skookumjt 19-Jun-19
Chief2 19-Jun-19
18-Jun-19

Treefarm's embedded Photo
Gnats after less than 5 minutes
Treefarm's embedded Photo
Gnats after less than 5 minutes

Treefarm's Link
I have been in the woods the last few days and shooting bow eVery night and it is miserable with gnats. Here are some hints to keep gnats and deer flies away or dead!

Gnats: apply Absorbine Jr. to a small cloth and pin to back of hat. I also use my sticky hat, the gnats get stuck and after awhile the had look like it has a coating of fur.

I will attach my YouTube video again this year for deer flies. It may look silly but I have dozens of people who now swear by it. Come July when deer flies come out, I will be ready.

18-Jun-19
Tread not deer fly patches are a savior for me when I am working in the woods.

When the windstorm hit Danbury several years ago, I was sent up to help get timber salvage operations going and the deer flies we're awful. Everyone laughed at the patches on my hat until they were being eaten up. I ended up giving away dozens of them.

19-Jun-19

Treefarm's Link
They claim Buffalo gnats are prevalent but I am not sure. I see two types, the smaller (which swarm around head) and the typical larger black fly (that literally covers by sticky helmet when ai leave it sitting outdoors). None the less, interesting read. I can’t wait for the Dragonflies to emerge in numbers. They go into attack mode.

19-Jun-19
I hate those gnats that fly right for your eyeball when you are shooting a bow. I have ended up wearing safety glasses.

19-Jun-19
Question Tree....does that stick um peel off and you apply a new layer when it gets full or how does that work.

Skook…..is that "Tread Not" or what is the name?

19-Jun-19
Mine gets messy unless you know what to do. Imagine putting tar on a flashing, same thing with helmet. When it fills with flies, you scrape off with putty knife. I get about 2-3 scrapes before reapplying more Tanglefoot. A filled hat has literally thousands of deer flies. For me, it is worth the effort as you can go a long time between scraping, but moreover, you never see a deer fly as they get stuck and don’t keep dive bombing. For the average person Tred Not May be better but they don’t capture as efficiently and fill up. The helmet with Tanglefoot is unbelievable. It works so well it is ridiculous. Once people try it, they get over the inconvenience of scraping/applying. I have a lot of casual road walkers who use them. They get funny looks.

19-Jun-19

skookumjt's Link

19-Jun-19
I'm hosting 4th of July and the gnats are terrible at our house anyone know something kid friendly I can apply to the whole yard

19-Jun-19
There are several pyrethrine based chemicals you can spray. I am not a huge fan because they are non selective and kill good insects too, but I certainly understand that sometimes there aren't many good options when people need to be able to be outside. We actually sprayed for a party at my girlfriend's house on Saturday and stayed out on the deck until midnight without having to put bug spray on. Talstar (bifen) is one that is common. Google mosquito chemical and you will find lots of options.

19-Jun-19
Thanks!

• Sitka Gear