Tweed 30-Jul-19
Reggiezpop 30-Jul-19
Franklin 30-Jul-19
Reggiezpop 31-Jul-19
Live2hunt 01-Aug-19
Reggiezpop 01-Aug-19
Franklin 01-Aug-19
10-Jul-19
Anybody have any advice for when they altered their grip? I’ve always shot with the textbook “worst” grip, with my hand completely around the grip. All fingers holding on. I’ve learned to be a great shot like this, but too many odd arrows because what I imagine is torquing. I’ve switched to the “proper” V style grip, and had to sight my bow in again. I’m shooting decent groups, but it’s uncomfortable as heck. Any tips or advice is appreciated. I’m guessing it just becomes muscle memory and will feel natural with time? Also, should I get one of those wrist straps with this new grip style? Thanks in advance!

10-Jul-19
I was taught to put the hand through wrist strap, put release on loop, rest bow limb on knee, pull bow handle up to hand tight, then raise your bow. Technique is lost when all you have to do is raise to shoulder and fire the gun.

10-Jul-19
That’s exactly what I’m looking at learning, Treefarm! Need to get used to a shot sequence, which I currently don’t have!

11-Jul-19
If you have never shot with a wrist sling I can see how you may have developed the "whole hand" grab thing. I try to make sure the bow grip is in line with the bones in my wrist and arm....this requires a very slight wrist cock outwards. This also set a slight bend in my bow hand elbow and clears my forearm from any string contact.

It may seem new but in time it will feel natural and you will like it in the long run. This new style of yours should reduce tension and torque in the future. Change takes time.

11-Jul-19
Are you shooting wrist high, straight or low?

11-Jul-19
Going with low!

11-Jul-19
Low wrist grip = IMO, the best there is. Be sure to avoid "heeling" bow, that can cause major problems! Also, make sure wrist strap is loose around wrist when at full draw.

11-Jul-19
I agree, Case. Even though the grip position is new to me, my bow is all over the place with a high grip.

11-Jul-19
Reggiezpop - Try lightly touching just the tip of your middle finger to the backside of the grip, keeping your hand relaxed.

It helps keep you from subconsciously trying to “grab” the grip right after the shot.

11-Jul-19
When I shot compound I always used a sling. I kept my had relaxed during the whole shot process letting the bow jump forward onto the sling. It keeps you from putting any torque on the bow.

11-Jul-19
I always used to shoot with a high wrist. A few years back when I purchased a Mathews Halon, and went to a mechanical release, I could shoot get consistently with the high wrist. I was told to place the part of the thumb pad where the bone from the forearm is against the center of the grip on the riser. Then I simply relax my fingers and the rest of my hand around the riser. When I shoot, the hand and fingers remain relaxed, but encircle the riser enough to catch the bow at the shot without any chance of torqueing. This was quite awkward at first, but within a week felt quite comfortable and improved my consistency tenfold.

11-Jul-19
One other point, look how grips have morphed. I remember my old Bear recurve had a wooden handle that was huge. Today, handles are small.

One other point. Just let bow tip in your extended hand. Listen for the arrow to hit the target before ever moving arm from horizontal.

All good suggestions guys. This is what spurs Bow in Bowsite.

11-Jul-19
Are all wrist straps made alike? Or are there some you fellas would suggest?

11-Jul-19
All wrist straps are not made alike. Some area braided nylon cord (in various sizes), some are sort of a rope material, some are flat nylon straps, and some are leather straps. They can have a buckle, Velcro, snap, or heavy leather attachment system. Some attach by adhesive, others fasten to the stablizer, and some strap on to the lower riser. Lots of different sizes and configurations, some I am sure I have not mentioned. Right now I am using one with a heavy leather piece that fits onto the stablizer and then the braided nylon strapping fits through it a couple of times to lock it on...forgot the name of it. On my recurve I just use a plain nylon strap I fit to a bolt in the stablizer bushing. Of course on my longbow,.....nada, no, zero wrist strap. Whichever wrist strap you eventually decide on, make sure it is loose when you're at full draw and aiming. It should not be tight at this time. It's purpose is to catch the bow and stop it from falling after you have released...it's purpose is not to hold the bow as you are aiming. It's purpose is to give you the confidence of knowing your bow ill not fly out of your hand and fall to the ground after the arrow has been released.

11-Jul-19
I like the one Case mentioned....the piece of leather has holes in it. You weave the braided paracord type material through a couple of holes and the friction keeps it in place. If you have to put on gloves you simply push the material through the holes to give you more slack.

No knots or buckles to deal with....costs about $10.

11-Jul-19
Thanks everyone for the advice. I stopped at my local archery shop and there definitely is a variety. They even had a “survival” one where you can cut it and something like 20’ of small diameter rope unwinds incase you need rope in an emergency.

12-Jul-19
Oh, and when you get used to shooting with the sling, don't forget to have it on when you shoot. It's not the best thing to see when your bow goes bouncing down the concrete!!!

30-Jul-19
So how's the new grip progressing?

30-Jul-19
Terribly lol! Accuracy is definitely improving, but it’s not where it was. I’ve found myself tensing up right before I hit the release. Need to work on that for sure. Just need to keep shooting daily

30-Jul-19
Oh boy....whatever you do don`t get the dreaded "TP"....we`re not even allowed to say the word. It`s like saying "shank" in golf.

31-Jul-19
Franklin- It seems like on some site I’m fine. Other shots, I grab the bow handle as I’m releasing. Trying to get down a good shit sequence to focus on.

01-Aug-19
Reggie, you shoot'n or shit'n. I have some advice on my shit'n sequence, but I would feel odd discussing it on this site?

01-Aug-19
Hahahahahahaha! That was just a reading test. You passed, Live2hunt!!!!

01-Aug-19
I hear you....I am shooting a different bow for a elk hunt which came on so dang fast, only 30 days out and I`m not totally dialed in yet either. Where does the time go.

I can`t imagine trying to change something you have done for so long....it has to be frustrating. I don`t think I could do it.

• Sitka Gear