Garbanzo 15-Jul-19
Shawn 16-Jul-19
Toonces 17-Jul-19
Newbie 17-Jul-19
Toonces 18-Jul-19
Bchrman11 21-Aug-19
Smoothdraw 22-Aug-19
14-Jul-19
Hey there! I've been practicing my shot for a little while now and would like to hunt this season, but have no idea where to start. My dad doesn't hunt, so he isn't sure how to help. Would anyone be willing to help me get my first deer this season? Thank you.

14-Jul-19
Welcome Robert. You definitely have come to the right spot, as there are some very experienced and giving people on this site. I am sure we all wish you much luck, but to help you out we need to know more info about you, your experiences, where you live and what you would like to achieve from hunting. There are no wrong answers here because we all hunt for different reasons so don’t be shy. Fill us in with more info and I’m sure over time you will meet some of the best people in the world right here on Bowsite. Welcome and good luck!!

14-Jul-19
Consider going to the DEEP Advanced Hunter Education classes. They are having a Deer Hunting one this year to go along with the Waterfowl, Small Game, Turkey and Butchering ones.

15-Jul-19
Newbie - first of all,.....can you hit the kill zone consistently and at what range? If you're effective at 20 yards DO NOT shoot at a deer beyond this distance. Respect the animal.

Take a look at the CT deer harvest report(s) and decide on a few areas where you'd like hunt. I like to spend a day driving around the entire area I've decided hunt so I can understand what borders the property. I also look for parking areas where most hunters would enter the woods and I try to enter from the opposite direction so as to use this to my advantage (let them push the deer towards me).

Then get your boots in the woods and scout, scout, scout. Look for game trails, old rubs on trees, old scrapes on the ground, oak trees, water sources, bedding areas, etc. Try to determine where they are coming from in the morning and where they're going to in the evening. Mark some trees for your stand in your GPS, but always remain flexible to change. Well wait for more info from you. Good luck.

15-Jul-19
welcome !

15-Jul-19
Welcome!!! What part of the state you from/looking at

15-Jul-19

Ace's Link
Remember that become a proficient hunter takes years, (or the case of some of the guys here, a lifetime) so don't get discouraged. You will have the opportunity to learn every time you step in the woods, so spend a lot of time in the woods.

Have you taken a Firearms or Archery Hunter Education class (and passed the test)? Those are required to hunt in CT. Classes are going on now if you haven't taken one.

An organization called the International Hunter Education Association (IHEA) is very involved with this effort. They write and publish a lot of the information used at the Hunter Education classes. Their website (at the link) has a wealth of information that you will likely find useful and informative.

If that link isn't working use this: www.HuntersHandBook.com

15-Jul-19
Thank you all for your responses! I'll go in order. Longbeard - I live in the North Haven area. I have absolutely 0 experience in hunting, so everything involved is foreign to me. When I say I'm a decent shot, I mean in a limited range (out to about 20 yards maybe), but I think this will improve and I will reevaluate when the season starts. I would like to hunt because I love outdoor activities and bowhunting seems like a fantastic challenge, as well as an opportunity to put some meat in the freezer. Obviously, I'd like to shoot a buck but from what I've read that can be asking too much for your first season.

Ace - Thank you! I'll see if I can sign up for one.

Bigbuckbob - Absolutely. I will evaluate my effective distance once the season starts and not shoot beyond that. I don't want to risk maiming the animal, as that is cruel. I will try some scouting but I have a feeling I have been doing it very wrong, as in the few attempts I have made I haven't seen any deer. I think I just need a starting spot.

Steve - Thanks!

Notme - General New Haven area, but could pretty much go in most areas (zones 6,7,8,12). Hopefully within an hours drive.

Ace- Thanks for the link! I am trying to spend time in the woods, but I have a job and college applications I am trying to finish before the season starts.

To everyone - I am very confused about the permit system. I went to buy a deer tag but couldn't find any for sale. Do I get a certain number of tags because I bought my deer archery license? Thanks everyone.

15-Jul-19
SWK - thanks!

15-Jul-19
SWK - Thanks for all your help!

15-Jul-19
Welcome to bowhunting (and the forum) Newbie. Keep learning - it doesnt matter how long you do this, the woods and deer will keep teaching lessons!

15-Jul-19
Newbie.... Quinnipiac River State Park is in North Haven and has a good amount of deer. It gets a lot of pressure so try to find spots that are a little harder to get to.

16-Jul-19

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Welcome to the site. We got a pretty good group with a ton of knowledge. If you have any questions just ask away. I'm fairly new myself as this will be my 4th season. If you need any basic starting supplies I'd be more than willing to help you out.. scent lock,dryer sheets, scents....

17-Jul-19
Hi Robert,

Good to hear from you.

Did you end up using DXT or something else?

17-Jul-19
Toonces - The DXT! I can't thank you enough. I had to get lower lb limbs, but it's working well.

18-Jul-19
Awesome, glad it worked out for you!

21-Aug-19
don't worry about the distance of the kill. I've been in tree stands where they walk directly below me. Its an art of being stealth. you will develop that skill and learn every time you get in a tree or blind. hunting takes practice, patience and passion. you get all those three and you will get a harvest. follow the laws in the hunters guide for CT. the game wardens will be out and believe me they know that book very well. some are cool and some want to hang you. best to get to know them. remember they deal with people with guns in the middle of the woods at night. so they to are on guard. plus they know you have a weapon. take it slow. read and most of all GO HUNTING. that's how you learn the does and don'ts. Good Luck don't get discouraged quickly remember your in their house and they know it better than you. But they taste real freakin good.

22-Aug-19
Do new hunters still have to take a DEEP archery hunting course before they can purchase a license?

• Sitka Gear