Huntskifishcook 25-May-19
Dthfrmabove 25-May-19
Pi 25-May-19
Huntskifishcook 25-May-19
Dthfrmabove 25-May-19
23-May-19

Ungie01201's embedded Photo
So, as I posted yesterday, I was finally able to connect on a bird yesterday. I noticed his head was a bit messed up when I shot him, but didn't pay much mind as I had to get to work so I put him in a cool spot to breast out when I got home. After getting home I inspected more thoroughly and noticed his face was blackened and very calloused. He had odd dark spots on his face and his forehead was very hard and calloused. His snood was very hard and dry and when I moved it it started to break off (like the flesh was rotten). The back of his legs at the joint were black and calloused as well. I have never seen anything like this so I posted on Massachusetts Turkey Hunting on FB and also did some online research. It looks to me like it is Lymphoproliferative Disease Virus (LPDV) or Blackhead. I called my local division this AM and they said they would chat with the biologist and let me know if they want any further info. I already threw the bird out and it is gone with today's trash pick up, but I do have the legs, beard, and breast meat. The pics show how strange it is. Any thoughts?

23-May-19

23-May-19

23-May-19
So I take it that condition does not effect the meat? That snood thingy is usually red and they can move it, it kinda looks like a small nose! They are a homly bird! Must be a virus thing

23-May-19
I’ve read both that the meat is fit and not fit for consumption . They certainly are ugly when your really inspect them. The snood is usually soft and pliable. This was hard and brittle... Breaking as I tried to move it and inspect it. The top of his forehead was rough and discolored. I don't think I am going to chance and most likely will not eat it. I hate to waste anything I kill, but I don't want to risk it. The bird had 3/4" spurs and weighed a healthy 20lb.... it did not appear to be acting any differently than normal.

23-May-19
Saw your thread on FB about that Ungie, totally wild. Did you end up reaching out to MDFW?

23-May-19
Will, I did call this AM. The guy took my name and number and told me that if the biologist expressed concern he would reach out to me. He told me not to keep the bird for them... So it went out in today's trash pick up. I do have the breast meat, legs, and beard if they need a tissue sample or anything... I figured he'd tell me to hang on to it for a day or so, but I guess not. I will keep you posted.

23-May-19
Pat, I had him in my cooler... but thanks for the feedback...

23-May-19
That is one wild looking bird. I wonder how the infection spreads? Good bird to take out, maybe not from a table fare perspective, but hopefully you helped take out whatever that nastiness is.

23-May-19
Ungie that is interesting. I'm wondering if it happened in the winter time. Looks like a frost bite issue. Keep us posted and congrats on a late season bird.

23-May-19
Could be Deanmann...idk... i've shot a ton of birds... I've killed them w/ beard rot, broken spurs, double spurs, but nothing like this. I killed one missing a toe once and one with a golf ball sized lump in it's foot too! the spur on that leg was stunted. Short and really fat. The other spur was over an inch... strange

23-May-19
That's really strange. I wonder if it's kind of like CWD in deer? Still safe to eat just dangerous to other deer? Well, in this case turkeys. Never thought a turkey could get uglier but here we are. Congrats on the bird again though!

23-May-19
Maybe he was previously shot

23-May-19
Great research Pi. Ty.

23-May-19
Wonder if the girls thought he was fuggly too? Ungie you probably did him a favor .

23-May-19
Haha. You are right Deerdawg. Who wants a gobbler with a snood that won’t snood!?!?

23-May-19
The Fall bird was loaded w parasites. I could smell sickness when I approached it. Skinned it, parasites crawling all over the meat under the skin. Like us, they get disease, but we have Medicine, they have selective Mother Nature. Coyote bait. Don’t take the risk. Be interesting to hear the biologists findings. Thanks for sharing

24-May-19

Huntskifishcook's embedded Photo
Shot bird number two this morning and it was quite infected also. Not like yours, Ungie. This one had a large chunk of it's breast that was a rock solid hardened black chunk. Not sure what it was, but I ended up losing about a third of one breast. You guys have any idea what it could be?

24-May-19
I've heard that other Tom's can rip each other up with their Spurs and a friend said he killed a bird with a long gash from another bird and it was infected like yours. Maybe your bird had that for a while and it healed up like that

24-May-19
Pi, I took all the innards out and checked them. All looks good. It was localized to that one part of the breast. There was a faint smell from the portion I cut off, which led me to believe it was an infection of some sort.

24-May-19
Losing a third !!! You actually gonna eat that thing??? You’re a brave man HFSC !!! Lol

24-May-19
Yeah bummer when you don't get to eat the harvest but not worth getting sick. Fortunately it's not a prion disease like CWD. On the local infection, huntskifishcook, I'd probably go for it if the rest of the meat seemed fine. They certainly are hardy creatures!

24-May-19
Dth, aside from the chunk I had to discard the rest is totally fine. I'd be kinda heart broken if I killed it and then couldn't eat it. But if you guys don't hear from me again I might have contracted the dreaded bird flu lol.

24-May-19
Good luck HSFC I am sure it is fine just looks real ugly in that pic

Dibs on any hunting gear he had !!!! Lol

24-May-19
HSFC - Probably old trauma. Looks like he had some bleeding in the muscle, a hematoma. Sometimes they heal with calcium deposits, which would explain the rock hard feeling.

An x-ray would show the calcium deposits.... but I doubt the bird had decent health insurance....

24-May-19
You guys are savages, I'm not even dead yet!

Sorry to hijack your thread Ungie. Any word on that ugly snood?

24-May-19
I have not heard anything back from mass wildlife on it so I am assuming there is no concern on their end.

I shot a bird several years ago in New York State that had a giant scar on its complete left side of its breast that was all yellow and hardened. I assumed that was an old fighting wound as well, but it was all healed

24-May-19
Congrats Joe!

25-May-19

Notme's embedded Photo
Notme's embedded Photo
Eat the rotten meat guys then come visit me afterwards..I'm sure I can be a lot cheaper than my bosses...lol

25-May-19
Pi and Dth, I'm sorry, I woke up alive this morning. I turns out I'll be keeping all my hunting and fishing gear. Sorry dudes.

25-May-19
HSFC. Damn !!! Well it’s good to have you right side up how did it taste

25-May-19
Don't be sorry buddy. We are very happy for you.

We can wait. : )

25-May-19

Dth, it turned out great. Fresh turkey, greens and radishes from the garden, hard to beat.

25-May-19
Looks yummy !!!!

• Sitka Gear