Treefarm 10-Jul-19
ELK ELSEWHERE 10-Jul-19
upnorth 10-Jul-19
Treefarm 13-Jul-19
Zebrakiller 15-Jul-19
Treefarm 29-Jul-19
22-Jun-19

Treefarm's embedded Photo
6 arrows shot at 30 yards: 2-hinge, 2- Fletch Concho (finger), and 2 wrist strap finger).
6 arrows shot at 30 yards: 2-hinge, 2- Fletch Concho (finger), and 2 wrist strap finger).
I try to be both accurate and precise. In bow hunting, you consistently need both to be successful. Being a “lucky shot” has no place in archery.

I am having an issue that I cannot figure out. I started shoot hinge and release about a month ago and it quickly proved to me that I am both precise and accurate.

Now, I try to go to my finger release Fletchhunter Concho to practice as a backup. I found I was precise, but not accurate, shooting 5-“ right at 30 yards. I even tried a wrist release with finger actuations. That too, precise but not accurate. .

In attached photo, you can see my quandary. I want to be both P&A with all releases.

As a note, I have a kisser. My peep aligns perfect with sight halo. I am not understanding why I go right with finger actuation. .

22-Jun-19

22-Jun-19
I shoot both the same . But i do have guys that shoot two different groups if they try to use the two different types . Its all about torque . Just guessing but I would say you have the hinge release tighter to your jaw . Or it could be the other way around , either way its one or the other .

22-Jun-19
Are you using a Different loop? That might help, but it's pretty typical for different poi with different releases. Doesn't mean either isn't accurate.

22-Jun-19
I had a suggestion it was torque so I tried the wrist strap alongside Concho. Remarkably,,they still grouped right. I do anchor tight to jaw with knuckles using the hinge release.

I have one loop.

I am puzzled because I use the same anchor for kisser to peep to pin housing. There must be more to it i.e. torque.

All I can say is since I switched to a hinge with a cllicker, I have become so much better. I do shoot daily, but my confidence has much improved. Zebrakiller has really mentored me to this point and made me understand archery can be fun, not just a tool to hunt with.

The trend of inclusion of other weapons in the bow season is a good example. Those have mainly one job, sight in and stick in the closet until fall, no heading to 3-D shoots, no daily shooting. I can’t wait to grab my bow after work and shoot. I now set accuracy goals and drive to be a better archer.

22-Jun-19
Torque might play a role in it but if your using different releases your anchor point will change regardless if your kisser, peep and site housing line up. Your best choice would be to pick one release and not change back and forth.

22-Jun-19
Have some one take a pic of you at full draw with both releases....you will probably see why. X2 with Upnorth.

22-Jun-19
Since his arrows are pretty much the right height I am going to stay with torque where he holds the releases to his face . If its in his bow hand hes twisting the front of the bow to the left causing the arrow to go to the right , doesn't take much . If you have a way to shoot through paper if your torquing you should show a little different tear between the releases .

22-Jun-19
Definitely, seeing a difference. I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around if alignment is kisser to peep to pin ( peep wrapping halo), why it would shoot different. It is a good learning point for me.

As for one release, I agree. I am a special case because I switched to the hinge because I can’t feel the trigger in finger or thumb releases. I used them for years and was looking for a mouth aided release (why I am working with Purdue to make one). I went to pro-shop and owner said, try mine. It was a hinge release. I was instantly amazed how it helped me. However, it may be difficult to hunt with. I want to have a finger backup. My Fletchhunter is modified with an over-sized trigger.

So in end, I need to figure out exactly what is causing the POI difference. I prefer to have finger as backup but the finger release is what started my level of confidence to drop when I started shooting daily and I flinched missing trigger with finger. This is more than you need to know, it is a hidden disability and I refuse to hit the easy button.

22-Jun-19
I will try some different things and keep posted. Thanks for the help guys.

22-Jun-19
Have you shot any broad heads ? Also when you first changed the releases did you have to re-sight the bow or move change anything like loop length , peep or kisser height etc . Guessing not the last 3 they would effect up and down if you didn't move sight .

22-Jun-19
I got the new release with a single pin adjustable sight at same time. The loop was reset to the hinge release, along with draw length. So basically, I have sighted in all over but only to the hinge release. I haven’ t shot broadheads yet. I heard they all fly like field points j/k

23-Jun-19
Sometimes depending on type but mostly how the bows set up . Just wondering why did you change your draw length was it wrong with the other release ?

23-Jun-19
I went to a Level 3 coach because of my issues. Also, pro-shop has him staffed and because of the learning curve with the hinge release, he spent an hour with me recalibrating. He lengthened draw 1/2” with switch to the hinge based on his observations. It may have been a bit short with the other release, I just don’t know. Is 1/2” a significant increase?

23-Jun-19
I very a 1/2 inch between 29 and 29 1/2 not a big deal . Don't know what bow you have but as long as your not jumping forward ( clasping ) or hitting your arm you should be fine . But like I said earlier not everyone will shoot the two different releases the same . I have a guy that's crazy with releases he's probably has dozens of them probably 5 or 6000.00$ worth. He's one of my top shooters , he goes back and forth all the time but he usually has to make adjustment to his sight between them . Doesn't bother him a bit .

27-Jun-19

Sight pattern from 30 yards
Sight pattern from 30 yards
I am still on a learning curve with my single pin adjustable sight. I didn’t shoot Saturday as I was away. On a Sunday, my wife watched. I stood on the deck and let fly. “Whack”. I hit high and a dang bolt holding the rubber backer. I chalked it up to a severe flinch. I knocked another arrow and let fly. “Whack” high right next to first arrow. Then I realized my previous shooting was at 50 yards on Friday. I hit my forehead and adjusted the sight. I knocked and let fly. “Low”???? Crap, I set sight at 20 yards and I was at 30 yards on the deck. The next 3 arrows were nice and precise...and accurate. My trajectory pattern is large as I am shooting 495 grains at 55#.

Goes to show, keep your head in the game. Daily shooting has improved my archery skills immensely and I have Zebrakiller to thank for patiently taking my endless questions. That guy has turned me 180 with regards to bowhunting.

27-Jun-19
up north, I am flabbergasted why I shoot 5-6” right with finger release but nuts with hinge. I tried my hardest to anchor similarly. I will admit I have a terrible flinch with my finger release because I can’t feel the trigger (hence why I like the hinge). I hope Purdue come through for me on a bite release, I like their ideas!

27-Jun-19
Treefarm....when you say "bite release" do you mean the release is activated by biting on something or are you using your mouth to hold the bow like some have done due to injury.

27-Jun-19
The prototype will be pulled back by hand (even people with no hand) and the mouth will be used to actuate. I have another idea for fingerless release too. I wish I had a machine shop!

27-Jun-19
You might just have something there....in order to activate it you have to bring it to the exact same spot.....it`s almost like a "kisser button release". Brilliant!

28-Jun-19
I have target panic . Have it for many many years . I have a release they call the answer ( they don't make them anymore if you find them on line they usually go for around 200 they guy I talked about with all the releases probably has 6+ of them he buys everyone he sees ) when set correctly if you punch it won't fire . So unless I pull the trigger really slow I won't get the shot so my focus is aiming . I drive people nuts with it you see me snap the trigger so hard then i reset sometimes 3 or 4 times and then make a smooth accurate shot most of the time. To me target panic is the fear of missing so a person flinches because they think the pin will be off if they don't rush the shot . If you want to make smooth shots during practice just put a plain sheet of paper on your target at 20 yards pull back on it don't aim at anything , as long as the pin is somewhere on the paper and you feel everything is lined up shoot you will be surprised on how smooth you can pull any trigger . Usually have a guy do that 3 or 4 times then shoot at a dot trying to get the same feeling . There's a lot of gimmicks for shooting . problem is its a head thing and new stuff usually works because its different but the person usually figures how to beat it and goes back to what he was doing . Keep working at it and don't worry so much about shooting two different groups pick the release you feel more comfortable with and stick with it for a while takes at least two week to develop a habit . Plus if you like shooting both just mark your sight since your only left and right on most adjustable sight there easy to adjust don't know which one you have but if its a HHA takes a few seconds to move windage .

28-Jun-19
You are doing so well treefarm and just love the dedication to this improvement, it will pay off big time!

28-Jun-19
I tried your theory today Tree....I can spin my release and the trigger goes right into the corner of my lips naturally....it`s my standard anchor. If my tongue was stronger I could fire the trigger....lol

09-Jul-19
Any updates, Treefarm?

10-Jul-19
No updates. I was out of country for a week so unable to shoot. Tonight was my first night back at it. I am “nailing” it with hinge but the finger release is consistently right 5 inches. When my POA is left 5”, I nail it with the finger. Very odd. I cannot figure it out. I do however, find the hinge has all but made my flinch disappear.

10-Jul-19
Like to see a picture of the trigger in your mouth naturally . Shouldn't be near there unless your draw is to short . Don't know if you shoot with a kisser or a loop or off the string but normally the trigger depending on the type of release would be no where near the corner of a persons mouth . At what distance is that 5 inches ?

10-Jul-19
upnorth, that is the conundrum, I shoot with a loop and kisser. The hinge is anchored against my jaw along back with my knuckles. Do when I anchor with the Fletchhunter Concho, I try to get as close as the same, aligning from kisser to peep to halo guard around my pin. I wonder if it has something to due with the angle of my sight line, i.e. my head angles more with hinge?

10-Jul-19
Let me ask you this,,,,, could it be your not shooting your dominant eye?

10-Jul-19
Ground hunter, I have a confirmed dominant eye, but that is a good suggestion.

10-Jul-19
I'm not certain of those release types but I had a similar experience once with two different releases. One was a caliper type release and the other was what I think your referring to as a hinge type. The hinge type always shot to the left I believe.

My theory way that the caliper was more "in line" with the string and the hinge caused a tiny bit of torque as it released the string.

I hope I understood your problem, if not disregard!

10-Jul-19
I should of mentioned who I was talking about the first part was about the person that could get the trigger in the corner of his mouth when turning the trigger toward his face . And then was asking you at what distance . If you have a strap release and squeeze the strap when shooting it usually will make the arrow go to the right . Really would need to see you shoot to try to fix it there's too many unknown's .

13-Jul-19
Been really pleased with my progress since moving to the hinge release. I have shot daily for nearly 2 months now and have been increasing the distance. It is amazing that the distance used to be intimidating. I really like what it takes to be a bow hunter. There are no short cuts...pull, aim, release, repeat as needed.

15-Jul-19
I love to see how this have come Treefarm, good for you!

29-Jul-19
I have learned that accuracy and precision come with practice! I shot at 20 tonight, first is a long time. The target looked like a moose. My right shoulder is twice as big as my left shoulder after shooting daily. I have learned that archery is so much more than a hunting tool. I do, however, look forward to putting my practice to use. Pulling back without being detected is the challenge I like. No easy button for me.

• Sitka Gear