Need some insight
Oklahoma
Contributors to this thread:
Luthcat09 04-Jul-19
OK Cowboy 05-Jul-19
OneEye 08-Jul-19
Luthcat09 08-Jul-19
04-Jul-19
Evening...need some advice regarding Central OK. My son and I have an opportunity to come out to OK second week of bow season. Though I have lived in many states, I didn’t start hunting until well into my adulthood...in which case I have only hunted in IN. My best friend lives in Central OK near Amber and has invited us to come hunt his property. Approximately 150 Ac, and from what I can tell via OnX and google, couple of funnels, some water and sporadic vegetation. Just looking for some tips for Central Ok...bedding habitat, types of food, etc...From what I can tell there are a couple of small pine groves, and some hardwoods, with neighbors that appear to hunt (can see blinds via google earth) to the east. Much of it is cattle and horse pasture, with water on all 4 sides of the property. Couple of funnels, the biggest is shared with neighbors, and it appears neighbors have food plots. Frankly, don’t care if I harvest but this will be my sons first year bow hunting and would love to have an idea for him. Any advice on Central OK topography, and vegetation would be great.

Thank you

05-Jul-19
I grew up hunting mostly 40 or so miles to the west. You will not have any pine trees there. There may be some eastern red cedar outcroppings. The oak trees may be dropping a lot of acorns this year. You may also have a lot of wild hogs in the area hitting the acorns. If there are peanut fields around, the deer will travel 2 to 3 miles for the peanuts, and you will be there for the prime time of peanut harvest. The deer may be heading back to their bedding areas and remain active until mid morning this time of year. Don't be surprised to see deer crossing open fields with native grass at 9 or 10 am heading back to the brush.

Some of the oak outcroppings may not be tall enough for a treestand, but the cheap ameristep blinds do great tucked up under an oak tree even if not brushed in. Just be sure to spray it down with Deadwind Down to kill some of the new odor, or odor from storage. We have deer come within 3 yards when we use a blind, and my son took a doe when he was 12 at 13 yards. Have fun and good luck. I have got to figure out Osage Western Wall for myself and son, Ft Gibson WRP for my son(1 day youth muzzleloader) and daughter (1 day archery), and the Witchita Mtns for my wife.

08-Jul-19
Here’s something I started doing a few years ago. If there are a lot of cedar trees you can find a big one but doesn’t have to be too big. Climb up it 12 to 16 feet and cut a couple of limbs off until you have enough of the trunk exposed to hang a tree stand and have a little head room. Then carefully trim away just enough of the tree for shooting lanes and bow clearance. Take the trimmed limbs and stuff them into the tree behind you to fill in the open places that were made thinner by hanging the stand. You’ll probably get some extremely close shot at deer this way too. I’ll admit that it’s easier to go with the pop up blind but this is another option that really works.

08-Jul-19
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate you taking the time. Have a good season!

• Sitka Gear