EmbryOklahoma 11-Jul-19
swampokie 11-Jul-19
OneEye 12-Jul-19
OK Cowboy 12-Jul-19
swampokie 12-Jul-19
OneEye 13-Jul-19
OK Cowboy 15-Jul-19
09-Jul-19
I am from Wisconsin looking to come hunt hogs with a couple buddies. We have heard that Red Slough WMA and Hugo WMA have good numbers of pigs. What is the best way to hunt them in a weeks time? That is probably to short a window to bait them. Do we try good ol' Wisconsin deer drive techniques? Spot and stalk? Find water and take a stand? Any time of year better than another? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

09-Jul-19
Hunt at night. However don't think that is legal on public. :) Really though the one guy I know that is consistently successful baits like crazy and only hunts after dark. You have to be registered with the wildlife dept to do that. Even though there is an abundance of hogs, they are mostly nocturnal. I have hunted a lot of hog infested stuff, seen a lot of sign , but truthfully have never seen a hog in the daytime. Don't want to discourage you, but it is not an easy hunt. If you had enough guys driving them may work.

10-Jul-19
One thing that works for us on my dad's place during mid day is to walk in on them while they are sleeping. Work your way up wind being fairly quiet. You can walk in the middle of them before you realize it, and the babies start running around. You may be able to smell them first. If you find them, you can maybe plug 1-3 before they leave out. They love their bedding area, so if you leave out silently, and come back in an hour or two, you can get more even with dead hogs laying around them. We have killed 5 in one spot in a three hour period returning a couple of times. It is crazy that if you shoot them over bait that they will disapear from the property for a couple of months but you can keep hammering them in their bedding area in the same day. One of the ones I got was in self defense of my 14 year old daughter where momma hog was growling 3 yards away at her on the other side of a bush, and babies were running around on the other side of us. The other kills were all within 10-15 yards.

11-Jul-19
I have buddies come down on my place every year in Feb/Mar and we stalk slowly with the wind in our face. Knowing the land shortens the learning curve too. I've killed a BUNCH over the years so I'm just pointing directions and they are flinging arrows. Like OK cowboy said above, if you find a possible bedding area for a sounder of pigs, you can go back later and they will be around. We did that very thing in March of this year where my buddy killed a big boar as we snuck in on a group and then two hours later the sows came back and he killed a sow that had piglets. Next day we hit some thick bedding/feeding areas and ran right into another sounder and he killed the lead sow.

The absolute best time to hunt them is between end of deer season (Jan 15) and before everything greens up (April) and the bugs take a hold. Also, like said above, they are nomadic and you need to cover some ground some times to find them. They love to get out in fields and root once things start to thaw a bit and the ground isn't too hard. Also... if i had to pick a perfect day to spot/stalk hogs, it would be overcast, cool and windy. Preferably after a rain. Also... an FYI, you cannot bait on public land.

11-Jul-19
I know a lot about the two WMA's u mention. Im actually on one or both of them every week. Usually everyday. Covered up with pigs and in a week you will find them. Shoot me a pm and I will try my best to introduce u to an Oklahoma porker.

12-Jul-19
If you’re going to hunt on department managed lands, there is a regulation that says you can hunt hogs during daylight hours but you are only allowed to hunt during a legal hunting season and have to be using a weapon legal for that season. So you might not be allowed to carry a 30-30 around outside of deer rifle season. It does list rifle as a legal method for rabbit but I couldn’t find any limitation on caliber. I’m all for exterminating the hog population so good luck.

12-Jul-19
Coyote hunting is legal year round.

12-Jul-19
On mentioned wmas u can use a centerfire anytime outside of the oct1-jan15 deer season. Also must use turkey legal shotgun during open turkey season. Coyote season rules are to be followed any other times of the year. When people ask me the best time to hog hunt public I tell them feb and march.

13-Jul-19
I forgot about coyote. Shoot all of them, too.

15-Jul-19
I personally got a recurve bow for hog hunting when walking into their bedding. I can get more shots off being silent than one shot with a gun.

• Sitka Gear