DR 29-May-19
Mnhunter1980 30-May-19
DR 30-May-19
DR 30-May-19
Mnhunter1980 30-May-19
SD BuckBuster 03-Jun-19
29-May-19
Here is the full document https://gfp.sd.gov/UserDocs/nav/ARCHERY_DEER.pdf

I mined the first Archery Deer.pdf and came up with the below stats. I haven't called and talked to the stats guy yet but (for whatever reason) the access permit harvest summary is slightly different regarding #'s than the first document.

Cliffs: There were 31,109 archery deer licenses issued in 2018 (26,660 resident, 4,449 nonresident

The projected harvest for the archery season was 8,088 deer (4,930 whitetail bucks, 1,902 whitetail does, 1,115 mule deer bucks, and 141 mule deer does). The hunter success rate for the season was 30%.

The five deer management units with the highest reported harvest by residents were the Black Hills, Brown, Minnehaha, Yankton, and Brookings, and by nonresidents were the Black Hills, Brown, Gregory, West Harding, and Custer National Forest.

Resident success 28% Non-Resident success 39%

Residents killed 609 Mule Deer Bucks Non-Residents killed 488 Mule Deer Bucks

Custer National Forest (35L) Resident permits issued 733 Non-Resident permits issued 415

Projected Residents that actually hunted 343 Projected Non-Residents that actually hunted 282

Resident success 6% non-resident success 17%

Mule Deer Bucks Harvested by Residents 14 Mule Deer Bucks Harvested by non-residents 37

Black Hills Mule Deer Resident archers are projected to have killed 95 Mule Deer Bucks Non-Resident archers are projected to have killed 34 Mule Deer Bucks

30-May-19
What do you guys think there is a gap in success rates?

30-May-19
Adjusted 35L stats after adding in survey results from people who hunted there without the legal permit: Residents took 17 mule deer bucks, non-residents 59

30-May-19
MNhunter, My 'theories' revolve around two thoughts. 1. If someone is going to take the time to travel out of state to bowhunt, they are likely very experienced and serious bowhunters. Thus more than capable and likely pretty good hunters as they are serious about it.

2. If someone is going to take the time to travel out of state and spend the money hunting somewhere they don't live...they want to fill their tag and take home some meat. They have no real stake in the local herd or it's health, so they don't necessarily care if they killed a young animal or female. They may just want to "fill their tag and freezer."

Speculation but I think it's pretty sound.

30-May-19
Makes sense to me.

03-Jun-19
I would agree with you on that DR. I think you could split that right down the middle at 50/50. Money and time that's invested by a NR equals 5-6 days of all day hunts and some serious attitudes.

IF you could take out the "last day" of the hunt for a NR I think it would tip the scales more evenly in regards to success rates. But I don't think a majority of NR hunters think that way,, just enough to move the numbers a bit.

• Sitka Gear