South Farm 28-Jun-19
jjs 28-Jun-19
huntnfish43 28-Jun-19
ground hunter 28-Jun-19
huntnfish43 29-Jun-19
Pasquinell 30-Jun-19
ground hunter 30-Jun-19
25-Jun-19
Now we have a topic,,,,,, the JFC wants 100,000.00 dollars out of our funds, those from the hunters and trappers and fishermen, for a research project for our private deer farm industry...................................... what do you think?

25-Jun-19
Sounds like a drop in the bucket compared to Bernie wanting to wave a wand and wipe away student loan debt, but even so it goes right along with the current day mentality where the wrong guy gets stuck footing the bill! Sportsmen have been having their kitties raided for pet projects way too long! Having said that I for one am getting really sick and tired of "research" and "studies". A lot of unnecessary people getting there pockets lined in this research industry we got going these days, and not enough trickles down to actually DOING ANYTHING TANGIBLE to fix the problems.

25-Jun-19
Fixing a problem would mean an end to the studies which would mean an end to the salaries of those doing the studies. Unfortunately, not likely to happen.

25-Jun-19
I think the money should be used to create legislation that eliminates deer farms, the only purpose they serve is as breeding zones for cervidae diseases that then magically make it to the wild herds

25-Jun-19
And, why don't we hear much about the national debt? Currently at a Record $22 Trillion and going up about a trillion every year. Yet many in congress want to keep spending more and more. Well lets get that $22T paid off first. Stop spending on all sorts of stupid stuff like this research project.

25-Jun-19
Jeff a little off topic, this is Wisconsin money, for a Wisconsin issue, on deer hunting, not sure we need to tackle the national debt issue,,,,,,

25-Jun-19
I was able to call the governor this am, and asked his assistant to have him veto this legislation,,,,,,, lot of clueless legislators in my opinion, who are no friends of the Wisconsin outdoorsmen, someone, is getting a gift, on our back...... Funny how stuff like this slips thru,,,,,,,,

politics makes strange bedfellows, as a conservative, I thought I would never agree with some democrats, but I do on this one,,,,,,, They do nothing for years, and now they want to spend this money....... something wrong here

25-Jun-19
The problem with this can be the "abuse". There are thousands of private companies that their sole source of income and profit come from government grants and funding. There are very few checks and balances on these type of operations.

Not that I have any faith in our government to get the job done....but $100,000 is not a lot of money. As long as it doesn`t turn into $500,000 as most governmental programs do.

25-Jun-19
The Joint Finance Committee (JFC) is controlled by a Republican Majority ... this is what the public voted for, right?

25-Jun-19
None of our money should go to this or animal damage control. They have there own private deer heard groups or what ever they call them to give them money. They should pay the DNR for the study if they want to keep those diseased animals and the farmers can either let people hunt the animals that are causing the problems or get it from there insurance. Our money should go into the forest and water habitats and the wildlife and fisheries only.

25-Jun-19
GH, you make a good point.

25-Jun-19
Problem is if this goes through its just going to turn the faucet on for more money down the line.

26-Jun-19
So what is the project actually for that has everyone so up in arms? I mean public/private partnerships are quite common and have been for decades. Not saying its right or wrong, just wondering what is so objectionable, other than many have a disdain for deer farmers.

HF43

26-Jun-19
That's my problem, anything to do with deer farms

26-Jun-19
Lets see ZERO money allotted for anything CWD. But they want to give deer farms money. If the rich deer farmers want something, pay for it themselves.

26-Jun-19
Rut x 2

27-Jun-19
HF43, because it is coming out of the DNR money which includes all of our money from license fees. All that money could be going into the fishery's and wildlife habitat. Not for something that is transferring a bad disease around and some fat slob, not a hunter, wants to pay big money to show off a trophy he shot in a pen.

27-Jun-19
Sportsmen funding the study of deer farms is like the hangman charging you for the rope he intends to hang you with!

27-Jun-19
EXACTLY, South Farm!

27-Jun-19
19 posts and still no specifics what the money will be used for.

To Funny

HF43

27-Jun-19
I will send you a PM as soon as I have time. Information is lengthy...… its in the current budget...….

28-Jun-19
It is really sad how apathetic the Wis hunter is on CWD, but they will talk all day on their kill plots.....

28-Jun-19
huntfish43 - the objection of many to this bill, as I see it, is not what the $$$ will be used for but rather with the funding, i.e., where the money came from.

I think most deer hunters believe if the deer farmers want to study CWD on their farms and within their herds of captive cervids, let them,...let them do so as they wish. But, and this is a big "BUT"...let them pay for it...let them fund their own research with their own $$$...do not ask me (the deer hunter) to pay for it.

This $100,000 came from a portion of the DNR Conservation Account which is funded by Wisconsin deer hunter's purchase of bonus deer tags in counties affected by CWD and is ear-marked for CWD testing and monitoring in the wild deer herd. All of the monies in the hunting, fishing and trapping portion of the Conservation Account are supposed to be used for programs relating to hunting, fishing, and trapping according to state law. This 100K is a mis-use of the deer hunters money and is runs against the intentions of the original legislation.

This CWD research money is clearly not being used as it was supposed to be. Research on private deer farms is for the benefit of the private deer farmers and is clearly not directly for the benefit of the wild deer herd. No one has suggested the positive results will, if there are any (and that's another big "if"), transfer to the wild deer herd and no one can prove they will.

Simply put, the Legislature's Joint Finance Committee is/has considered the DNR's Conservation Budget and has inserted a provision spending $$$ from deer hunters on private deer farms.

No one is suggestion CWD research should not be done on private deer farms, but many are saying if this happens the deer farmers should fund their own research. Let them pay for it.

It is interesting to note that a number of Wisconsin sportsman's and women's organization have gotten wind of this and have gone on the record objecting to it. On June 20 four prominent groups penned and sent a letter to Governor Evers objecting to the plan and requesting his veto.

28-Jun-19
So sincere question- of the various hunting groups in the state, are any of them prepared to litigate this if it passes? This would be a great example of what paying membership fees could be used for.

28-Jun-19
I hope my above comment sums up the controversy and helps explain the situation. I know this is not all that can be said about it and perhaps parts could have been explained better, but that's the way I choose to say it at 4:45 a.m. on a Friday morning. I certainly invite all comments and hope others can further clarify the issue. Now, back to bed for forty more winks before the day really begins.......

28-Jun-19
I have not read about this study so do not know what it hopes to achieve. If the purpose is continued research and an effort to find a cure for CWD, it seems that penned deer would make for the easiest and most cost effective studies. Scientists routinely use caged populations of mice, monkeys and other animals for research so why would it be any different for them to use penned populations of deer?

28-Jun-19
I guess I will go out on my own to get difinative information since its clear the objection is more about private deer farms than what the actual $100,000 would be used for specifically. It seems that many are wetting themselves here over this minute budget provision all the while the new and improved Messiah in the east wing and his anointed disciple in GEF 2 have proposed absolutely nothing, squat, zip, zero nadda of hunter's $$$$ to combat CWD. Oh wait they are watching and waiting to see what the feds do. The up in arms objections, email letter writing campaign by some is nothing but a "pig in a poke". You folks are truly making a difference in the "war" on CWD carry on, carry on, but hey; "this is what the public voted for, right"?

Capt Mike + Spot on.

HF43

28-Jun-19
Grind that axe, grind it hard;)

28-Jun-19
Remember the 2000 deer baiting study that $1 million went to and still haven't a clue what happen to it. GH, on the up side the Wi. hunting and fishing money isn't going into the arts like here in Mn., but accountability needs to be answered by this type of funding.

28-Jun-19
People may want to consider that the Biennial DNR budget is north of 1.2 Billion and yet the "New and Improved Administration" could find no room for CWD funding in any way shape or form. I would think that some in the hunting community (including the 7 guys wetting themselves on Bowsite) might find that far more appalling than JFC spending 100K in private CWD research. Maybe the JFC thought that the "New DNR" had no interest in CWD anymore now that they got elected. That said my guess is this expenditure may have been placed into the budget to force the governor to "veto" CWD Spending which appears to be in direct conflict with his campaign pledge to wage war on CWD.

HF 43

28-Jun-19
Hunt I can assure you myself and other friends and I have expressed in writing both to the Govenor and to Cole, our disgust with the point you made...... I personally do not think that this administration will do anything either, than the last one....

How cool would it be, to have a Govenor and a DNR head, that actually spent a lot of time in their life, in the field, hard core hunters etc,,,,,, those days are done...

I have to admit, you make valid points

29-Jun-19
Ground Hunter:

I have no issue with you or anyone contacting their elected officials in an effort to influence policy. Being informed and engaged is what the hunting public should be. I very well may be right their with you on this issue however the only real information and objection put forth here is really where the funds came from and to whom it is going to. I can find no reason to object, nor a reason to support at this point. That said could the research be valid? Might deer farmers and hunters have a mutual interest in CWD research for the common good?

Since you compared administrations, I had to respond. The former ran on a platform of appointing an outside review of the DNR Deer Policies and Deer Management as well as a more passive approach to CWD that did not include an all out slaughter of the deer herd. This was supported by the sporting public. The New administration ran on a perceived mismanagement of CWD and a promise to go after CWD hard by allocating significant resources after all its their # 2 priority according to the New DNR Secretary (appointed). In the end one administration ran on a deer platform and delivered on that promise. The new administration promised a laser approach and has proposed nothing except watching, wondering, waiting to see if the federal government will fund his political promises. In the end one man made good on his political promise while the other pandered. I would finally ask, who has played politics with CWD and the deer herd for their own gain, the old regime on the new and improved one?

In closing its amazing that this thread and the issue of 100K being spent on CWD is actually an issue. My prediction is this proposal will be lined itemed out of the budget. When it does many will come back here just to claim victory. Ironic that the WI-DNR rakes in millions of sporting $$$'s annually yet could find nary (not a single) penny in the next two year budget cycle to combat CWD. I doubt the "Resident Bowsite Blowhards" have/or will lift a finger in that regard. Their far-far to busy fighting the "real war".

HF43

30-Jun-19
Interesting

30-Jun-19
Hunt I have to admit you make a good argument, and your facts are correct.... I for one did vote for Walker, and did again for the last agenda...... I thought Walker was wrong on the CWD issue, wrong on not having an independent run the DNR,, and wrong on most conservation issued...... However, he was right on spending a lot of money in this state, and other issues.......

I am not impressed with Evers, and again, he so far has only ordered a plan from Cole that must be delivered in August.........

In many respects, the politics of this state, has hurt most conservation issues..... But I will stand by, I do not want any public money, going for private funding..... The DNR has done a lousy job, on a lot of issues

The DNR has also wasted a lot of money on nonsense studies,,,,,, I mean a million dollars to study predation on the SW landscape,,,,,,

I would say your last post is so well written, you should forward that to both Durkin from WON and Paul Smith from the MIlw Journal

Respectfully

• Sitka Gear