sound. Havnt heard a gobble in 10 days

17-May-19
No shortage of woodpeckers. Ifin somethin dont happen soon ima gonna have to start pluckin my wattle.

17-May-19
Sorry for hijackin your thread moonz

17-May-19
Good luck slayer hope u kill a beard dragger

18-May-19
Jake with the bedded hen is my go to setup

18-May-19
I think a single hen is still the best/easiest setup, with a hen and undersized jake a close second. As to gobbling, I've found them still to be very active and noisy first thing in the morning when still roosted, but once on the ground I don't expect any gobbling, they will just walk in silent.

19-May-19
Getting discouraged. I have 5 spots I hit. The last 10 days nuthin in all of them. I arrive at first light and quit at noon too. Not a gobble to be heard anywhere.

22-May-19
I have a single Avian X hen that I run all season. Because that's all I want to carry in. Killed two birds with it in two years. The first time I called in a big ole Tom, he had one look at that thing and went into full strut a foot away from it.

22-May-19
I agree Les, that's what I do as well. I think adding a small Jake would be even better but I'm already carrying in too much crap as it is.

23-May-19
My go to set up is the postured DSD jake with any hen, but in some areas, late season, you might get "chicken" turkeys. As the season gets longer, they might have had more negative encounters with either dominate toms or gangs of jakes, so they might avoid any possible fights. A single hen or no dekes might be the way to go, late season.

24-May-19
I had all my decoys out I think I freaked out 3 gobblers. When I packed them all away a nice Tom walked in and I shot him. I was going to go hunting this morning but I changed my mind and decided I would rest up for tomorrow, last day of the season. I got up at 4:45am to take a piss and as I'm peeing I hear gobbles out back in the woods. My heart ramped up and I was wide awake. I don't think I'm good enough to effectively hunt with a bow for turkey and I was hesitant to take the 12 gauge back there - kind of within earshot of my neighbors and the legality is arguable. So I went back to bed and lay there 45 minutes wide awake. After 45 minutes I got back up still wide awake to listen for them but all was quiet. That noise is exciting!

• Sitka Gear