HA/KS 21-Jun-19
Thornton 22-Jun-19
Thornton 22-Jun-19
writer 22-Jun-19
HA/KS 22-Jun-19
Slate 22-Jun-19
Kansan 23-Jun-19
21-Jun-19
Has anyone on here ever heard of inter breeding of brown and black bears?

21-Jun-19
What do you mean by brown bear?

21-Jun-19

HA/KS's Link
I found this interesting article about crosses between bears and dogs. One came from near North Platte.

21-Jun-19

HA/KS's Link
"In 1859, a black bear and a European brown bear were bred together in the London Zoological Gardens, but the three cubs did not reach maturity. In The Variation of Animals and Plants under Domestication Charles Darwin noted:

In the nine-year Report it is stated that the bears had been seen in the Zoological Gardens to couple freely, but previously to 1848 most had rarely conceived. In the Reports published since this date three species have produced young (hybrids in one case),...[3]"

21-Jun-19
Henry: good to hear from you, really miss ya on the joke thread on the now extinct CF forum. By brown bear I mean ursus arctos and the common black bear.

21-Jun-19
Excuse me Henry: not ursus arctos but ursus horribilis>

21-Jun-19
I didn't find any known cases of a cross between Grizzly and Black bears. Black bears come in many colors from black to white.

I will really miss the Community Forum.

21-Jun-19
They say polar and brown bear have bred. Shawn

21-Jun-19
Yes. The Green New Deal crowd wanted to use that as proof of global warming, but DNA data shows that they have interbred for a very long time. They are actually probably just two color phases of the same species.

22-Jun-19
Not sure, but my guide in Colorado shot a 600lb black bear over a water hole. I had no idea they got that big.

22-Jun-19

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo

22-Jun-19
Inland grizz and polar bears have been documented several times. Seems a grizz would as soon eat a black bear as mate with it.

22-Jun-19
writer, I would agree with the grizz :-)

22-Jun-19

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
This is a good one I saw yesterday hiking

23-Jun-19
Very cool Todd!

• Sitka Gear