Mnhunter1980 08-Aug-19
Mnhunter1980 08-Aug-19
Griz34 08-Aug-19
Mnhunter1980 08-Aug-19
Brotsky 09-Aug-19
Mnhunter1980 09-Aug-19
ground hunter 09-Aug-19
19-Jul-19
Sorry to come here with another question but the mostly reliable GFP has been failing lately when I call in. (I assume they hire boneheads in the months preceding and after the draw so the phone lines aren't lit up?)

As a NR hunting PRIVATE land do the same application deadlines apply to me? It seems all of the changes are relating to public land so I figured I would ask. Thanks in advance.

19-Jul-19
If you are only hunting private land then you have no deadline.

20-Jul-19
I went on line and bought a NR antelope license for sodak. It arrived tdy in my mail. Took about 7-10 days to get it, after I bought on line.

21-Jul-19
If I am buying a NR antelope tag and plan to hunt public land do I need to purchase by a certain date?

22-Jul-19
Aces, there is no deadline for the antelope permit. Can be purchased anytime online.

22-Jul-19
Thanks guys!

22-Jul-19
Thanks Brotsky!

25-Jul-19
I see the license fee did not change for non-resident Archery. What happened their?

25-Jul-19
Deerplotter, they don't make license fee changes until Sept/October for the following year. I would have to believe they will look hard at an increase in Big Game fees soon.

04-Aug-19
Can anyone tell me if I need an access permit to hunt private land only in the black hills for archery deer? I talked to a game and fish person in the phone . She said yes but hesitated and couldn’t tell me which free access permit I needed. Any help would be appreciated.

04-Aug-19
I'd just get the BLHAR to be safe. Our GFP has even confused themselves. I called and ask them an app question and the answer I got was totally incorrect.

04-Aug-19
you'll need the Black Hills one but i do not believe its out yet.

05-Aug-19
Yes, you will need the BH access permit. The folks answering the phones in Pierre aren't real up to speed yet on things. I've had a couple friends that have called with questions in the past few weeks and gotten totally inaccurate information as well. Lots of changes this year.

05-Aug-19
Sounds like I missed the aug 1st dead line for a bh access permit. I’ve been following changes for months to stay on top of the changes but apparently I missed this one. I bought my wr archery tag and an antlerless tag for private only on aug 2nd. Not knowing there was a deadline for a free unlimited access permit. Nice lady on the phone wasn’t able to help me so I’m waiting for a call from Pierre. Hopefully I can still get a permit since it’s the only people I know in SD .

05-Aug-19
I don't think you missed the deadline. As far as I know there is no deadline for the BH archery deer access permit. Just choose Access Permit Archery Deer 2019 Draw #1 then click on the Black Hills access permit and print it out. At least that's how easy it is for residents....maybe it's different for NR.

05-Aug-19
Ya unfortunately for non residents there is a deadline this year of aug 1st. I thought that since I was hunting private only I could get an access permit anytime . I was wrong

05-Aug-19
I need to change my answer again lol below is from the archery deer application:

- For residents, this permit may be obtained at any time throughout the season, and must be printed at home. Nonresidents can only get these permits if they obtain their archery license by Aug. 1. For more information, visit: gfp.sd.gov/hunting/big-game/deer/archery. aspx

Seems you are out of luck based upon this, stupid rule for folks hunting private lands, needs to be changed.

05-Aug-19
Thanks for confirming my worst fear brotsky;)i was told I would receive a phone call from from a higher up in Pierre today but as of now I have not. Soooo I can’t sit around waiting ,,, I fired off an email to Gary Jensen at game and fish pleading for understanding in my error . Hoping he will see the light and be able to issue us a free, unlimited bh access pass. I have been counting down the days since last sept to come back and hunt.

Or if that’s just not possible at least I could get my $366 back. I will just have to wait and see

05-Aug-19
That BH access permit for private doesn't sound right. If so, needs to change for sure. The access permit as I see it is to keep tabs on public land pressure and impact. No reason why anyone would need that on private land IMO.

05-Aug-19
If that is the case, why wouldn't they include that in the big red section at the top of the app labeled....CHANGES TO 2019 ARCHERY DEER SEASON? It shouldn't be so difficult to figure out the rules, we're not Montana.

06-Aug-19
DR, absolutely. The acces permit wording is that it is required anywhere within the BH rifle deer unit. That unit obviously includes the private lands in the Black Hills as well as the public. So that would mean you need the access permit, then the access permit language further restricts the issuance to only those who have bought the public lands tag by 8/1. It makes no sense, the access permit should only be required on public lands within the BH fire district. Easy change that would resolve the issue for guys like Joe. Hopefully the state does the right thing here.

06-Aug-19
I talked with a level headed guy from Pierre today and he agrees that it may be something that will have to be possibly changed. He was going make a couple phone calls and get back to me. Fingers crossed

06-Aug-19
i was looking for a muzzy access permit for the hills and apparently i do not need one? Cant keep track of all the people like that.

06-Aug-19
I looked hard for a black hills archery access permit until I realized it’s called black hills rifle unit no matter what season it is? Does that make sense?

06-Aug-19
Yup, that just means it's the archery access permit to hunt the black hills rifle unit.

07-Aug-19
I see that I can not now as a NR, hunt the month of Sept in your state. I understand concerns with state land, but how can you keep me off Federal lands, like in my state that belong to all of us??

If you draw for the Black Hills and Custer, but can not hunt Federal Owned lands, why is that? I thought they belonged to all of us...………….

Hunters against hunters,,, pretty sad

07-Aug-19
up until 10 years or so nobody could hunt in Sept with archery. Then it changed to last Saturday of Sept. Last year was the very first year we had a Sept 1 opener. Results of the past 4 years was a 100% increase in NR pressure. Your premise is flawed sir, you can come and hike or camp on any of this land. You don't draw Black Hills or Custer archery. Also, look at basically EVERY western state. The Jila in NM is federal yet I have a 1% chance of drawing. Nevada is 99% federal yet you have to draw all the tags (very low odds for most), Wy and MT general tags only allow you to hunt 1/3 - 1/2 of the state. It's done all over sir. Not hunter against hunter...SD residents attempting to protect the resource and experience for people who live here. To get a better feel for the state of things, I'd suggest asking someone ER that doesn't run a pheasant operation or profit from NR pheasant hunters how they feel about NR pheasant hunting and what it's done to resident opportunities.

08-Aug-19
Nobody's keeping you off federal lands ground hunter. They are open to everyone. The state of SD might not let you shoot her big game animals at certain times of the year but no one is keeping you from enjoying your public lands. Try going to Wyoming, you can't hunt federal wilderness areas without a guide, EVER, period. We are hardly hunter against hunter here. Frankly it sounds like whining at this point. I don't whine about the rules I have to follow in other western states I hunt, those are the rules of the game and if I want a shot at their resources I have to play by their management rules.

08-Aug-19
Update: fish and game agreed the deadline for the bh access permit on private doesn’t make sense. Sounds like the computer guys changed the system to eliminate the aug 1 deadline for private. Common sense is rare these days but evidently SDGF still has some

08-Aug-19
Great news Joe, I was hopeful they'd come through for you. Enjoy your hunt!

08-Aug-19

Mnhunter1980's embedded Photo
Should be fun
Should be fun

08-Aug-19

Thanks brotsky
Thanks brotsky

08-Aug-19

One more
One more

08-Aug-19
That's great, glad they fixed that. Good luck this season...it's not to far away now!

08-Aug-19
Thanks griz34! I need it as usual.

I have a feeling if I went through that with the MNDNR it would have been an ordeal to say the least. SDGF handled my situation well. Good luck to you guys as well!!

09-Aug-19
Joe, those are some great bucks! Are you planning to go after them in velvet? Hopefully you score on one! Since you're hunting private you are good to go for the 9/1 opener to score a velvet buck. New rules are confusing so jus wanted to make sure you knew you could roll 9/1 on private. Good luck getting one of those bucks!

09-Aug-19
Yeah I’m heading out hoping for one in velvet the first week in September. It amazes me how mature bucks move in daylight hours there. No pressure I guess makes a huge difference

09-Aug-19
Brotsky you missed my point,,,,, Tony Peterson has written a very good commentary in many states Outdoor News paper, about this precedent...... Too bad this is the route that is being taken,,,, that's all.......

• Sitka Gear