JayD 07-Jun-19
sundaynwv 08-Jun-19
Babysaph 08-Jun-19
Big-Otis-Jeff 08-Jun-19
hookman 08-Jun-19
babysaph 08-Jun-19
Babysaph 08-Jun-19
07-Jun-19
I got an email from VA DGIF about hunting during their Spring Squirrel Season which is June 1 thru the 15th if I remember correctly. I have been seeing a ton of squirrels around the house the past few weeks - wonder if WV would ever consider a Spring squirrel season? Would you hunt them at this time?

07-Jun-19
I would love to hunt some at this time ! Lots of squirrels and several States has a Spring Season

07-Jun-19
Interesting. I had no idea there was such a thing (anywhere) as spring squirrel seasons.

07-Jun-19
Lots of states have them. Been seeing a lot myself. I would hunt them. Don't get to hunt them much in the fall due to Bowhunting. I love hunting them with a .22

07-Jun-19
JR you and me both on the 22! I love hunting with the 22 and then not have to worry about biting into a shotgun pellet! LOL I hunt every now then with the bow for squirrels but it would be a not so full plate for me if I had to rely on just my bow to bag a bushy tail!

Maybe we should ask our DNR if this could be possible to do here in WV since some of us like the idea. I have heard of other states as well having a Spring or summer season so I would think it is biological sound to do so.

08-Jun-19
Lots of states have a lower buck limit so I think it would be biologically sound to do so.

As far as squirrel, I'm all for opportunities but dont see much participation in a spring squirrel season.

08-Jun-19
Well the spring squirrel season will happen before the buck limit is reduced guarantee that. Lol , you are right probably wouldn't be much participation because kids now don't hunt squirrels much. Interferes with their phones and video games. Some of us old timers would still hunt em., and not many people hunt them anymore in the fall now either.

08-Jun-19
Although it sounds like a good hunt.........Too hot and thick for me...... I think some would take advantage of it, most not though.....

08-Jun-19
Lots of squirrels would have warbles and people would toss them. Humm, wanton waste?

08-Jun-19
Yea I was always told as a kid that you could not eat squirrels til after the first frost to kill the warbles. I have noticed that lately that doesn't happen until at least 2 months past the opener in the fall. Hmmm.

08-Jun-19
So lots of wanton waste now that he season comes in early.

• Sitka Gear