YoungGun 31-May-19
Dakota 01-Jun-19
DR 04-Jun-19
YoungGun 04-Jun-19
YoungGun 04-Jun-19
Rickie69 23-Oct-19
Brotsky 23-Oct-19
30-May-19
Hi all! Looking at an upcoming NR Mule Deer hunt for 2019. I have read over the changes and still am a little confused. Kinda sounds like instead of NR’s having the opportunity for unlimited licenses they’re reducing it (for good reasons I can understand). Currently I’m looking into applying for the 35L and 35C units. Based off harvests statistics, good deer are there. Which also means these will be applied to heavily as well. As a NR, I’m looking for the units that have public land access the most. I hunted last near for antelope around the Buffalo area and was fortunate enough to arrow one on my last day. We camped in Reva Cap Campground. Certainly a nice area and I understand why 35L is a good area. Although on our way back from Buffalo to Reva, on highway 20, we saw/almost hit, mule deer every evening. They were always right on the side of the road feeding. Saw one about 160-170 with another nice 130-140, I couldn’t believe it. Just trying to gauge any other units I should apply to if these units don’t work out. Any input is appreciated and if anyone would like info on my antelope hunt I’d have no problem sharing. Also looking at units 35A and 02C? Thanks in advance y’all!

30-May-19
Hi all! Looking at an upcoming NR Mule Deer hunt for 2019. I have read over the changes and still am a little confused. Kinda sounds like instead of NR’s having the opportunity for unlimited licenses they’re reducing it (for good reasons I can understand). Currently I’m looking into applying for the 35L and 35C units. Based off harvests statistics, good deer are there. Which also means these will be applied to heavily as well. As a NR, I’m looking for the units that have public land access the most. I hunted last near for antelope around the Buffalo area and was fortunate enough to arrow one on my last day. We camped in Reva Cap Campground. Certainly a nice area and I understand why 35L is a good area. Although on our way back from Buffalo to Reva, on highway 20, we saw/almost hit, mule deer every evening. They were always right on the side of the road feeding. Saw one about 160-170 with another nice 130-140, I couldn’t believe it. Just trying to gauge any other units I should apply to if these units don’t work out. Any input is appreciated and if anyone would like info on my antelope hunt I’d have no problem sharing. Also looking at units 35A and 02C? Thanks in advance y’all!

30-May-19
Sounds like you are looking for a rifle hunt? If you're looking for a bowhunt the tags will still be unlimited, just buy one and go hunting.

30-May-19
Sorry Brotsky, I am looking for an archery hunt. The NR deer license allows me to still hunt any unit?

30-May-19
Yes, as of now you can hunt any unit with a statewide archery tag. There will be a need to potentially draw certain areas like 35L as you mentioned. Frankly there is much better hunting on other public lands at this point. Just do a little research and scouting in the counties you wish to hunt and you'll have a good experience.

30-May-19
Thank you, I appreciate it. I just thought with some of the changes an application was necessary for specific units. I’ll continue my research. Thanks again.

30-May-19
As Brotsky said, you 'may' have to wind up applying for a Limited Access Unit permit for 35L depending on what the commission and legislative review committee decide in the next month. Otherwise, so long as you buy your license prior to a "potential" purchase deadline you can hunt anywhere in the entire state that's not tribal. I would also avoid 35L at least for a year or two.

31-May-19
Thank DR! I believe that was what I was reading into, I’ll look for more units besides 35L. Certainly the SD hunt planner is useful for me as well as having the OnX maps I had last year. I also just read an article “Scouting for Public Land Success.” I’m not sure if your the same writer DR, if so I appreciate the useful information! Hopefully my research points me to a good direction.

01-Jun-19
It might not look real appealing from searching online but northwest of Buffalo has some pretty good hunting just out on sagebrush flats for mule deer.

04-Jun-19
You are welcome YoungGun. Yes, likely one of mine. Enjoy your bowhunting experience.

04-Jun-19
Thanks Dakota. I hunted NW of Buffalo last year for Antelope off 20 and Clanton Rd. Very appreciative of the public land available and the amount of antelope. Bumped a few whitetails off Clanton.

04-Jun-19
Thanks Dakota. I hunted NW of Buffalo last year for Antelope off 20 and Clanton Rd. Very appreciative of the public land available and the amount of antelope. Bumped a few whitetails off Clanton.

23-Oct-19
Heading out tomorrow to Hunt SW of Buffalo, will let you know how it goes. Anyone know if bucks are starting to chase yet?

23-Oct-19
Not yet, probably be another 2 weeks for mule deer minimum.

• Sitka Gear