Jon Stewart 11-Jul-19
ground hunter 14-Jul-19
keepemsharp 02-Aug-19
keepemsharp 02-Aug-19
BIG BEAR 02-Aug-19
keepemsharp 03-Aug-19
keepemsharp 24-Aug-19
07-Jul-19
This old bowhunter and his wife intend to come roam around Michigan later this month. No real plan other than to get up to the UP and to avoid Detroit. Any suggestions from you folks will be appreciated as to places to see. Thanks

07-Jul-19
Pictured rocks boat cruise. Mackinaw Island.

07-Jul-19
Tahquamenon Falls. Those are all a great place to start. Much farther to the west in the U.P.,, the Porcupine Mountains.

07-Jul-19
What BB is saying. The Soo Locks are pretty cool and the museum at Whitefish Point also.

07-Jul-19
Thanks for the ideas folks keep em coming we are flexable.

07-Jul-19
Here is what I would do,,,, but it depends on how much time you have.... I would cross the bridge, and enter the center of the universe.... I would head west on 3 and enjoy the northern Lake MI coastline///// at the end of the month the National Trapping Association convention will be in Escanaba,,, lots of neat stuff, but crowded/////

I would swing up to Crystal Falls and visit the Trading Place down town, not much there, but this place is a gem, if your looking for Marble knives and Fred Bear stuff

I would go east on 2 and head across the lower of the UP, and take a right on FR 16 and go to Kenton MI,,,, great bar and lunch, and would go across the street to the sport shop,,,,, just going in there you will have find

I would now go west and go to Bergland, and stop in the Kon Ti KI bar, where the bowling alley is up above the bar, the supper club is open, all year, and while you eat let the bears entertain you as they come in to play with the licorice ball, on the swing set... v I would head north, passing thru White Pine, and continue all the way up thru Octonogon and head for Silver City...... lots to see and do,,,,,,,

Then I would go east again along Superior, and if you like to fish trout, a ton of feeder creeks to go into,,,,,, I would stop a short drop down to Baraga, gamble and great gun shop and go to the VFW bar in LaAnse,,,,,, also great fishing in the port all summer and charters for a half day available

Heading to Marquette well quite a lot to do, and next month when the NE winds are in I will be there kite surfing....... go east along the Lake, and go and have fun till you hit the So St Marie, and if you want to take a train trip for the day into Canada you can, no pass port needed for that than you can head back down,,,,,,,,

Have fun

07-Jul-19

Deadeye's Link
Good list of things to see ...

08-Jul-19
Drive up the west coast. Plenty of nice places to see up to the bridge. If you like authentic polish food, Legs Inn, in Cross village is as good as it gets. Mackinac City and Island is OK but a big tourist trap. UP is Ok especially the places that have been mentioned. I just spent 2 days in Norwood, Michigan which is south of Charlevoux. there is an indian site there and I gathered knapping rock and a half a bucket of Pestoskey stones. Cherries are getting ready north of Traverse city and there are plenty of little spots to buy them. Lots of wineries in that area as well. The west coast is much nicer than the east coast for sandy beaches and things to do. Enjoy Michigan.

09-Jul-19

Old Dave's embedded Photo
Old Dave's embedded Photo
Head up the Keweenaw peninsula, and paddle your kayak around Copper Harbor for a while. Turn the big wheel on the raft in Kitchi-Ti-Kipi, just west of Manistique. (Big trout down there, eh?) Take your fly rod to the Two Hearted River; drink a couple of Two Hearted Ales. Sleep with the window open, so you can hear the waves break on the shore. Enjoy the Yooper hospitality.

09-Jul-19
Don't forget to eat some Pasty's when your up in Gods Country! Man I miss those.

10-Jul-19
Really enjoy all this input and will be there in a couple weeks. Still have a couple questions about MI reciprocal ccw with Ks. Would appreciate how we can remain legal. Also about firearms in vehicles? Thanks folks for the help and advice.

11-Jul-19
Just be careful when traveling thru Illinois with a gun. Not sure about reciprocity in Michigan. You may want to call the Michigan State Police office in Lansing and ask them about that. I have an unrestricted conceal carry permit and still put my handgun in the trunk while traveling.

11-Jul-19
Michigan will recognize your Kansas CPL. You are good to go with your pistol anywhere in your car with your CPL. Just make sure that if you get stopped for speeding or anything.... to tell the Officer immediately that you are a CPL holder and you are armed.

Like Jon said. Your area of concern when it comes to that topic is Illinois.

11-Jul-19
Thanks folks, we are looking forward to the trip.

11-Jul-19
You are going to love it here in Michigan. I can only speak of the west side of the state as that is where I live but it is a great time of then year to wonder around. Cherries should be ready for you also.

14-Jul-19
Whatever you do ,,, do not miss the Kee na waw peninsula,,,,,, fishing is great..... best jam makers in the world, pretty good local brew also

02-Aug-19
We had a nice time and enjoyed the cool, thanks folks.

02-Aug-19
Our only disspointment was Machinac island last Sunday. Soo crammed with people, cycles, horses and people with BIG dogs. Had a great time on a couple horse rides on state and fed land. Wife loves to shop but decided the shops looked neat but were soooo crammed we just bought some ice cream and headed back. Had a nice place in St. Jskce. got to feed birds on our back porch.

02-Aug-19
Good stuff Dave !! Did you carry your pistol or decide to leave it home ?? I felt naked without mine in Niagara Falls with my wife last weekend.

03-Aug-19
Didn't carry much but it was nearby.

24-Aug-19
Did eat a couple pastys, can't eat a whole one without help.

• Sitka Gear