kent 05-Aug-19
brewski 26-Aug-19
brewski 26-Aug-19
brewski 26-Aug-19
GregBFL 28-Aug-19
kent 29-Aug-19
bghunter 10-Sep-19
29-May-19
I will be around Okeechobee hunting gators in August. I have hunted gators in Florida before but not this area. It was reccomended I do not hunt at night because of snakes.

Should I look into gators (footwear) and a snakebite kit?

03-Jun-19
I'm new to Florida, came from CT. I just feel more comfortable wearing snake boots. Before I got a pair I found myself constantly looking at the ground rather than concentrating on looking ahead to spot game----Good luck--Kent

06-Jun-19
Good point! Thanks!

10-Jun-19
Most the snakes in Florida reside in Tallahassee just sayin. Bob

05-Aug-19
Snake boots/gaitors are a good idea. The poisonous snakes you will find in Florida are the Cottenmouths, Diamondback and Pigmy rattlesnakes, Coral snake and Copperhead. As far as I am aware the Copperhead is only in North Florida but the rest are spread throughout the state. We have a lot of Cottenmouths around the lakes, rivers and swamps. You will find rattlers pretty much anywhere but they tend to like dryer environments. Where I live we see a lot of Coral snakes (Red touches Yellow, kill a Fellow. Red touches Black, friend of Jack). The largest I've ever seen my neighbor killed on my property and it was 42 inches with the head removed. He's got the skin hanging in his house.

05-Aug-19
Hello Greg, what part of the state are you in. I'm in Bay county just getting settled. I did not know coral snakes got so long, I always thought the were fairly short as in 2 feet or so. I have been told that around here there are rattle snakes that are common but have yet to come across one. I'm sure its just a matter of time

26-Aug-19

brewski's embedded Photo
brewski's embedded Photo
If your going to be hunting in Florida, why not wear snake boots? There are big rattlesnakes, tons of pygmy rattlesnakes, 3 tons of cottonmouth. You may spend a month hunting down here and never see one . Also realize that the rattlesnake doesn't always rattle before striking, and the cottonmouth only warning is to open it's mouth to display the cotton smile. If I were to give advice, I'd just say, Look down for danger and not up!

26-Aug-19

brewski's embedded Photo
brewski's embedded Photo

26-Aug-19

brewski's embedded Photo
brewski's embedded Photo

28-Aug-19
Hi Kent, I apologize for such a delayed response. I am in the Clermont area (Lake County) and hunt in Hilochee, Green Swamp, Richloam, Baird Unit, Citrus, etc. The Coral snake I mentioned was in a small town called Ferndale. It was located along the edge of where dry ground met with wetlands. There are a lot of oak, hickory and red maples which often drop thick layers of leaves. The coral snakes were usually found in the moist leaves.

You are correct though, coral snakes are usually 18 inches or less but this area is pretty much undisturbed so they tend to grow much larger. The same thing can be said about the cottenmouths. I saw one in Richloam WMA that was about the diameter of a man's leg. They're the ones that scare me the most because I have seen them become aggressive and come towards you rather than try to escape. They can move rather quickly as well, especially in the water.

29-Aug-19
Thanks Greg, I'll be up in CT for our opener September 15th. Probably full time in Florida come November. My boos is down there full time now and was looking into leases. He has found several options so its just a matter of dollars. He currently hunts Texas and myself CT. We will spend this year getting things set up and focus real hunting next season. This will be my first time involved with a lease so not sure what to expect. Once I'm settled in for good I want to explore options for private land if possible but at least we will have the lease. Its 1800 acres with 5 or 6 guy's on it. I have not yet seen it but were told it holds a good amount of pigs as well as deer and doves. Must be honest I am not a big fan of snakes but will be ever watchful of my surroundings. Thanks Kent

10-Sep-19
I am hoping to move to central florida in a few years and this is what scares me the most. I have hunted there a bunch and luckily so far have not seen any snakes. Even slept in a swap overnight and never saw one. Had a scorpion land on my face though. I will say this, I plan on wearing snake boots.

• Sitka Gear