Wapitidung 02-Jan-20
plenty coups 07-Jan-20
HighCountryHntr 08-Jul-20
Rob in VT 31-Jul-20
7mm08 21-Jun-21
Rob in VT 07-Jul-21
7mm08 12-Jul-21
24-Jun-19
My wife and I are in the process of buying a home in Big Horn, we close Aug 1st. The plan is to retire there in the next 3-5 years. Wondering if there is anyone on this site that lives in the area?

I plan on being out there sometime early September to start setting up the house. I won’t be hunting this year but hopefully will be able to scout a bit and find some access points to BLM and NF. I plan on stopping at the WY G&F office to see if they can tell me access points.

Anyways if there is anyone in the area hit me up with a PM. Would appreciate any helpful info. Not just hunting related, but where to grocery shop, good restaurants (liked Frackletons and the Rib & Chop House), outdoor shops, where do you target shoot, anything really.

Much appreciated, Rob

25-Jun-19
Welcome to Wyoming. Get your drivers license changed over asap and get that residency started before Sept so you'll be a resident next fall. Nice area, you will like it.

29-Jun-19
Are you considering adoption...lol Congratulations, sounds like a wonderful plan:)

29-Jun-19
We should be residents of that general area by then too! Can't wait to retire. One year, eight months and counting.

01-Jul-19
Thanks Wytex. I won’t be a resident for a few more years, but will be getting my ducks in a row for when I do.

Handle, you’re funny!

7mm, you may be a resident sooner than me! I have 24 months until retirement. The Sheridan area is beautiful. I’m sure you will love it.

Thanks again, Rob

01-Jul-19
Wife and I moved just down the road 4 months ago. We are in Buffalo.

Great area, tons of hiking, and land to explore. Looking forward to fall but enjoying summer and golf and hiking now

07-Jul-19
I’m retiring this August but will have to settle for hunting WY as points allow. We are anchored here in the east with grandkids for a few years. Good luck out there, sounds great.

13-Jul-19
I'm not from there yet, but I'm working on it.

13-Jul-19

02-Sep-19
To bad you already bought a place. I got a nice place outside of Ten sleep at the base of the big horns for sale

13-Sep-19

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Just getting back after 2 weeks in Big Horn. What a beautiful area and the people are super friendly! I was shocked at how many whitetails are there.

Just need to figure out where to hunt as there are many large private ranches near the house.

13-Sep-19

From east of town.

02-Jan-20
I hope to retire in Wy. some day. I used to live in Bighorn. Looking forward to returning to the area. I didn't recognize Sheridan on my last visit. It's seem to have grown quite a bit. If you play golf, Bighorn Golf Club is a great course. In the past the general public could play. Don't know if that's still the case.

07-Jan-20
Great place to visit but I really would rather live somewhere else if I could. Too late and too old now.

08-Jul-20
I used to live there, and relatives still do. I live in eastern Wy now, so I still go back to the Bighorns for archery spring bear hunting and fall elk hunting (when I get lucky and draw a limited area tag). Sheridan just keeps growing and hunting permission on private property is getting tough, but there is a lot of national forest. The access is easy up Red Grade Road out of Bighorn or Highway 14 out of Dayton. The problem with easy access is that causes good buck mulies to be few and far between on the forest, and elk hunting is tough in the general-tag areas. Antelope numbers are still good, just not a lot of trophy buck genes in the Sheridan area so don't expect monsters and you'll have no problem tagging out if you can find a good waterhole or fence crossing on which to set up a blind. Loads of whitetails around Bighorn, but that "secret" has been out for a long time now and most of the ranches are leased or otherwise charge to access. If you're looking for easy private land access, you'll need to head somewhere less pricey as the millionaires have taken over much of the land around Sheridan now. Sad but true. At least it's nothing like Jackson!

31-Jul-20
Highcountry,

I agree with everything you mentioned. I am starting to look for a piece of land to lease for Whitetails in 2021. Red Grade was a zoo when I was up there in July. So many vehicles and wheelers.

21-Jun-21
It can be a zoo anywhere on public here. You just have to learn to work with it. We finally made it Rob and Bob! Closed on our build outside Buffalo March 26th. We have been coming out for 25 years. Wife grew up here in WY... but I never experienced the Miller Moth migrations. Holy Cow... it's a plague!!! Hundreds of thousands of them crapping on the grill, the house and windows! Probably two- thousand a night in my shop. Had to unplug both bug zappers as they plugged them up withing 1/2 hour of dusk every night. Wow!

07-Jul-21
Congrats Rick! I retire in 22 days and will be headed to WY for Aug and Sept. beyond excited and can’t wait to get there (and clean up the moths).

12-Jul-21
Ha! Welcome "home" Rob.

• Sitka Gear