Crusader dad 31-May-19
RutnStrut 31-May-19
Franklin 31-May-19
Hoot 31-May-19
Tweed 31-May-19
Tweed 31-May-19
Chief2 31-May-19
23-May-19
Is it just Madison & Beloit or is it statewide? Really sick of it $2-$5 doesn’t seem to be enough for the Beloit scammers. Got another “ran out of gas” story tonight in pouring rain when I got a turkey in the truck to deal with. Last time it was a guy who needed money for a universal belt. Downtown Madison streets full of homeless. I just come here to turkey hunt not support the countryside. Seems to be a higher than normal amount of free money entitlement attitude around here. Just glad I just traded all my Chicago & Milwaukee work area for Iowa & Minnesota, for the same reason. I was just curious about how the liberal climate stacks up in Beloit or Wisconsin in general.

23-May-19
Thought the new governor was gonna make this the land of milk and honey. Thier all over in the fox valley. One woman is thier everyday and has a spot wore in the grass. I would think Thiers time better spent. My 19 year old got his first job outside of our business yesterday. He went to ten different businesses-all hiring- on Sunday and he’s now on the payroll with all the other places begging him to come for interviews. The difference in him? He has want. He wants to work. He wants to pay for his school. He wants to get better and be a productive part of society. Too many people grow up in a never ending ass wiping show and never are made to anything hard. And when they hit some adversity, they think they need a handout. Drives me nuts too

23-May-19
Its all over the place and it doesn't seem that the political affiliation of any administration has an effect on it.

23-May-19
Must be profitable or they wouldn’t be doing it.

Ugly side of free market Capitalism.

23-May-19
DON'T EVER GIVE MONEY TO A PANDHANDLER! EVER!!

Every dollar you give them goes directly for heroin, or crack or booze.

Roll up your window or politely decline. All the SOB stories about running out of gas are all BS.

It's not profitable, it feeds an addiction. It's not the ugly side a free market capitalism it's the failed mental health system that puts the mentally ill right back onto your streets.

23-May-19
Money for gas, I saw that for the first time a month ago in Black River. That problem is going to get bigger and bigger as those type of people have the most kids.

23-May-19
Donations enable irresponsibility and encourage laziness. Stop it!

23-May-19
Offer 'em a job and see how fast they move on to the car behind you! Works every time!

23-May-19
Not that I disagree with the views stated but I thought this was a bowhunting forum.

23-May-19
Tomas, It’s also a Wisconsin forum and I was on my annual turkey hunting trip bringing nonresident dollars to your state’s tourism industry. I thought it was relevant topic and it was a sincere inquiry. I was just curious about how the liberal climate stacks up in Beloit or Wisconsin in general. Such events tarnish my hunting trip enjoyment and I have not experienced these at my other destinations.

23-May-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Was a dry day but he managed to find a swamp to run off into.
Zim's embedded Photo
Was a dry day but he managed to find a swamp to run off into.
Zim's embedded Photo
GhostBlind is the answer for these late season older public land Toms who avoid decoys and pop-ups like the plague.
Zim's embedded Photo
GhostBlind is the answer for these late season older public land Toms who avoid decoys and pop-ups like the plague.
At least I did get a Tom. But this guy harassed me at a bad time while I was trying to care for the meat, in the pouring rain. And he was driving a Hummer. But it also pisses me off since I have an actual work ethic. Never been unemployed since age 12, 47 years ago.

23-May-19
Look at every major city in America, especially the west coast. They are degrading at a rapid rate. Homelessness is out of control, and liberal politicians are allowing special treatment.

In some cities they allow homeless camping or squating on any public property. That includes sidewalks, parks and even cemetaries. Imagine going to a cemetary to visit a loved one and finding some bums camping on your loved ones grave.

In New Mexico a little girl playing baseball in a little league type of game and slid into 2nd base and got stuck by a discarded hypodermic needle from a drug user. The parents are now "walking" the fields before games and they are finding as many as 18 hypos per walk.

This IS hunting related....as it`s a degradation of our society and progressive liberal agendas are enabling it. Liberalism is huntings biggest enemy.

23-May-19
Nice bird, glad you were successful.

23-May-19
Nice bird Zim, but your original post is a political rant no matter how you dress it up. However your not the first.

23-May-19

Per48R's Link
Come on guys there just entrepreneurial . Check out the link.

23-May-19
Tomas, You can have your opinion, but that is all it is. Others think my post is hunting related. So we will agree to disagree. Can you answer the question?

23-May-19
Its a huge problem. Just want a free ride in life and not work for anything. Have a walk down State street in Madison and then walk around the capital. Homeless people everywhere. And harassing you for money. Its disgusting what is happening. 99% of the time the money they want is for drugs and alcohol.

23-May-19
I have traveled extensively all across the US for 50 years, including hunting trips to 8 Western states, 5 Midwest states, and one Eastern in the last 30. Multiple times, a big sample size. I did not have any encounters in any of the other states. I never would have thought Wisconsin would stand out from the others to this degree.

23-May-19
Probably just the place you drove through I don't think its representative of the whole state

23-May-19
Funny coming from a guy from Illinois.

23-May-19
OMG what has become of our society? This thread has made me sick to my stomach. So all the homeless people are drug addicts, alcoholics, losers, actually panhandling has made them all quite wealthy? 99% of the time the money we give them goes to drugs and alcohol? Really? You guys would fit in great here in Waunakee, the city that has done a great job of keeping "those types" out.

Take off your rose colored Ray Bans once and get out and talk to some of these folks. Oh wait, I'll bet they are all liars. Yeah, that's right, it's defiantly a life they choose to live and really love it.

Now, be sure and attack me for being some sort of Liberal Democrat that has no clue what he is talking about and lives in La La Land. Have at it! BC

23-May-19
You guys are liars too! I have walked around the Capital and State Street more than any of you. I have NEVER been harassed for money or anything else. If you consider being asked for money harassed, then call it what you want, you don't know what harassment is.

Downtown Madison streets are full of homeless people? Really? Madison Georgia could be I don't know, but not Madison Wisconsin - seriously?

Sorry to say, I just lost some respect for some folks on this site! So sad! BC

23-May-19
We have it in Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls. It is pretty much everywhere.

23-May-19
BC / James,

I deal with the homeless / mentally ill / pandhandlers everyday at work.

Nobody here called panhandlers losers. Most are dealing with some form of mental illness that they self medicate with malt liquor, crack or heroin.

I am not wearing Rose colored glasses. I have dealt with them with compassion for the last 20 years.

But to give money to a panhandler is only feeding an addiction. Don't fall for the sob stories. A little digging exposing them soon enough.

If you really want to help support your local rescue mission.

23-May-19
bow crazy - do you shoot a x-gun?

23-May-19
Pasquinell, a Mathews Z7, I shoot Bear and Martin recurves too. When it comes to hunting, conservation, the environment, I'm the real deal. I also have compassion for those that are dealing with things that I can't fully comprehend.

Kevin, I won't fall for the sob stories. I see it first hand as well. Not as close as you do, but I do. Most homeless do not have addiction issues. Many do, but most don't. Now, maybe the ones you deal with do, but most don't. Many do have mental illness, of course.

Some more lies from above - "Downtown Madison streets full of homeless." Really, full? How about this lie from above, Wisconsin is worse than any other state? Really? Come on, worse than New Orleans, Detroit, Las Vegas, the list goes on. I think we have a guy with a personal dislike of Wisconsin or the people that live in Wisconsin.

I hope none of you ever have a friend or family member that ends up homeless. I pray you don't. BC

23-May-19
Enjoy Zim’s complaining boys! He’s been doing that on the Illinois thread for a while. Glad you know what the Illinois threads have been dealing with. Always a complaint with Zim.

23-May-19
I cut out the middle man and just buy them beer and beef sticks.

23-May-19
Not sure a guy on a hunting trip will travel through "states" like New Orleans, Detroit or Las Vegas.

The guy was on a hunting trip and posted about an negative experience he had. No need to get your banana sling in a wad. Quit taking people`s posts so personally.

23-May-19
Sorry...this thread reminded me of the last minute or so of this song

24-May-19
Tweed, I am from Indiana not Illinois. Bought a home this past March. But did live in IL for 12 years for job. I've never been panhandled in Illinois outside of Chicago. And that includes a massive sample size as I travel statewide for my job, on top of annual hunting trips. Chicago, as I posted earlier, is chock full of them. And as I also mentioned, I was thrilled to trade it for Iowa last month. Either way, I'm not criticizing WI. I only made an observation and was asking a question. The encounters I had in Beloit were clearly not mentally ill people. They were panhandling pros. Although I did also observe a bum with a sign in the Walmart parking lot yesterday.

Enjoy awh302's complaining boys! He’s been doing that on the Illinois thread for a while. Glad you know what the Illinois threads have been dealing with. Always a complaint with liberal kingpin awh302.

This stuff affects tourism. As much as I hate NYC, my last visit there I noticed they saw this was hurting their tourism so they no longer tolerate it around the major tourist attractions. I even witnessed three cops materialize on a guy who was bumming for a subway ride.

Beloit & Madison are not big cities like Detroit, Chicago, NYC etc. I don't take hunting trips to big cities. I would not expect panhandling to be so prevalent there. So why is it? Does anyone know?

24-May-19
Have none of you heard the country song “what if she’s an angel?” You don’t have any idea what happened in a homeless persons life that caused them to get to that point. To come on a public forum and talk shit about someone else says a lot about the person doing the talking.

My son is a broke college student at uw Milwaukee. He never has cash but uses his student food card to buy homeless people food sometimes. The tears, laughter and joy shared was well worth him running out of money on the card a full month before school ended. Be like my son, not some judgey ahole. You never know what a small bit of kindness can do for somebody who’s struggling.

24-May-19
"Sorry to say, I just lost some respect for some folks on this site! So sad! BC"

Oh no. How will I sleep tonight?

24-May-19
I have a client that was a longtime panhandler, never did drugs or etoh. Would make between $400-600 on a weekend. His social worker would have to track him down for not cashing in his SSI checks. He is low IQ with physical disabilities and has been a transit, laborer most of his life. Was hit in back of the head with a ball bat and robbed and ended up in guardianship care and still hustle for change. Reminds me of Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade, but is harmless and a survivalist. Be careful how one stereotype a person, there are some that have been caught in a bad situ and it is a means to survive, others not so much.

24-May-19
Good point South Farm, you and etal will all sleep just fine tonight. Others, unfortunately won't.

Good to see there is some support on this site for the less fortunate. BC

24-May-19
Nobody's knocking the "less fortunate"...and define "less fortunate". Is it being too lazy to get a real job? Is it becoming a public nuisance because it's tax free? Is it resorting to panhandling because you were too stupid to realize student loans eventually come due? Is it doing drugs and making other poor life decisions that brought you to standing on a corner? And while we're at it, just where in the hell do these "less fortunates" find the all black magic markers for their cardboard signs, anyways?!? I've always wondered that..

24-May-19

Grunter's Link
This is Madison

24-May-19
"Have none of you heard the country song “what if she’s an angel?” You don’t have any idea what happened in a homeless persons life that caused them to get to that point. To come on a public forum and talk shit about someone else says a lot about the person doing the talking. My son is a broke college student at uw Milwaukee. He never has cash but uses his student food card to buy homeless people food sometimes. The tears, laughter and joy shared was well worth him running out of money on the card a full month before school ended. Be like my son, not some judgey ahole. You never know what a small bit of kindness can do for somebody who’s struggling."

Dude, You are not reading what I'm typing. Go back and read. The guy Wednesday was not homeless! He even told me he had a job at a plant, and HE WAS DRIVING AN H2 HUMMER IN PERFECT CONDITION. You or your son know a lot of homeless people driving Hummers? Ask your son. You are way off base.

24-May-19
Where did you say the guy had a job at the plant?

Oh boy.....

24-May-19
Tweed, For all we know he was lying. You don’t know. I don’t know. Nobody knows but him. So why emphasize? What I do know is he was riding in an H2 Hummer his “wife” was driving. That is a fact. So what up?

25-May-19
It`s a known fact that most homeless people have other outstanding issues beside money. They usually have a mental problem, physical condition or addiction.

It`s also a known fact that most homeless people do not panhandle or beg. They are too busy being homeless and trying to survive.

It`s also a known fact that most panhandlers are scammers. There is a big difference between those that are truly in need and those that are taking advantage of our sympathies.

25-May-19
Franklin - You are right on.

25-May-19
Only a small part of things to come... For it is written.

25-May-19
"Have none of you heard the country song “what if she’s an angel?”

No, I don't listen to sh!TTY county music.

Sorry to hear your son got scammed out of his lunch money.

25-May-19
What is written?

26-May-19
Wait for it........Zim will start ranting about what's wrong with your state.

26-May-19
I deal with these folks on a fairly daily basis due to my line of work and many times, it IS my work!

I can see how it is easy to become callous and uncaring of others. For some, it simply human nature to react in such a way. Honestly, it's not their fault. They don't know any better. Not being sarcastic here at all.

If you want to observe a real "spin" on life - you should be lucky enuf to work in a County Jail. Wanna meet some troubled folks?

The nice thing about Jail is that these folks are away from substance abuse, being treated for mental illness and away from bad influences that most times lead them astray!

One really gets a "birds eye" view of what some folks are going through.

As I age, I Thank the Lord that I have been lucky enough to not have been a recipient of a mental health issue or an addiction or just as worse low self esteem and poor social abilities.

There are many reasons folks act the way they do. Some folks are just plain evil, rotten and should never see the light of day. Many however do need help.

I'm just "Thanking" God, I'm not one, because many times the disease, mental health or addiction....chooses them. They lack life skills, finances or just good common sense...

I'd like to think that there is some good in almost everyone, "almost". Some evil people live among us and don't lose sight of that!

When I was younger I am ashamed to say I was not as "open minded".

Age teaches many lessons.

26-May-19
"Age teaches many lessons."

Very well stated BT. I also agree that most of the less fortunate are not trying to deceive people or actually bad people. Just people that have had bad luck or made a few bad decisions. My best bud who has many years in as a corrections officer at Oak Park Heights has opened my eyes to this. He says while there are many inmates that are truly bad, evil people. Most are pretty decent guys that have made poor decisions. Some or all of us could have been one of those bad decision makers at one point in our lives. There is no way we can know the path that took other people to the desperate situations they are in...

27-May-19
Again this thread is getting off base a bit. Anyone recall seeing the film Flim Flam Man starring George C. Scott & Kevin McHale? My encounters would be better described by the events of this film. These people were skilled in their trade. Their words and stories were planned out well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUPfgwCrtlE

Highlife........Don't be bitter about your taxes. Pony up and get them paid. JB is counting on you.

28-May-19
I guess if I made a living off these people I'd be a little more protective of their perceived plight. I totally see where you're coming from now Bloodtrail and I don't blame you for not wanting to bite the hand that feeds you.

28-May-19
South Farm -

It doesn't matter.

I could slam these folks all day long and then some...in fact till the cows come home - and guess what? I still have a job. I still draw a pay check!

Showing some understanding for what makes folks tick and why they do what they do should not be misconstrued being "protective of their perceived plight" It is what it is. That simple.

This could be anyone of us tomorrow. That's the real message here.

I'm not talking about substance abuse. I'm talking about mental health.

We have a crisis here in these United States and most folks don't pay any attention to it until it lands on their doorstep. A brother, Uncle, perhaps your spouse or maybe a daughter?

Most of us don't have to think too long or too hard and can look into our own families and see the transgression of mental health issues and even in some cases substance abuse. I know I have seen it.

So you see, I'll call a spade a spade. I never had a problem with that.

Many bad people afoot without a doubt. Criminal thinking clouds every decent thought.

Perhaps growing soft in my old age, but I try and look at the individual and often say, "For the grace of God I go"...

I've been lucky.

28-May-19
Bloodtrail you are grouping those that are in need with "panhandlers"....which is what the thread is about. Your bleeding heart is well placed for those truly in need.

We are talking panhandlers....people that go out everyday....sometimes in the exact same spot....and stand there and collect $$$$ based on our compassion. If they put half that energy and effort they could EASILY get a minimum pay job. They CHOOSE not to.

25% of these disenfranchised are in their situation to no fault of their own. The other 75% made choices that put them where they are at. The last thing they need are enablers.

29-May-19
Madison has the State Street homeless population, Milwaukee has the "tent cities", Denver (when I lived there from 96-98) had there panhandler problems as well. I wouldn't say they're everywhere in Madison, but the problem has definitely increased. Admittedly, if someone in a Hummer pulled up asking for a handout - I would think something not-on-the-level is up.

29-May-19
Here is what I think would really help, when you see a homeless person yell this at them, "Why don't you get a F&*K'n Job!" . I think all they need is a little tough love and all will be good. After all, the only thing keeping them from getting a job is the fact that they are lazy or don't want to pay for their student loans. I know that because someone posted that on Facebook just the other day.

Panhandlers driving Hummers must be on the rise, I saw 4 today just off State Street by the Capitol in Madison. All harassed me for gas money. Unbelievable, what a coincidence. BC

30-May-19
Franklin - And here I thought that I had the definition of "panhandler" wrong.

As I believed, "panhandler" had nothing to do with "panhandling" and doing so when your actually "well to do" and purporting you are NOT..... to take money from well meaning (caring) folks.

As you can see, "panhandling" by definition has nothing to do with that "scam".

These people can be defined and identified as "scammers", those that practice "panhandling" as a form to extort monies from people who believe they are in need. The "scammers" are people that "prey" on the good will of others. Nothing more, nothing less. Many scams these days Franklin, by the way don't answer any mail from Nigeria!!

pan·han·dle. .[?pan?han(d)l] NOUN panhandles (plural noun)

.panhandles (third person present) · panhandled (past tense) · panhandled (past participle) · panhandling (present participle) 1.beg in the street. "she went back to the streets to panhandle for money"

"25% of these disenfranchised are in their situation to no fault of their own. The other 75% made choices that put them where they are at. The last thing they need are enablers"

Interesting to see just where you get your Statistics?

If your suggesting I "enable" folks you couldn't be more wrong - I am simply making an observation based upon my many years of dealing with a multitude of individuals for over 35 years.

Like I have said, there are many evil, worthless individuals on this earth. I have meet my share and then some, but there are truly the downtrodden and those that through no fault of their own suffer.

Hoping you Franklin, don't find yourself or a close family member "there" someday. I Thank the good Lord and Greyhound everyday that so far, I've been blessed.

30-May-19
When you degrade a homeless person you have about a 10% chance of degrading a Vet. I prefer to not give money to a panhandler but if time allows I'll offer to buy them food or give them food if I have it on me. Some may not know what the word empathy means; I'd suggest looking it up.

Rather than dwell on how "awful", "lazy" or "annoying" "those" people are I'd rather reflect on how fortunate and lucky I am.

30-May-19
My brother and I walked into a McDonalds while on our way to a hunting trip. Some guy stopped us just outside the door and asked for money, claiming he was hungry. We both denied giving him any money but my brother did buy a couple hamburgers to give to him. When we saw him outside the building, we approached him and offered him the hamburgers. He told us to get f*!@ked. Things like this make it much harder to believe anyone asking for handouts.

30-May-19
Have to agree that there are various types of panhandlers/homeless/down-trodden etc, some there by design and some there by choice. Some looking for a hand up and some for a handout, . That said I never give money to a person on the street as I am unaware of what might happen to my investment. Will it be used wisely or to fuel an addiction, frankly I can't tell the difference ? For me I pick my charities very carefully and make almost all my contributions annually. That way I get the most for my investment.

So if you are standing in the median with a cardboard sign, or an eagle scout with a go fund me page asking for $$$ you both will get the same from me. Its called judgement and we all have it. As humans we are also judgmental. Its how you go about using both that defines you.

HF43

31-May-19
Capt, I've seen that before at a McDonald's. The guy had a sign saying to help him and he was hungry, but denied any food.

31-May-19
Capt, no doubt that happens and exist. There are bad people out there. I don't however think that a bad experience should open the doors to a broad brush approach to all those panhandling/homeless/ect..

I certainly don't want anti-hunters to think every hunter is a bad person because some hunter somewhere is a poacher.. I don't think every Catholic Priest is awful because some Catholic Priest do evil to young individuals. Ect....

31-May-19
All I know is when I meet God I’d rather him see me as the kind of person who enjoys helping someone else without judgement than the person who yells at them out the window to get a real job. If my kids do the same then I know I raised them right.

31-May-19
The quickest way to weed out the scammers is to tell them you have cash jobs for them. If they have an honest disability turning you down makes sense. The scammers will usually start hurling cuss words at you once they know you have figured them out.

31-May-19
Follow them....secretly....at the end of the day. You might be surprised when they climb in a vehicle nicer than yours.

31-May-19
There hundreds of stories like this. A man who pretends to be mentally and physically handicapped while he goes around the streets begging claims he makes up to $100,000 a year from his panhandling.

Gary Thompson, from Texas, gets around Lexington, Kentucky, in a wheelchair which he says he needs because he has difficulty walking.

He also maneuvers his hands in a way that would lead the untrained eye to believe he had difficulty using them.

31-May-19
Moat of these rich panhandler stories are fake urban legends.

You guys are making quite a story. Some are mentally ill. Some have addiction issues. Some are vets. Some have dropped out. Its not complicated or serious.

31-May-19
Oh....and I don't buy their stories....but its because I don't care. Someone wants a couple bucks while they're standing outside the liquor store ill buy them a beer and snack. Not much different than buying anyone else a drink or being giving to any other stranger.

31-May-19
Tweed +1

• Sitka Gear