travistroop 24-Jul-19
travistroop 27-Jul-19
Notme 28-Jul-19
HolePuncher 28-Jul-19
Will 29-Jul-19
Garbanzo 29-Jul-19
soapdish 29-Jul-19
02-Jul-19
Red oaks in my yard are producing acorns for the first time in 3 yrs. Could we actually get a mast crop this year? Anyone else seeing good production yet?

02-Jul-19
I hope so. Last year was awful.

02-Jul-19
We had plenty down this way past two seasons

23-Jul-19

24-Jul-19
Why would you guys want a mast crop? I like it when you gotta find the trees producing. During a mast crop it seems like they dont move because food is everywhere.

24-Jul-19
"Why would you guys want a mast crop? I like it when you gotta find the trees producing. During a mast crop it seems like they dont move because food is everywhere."

Because the season isn't here yet and it is something to talk about.

24-Jul-19
I'm the exception to the "rule" and have my best hunting years when there is a high mast, so I'm pumped to hear folks are seeing them. I've noticed some immature ones falling as well - hope it's a sign of at least an average year.

Though my favorite CT spots have some Hickory White Oaks and the deer LOVE those, so I'm hopeful this year there are some acorns in there!

24-Jul-19

SmoothieJonez's embedded Photo
SmoothieJonez's embedded Photo
Saw big bunches of small acorns yesterday while out on properties swapping sd cards in trailcams. Not sure if they are dropping early or most likely down because of the heavy rains the night before. Nevertheless, they are small but abundant.

24-Jul-19
I'm with Will, lots of acorns, lots of deer sightings. I don't have fields to hunt. Last three years, I've shot deer, but had to work my ass off for them. No acorns and they hit the neighbor's bait plot heavily, but the bait plot is a few hundred yards from where I can set up, so can only hope for one coming or going. I like transition zones, but they don't always transition where I hunt. There is a big swamp though, so that's a plus when i can get between the swamp and the neighbor.

24-Jul-19
Seen some beech nuts dropping

24-Jul-19
I'm hoping for a mast crop of beech nut in VT. I bought a bear tag this year for the first time. I'm going to try and pack in and hunt green mountain western style ??

27-Jul-19
Just did some scanning, I'm not seeing any acorns yet, but my walnut tree is definitely having a mast crop. This is out by Mohegan Sun

28-Jul-19

Notme's embedded Photo
Notme's embedded Photo
Nope no acorns here

28-Jul-19
lots of very small red oak acorns have been dropping heavily in the past few weeks here in the new Hartford area. the acorns have completely covered the grass in part of my yard. heat stress maybe?

29-Jul-19
I saw the pic. I laughed. Then felt a little dirty. Then thought, "wait, who posted that... Yep, Notme... that's what I thought..." :) ha ha ha!

Scout with bino's at this point, I'm seeing a good number of trees with a good number of acorns up here... (in the crown, just a few immature ones being blown down in storms)...

29-Jul-19
I try to think Long term.. High mast crop levels may dampen deer travel during hunting season, but fatter does should have better survival rates if we get a harsh winter which should translate into more deer for subsequent seasons.

29-Jul-19
Kinda thought someone would have put up "Deez nuts"

• Sitka Gear