CaptMike 03-Oct-19
Nocturnal 03-Oct-19
CaptMike 03-Oct-19
Mathews 04-Oct-19
Novice 04-Oct-19
CaptMike 04-Oct-19
Mathews 04-Oct-19
21-May-19
Anyone know the best way to till ground that's never been tilled before? Inaccessible with large equipment

21-May-19
Roundup. Get an old toothed drag. Work in good roundup again. Add soil amendments, work in again. Plant something that is roundup ready the first year. Forage soybeans for instance. The second year your field will b much much easier to control weeds. Or if you want clover do above but plant the end of August clover and oats. In the spring now around Memorial Day, wait 2 weeks and hit it with and application of arrest and broadleaf killer. Mow around Labor Day. Repeat the next year. Should get 4-5 good years out of it

21-May-19
Thanks for the tip wishedhead

21-May-19
Mow the clover on memorial and labor day

22-May-19
I use a drag harrow with my ATV on new ground and then do throw and roll/mow after I have tilled it the 1st time. I don't have a cultipacker to roll so I drag my big Otter ice fishing sled weighted down. You could use the harrow upside down with the tines up.

Another option for a 1st year plot is to plant buckwheat for the summer months. It is safe temperature wise to do so now. It grows in any soil (heck, spilled seed grows in the back of the pickup truck) while the soil is being amended (lime, fertilizer). It will also crowd weeds and is a great soil builder. In the late summer, broadcast in winter rye, oats, clover, and some brassicas like radishes or turnips and roll the plot. Fertilize according to the soil sample test. Do this before a rain. You'll have a nice fall plot. If your goal is to have a clover plot, plant your perennial clovers in the fall. They will set root and take off in the spring. The winter rye will come back in the spring as a nice companion crop for the clover and add more organic matter.

22-May-19
Sweet, thank you guys so much

22-May-19
I did like Wishedhead, only I planted in early August to take advantage of rain that was coming. Clover patch lasted 5 years before weeds took over. Never shot a booner in those five years off it like they do on TV so gave it up and went back to hunting natural foods like acorns and clearcuts.

26-May-19
Check out the food plot forum lots of good info!

29-May-19

29-May-19

30-May-19

dbl lung's embedded Photo
dbl lung's embedded Photo
Roundup and these tools have worked well for me the last 15 years.

05-Jun-19
You don't need to till the ground to get good food plots. Here is what I have done and will again do this fall. On a couple of plots I do, I leave it alone until mid June, then spray with roundup, spot spray again in mid July, end of July spot spray where/if needed. Then at the end of July/first part of August just broadcast the seed right over the dead vegetation. Use small seeds, a mix of brassicas with annual clovers work awesome. if you want you can drive your ATV over the plot, not necessary. Then at the end of August broadcast your grains if you want. With average rains in August in September you should be good to go. BC

05-Jun-19
What Bow Crazy said. That's what I've done for years. One year for the heck of it I sprayed roundup and broadcast seed on the same day on a 1/4 acre just to see what would happen...... not perfect but not bad for the time invested.

05-Jun-19
Bow Crazy +1. I have only tilled the soil the 1st time on each new plot and have always just broadcasted into existing plots going forward. This method is especially important for me because my soil is so sandy. I use a chest sprayer for all my Gly/Cleth/etc work and I have a chest spreader for seed, lime (in small kill plots), and fertilizer). One does not need big equipment to have successful smaller food plots.

05-Jun-19
My fall plots I spray, wait 10 days, broadcast turnips, groundhog radishes, or winter rye and clover, and then mow.

06-Jun-19
I know I saw it on a thread awhile back, but I cant for the life of me find it. Someone or a few of you, discussed winter wheat and brassicas. If I remember correctly, mid-late summer, the WW was rolled over and the brassicas were broadcast directly over them?

I have a chunk of ground I am looking to use for brassicas/fall crop of some sort, but I want a cover crop in there during spring and summer months.

I know your out there, your help would be appreciated

11-Jun-19

Bow Crazy's Link
Frigid, I have never tried it, but from others I know that have, it will work. Check out a theory by Dr. Grant Woods, "The Buffalo System" of planting food plots. You are doing sort of the same thing. BC

11-Jun-19
FA, I do it all the time and it is a very popular method. It is what Paul Knox did for years and I am basically using his blends and methodology. I have a spring/summer blend with is usually just last years winter rye and/or buckwheat. If I have grasses/weeds to deal with, I spray them in July and broadcast my brassicas. You could also broadcast peas at that time. I then roll over the whole plot. Do that timed with a rain. The plants you roll over provide protection to the new seeds and help retain moisture. I then broadcast in my fall grains in August.

11-Jun-19
I’m going with GRO Soil Builders Mix this year, and will make that a clover plot next year.

12-Jun-19
Bump, trying to get rid of the crossbow threads

13-Jun-19

13-Jun-19
Chief, your bumping crap is worse than the posts that MO makes that you complain about.

13-Jun-19
Reggiezpop, I recommend you spread your clover with your fall plot (Soil Builder which has served me well - good choice). The clover will start very slow but will really take off in the spring and will fight off some grass and weeds. I'd also toss in some winter rye as a companion crop for the clover.

13-Jun-19
I thought about that, Happy. I was just going to do clover and winter rye, but then thought the soil builder mix would be good. Followed by a clover and rye next year. I guess I could do it all, but will need to scale back on how much seed I put out.

13-Jun-19
Mowed mine down today and increased the size. When it starts growing back in a week or so I’ll spray it and get it ready to till. Soil sample is in the mail today. I love working the soil and seeing the animals benefit from it.

14-Jun-19

happygolucky's embedded Photo
Reggiezpop, if you go that route, I would consider frost seeding the clover next later winter to give it a head start. I did a spring clover plot in the past and it worked but the common opinion is to start it in the fall. If you start it in the beginning of the year, you might need to spray for weeds and grass but you might need that even if you start it in the fall. Either way, I recommend you add some winter rye to the Soil Builder mix to give the clover the companion crop in the spring. Looking forward to seeing some pics!

The pic is of a trail I did in clover and chicory that I started in the spring without the soil being completely amended to where I want it. It did pretty well and the deer hammered it. I am still amending the soil to get the ph up. The nutrients portion of the last soil test was good. I did need to spray it though but mostly the outside edges. I sprayed that with Gly. I did not need to spray Poast or Cleth for grasses luckily.

The pictures were not taken with a trail cam. I was working in the food plot this clover trail leads to and the deer came into the trail and cared less that I was there. I just went their way and took a few pics and they just kept eating.

14-Jun-19
What is wrong with my posts Captain? Light gathering and magnified scoped crossbows are the perfect weapon to cover a food plot as near darkeness arrives and the big boys show up as the last ones in.

Good information here on food plots. Nice to see hunters improving habitat.

14-Jun-19
Happy, good info, thank you!

So your WR and Clover you are spreading in august is what comes up next spring? I'm missing something, or not understanding agriculture very well. In the other thread you speak of an annual clover, I was always under the assumption that any growth from an annual, prior to winter, and its dead?

What clover do you use in the mix?

14-Jun-19
Frigid- planting WR with clover allows the clover to come up while the deer feed on the rye. Come spring, I do believe that the rye comes back as well. I hear mixed reviews whether you’re supposed to mow the rye before or after it goes to seed to keep it at bay. Hoping Happy can comment on this part.

14-Jun-19
What is wrong with my posts Captain? Light gathering and magnified scoped crossbows are the perfect weapon to cover a food plot as near darkeness arrives and the big boys show up as the last ones in.

Missouri, can we please have at least one thread on Bowsite where you don't interject your negative xbow crap upon us. Please go away.

14-Jun-19
So your WR and Clover you are spreading in august is what comes up next spring? I'm missing something, or not understanding agriculture very well. In the other thread you speak of an annual clover, I was always under the assumption that any growth from an annual, prior to winter, and its dead?

Yes, I am talking about perennial clovers like Ladino, Red, Alsike, and Fixation Balansa for example. They will typically give you up to 5 years in a plot. Same with Chicory. If you spread perennial clovers and winter rye in the fall, the clover takes root but will grow very slowly. It comes back like gang-busters in the spring through. The winter rye will come back in the spring and serve as a companion crop for the clover before it dies off. I have never mowed the rye. If you get some free rye from it seeding, that hurts nothing. If you don't want it, it can always be sprayed.

Annuals like most white clovers and say Berseem, give you a season and they are done. I personally like Berseem as it is a fast grower. Annuals are more popular in fall crop mixes because of the faster growth.

Please note, I am not an expert at this. Others might have other opinions. I know what I have learned and have used and had success with. As noted above, most people recommend planting clover plots in the fall, but I had success with a spring planting.

14-Jun-19
My clover and winter rye experiences are the same as Happy's. Sometimes I mow the rye out the following summer but I have watched turkeys flock to the mature rye in late summer and target the seed heads.

14-Jun-19
My clover and winter rye experiences are the same as Happy's. Sometimes I mow the rye out the following summer but I have watched turkeys flock to the mature rye in late summer and target the seed heads.

15-Jun-19
If you didn't mow the rye/clover in the summer, isn't it too much competition for your late summer annuals to grow (brassicas, peas, etc....) I understand WR can be rolled over, and eventually dies later summer, but I would assume the clover would be pretty dang thick still wouldn't it, rolled over clover would bounce right back up.

15-Jun-19
Clover becomes my food plot once the winter rye is gone. I plant brassicas, peas and radishes etc in other plots, not in my clover plots.

15-Jun-19
Today I site prepped next years food plot. I sprayed a broadleaf specific herbicide to get rid of a century of noxious weeds brought in by farming, Penny Cress one of them. I am done with putting in annual crops as it does nothing in an agricultural area except drain the pocket book and apply excess fertilizer and x-cides . Today was the start of growing back turf to stabilize the soil. Next spring, in comes the Reynolds planter and 2000 white oak. Guaranteed to be the best food plot all animals will use and won’ t cost a dime or time after spring 2020.

Over it the years I have learned that habitat improvement is badly needed and I realized how much better my effort has been planting trees. Today only solidifies what I have learned. Meanwhile, the neighbor’s continue to complain why they don’t see deer like they used to. Their wooded areas have no understory and were e high-graded in the past. At this rate, they will be complaining for the next 50 years as they sit around a 1acre clover plot. I have tried to teach them, but they just don’t understand. All those nocturnal game camera pictures don’t lie but unfortunately give them false hope. Nothing comes easy, but inaction comes with a price. Moral of story, forest management is key to wildlife survival.

15-Jun-19
Good to see my beans have started to sprout, thanks guys for the help!!

19-Jun-19
If you didn't mow the rye/clover in the summer, isn't it too much competition for your late summer annuals to grow (brassicas, peas, etc....) I understand WR can be rolled over, and eventually dies later summer, but I would assume the clover would be pretty dang thick still wouldn't it, rolled over clover would bounce right back up.

I am just adding into the bare areas of the clover plots more or less. I like broadcasting in some brassicas into those areas as they persist into winter. I have annual plots that get more brassicas in the bigger mix I mentioned and those are the ones I roll. I do not roll my perennial clover/chicory plots. I usually don't add winter rye to those well established perennial plots. I only put in more when I establish a new clover plot. I just sprayed 2 clover plots yesterday with Butyrac and Cleth so it will be bye-bye to any winter rye that persisted. All that should remain is the clover and chicory. I will hit the annual plots with Gly in July, broadcast into them, and roll. I'll just broadcast into that the grain mix in August and fertilize according to the soil sample I take in July.

20-Jun-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
I will typically roll my rye flat in August, some will reseed it self and also the clover really pops after that rolling with the additional sunlight.

20-Jun-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Brassica plot with a few Apples in the center.

20-Jun-19
That looks awesome Trapper. You must not have a high deer density to allow your plots to get that lush. I'm jealous. The only stuff in my plots that get to full size is what grows in the seclusion cages or ended up in the apple tree cages.

20-Jun-19
Troll much, Slicer?

21-Jun-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Happygolucky, this one is for you. This is before I started putting deterrents around my plots for the first 2 months.

21-Jun-19
Slicer, that's a pretty rude way to ask for "help." And the answer to your question is, none of the above.

Honestly, the main reason I do it............its fun! I enjoy being out in woods whenever I can. I get just as excited to go out and plant a new plot as I do to go sit on stand some days. If I can enjoy it, and the wildlife benefit as well......seems like a win win to me.

21-Jun-19
Welcome to Wisconsin slicer, where did you move here from?

21-Jun-19
Frigid- He’s just here to stir the pot. Time to ignore him...

21-Jun-19
Apparently slicer, the dirt boy reincarnate, is perplexed and confused about much.

21-Jun-19
Neverbait is Neverbait regardless of the alias.

21-Jun-19
Hit that nail on the head, Happy!

21-Jun-19

RJN's embedded Photo
RJN's embedded Photo
10 days later, can see the rows.

21-Jun-19
Anyone ever try sunflower, soybean mix? Due to bad weather my renter was not able to plant my 20 acres and will take the insurance payment. Says he is going to plant this mix for a cover crop. I know soybeans are good but have no experience with sunflowers for deer or do I know anyone who has. Any opinions ?

25-Jun-19

Come on ladies, give it a chance to grow!
Come on ladies, give it a chance to grow!
He needs another 3 years :).
He needs another 3 years :).
This is a new plot I am trying to establish this year. The bigger tree on the right is a mature crabapple. I put in 2 new apple trees this spring (you can see the cage of one on the left of the 1st picture). The plot curves a little to right and extends to the left as well. My issue has been rain. I can't get any on this land in Escanaba but it did drop a little yesterday. I have buckwheat and Berseem clover (an annual) in there for the summer and I am not sure what will go there later this summer. The ph is > 7 and I've done some nutrients amending as I did a soil sample there last summer to give me any idea what I was up against. This might be all brassicas this year.

My issue is deer numbers. The minute something sprouts, the deer gobble it up. I don't have any high land dry clearings bigger than 1/2 acre for my plots. While I have 5 of those on the land right now, it is not enough.

25-Jun-19
WI Buck, If you do Sunflowers, make sure you have access to a greenchopper or at the very least a brush hog and a lot of patience. I planted one year and they came up great. Got about 7-8 feet tall, some got the tops eaten off at the 4-5 foot stage. The next spring I wanted to chop up with the brush hog but when I knocked them flat the mower wouldn't pick them up. Never again for me.

25-Jun-19
Thanks Trapper that does not sound encouraging . He is planting soybeans also so maybe they will not be to thick.

25-Jun-19
My partner put out a food plot on our Vernon County land....... if I throw out some apples I am a violator,,, what a joke

26-Jun-19
WIBUCK, envision 7 foot tall bamboo fishing poles stuck in the ground. When you drive over them they get knocked flat and you cant mow them. I ended up raking and burning as it takes a long time to rot down.

26-Jun-19

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Got my soil sample back today. Time to get to work.

26-Jun-19
Trapper, If you could get your hands on a flail mower. I bet it would chop them once they are knocked down. I rent a Orec walk behind flail mower every year to do our trails. It will mow right down to the dirt if you want it to. Plus the flail blades cut better/finer.

26-Jun-19

27-Jun-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Yes Rut, a Flail would work great but unfortunately this is the only piece of equipment that I own along with a roller. I don't think it would work without a PTO. lol

27-Jun-19
Mount, and gear up an exercise bike to a flail mower. Have children or grandchildren? Problem solved........lol

27-Jun-19
Trapper’s boy is a whitetail assassin. I think he would laugh at the exercise bike hahahaha!!!!

26-Jul-19
I ventured into one of my old hunting spots where 8 years ago I had planted a great food plot, as expected it was totally overgrown, weeds 3 feet tall. I went back in a few days later with my heavy duty weed wacker. When done I placed a camera, three weeks have gone by so I decided to check the trail camera, to my surprise I had so many deer, turkeys & bear on that old food plot, it was as if I replanted but I didn’t. Has anyone experienced this before?

26-Jul-19
well I have some nice plots in.... what a joke,,, my neighbor will be arrested by the FBI if he puts out a few apples

Its all good for the deer,,,, someone should tell that to half the NRB that do not hunt

26-Jul-19
“What are your thoughts on winter rye”

Grains yes, grass no.

29-Jul-19
When I moved back to wi in 1990 I bought a farm with 120 ac . Deer lived on the farm but fed on the other properties around me . A Nov 1st airplane ride showed why . Huge piles of bait all around me .

The following year I bought a Ford N frame & inplements . Put 7- 2 ac food plots in . Corn , Alfalfa , clover , Rutabagies , &on the advice of a pro I scattered Radishes thru out the plots .

The end results was a herd that became nocturnal . Just like heavy baiting the Deer knew a boatload of food was waiting for them so why expose themselves .

The next 10 years I put in a few dozen 3 foot x 40 ft strips &saw more mature Deer .

Drop Tine , your doing food plots to benefit the Deer ?

HEH HEH

29-Jul-19
I fed 15+ deer into the winter and only took one last fall. So yep, They benefitted judging by the fat on the one we did take.

Also there is no reason for them to go nocturnal unless you are over pressuring the area. I have 3 different bucks on camera this summer so far. Normally I don’t have bucks on camera till closer to the rut.

In my area I have cover and water but was missing food. I now have that and I’m quite happy with the results.

29-Jul-19
Will , we're not comparing apples to apples. Your comparing avg Deer to Mature Deer . There's a big difference .

Studies have proven many times that large rich food plots cause mature Deer to go Nocturnal on non hunted food plots . That's fact.

And yes there's exceptions to every study .

29-Jul-19

Ruger1022's embedded Photo
This guy was arrowed in mid October. While feeding in one of the 3 foot strips of Radishes & Clover .

29-Jul-19
We have a couple big food plots but we do not hunt over them. There's no doubt they are great to keep deer in the area but mature deer don't hit them during daylight. They also haven't made mature deer nocturnal from what I've seen. Find out where the mature deer bed and get between them and food. Food plots can help make travel routes more predictable

30-Jul-19
"Studies have proven many times that large rich food plots cause mature Deer to go Nocturnal on non hunted food plots . That's fact." Ruger, I would be interested in reading these studies. BC

30-Jul-19
Glenn your contradicting yourself. Saying food plots make bucks nocturnal, but then show a nice buck harvested in a food plot.

30-Jul-19
I have squat for mature bucks in the UP around my land. The bigger bucks we've had on camera were all seen during daylight in our plots.

I've seen Lee Lakosky and his guests kill P&Y and B&C bucks over his plots year in and year out. I believe thousands of nice bucks succumb to food plot kills annually. To me, the key is not over hunting them.

30-Jul-19

Will , re read the posts. The size of the food plots are the issue . geez .

BC I ' LL find the article . It's 15 pages _ that's where I learned about using Radishes in food plots . Remember the year CWD was " discovered" . We had a statewide ban on baiting . We had great hunting that year. The Deer we're up & feeding earlier every day .

When there is an over abundance of food the Deer move less . That's also fact .

Yes uncle Bob shoot a 150 class at noon in a food plot 4 years ago. There are exceptions to every rule in hunting .

30-Jul-19
There is something to narrow strips as deer like to graze and keep moving.

I don't know that large plots make them any more nocturnal than they already are, especially around here when you have agricultural land and they have plenty of options to begin with.

30-Jul-19
Glenn, how do the kill bucks in the farm belt in the southern part of the state with all the bean and corn fields? Fields 40 plus acres in size.

My plots I always make in a L shape that allows them to be hunted in many wind directions and stand locations. As stated for Mature bucks set up between bedding and and the food. Doe’s are in the plots at all times of the day and at that special time of year the boys will be in tow also.

I hunted the southern part of the state 35 seasons and understand how deer react to food and common farming practices. Moving north I had to learn a whole new game. But by introducing food to an area that is void of “farm foods” I can replicate on “my” land on a small scale what I had in the south.

The key is planting crops that are high protein, palatable, and can withstand grazing pressure. (Tonage) The home front is set up for my Wife mostly or quick hunts for me. I hunt some MFLO spots and Richland County now that my son and I acquired some land there.

To me I really enjoy farming for wildlife and adding to their well being for winter carryover.

30-Jul-19
Is that jealousy I see on your chin? LOL

30-Jul-19

A&O's Link
Glenn is the attached link you getting a ticket for baiting last fall? Nothing you say above makes any sense.

Ruger says

"A Nov 1st airplane ride showed why . Huge piles of bait all around me ."

"Just like heavy baiting the Deer knew a boatload of food was waiting for them so why expose themselves ."

"This guy was arrowed in mid October. While feeding in one of the 3 foot strips of Radishes & Clover ." Are you sure it was not a Pile?

"Remember the year CWD was " discovered" . We had a statewide ban on baiting . We had great hunting that year. The Deer we're up & feeding earlier every day ." So why did you bait and get caught?

31-Jul-19
I cannot comment on this until Oct 28th . At that time I can explain what went down .

31-Jul-19
This thread is really drawing out the fake profiles.

Slicer- did you forget to logout and sign back in with a different profile when you "+2" your own comment?

31-Jul-19
Slicer, as I told you before under your old Neverbait moniker, I planted food plots on my really crappy dirt in the UP because nobody around me has any. My goal is to draw all the deer to my land because I am the only good food source around. I love how that has worked. It really does change though right before gun season when all the locals drop corn. My plots don't win over corn. What is cool too is that last year, I started getting turkeys on my land due to all the openings (TSI) I've created and the plots. Hell, I got all kinds of new critters. It is awesome to me and my son. FTR, I have yet to kill a deer in the 4 years I have hunted there but that is by choice. My son has done well. I have really enjoyed food plotting and seeing all the deer benefiting from it.

31-Jul-19
Tweed, Slicer and Jake have both been giving themselves a lot of +1s lately (or +2s...) Slicer likes to try to push everyone's buttons but then claims that he believes all hunters need to stick together.....

31-Jul-19
A start would be to ban people with more than one log in account.

A&O with a cowardly bullshit move and fake log in would be a good start.

31-Jul-19
DT... +1. You should have to have your real name to post on here.

31-Jul-19
"I cannot comment on this until Oct 28th . At that time I can explain what went down."

You paid the fine which implies guilt and the case was closed on 1-7-19. There is no reason to wait until Oct 28th! But, I did put it on my phone calendar and will start a thread on Oct 27th in anticipation of the facts. That is actually a very good time because a lot more people are on here at that time of year and we can try to piece together this very complex issue.

31-Jul-19
"A&O with a cowardly bullshit move and fake log in would be a good start."

What is wrong with reacting to a persons posts? They just don't jive with the facts. For example his county was no bait last year. He says "We had a statewide ban on baiting . We had great hunting that year. The Deer we're up & feeding earlier every day ." Huh? Then why bait?

No Drop Tine I think you are the coward for ignoring the facts;^)

31-Jul-19
It’s not a complex issue. You are literally the only person that cares...

31-Jul-19
"It’s not a complex issue. You are literally the only person that cares..."

So illegal activity in the hunting world is Okay? Reggiezpop you are the reason for the decline in hunting morals.

31-Jul-19
Says the guy putting someone on blast hiding behind a cloak of anonymity...

31-Jul-19

31-Jul-19
arent ruger and ron kulas buddies? didn't kulas get pinched for baiting too?

01-Aug-19
I personally don't like any of the easy button tools, some folks just prefer the challenge and have adopted the necessary skills to accomplish their goals.

Slicer/Neverbait, just curious, do you wear camo or a loin cloth when you hunt? Do you shower before hunts? Wouldn't camo and scent control make hunting easier? Do you only stalk and hunt on the ground?

You know I have never judged anyone based on if they shoot trad, a compound, or an xbow. I have admitted that I am a hunter but not an archer because I shoot a compound. But, I love food plotting and actually, it has nothing to do with making things easy. I view it on a macro level versus dumping corn which is a micro level to me. Thankfully, we all are entitled to our own opinions. People hunt for different reasons and it does not need to be a one size fits all mentality.

01-Aug-19
Some things never change On this site. Out of all that was said. I picked up on SLICER crediting himself with a "X2" How funny is that? Haha!!!! What a troll.. He reminds me of NeverBait.

01-Aug-19
Slicer is neverbait. Easy to tell due to the simpleness of his posts. Because he has no values or standards that remain constant, I’d guess him to be an anti, just here attempting to create conflict. Someone give him a square peg/round hole game so he can amuse himself some other way.

01-Aug-19
When's the season start again?

01-Aug-19
It doesn’t matter I don’t think most of these guys actually hunt.

01-Aug-19
"arent ruger and ron kulas buddies? didn't kulas get pinched for baiting too?"

Yes they are buddies I sure hope Ruger does not do a 3 page response about how his dad was going to die so he baited for him. Something about those Wisconsin Bowhunters asso guys I just can't put my finger on it. I am also calling the Oct 28 thing bull s___.

01-Aug-19
Slicerbait, you still illegally putting out pumpkins for deer?

01-Aug-19
where is neverbait ? i miss him.

01-Aug-19
Landino and radishes.

02-Aug-19
You never answered the question I posed to you Slicer. I'm just curious on the easy way thing you often refer to --> Do you wear camo or a loin cloth when you hunt? Do you shower before hunts? Wouldn't camo and scent control make hunting easier? Do you only stalk and hunt on the ground?

02-Aug-19
"Good to see my beans have started to sprout, thanks guys for the help!! "

Good to hear, I hope you have some success on your food plots. Food plotting is fun to do and can easily become addictive once you see the results. I'd be lying though if I were to say food plotting doesn't make killing deer much easier. I'd also be lying if I were to say I'd continue doing it if I and others that hunt my land for some reason were to stop deer hunting. Yes it benefits other wildlife, but IMO the majority of the people that plant food plots do it primarily to make it easier to kill deer. Exactly the same reason that some people use crossbows and high-tech compounds to kill deer.

02-Aug-19
Common sense tells most of us that the weapon should be specific to the season. If not, we could lump all weapons into 1 season. Yes scent, camo, calls, plots, etc helps improve our odds but archery season should be what it was for decades, with a bow and arrow. Our beans and corn look great! If plots were banned we would have the farmer who rents our land leave a few acres.

02-Aug-19
Mr Bones+1. Common sense is not all too common around here.

02-Aug-19
The weapon is specific to the season, crossbows are used during the crossbow season. The archery season is still the archery season, like it has been for decades. I wouldn't lose any sleep worrying that crossbows and crossbow users will invade the archery season, because again, crossbows have a separate season.

04-Aug-19

Put our food plot in Saturday when the boy came up to give me a hand. Our plot by Casanovia is looking good. We put that in two weeks ago.

06-Aug-19
Lookin good DT.

08-Aug-19

I see some green sprouting.

09-Aug-19
Looking good Drop Tine. Due to an illness in my family, I have not been to camp in 2 months. My son and I are heading there tomorrow. I am way behind on my plots. I would have put my brassicas in the ground in July. My plots need to be sprayed too. It will be all done this weekend even though there is no rain in the immediate forecast and it'll be what it'll be this year for us. Sometimes life gets in the way. I'm hoping my spring plots did OK. I know my clover plots were doing very well. I have a feeling I may have lost some of the trees I planted this spring due to the lack of rain in my area.

09-Aug-19
Anything better than nothing happy. I too was unable to get out there as often as I wanted this year. Perennial was doing well, but was WAY overgrown! It should have been mowed at least twice already.

I changed up my plan a bit, I was going to do brassicas, but do to my lack of attendance, there was no way I could fit it in. Gly on the field, and will do cereals instead in a few weeks. Never done cereals before, so will be a good test. Glass half full situation. Will also throw in some Mammoth red for next spring.

12-Aug-19
FA, I had one really overgrown plot that I had wanted to Gly down this summer. I spread my fall mix and threw the brassicas in for good measure. I then cut it with a brush cutter (no mower), rolled it with my ATV and weighted down ice sled, and sprayed it with Gly/AMS heavily. I need a good rain and I think I'll have something decent. My clover plots looked really good and my other new one (seen in the trad thread) was weed/grass free but the deer did not let it grow. I did lose 1-2 new apple trees due to lack of watering.

12-Aug-19

Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
Can anybody help identify this? Popped up in an old clover plot this year.

13-Aug-19
Looks like curly dock to me.

14-Aug-19
I've got a clover plot that is in real good shape, but it needs to be mowed more than the internet claims it does.

I have a small cereal plot I'll put in around Labor day in hopes of some fresh growth right around the opener.

17-Aug-19

Put in the ground 14 days ago. Grandpa Rays Fall Draw and a light mix of Frosty Delight mixed in.

17-Aug-19
Looks good DT.

17-Aug-19
DT why pay 3 times as much for seed you can get at your local feed store? Was it the marketing that pulled you in?

17-Aug-19
Nope its the full service I get from John at Grandpa Rays. I send in my soil samples and he gives me the recommendations needed right to the pound for lime and fertilizer. During working hours I can message him and in most cases within an hour I will have an answer. In all cases by the end of the day.

To me the service after the sale is worth a few extra dollars that I pay for fresh seed that has germination rates higher than most buck on the bag brands.

17-Aug-19
Well said, Drop. Nothing but great things from Grandpa Rays regarding service, seed and an unbelievable amount of knowledge.

18-Aug-19
I buy my clover, radishes, and turnips from Welters. I buy pure seed with no fillers like you get with buck on the bag blends. Great prices and service. If I want to mix seeds I do so after recieving the seed. Save alot of $$.

18-Aug-19
GRO has been great. That said, I've also got really good seed and some better bargains when buying larger amounts from Hancock Seeds and Outsidepride.

19-Aug-19

FrigidArrows's embedded Photo
This weekend could have not worked out any better. Saw the only potential for rain coming Saturday for the following 7 days, so I ended up taking Friday off work to buzz up and get the planting done prior.

Ended up putting in W. Rye, Oats, Peas, Clover, GFR, 150lbs of fert.(per soil sample), and watched the radar like a hawk for 24 hours. Ended up being a pretty heavy rainfall that evening, so the next concern was how much washed away. Stopped back in on the way home the following day, and was very happy with the way it looked, should be a great fall plot.

I planted about 10 days early, as our property is quite a ways north.

29-Aug-19

CaptMike's embedded Photo
CaptMike's embedded Photo
Where there is a will, there is a way. I watched in amazement as these two guys pushed and pulled this single bottom plow, in order to get their garden ready for planting.

30-Aug-19

Looking good

30-Aug-19

Novice's embedded Photo
Novice's embedded Photo
Novice's embedded Photo
Novice's embedded Photo
After 11 days. Oats, rye, wheat, and clover. Very pleased so far, especially considering the lack of rain there recently. Timed it just right as rain came the next day after planting.

30-Aug-19
Nice looks plots! Id love to have a drill.

30-Aug-19
Looks good guys. I'm heading back up next weekend to see how mine look. The lack of rain up there has me worried. It didn't rain for 9 days after my fall planting.

30-Aug-19
In Lincoln county we’ve been getting timely rain. Could use some warmer nights though.

01-Sep-19

Novice's embedded Photo
Novice's embedded Photo
Here's another that was done (pretty much 1/2 assed actually) 2 weeks ago. Pleasantly surprised. Don't even remember what we planted either. Happy it's coming up, though.

01-Sep-19
Novice, nice start with that plot. Very nice to know there are so many hunters who go the extra mile to help our wildlife.

01-Sep-19

bowhuntndoug's embedded Photo
bowhuntndoug's embedded Photo
Have permission on this farm but try to stay out until October 25 but owner wants some does removed. He put in a corn plot that wasn’t doing great. So went in with brassicas, peas, oats, and rye grain with fertilizer and urea. Spread it 30 yards all the way around the blind in the corn and in the open space where corn didn’t grow above the blind. It grew in the corn between the rows and in really doing well above the blind. Just got heavy rain within a day or two of planting. There is some grass that grew up but overall I feel it is doing great. The deer ate the peas and oats as fast as came up but the rye and brassicas are doing really well. Hopefully we can take a few does out of this blind and not disrupt the stands in the woods.

01-Sep-19
Agree with CaptMike.

01-Sep-19
+1 Mike. I haven't even shot any deer on my land of 5 years now (by choice) but I thoroughly enjoy the land improvements. It has cost me oodles of $$$ and every penny has been worth it.

01-Sep-19
Same here Happy, my wife took the first deer off our property last fall since I took one 5 seasons ago. With any luck she’ll get another this fall.

I enjoy the work and getting photos and seeing the critters enjoying it also.

02-Sep-19
Guys can you help me out. What is the latest you plant food plots and what would you recommend ?? friend had a bunch of logging done and asked if I would help him out.

02-Sep-19
bm69, IMHO, it is pretty late in WI to get a new plot planted except for winter rye. Of course, that depends on north vs south and what kind of fall we get weather wise. Most people I know have their fall plots done by Labor Day. Winter rye will germinate when it gets cold (as cold as 25 degrees I believe) whereas oats won't (they die at 1st frost), clover won't grow much at this time but would sprout well come spring, and it is way too late for brassicas. I'm sure others might have different thoughts than me though.

02-Sep-19
Thank you happy.

02-Sep-19
I planted some Grandpa Rays Fall Draw at the end of August last fall and while it didn’t mature it still grew and was a good attraction. As happy said it’s all dependent on soil and air temps. Also all depending on soil PH. A soil sample would 3 to 5 days to get back and further delay planting. I would get some of that throw and grow stuff it’s high in Rye but has brassicas mixed in also. If they grow great! If they don’t the rye at least will.

02-Sep-19
Thank you Drop Tine. Packing for musky trip and got asked to help a friend out. Will probably get some winter rye

02-Sep-19
I would get some of that throw and grow stuff it’s high in Rye but has brassicas

Just be very careful that the rye is the grain and not rye grass seed. Many of those throw-n-grow mixes have lots of rye grass in them. You want rye grain.

03-Sep-19
Not an issue about worrying, more just about caring. But heck slicerbait, rye should be one of your favorites, if not potatoes. Lol!

03-Sep-19
Thanks again happy, Drop Tine and Capt Mike. Your input is appreciated.

03-Sep-19

WR, Oats, Peas, and GFR coming up good after 2 weeks. Also can see the start of the clover sprouting intended for next spring.

This is my first time planting GFR, and I can attest that it literally will sprout anywhere. There were some places it was spread to on the edge of the plot that were complete hard packed thanks to the soaking rain we got after tillage. And it was the only thing to take root in that location. Deer do eat it, but primary benefit is soil correction and aeration.

03-Sep-19
Planted spike forage buck oats a few weeks back and they're about 5 inches tall, i've got pictures of deer in my plot but not feeding on the oats, i've looked all over and not even nibbles, i live in southeastern wi and i'm just wondering why these deer aren't interested? Also what minerals do yall use? i threw some lucky buck on a rotten stump ad these deer don't seem interested in it either, if anyone has any answers please let me know, thanks

03-Sep-19
They will eat the oats. May need a chance to get used to them. As for minerals, I believe they are considered bait, so I’m not able use them where I have plots.

03-Sep-19
ok thanks reggie

04-Sep-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
I planted this August 3rd. Actually wish I would have waited until now.

04-Sep-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo

04-Sep-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo

04-Sep-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo

04-Sep-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo

04-Sep-19
Good stuff Trapper! I'm excited to see how mine look this weekend. It didn't rain for 9 days after I planted so I am worried. I am sure the deer will still be in my clover plots though but that will change when they start craving more carbs. I am hoping my brassicas took off as well as my oats which they will mow down. I am sure the rye is growing - if the birds did not get all the seed.

04-Sep-19
Glad to see so many hunters improving habitat for wildlife. Keep up the good work, and best of luck to all of you this fall.

05-Sep-19
As if they had the time for a critter that is now mostly considered vermin due to CWD and population issues

05-Sep-19
Slicerbait hittin' the bottle a little early today. Slice, do the right thing. Admit you have a problem and call AA. They want to help but can only do so if you ask for it.

05-Sep-19
" From: Slicer 05-Sep-19 DNR answer to minerals that may be left after the season is over.

Under the deer baiting and feeding rules, when the season for hunting deer is closed and no one will be hunting over the material that was placed for deer, the material would then be considered feed (being used for nonhunting purposes). It is not legal to place out feed material at any time that will be used for supplemental feeding purposes unless it is within 50 yards of any owner occupied residence or business open to the public and does not exceed 2 gallons. Therefore, any material that may be used to attract deer which is not within 50 yards of a owner occupied residence or business open to the public, may not be placed or left out where it is accessible to deer. Doing so would be a violation of the deer feeding rules (Penalty $329). If left out until the next deer season and you began to hunt over it again, you would then also be in violation for hunting over bait material that was placed out prior to the Friday before that current deer hunting season. (Penalty $535) "

First you don't seem to know if he was withing the feeding distance of his house.

Second, can you link us with a law/code that says you have to clean up a site the day after hunting season? what would be the point?

05-Sep-19
Why, because some fool said to?

05-Sep-19
Neverslice, that is the biggest load of crap spewed here in a long time! Even for you that’s down right hilarious!

05-Sep-19
Ooooooooooooooo I missed this one, it got sliced in between stuff ...

" From: Slicer 05-Sep-19

Door

1.29 million dollars worth of time in the form of fines in the last 10 years for baiting violations. "

What does that have to do with food plots? hard to imagine a way to violate with a plot. Clearly you do not posses even the slightest clue.

But thanks for playing. sorry, but there is no consolation prize for losers.

06-Sep-19
I find it really weird that people enjoy wasting their own time posting nothing but waste.

06-Sep-19

Still have several fawns with spots yet.
Still have several fawns with spots yet.
Things are growing good. This is my best results so far.

08-Sep-19

Drop Tine, that looks awesome!

One of my plots was an abysmal failure. Being away from camp for 2 months due to 3 deaths in the family and then not getting rain for 9 days after spraying and planting did me in. I needed to kill the rye in early July and was too late to the game. The deer are nibbling on what is coming up. All of my other plots are doing well and holding lots of deer.

08-Sep-19

Thanks happy I’m not sure how these Plots are a bad thing??

08-Sep-19
Nice work guys!

11-Sep-19

How many have enrolled their land in mfl and use the tax savings to put in food plots?

Sound like a good strategy. "

Now that is an interesting idea. Can you lay that out for us how the details would pan out? Thanks in advance!

11-Sep-19
Grittyslicerbait has nothing. No plan, no details, just a lot of pent up jealousy and a bottle of cheap liquor. Lol!

12-Sep-19
With the wet weather and the 10 day forecast, I will be broadcasting some winter Rye in a plot this Saturday Sept14th. I will update the pictures of it in 2 weeks to show the growth rate. Good Luck this weekend to all.

12-Sep-19
My food plot looks good but the blind that I put in the corn is destroyed. With all the rain and wind it got wet and then shredded. Most of the rods broke as well. I want to get blinds out in August so deer get accustomed to them but every other year it seems like I loose a blind or two.

Thinking about how to build a blind on a small trailer out of wood so it can take rain and wind.

Anyone know if tires need to be removed. I’m hopeful that I can just unhook it and leave it without blocking it up or removing tires.

Good offseason project.

12-Sep-19
“How many have enrolled their land in mfl and use the tax savings to put in food plots?”

I have not. My property is an old farmstead that’s being reclaimed. The trees that I do have I want to keep. The last two years I have spent clearing up storm damaged trees that were lost. Mostly old maples.

I have several brush piles that I was going to burn last winter but by having them my rabbit population has exploded and I’ve always loved rabbit hunting with my bow.

12-Sep-19
Slicer doesnt hunt people. Clearly an anti.

12-Sep-19
1 thread, drama free, would be nice.............

12-Sep-19
Anti’s plant trolls like slicerbait on many different sites. Like most liberals, he knows not what he speaks of.

12-Sep-19
Slicer is ruining every thread he touches but I believe that is his goal on Bowsite. Here's hoping the moderators will help all of us out.

15-Sep-19

They showed up but no shots taken.

15-Sep-19
Nice! I did not go out this weekend but my buddy who was out to our property said that everything is coming up well. He did say the deer are really working the beans over.

15-Sep-19
Capt- Beans by me are starting to yellow. Have you noticed this is when they slow down with the beans?

15-Sep-19

Well poop!

Was planning at hunting the home front this afternoon. Went grocery shopping wit da wife and come home and walk into the living room while looking out the window and there 20 yards from the house is a doe and yearling bedded down. They eventually got up drank some water and made their way up to the food plot leaving me stuck in the house.

Well played doe, well played!

16-Sep-19
Reggie, I do think the deer come to the beans a little less frequently when they yellow. That may be due to moisture, tenderness or sugar levels in the beans changing but it might also be due to other food sources becoming available. They don’t focus on any one food source entirely but they most certainly come back to them with a vengeance later in the season.

16-Sep-19
Why

16-Sep-19
More ignorance from the drunken, anti slicerbait.

23-Sep-19

Novice's embedded Photo
Novice's embedded Photo
Novice's embedded Photo
Novice's embedded Photo
Updated pic of plot planted 8/17

24-Sep-19
Nice plot Novice! How awesome that some of us are willing to go the extra mile for our wildlife.

25-Sep-19
Looks great novice! What does your mix consist of?

25-Sep-19
Thanks guys. It's oats, rye, wheat and clover. Sat near it for the first time Monday afternoon. Watched 6 deer enjoy the bounty. Fun to watch and very rewarding.

25-Sep-19
I’m no farmer, will any of those last through a frost?

25-Sep-19
Grains last even a freeze. Depending on the frost some things (not just his list) make if well into December or beyond. It is amazing what the deer eat in Feb and beyond.

25-Sep-19
Grittyslicerbait, you should try it, you have an endless supply of fertilizer. Lol!

26-Sep-19
Rye will grow until temps reach 32 degrees, but even when it stops growing, it stays green all winter long. Awesome, hardy grain that will be mowed to the ground come spring.

01-Oct-19
did some scouting on my property to discover the farmer north of me planted 60 acres of the exact same greens i did, little disappointed

01-Oct-19
Don't be too disappointed Matthews, Deer are more apt to hit a 1/2 acre plot during shooting hours than a 6o acre plot. I'm 200 yards from a 60 acre bean field and a 4o acre corn field.

01-Oct-19
Matthews, are you saying he planted 60 acres of forage oats?

01-Oct-19
i think Slicer is the whistle blower.

01-Oct-19
I’m pretty sure he has blown some whistles!

02-Oct-19
not forage oats,idk what kind of oats but theyre seeding out @reggiezpop

02-Oct-19
Good. They will like your oats better

02-Oct-19
good,im hoping so @reggie

02-Oct-19

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
I realize we have had perfect weather for foodplotting this fall, warm and wet. See the Winter Rye after 7 days. Seed was broadcast September 13th and picture was taken September 20th. Approximately 4-5" growth. Note: about 75% germination rate.

02-Oct-19

Mathews's embedded Photo
Mathews's embedded Photo
well with 4inches of rain my food plot is now under a foot of water, never wouldve thought that'd happen, in just wondering once the water is all gone will my plot recover?

02-Oct-19
sorry i'm just a 17 year old trying to improve my deer herd

02-Oct-19
Haha slicer bet you feel about 2 inches tall for picking on the chap!

Matthews look at the bright side now you have food and water in one:)

I’m sure someone who actually knows something about food plots will chime in and help out. Good luck this rain is getting really old lately.

02-Oct-19
Mathews, congrats on your efforts. I am not really qualified to tell you what that water will do to the plants but I would guess a lot will depend on how long it is under water. Maybe slicer, the human fertilizer will walk around your plot. With all he drops, it might be just the ticket.

02-Oct-19

Mathews's embedded Photo
i guess he don't mind the water though
Mathews's embedded Photo
i guess he don't mind the water though
thanks guys, i'm just very new to this stuff and have a lot of questions

02-Oct-19
Looks like a dandy! Good luck hopefully you can get a closer look at him soon;)

03-Oct-19
Mathews, it’s all dependent on how long it’s under water. If it recedes quickly it should be alright with minimal loss. Can you dig a trench on the lower side to drain it off or away from the plot?

Learning to amend the soil and get it to grow to it’s full potential and seeing wildlife benefit from your work is knowledge gained and rewarding in itself.

Just ignore the dick head that needs to post his drivel on every thread and turn the place into a chit show.

03-Oct-19
Matthews, It depends on what you have planted. Think of a persons flooded lawn, it can withstand quite a bit of standing water. My son has a plot that gets flooded often and it seems like after 10 days it starts to fail. Besides, there are many other ways to hunt than over plots. Even though I have 5-6 plots, I rarely am within 75 yards of them as I'm targeting bucks. Foodplots for me is in the enjoyment of being in the woods as much as I can and providing food into the winter months and early spring. Good luck.

03-Oct-19
Slicer, you are an asshole.

03-Oct-19
He knows he is. Hes looking for someone to trigger. Dont take the bait! With the other ones either. Please lol

03-Oct-19
Noc, I agree but Mathews stated he is 17 years old. This idiot has absolutely no sense of decency or value. He is very lucky to have the anonymity of the Internet. He is one scummy SOB.

04-Oct-19
what illegal bait?

04-Oct-19
My buddy sat near the oats, wheat, clover and rye plot last night. Saw 10 deer, including 2 small bucks sparring. Missed a doe unfortunately. A great outing, nonetheless and another reward for some effort. This is a great thread. Just ignore the detractors. If you don't know who they are , just look at a bunch of threads. Easy to figure out.

04-Oct-19
Mathews, we all need to take Nocturnal's advice and ignore this goof. He makes these things up in an attempt to attract attention. We will all be better off by ignoring him.

04-Oct-19
yeah i know, im here to learn about hunting and techniques but im only learning how to treat people badly, and not respect other people and their hunting ways @slicer

• Sitka Gear