Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
bigwoodsbucks22 28-Jun-19
Ungie01201 28-Jun-19
Eastie778 28-Jun-19
Will 28-Jun-19
Huntskifishcook 28-Jun-19
28-Jun-19
Im switching arrows this year and it has me thinking about fletching. Seems like a lot of people are switching to 4 vanes now. My questions are this... Who shoots 3 vanes, who shoots 4 vanes, and why? Follow up question... what kind of vane (ex. 2", 4", low profile, high profile, etc.)? and why that vane set up. Looking to learn as much as I can about vane selection.

28-Jun-19
I have some fletched with three 4" Gateway Feathers (yes I still shoot feathers) and some others fletched with three Blazer vanes. I have never shot an arrow with four.

28-Jun-19

Eastie778's embedded Photo
Eastie778's embedded Photo
I shoot 3, blazer vanes, never tried the 4, so I really cant speak on effectiveness. I fletch with the Arizona ez with the right helical, and once you get the hang of it, is a great little tool. I feel like that right helical really gets those shorter hunting shots, 20 to 30 yards, on target quickly. Something cathartic about a late summer, early fall afternoon fletching arrows, and becoming absorbed in the preparation.

28-Jun-19
Agree'd with Easties preparation comments.

I've always shot 3, with a solid helical. I dont know the degee anymore... it's as much as my fletching jig will allow without the fletching adhering poorly. I found that sweet spot years ago, and have not adjusted it in... maybe 15-20 years... ooph!

At this point I stick to 3 (blazers) because they work well for me and I have a bunch as a result of buying 100 vane packs. That said, I see a number of guys going to 4 fletch so it's had me curious at times. At this pint though, my rest wouldnt work with 4 fletch, so until a new bow happens I wont even consider it.

My gut though, Dan, says that it should stabilize better given more surface area thus more drag on the rear of the arrow. But at the ranges most hunt at, is that needed? No clue!

If you make your own, fletch a couple 4 fletch arrows and do some comparisons to see - accuracy? Have a friend "super slow mo" video you shooting from just over your shoulder (from behind) and watch flight in the videos... If it's better for you, it's better.

One thing I definitely like, is that you add material back there increasing visibility of your arrow. Less of an issue with a lighted nock, but still a positive.

28-Jun-19
My arrows are fletched with 3, 2" blazer blazers with a left helical, matched up with a left bevel broadhead. I have never shot 4 vanes, and just started fletching my own last year. I started fletching left just because I found a killer deal on a bunch of left bevel broadheads.

Wired to Hunt just had a great podcast, maybe you've heard it already, with Andy May. He goes into great detail with his arrow preparation. One of the things he mentioned was testing his arrow out of his bow before fletching. In his case the arrow naturally wanted to rotate to the left without fletching, so instead of forcing the fletching to correct the arrows natural tendency he switched his helical direction and noticed tighter groups. I certainly haven't gone to that length, but it might be something worth checking out.

• Sitka Gear