TwoDogs@work 28-Jun-19
Catscratch 03-Jul-19
ksq232 04-Jul-19
Catscratch 05-Jul-19
TwoDogs@work 05-Jul-19
TwoDogs@work 03-Sep-19
Catscratch 03-Sep-19
24-Jun-19
I found a few Chanterelles yesterday. Anyone else finding any. I hope to get to one of my better places this week.

25-Jun-19
I'll look later today and get back with ya...

25-Jun-19
Found a bunch of little ones and a few bigger one that were old. The little ones are very fresh and should be good for picking soon!

26-Jun-19
I will get out to another place or two this weekend to check for some more. Glad you found some.

27-Jun-19
I find this very interesting. Could you share some tips on how and where to find them?

27-Jun-19
Bassbuster... I typically find them near oaks, but not in mature forests. They are normally towards the edge of the woods. They stand out as they are yellow and orange and much easier to see than morels or hens. Look up some info on how to positively identify them (it mostly has to do with their "gill" edges and how they run down the stem). They grow from the ground and not out of wood. If you find some post pics.

27-Jun-19
I also find them around Oak trees. I find quite a few of mine around mature Oaks and they may be 50 or more yards from the edge of the timber. The ones I found last week were under 15 inch diameter Oak tree near a hay shed. I found them there for the last 3 or 4 years.

27-Jun-19
II will try and get some pictures this weekend.

27-Jun-19

Catscratch's embedded Photo

27-Jun-19
How would you rate the taste compared to morels?

27-Jun-19
Not even close to a morel but they are good in a different way. We fry morels to a crispy and salty goodness. Chants get put in risotto and soups, or on top of a steak.

28-Jun-19
Thanks guys. I will have to start looking for some.

28-Jun-19
Myself I really like the Chanterelles when they are in the right condition. I have found sometimes they have very little taste. I think this was when they had significant rain on them after they had come up. Other times they have a very mild almost sweet taste. I like to simply sautee them in butter or olive oil or canola oil. I also dip in a batter of 7 up and flour and fry. As Catscratch said they are different than morels but I rate them as fair to very good depending the condition of the mushroom.

03-Jul-19

They are up and plentiful! Lots are small but with this wet weather I bet they grow well.

04-Jul-19
What you have pics of look pretty small, Cat. How big do they get? And what size do you want them before picking?

05-Jul-19
Those are small. I only picked enough for a single meal. I'll go back in a few days to see if they are bigger. How big they are when you pick them is completely up to you. I picked some pretty small ones and didn't even cut them in half before cooking.

05-Jul-19
I have hit one spot three times and there have been new ones every time. I usually pick the small ones at two places due to the distance from home and difficult access. I am not finding lots but enough for a couple of meals each time.

03-Sep-19
I am finding quite a few Chanterelles again. Picked from one spot on Tuesday and again on Monday. They are coming up almost daily. I hope to check another spot or two this weekend. I have never had much luck this time of year in the past, but that is not the case this year.

03-Sep-19
Thanks for the update! I was tempted to look yesterday just because the ground is moist and the temps warm. I'll for sure get out sometime soon.

• Sitka Gear