bb 25-Jul-19
Bloodtrail 25-Jul-19
bb 25-Jul-19
Bloodtrail 25-Jul-19
Mike in CT 25-Jul-19
bigbuckbob 26-Jul-19
13-Jun-19

Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
My son and I at a recent 3D shoot getting ready.
My son and I at a recent 3D shoot getting ready.
Big rubs mean big bulls. Look how far up the tree the rub goes....
Big rubs mean big bulls. Look how far up the tree the rub goes....
So it’s only 90 days away today for Idaho Elk for me. DIY. Been shooting a lot and dialing in everything. Training a lot too. Anyone else training for a western hunt?

13-Jun-19
Kyle,

Best of luck on your hunt! Elk is definitely on my bucket list and I like the idea of a DIY; have you been to this area before?

13-Jun-19

Intimidating country....but beautiful.
Intimidating country....but beautiful.
First time to Idaho. I’ve been to MT 3 times in the last 6 years. Changing it up this time around. Got some good advice from other sources about this zone and going to give it my best.

20-Jun-19
Hopefully there info is good. In country like that you could walk for days without seeing a thing. I was watching a show on elk and it's amazing how much they move around. Could be there one minute then gone for the whole year until next. Very challenging for sure. Must be physically fit and mentally prepared to go home empty handed. Good luck and I hope you whack a giant!

20-Jun-19

nehunter's Link
I didn't get drawn for Utah. Got 19 preference point. I put in for the top trophy area.

I went Bear hunting in Utah last Year and hunted at 9,000 feet. My body takes 3-4 days to acclimate to the altitude. I bought the oxygen bottles and they worked pretty well. You must buy them out there, you cant travel on planes with them.

Made in CT! Boost Oxygen, LLC 92 Woodmont Road Milford, CT 06460 (877) 375-2500 (203) 331-8100

Good Luck!

20-Jun-19

This gets your legs and lungs ready a little.
This gets your legs and lungs ready a little.
Interesting on the O2.

You “feel” the altitude on the first day, but after that it’s fine. I’ve been @ 7,000 - 9,500 feet, but I train pretty hard for my hunts so I can be ready for anything. It is a lot of covering ground and calling until you find elk. Some days it’s 10-15 miles.....and mentally challenging for sure.

If anyone wants to hike to go out west, or just wants to get better, I go up to East and West Peak in Meriden and also hit Sleeping Giant a lot. It’s the two places that have the best vertical climbs. Let me know if you’re going.

20-Jun-19
Only if you carry me and there's a half naked cabana girl with cold beers at the end of the trail..lol

21-Jun-19
Lol Notme. There’s a Halfway House on the way up to Castle Craig. I’m sure I could arrange for a cooler full of refreshments and a lovely lady to meet you there. ;)

02-Jul-19
I'm heading to Wyoming this year. Did Idaho last year ....bring good glass a d a spotting scope

23-Jul-19
It’s getting closer.....Anyone else getting ready for a trip out west in September?

23-Jul-19
I give you credit bud..I walk from one end of the packie to the other and I'm shot, dragging them 12 packs is hard work..lol

24-Jul-19
If you keep advertising the elk will notice and hide. Better keep it on the low and take them by surprise. Good hunting.

25-Jul-19
Planning on Idaho

25-Jul-19
What zone are you heading to in Idaho? I’ll be out there 9/13-9/21. It’s getting close!

25-Jul-19
Unit 50, maybe solo this year if my buddy from AZ can't make it

25-Jul-19
Very nice. I’ll be in same unit. Have a few spots I’m looking into. Also another unit. I’m planning on having 7-8 areas picked out until I find elk. How are you training for your hunt?

25-Jul-19
Kyle,

No elk trip yet though it's on my bucket list! Going out to IL in mid-November for a rut bowhunt that I'm really stoked about.

Kid,

I grew up in Meriden; used to live on MIllbrook Rd then moved to Columbus Ave (west side) just in time for HS. Moved back to the east side (Butternut Drive) and was then until moving up to Torrington where I've been since.

I used to climb East & West Peak and as a teen I might have been known to sneak into Merrimere Resevoir for some bass fishing......or maybe that's just a rumor.......

26-Jul-19
Kyle - good luck on your elk hunt, I wish I was heading our west for elk as well!! Give us daily updates if you can, would love to hear on you're doing.

• Sitka Gear