Pasquinell 15-Jun-19
Franklin 15-Jun-19
RUGER1022 15-Jun-19
retro 15-Jun-19
Two Feathers 15-Jun-19
GoJakesGo 15-Jun-19
GoJakesGo 15-Jun-19
13-Jun-19
Well as far as shooting hunting weight I am done,,,,, that is per my heart doctor,,,,, found out today, I can shoot a target bow, 25 and under ....... as for hunting have to explore different avenues......... also can not use a climber, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Otherwise the check up was good,,,,,,, My long bows will be wall hangers now,,,,,,

13-Jun-19
Sorry to hear that GH. Glad check up was good though. There are other avenues to explore as far as hunting goes. Good luck with whatever you decide.

13-Jun-19
Hope you do well with this. I know that a physical limitation was difficult for me. I have taken to hunting big fish in the Gulf of Mexico. Best wishes.

13-Jun-19
Bummer.

13-Jun-19
Sorry to hear that!

13-Jun-19
Sorry to hear brother

13-Jun-19
Hang in there ground hunter.

13-Jun-19
G H , you'll be fine . I shoot 25 to 30 lb recurves for fun . My hunting bow is a Mathews with 40lb limbs . Almost anyone can draw it back & it will kill anything in North America except Bears that eat people .

Twice a week I work out with my 35 lb rubber bands . Big difference .

At 73 I'm slowly falling apart . When I can't shoot my bows I'll will be a teacher & mentor .

13-Jun-19
Hang in there GH.....since when did we start listening to doctors...lol.

Find whatever you can to enjoy the outdoors and make it work for you. Always enjoyed your threads so whatever you do don`t leave us!

13-Jun-19
That really sucks GH. I believe you own an xbow so you should still be able to hunt deer just not with your weapon of choice. It would sure beat not being in the woods.

13-Jun-19
+ to that Happy.

You're still a great outdoorsman and fish slayer Mike.

13-Jun-19
as far as the cross bow, I must stay true to myself,,,,,, I got that from my daughter, after the heart surgery..... I use it for turkeys, which is fun, and will use it next season for bears,,,, I believe in the lessor weapon rule......

have no idea of where I am going,,,,,,,,

13-Jun-19
Sorry to hear this GH. I think you would be good with a compound at 40lbs. Either way do what the doc says and take care of yourself. You are a great outdoorsman and a wealth of information. So I hope you will keep posting here even if you have to scale way back on your bowhunting.

13-Jun-19
Good health to you!!

14-Jun-19
GH, crossbows were originally meant to keep guys like you in the woods. Nobody on here would ever look down on you for using one. On the other hand, you would probably find just as much or more enjoyment by finding a younger guy, sharing your wisdom and helping scout/hang stands etc. Or get a nice camera and go hunting with that. You can shoot every deer you see with a camera and don’t need a license!

14-Jun-19
Sorry to hear that GH, but a 40 lb compound will take a deer easily. It does suck about the longbows, did you ask the doc about 30 or 35lb longbows?

14-Jun-19
GH, do what you need to do. No shame in going the crossbow route. They are so much easier to cock and handle now days. Sounds like what you need most is a new doctor. (just kidding)

14-Jun-19
Live 2 Hunt,,,,,, for a long bow, that is too light,,,, I know on leatherwall they talk about shooting really light bows, but in reality you need some punch, deer deserve a good humane kill

looking into the lighter compound which delivers more energy,

14-Jun-19
Wow, I am sorry to hear that GH. No one knows your own limits the way you do and you were hunting hard last fall. Go get yourself a low poundage compound, like others mentioned. I cannot see you hanging your bow up in this lifetime, but no matter the decision you make, I wish you the best! Noc.....

14-Jun-19
I am not hanging up the bow, but days with my sticks and long bow are over with,,,,, I will figure something out,,,,,,, I have a warrior mentality,,,,,, I also now have to really ground hunt,,, ha ha,,,, no more climbers,,,,,,

14-Jun-19
Whatever you choose GH, I wish you nothing but the best. Don't ever let anyone belittle you over your weapon of choice. In the big scheme of life, the weapon of choice does not matter. Being in God's beauty pursuing the game we love is what matters.

14-Jun-19
Get a second opinion.

14-Jun-19
Just do what you think is right for you, nobody else's opinion matters.

14-Jun-19
Sorry to hear of your misfortune GH. This would be a tough situation for many but for someone as dedicated to bowhunting as you have been for so many years I am certain it is very difficult. My day too is coming, probably pretty soon. I do not look forward to it and hope I can handle it as gracefully as you appear to be doing and with the conviction you harbor. Good luck and good fortune in your days ahead GH.

14-Jun-19
GH , Truth be told , do you need to pull a bow back ? Someone asked me how long has it been from my last kill . I told him 6 years . I said " I have a cave full of nice bucks . Unless its over 140 I don't shoot ."

I lied, I have let 4 deer over 140 walk in the last 4 years . At age 73 life seems very important for all things.

Like Slicer said . A Camera . I have a Sony with a nice Lens . Twice I carried it instead of a weapon last year .

There comes a time when its not about the kill .

15-Jun-19
GH..... I wish you well.

15-Jun-19
There comes a time when its not about the kill .

Yep. I'm in this category too.

GH best of luck in your decisions and your health.

15-Jun-19
X2 ^^^^^.....I haven`t pulled the string on a deer in 3 seasons.....doesn`t bother me one bit.

15-Jun-19
SOoo the wife reads the thread & asked why do I buy Lic's if I'm not shooting ?

I told her " If a pot bellied sway backed 7 1/2 year old 200 inch 18 pointer walks by I would empty my quiver like a banana clip ".

After all I would have to save that buck from dieing a terrible death from Wolves or winter .

15-Jun-19
How does pulling a bow back affect your heart? I dont know, just asking.....

15-Jun-19
If it was me I would not give up bowhunting because the doctor said so.

15-Jun-19
Health is more important then a hobby. Sounds stupid but until you've lost your health you probably wouldn't understand.

15-Jun-19
Health is more important then a hobby. Sounds stupid but until you've lost your health you probably wouldn't understand.

• Sitka Gear