Thornton 09-Jul-19
writer 09-Jul-19
Thornton 12-Jul-19
Kansan 12-Jul-19
Kansasclipper 12-Jul-19
08-Jul-19

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Photo supposedly taken near Baldwin City possibly July 1 of this year.

"It's out west of Vineland about a mile. West and a bit south of the Stanley farm."

I did a Google image search and was unable to find other copies of this on line.

08-Jul-19
I think that was a couple years back

08-Jul-19
I was told by a family member that trail cam pictures were taken of a bear near Labette City last month. That would be a few miles SE of Parsons.

08-Jul-19
If bears got into the Chautauqua Hills, they would flourish. We've said this among friends and family for years. Bears are a conservation success story in Eastern Oklahoma and the terrain is quite similar. With all the "jack oaks" down in that part of the world, it would be awesome to see them back in the Kansas. It would be incredible to have them as a game species down the road.

08-Jul-19
They definitely are fun to hunt. They do a number on the deer numbers but nothing like coyotes.

08-Jul-19
Would believe it more if discovered near the Labette County area since that isn’t too far from Okla bear populations. To think it could have come from near Baldwin City or Vinland seems highly unlikely unless someone’s exotic pet bear got loose or something.

08-Jul-19
Black bears have been seen in several places in KS, but with the number of trail cameras that are out now, if there were more than an occasional wanderer I think they would be getting photographed.

If this report is two years old, was there any real credence given to it at that time? Any factors to support that it was at this location?

08-Jul-19
I searched too, can't find a thing. The pic, and the quote about the "Stanley Farm" just made me think I'd seen it before. I'm quite likely wrong, but there's one guy here who will know for sure when he see's this post.

09-Jul-19

Thornton's embedded Photo
Bears have always wandered through KS just like the lions and elk. Here's an article from the 60's of a bear killed in KS. The late owner of D&J Sporting Goods in Eureka said he had a small black bear climb a tree next to him by Otter Creek in Greenwood County the first year KS had a deer season.

09-Jul-19
The way bear populations have spread from Arkansas, and into southern Missouri and eastern Oklahoma is well documented. There are confirmed breeding populations not far from portions of our eastern and southern border. The same for the Black Mesa area of northwest Oklahoma. Very little of Kansas is good habitat, though. J.R. Mead hunted them in the Red Hills in the 1870s. Agree on the black jack oak country because of possible denning sites. Would be neat to see one.

12-Jul-19

One by Joplin

12-Jul-19
They’re common in southern Missouri and eastern Oklahoma. Doesn’t surprise me at all to hear about them in Kansas. I hunt in the Chautauqua Hills, and I agree that it sure looks “bearish”. Never seen one around here though. Hogs on the other hand...

12-Jul-19
Been several in the Joplin area the last couple of years. I got a picture of one in Seneca last week. I was lucky enough to see one in crawford county back in the mid 70's. Stood up in the road then got down in the ditch and ran along side of us. Inside of 10 yds from the vehicle.

• Sitka Gear