ohiohunter 24-Jul-19
Barrera 25-Jul-19
IntruderBN 25-Jul-19
ohiohunter 25-Jul-19
IntruderBN 25-Jul-19
ohiohunter 25-Jul-19
butcherboy 25-Jul-19
15-Jul-19
I was out last weekend poking around mainly exploring roads and figuring out where I might locate a pronghorn on public land.

I was driving a well-established 2-track on BLM land that I had accessed directly from a County road. No surprise a ranch truck shows up in my rear view mirror and the guy jumps out to ask what I was up to. When I told him I was exploring he said "all these two track roads are private". I used my phone to show him I was on BLM land and hadn't crossed any private to get to where I was and he said "ok, just be sure to close the gates".

He was nice enough and I didn't get the impression he was trying to harass me on public. I doubt he actually knew the boundaries between public & private land: it was all just part of "his" ranch. So that begs the question, when LO can sell unlimited pronghorn tags for their private property, how closely do you think those boundaries will be followed? I was in a quagmire of oddball mixed checkerboard public/private and in most cases the fence lines and roads had no relation to the property boundaries. So when Joe rancher sells a tag to Joe hunter and tells him "you can hunt anywhere in these 4 pastures" do you think Joe hunter will verify those pastures are chopped up with public shapes intermixed? Or that Joe rancher knows that? I suspect a lot of private land antelope tags are going to be used on public land...thoughts?

15-Jul-19
Wouldn't be the ranchers fault if it were used on public...

15-Jul-19
Smarba, IMO the new antelope aplus ranch wide agreements is going to be under enforced with private tags overstepping the contracts. Depending on where your at you'll get private pressuring the public tags away from areas. Just got to have all the documentation with you before hand. Hard part is I also have archery pronghorn public hunt this yr. Hunt starts Aug 4th here real soon and ranchwide list and maps still aren't available to the public. But they're selling otc pronghorn tags. Over the last decade of dealing with eplus uw I know what to expect and just learn to deal with it asap. I'm so pumped to have my 1st goat tag in about 13yrs so keeping a positive attitude for sure. Do your homework have your documentation when its available and you'll likely find pockets where other draw hunters wont access. So there are advantages sometimes if you keep up with all the rule changes. Good luck on your goat hunt!!

15-Jul-19
Welcome to you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent. If you don't know it is easy to get chased off. Two examples I can tell you about. One is hunting Marquez WMA in the middle of all the ranches and private land hunters thought they could hunt the WMA. Told them and the guide to get off as I had line of sight to cell towers so had cell service and started taking pictures with my phone. The other was a fence separating private and public with roads up both sides. One no trespassing sign and both gates locked, basically an upside down T. Had a blast calling G&F and cutting the lock with them there and then they went to talk to the LO about the "mistake".

I am sure many RO tags get used UW and many UW ranches don't allow free public access like their tag holders. Good luck on your hunt.

15-Jul-19
The LOs are not selling tags. The hunters buy private only tags from game and fish. They can only hunt on private land that they have written permission to be on. I guarantee that when I write that permission it will have the range/township/section info on it that the hunter is allowed to hunt. Where he goes beyond that is between him, Game and Fish, and whatever other LO he happens to get permission from.

16-Jul-19
Really? Yes, I assure you most everyone knows full on and well where the actual TAG comes from. I'm glad to hear you will cover your bases.... b/c, you, one person represent the other 1,000's. I love when LO's puff their chest, gets comical fast.

16-Jul-19
Intruder: If you are simply using range/township/section to describe where the tag is good for...then it's nowhere near accurate. At least in the hodgepodge mix of public/private where I was at the time, which is pretty typical in many units.

16-Jul-19
why wouldn't the legal description be accurate? i don't understand how the legal description of said property isn't accurate.

16-Jul-19

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
How are you going to describe (accurately) a place like this with range/township/section? This was just a random area on a map, but much of NM looks like this or worse.

16-Jul-19
Simple, i look at the legal description on the deed(s). Public isn’t on a deed. Point is: I want to be as accurate as possible. Don’t need a hunter telling someone else that I gave him bad info and unwittingly become part of someone else’s trespass action. That’s how we lawyers think. Luckily, we only have one small quarter section right by the house. The rest is whole sections.

16-Jul-19
Smarba, that map was populated using R/T/S information. Lots of hodgepodge is described like “NW quarter of SE quarter of section XX, Range YY Township ZZ. In other threads, I have implored that folks get familiar with that system. It’s extremely useful, especially if you want to know what land a particular LO owns (or does not own).

16-Jul-19
UTM is much easier to use than section, range, township. That is not the legal description however. Ever been in the woods and found a "bearing tree"? Those are used for sections, range, and township. I would much prefer using OnX maps to show where I am and land ownership. Beats the quadrangle maps I have from the 60's but those maps show roads that no longer exist and water sources that are no longer shown on maps.

17-Jul-19
Red, you can have onx maps overlay the section, range, township if I recall correctly. useful if you want to distinguish one private parcel from another.

18-Jul-19
It doesn't matter to me. I found many new electric meters in San Juan county at new wells by section, range, and township.

20-Jul-19
OnX Ol Ted Turner himself has state land marked "no hunting", sneaky ol ranchers...lol I called state office, sent them coordinates and they said "go hunt" .... Download your maps before you go and you'll be solid, most hunting areas have no cel reception.

22-Jul-19
That's the problem chuckles. No repercussions. Just "go hunt" instead of enforcing laws.

22-Jul-19
Exactly, LO's go completely unabated while a hunter's mistakes (granted it is a mistake) CAN be punished to the extreme. How many times have you talked to a GW about signage and whatnot and get the response... yeah we've been having problems with so and so LO's... WHY are repeat offenders granted sanctuary? But its hell and high water when a hunter corner hops and the LO doesn't like it.... I've not spent a long time in NM and I've seen enough and encountered enough to despise these immoral LO's.

22-Jul-19
Here’s an example.. one LO tried to decommission a county road, talked to GW and said yeah we know XYZ... we’ll make him remove the blockage. That’s it! In a situation like that could I have said I wish to press charges?

24-Jul-19

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
Another example I ran into hunting Barbary sheep several years ago ohio: one LO locks a gate on public land. "His" road curves and goes thru public and then onto his property.

He can legally lock the gate when it goes onto his property, but instead locks it where the road is still on public (see oval in my sketch).

The private fence on the right is posted to high heaven "private" "no trespassing" etc. There are no signs on the fence to the left where it is public but the road gate is locked. It was INENTIONALLY done to make it look like it's all private. We ran into NMDGF officer after mulling it over and ultimately deciding we weren't sure if the land had perhaps changed ownership. He said they had cut the lock a few times but gave up because the LO could legally lock it just 100 yards farther up the road anyway...say what?!

24-Jul-19
BS! 10000x over! Breaking the law is ok if you own land, yet they catch me on the other side of that fence all hell breaks loose and the law is in route. That officer is a disgrace to his position and his entire team.... sad part is most times no one cares but you [and "us"].

24-Jul-19
I love it when trespassers like ohio come on here and puff their chest. Gets comical real fast...

24-Jul-19
Or like a guy named "A"...

24-Jul-19
pucker up buttercup :-*

How about you give us those coordinates so I don’t accidentally end up on your property.

25-Jul-19
I think the issue lies with lack of enforcement to hunting rules that most us obey both private ranchers and public hunters. If gnf would take trespassing, locking gates, moving signs in wrong areas etc a serious matter then we wouldn't have these issues. Bummed that my 1st ever goat tag is 10 days and still no aplus ranchwide agreement list or maps. I called a few larger ranchers I suspected would be aplus from the eplus list and they kindly let me know thier status and denied access to locked public grounds even though they said their not aplus but RO. I will say the ranchers were very kind on the phone. I've come to not expect much out of enforcement through my own personal experiences, but just have my documentation and a cordless cut off wheel in the truck lol. I was surprised two yrs ago when I was locked out of a uw ranch how I was dealt poorly. Emailed pics of locked gate with ranches name on it, gps for easy location, eplus assigned # and thier own maps of the ranch. It can be a mess but our hunt yrs are to short to let jerks rob us of our passion.

25-Jul-19
Ohio, how would you possibly know how fast the law responds when you’re trespassing? Truth is, you don’t. Instead, you only assume that the law works AGAINST you and FOR those hated land owners. I guarantee the law sucks just as bad prosecuting trespass as it does enforcing denied access.

25-Jul-19
I am glad to hear you are so intimately familiar with my life experiences, if you’re lucky maybe some day you’ll get your wish of becoming Intimately familiar with me prison style... bc when I’m done you will love me :-*

25-Jul-19
Intimately familiar? Please. All one needs to see is how hyper emotional and misinformed your posts are to conclude that you’re nothing but a blowhard. Your last post just confirms that conclusion.

25-Jul-19
Try me ;)

25-Jul-19
This got disgusting really quick!

• Sitka Gear