Mt. man 26-Jun-19
MuleMan 26-Jun-19
MuleMan 26-Jun-19
Machias 28-Jun-19
c3 07-Jul-19
MuleMan 09-Jul-19
c3 10-Jul-19
26-Jun-19
How many cameras do you guys put out? Does anyone put more out just to catch thieves? And if you catch someone what do you do with their photo?

26-Jun-19
I usually put out 4 cameras in the summer months and I generally pull them out the 1st hunting trip in. I think it lessens the chance of a scumbag taking them during the season. Mine are purely to see what is moving around the area and on a lead up trail to a wallow or something. I have had friends get camera's stolen, but I have been lucky so far. With that said I also put 2 camera's at each location. One as a scouting tool. The other is generally a few yards away watching the 1st camera. In hopes that if someone tries to take the scout, I'll get a pic and will BLAST them all over the internet for sure. Taking others stuff is just pure SCUM. I haven't had a chance to get out yet this summer and now that I know the draw results I hope to get a day to go soon.

26-Jun-19
I do have a friend who has pictures of a local "Production" group that didn't steal his camera's, but his 2nd camera caught them sneaking up to his "SCOUT" camera and pulling HIS SD Card looking at his scouting pictures, then putting the SD Card back. Basically stealing his scouting info. He has said he is just waiting until they really make him mad to expose them, but take a wild guess of who was back on the wallow on opening day with all their camera's in tow? Desperate for that "HERO, look at ME" shot I guess.

26-Jun-19
Those are good ideas. I like two cams as well. We had some activity on our cameras from some individuals this spring. They were in the area more than once. We got a photo from our hidden camera that they don’t know about. The bad thing is we have had conversations with this group and felt secure about them. Some people really prepare for getting into cams that have padlocks on them!!!! We are in contact with fish and game about this incident.

26-Jun-19
Those are good ideas. I like two cams as well. We had some activity on our cameras from some individuals this spring. They were in the area more than once. We got a photo from our hidden camera that they don’t know about. The bad thing is we have had conversations with this group and felt secure about them. Some people really prepare for getting into cams that have padlocks on them!!!! We are in contact with fish and game about this incident.

28-Jun-19
I had a cheap one out last fall and got two guys on the camera. They were looking at the camera. I normally put them up higher, with a ladder stick. This one was waist high because of the side of the hill slopping away. I switched it out with a much nicer camera, with a steel box and a cable lock. Sure enough camera was stolen. What really made me mad is normally I have a security code, but the camera had been acting up so I reset the settings and did not put the security code back on. Grrrrr, first one I ever had stolen.

07-Jul-19

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
I always look at peoples cards on their cams if they're not locked up. Don't think there's anything with it. Totally different story if you're messing with their stuff but that's not what I'm talking about here.

Found a guys cam broken off the tree on my San Juan elk hunt in 2010 and mentioned it here, plus what I saw on it when looking at his card. Even said I'd erased all the pics of the sky it took filling the card. I strapped it back on the tree with a pic of me and someone gave him my number. Been good aquaintences since.

Luckily being an idiot most of the time where no other person would go has it's advantages. This is how I found my keys for my new 4K cam yesterday hahahahahahaha

I did get 900 pics in the first 14 days and 700 something video's of elk, deer and a cougar in the next 12 days up there so far !!!

Cheers, Pete

09-Jul-19
Thanks Pete

Our locks were cut off. A card stolen.

On a side note is that Vernon unit holding a good chance for a good early archery buck?

10-Jul-19
That's a bummer MuleMan :(

I've only been out on the Vernon a few times. It used to be an amazing deer hunt with a bow, but they are giving lots of tags these days.

I have a friend who has the archery tag this year and should be doing a few scouting trips. I'll let you know what we come up with this summer and fall.

Cheers, Pete

• Sitka Gear