joebuck 06-Jun-19
Gusto 06-Jun-19
joebuck 06-Jun-19
Gusto 06-Jun-19
GoJakesGo 08-Jun-19
ground hunter 08-Jun-19
Konk1 10-Jun-19
05-Jun-19
Was thinking about picking up Tactacam to do some self filming during my hunts. This is just for fun / novelty / sharing with buddies and I don’t plan on doing “production quality” type videos or anything. I’m wondering about which model might be best... I can get the Tactacam Solo WiFi at Walmart for like $148, while Scheels has the 4.0 on sale for $299. The 4.0 has better “zoom” (5x vs 3x) and some other features, but the new Solo unit (similar to the old 2.0 unit) also has WiFi and can work with the Tactacam app. Just wondering if it’s worth double the price to get a 4.0?

05-Jun-19
I have no first hand experience, just videos I’ve watched on youtube. My opinion, which could be completely off, is that they work great for close shots. I’ve watched videos where someone shoots a deer at 30 yards and you can’t really see much of it. This is the only reason I haven’t bought one yet. I’m sure I will anyway at some point, though!

05-Jun-19
I’ve noticed that if I watch the videos on my phone or small tablet they aren’t that great, watching on a full size monitor is better. GoPro style “wide angle” or “fish eye” lens are the worst and while cool for extreme skiing videos aren’t really great for hunting. In watching videos that compare the “zoom”... which is digital zoom not optical, I’m really wondering if it’s worth the extra cost to go from the Solo to the 4.0

05-Jun-19
You can get perfectly functional trail cams for around $42 to $60. I googled it. I am happy with the 20+ cheap cameras that I have.

05-Jun-19
These (Tactacam / GoPro / etc) are bow (or on-person) mounted action cams to capture “in the moment “ footage, not statically mounted trail cams

05-Jun-19
I like my tactacam 4.0. I use the 5x zoom and I've got some pretty good videos. I also rarely shoot over 20 yards so that helps. Its nice to be able to go back and watch the videos to confirm where I think you hit the deer before I track

05-Jun-19
Is it easy enough to view in the woods, Naturelives?

05-Jun-19
I have tried with my phone screen a little but my phones pretty small. I'll usually go back and watch on the TV

06-Jun-19
I watched some more vids on YouTube. I think a lot of the bad coverage was user error. I think I’m gonna pick one up!

06-Jun-19
Gusto, thanks for the explanation of what was being discussed. I get it now.

06-Jun-19
As I do more research I’m wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get the 5.0. It has 1080p at 120 frames/sec and image stabilization, and in looking at Tactacam 5.0 video on YouTube it actually looks pretty good.

06-Jun-19

Konk1's Link
" I’ve watched videos where someone shoots a deer at 30 yards and you can’t really see much of it. This is the only reason I haven’t bought one yet. I’m sure I will anyway at some point, though! "

Totally false statement there unless you were viewing video from a GoPro. Using a Tactacam you WILL be able to see the shot. Not saying the impact of the shot, but the reaction of the animal will be very clear.

If you have a smart phone you can download their app and be able to view your video and also a live feed. I have the 4.0 and really like the video quality with one exception. This past April I recorded my turkey kill, when I went to look at the video it was all foggy looking. Audio was good, could hear the tom gobbling and getting closer. I sent an email to Tactacam, they asked me to send the camera in to have it looked at. Now keep in mind this is beyond the warranty period. They tested and tested and re-tested the camera and could not duplicate the video. They sent me a brand new camera at no charge. So they do stand behind their product.

Gusto, I think you would be happy with either the 4.0 or the 5.0. If you want to get really into the editing the 5.0 would be a better option. You see some of the T.V. shows now are using the Tactacam videos as part of their program so that's pretty good video quality.

06-Jun-19
I recently purchased the Tactacam Solo on Ebay for $92. At this point I'm really impressed for what I want it to do which is just record (home movie) some of the stuff I see while out hunting. Video quality from my test videos is better than I expected and the sound is excellent. I've been able to download to my computer with no problem and even edited with Movie Maker (Cut & Paste, Music, Special Effects, Typing Info, etc.). I've downloaded the WIFI APP, but haven't tried it yet. One thing I really like about the Tactacam Solo is it is so simple...one button on and one button off.

06-Jun-19
Joebuck, have you shot it while attached to your bow?

06-Jun-19
Not yet. So far all I've done is test video's by holding bow. My guess is there will be the shock from the shot. On all the threads I've read the toughest thing is to keep your bow up after the shot and to follow the animal. I pass on quite a few nice bucks and want to at least get them on film. Something else, my editing software has a stabilization mode which also really helps in keeping the video from shaking.

06-Jun-19
I’m really going back and forth on which model I want to get.

If I go with the Solo I’m still getting a good cam, that’s easy to use, at a good price point.

The 4.0 and now the 5.0 seem to take really nice, good video and have all the latest “features”, but the price points are double or more.

08-Jun-19
Mine is jinxed. When I have it with I see crap.

08-Jun-19
I bought the 2.0 from Buck and Bear in Stevens Point, it works okay.... easy to use

10-Jun-19
"Mine is jinxed. When I have it with I see crap. "

I can relate to that...LOL

• Sitka Gear