ground hunter 19-Nov-19
Firsty 19-Nov-19
rallison 21-Nov-19
21-Jul-19
For 51 years.

22-Jul-19
Have been for a number of years...

22-Jul-19
I have been shooting stick bows for over 25 years. The last time I pulled a compound back was in Nov 97. Shot my personal best buck at 8 yards. Felt like I cheated myself and lost ALL desire to ever use one again.

22-Jul-19
Went back to a Recurve 5 years ago. The compound has been collecting dust ever since. I didn't realize how much I liked archery till I went back to the traditional stuff. It put enjoyment back into it.

22-Jul-19
Another stickbow shooter here. My current weapon of choice is a 40# longbow.

22-Jul-19
I`m dabbling.....next year I hope to be deer hunting with trad gear exclusively. Still haven`t got the guts to give up the compound out west though.

22-Jul-19
I confess, I have transgressed into the hi-tech world! But of course I do mix it up with my longbow (which I had made for me just about five years ago) and a recurve (which I bought just over a year ago). Which is the most fun??? ...for sure, the stick! Reminds me of when I was a kid and that's all we had back then. Can't shoot the recurve or longbow like I used to...not as strong now...had to drop weight...getting too old...not as steady and my eyes are not so good anymore...the compound makes it so much easier...but there is something lost in that experience...it is just not the same...kinda like the difference between seeing a picture of a beautiful woman and actually having her right before you...I'm certain you all know what I mean...still though we do what we can. Hope you all shoot well,...no matter what you choose, longbow, recurve, or compound. Be well.

22-Jul-19
Well I love it all, always have, always will. I have fun no matter what I shoot.....I like to shoot at the Trad shoots though they are just a lot more fun, it seems, more connected compared to a open 3d shoot.

First and foremost I am a deer hunter, pure and simple. I chose the recurve in the early 80's once I shot a custom bow and had several. Although I can not shoot the weight today, I still like my 41 pound long bow. I also was able to recover to hunt, by being able to get my Hoyt down to 43lbs, and as far as what I can physically do its okay with my doctors.......

22-Jul-19
What does traditional exclusively mean? Are you talking about just the bow??? Or are you including all the other crap like cameras, gps mapping, heated shooting houses, utility vehicles, etc.... Define traditional.

22-Jul-19
Traditional bow = recurve, longbow or selfbow.

22-Jul-19
Been shooting a recurve for 60 yrs.. I also shoot a longbow now and then! I am 70 and still shooting 61#s! Haven't really thought about any other bow to hunt with or shoot! If it AIN"T broke, DON'T FIX IT! Good Luck this fall! Shoot'm true and shoot'm straight!

22-Jul-19
I shot "trad" before it WAS trad...lol. I dabbled in compounds through the late 70's, killed a lot of deer with em, but just missed the sticks. I've been strictly sticks since. Shot a couple Black Widows in the 65 & 70lb range for a long time, as well as the same weight on 2 Hill style longbows.

With age, I've dropped weight down to 53lb on 2 WhippenStick customs...Phoenix takedown recurve and a one piece RD longbow. That longbow is my baby! Love it.

23-Jul-19
bobbinhood x 2.

23-Jul-19
Wow bobbinhood, I can't pull that much if I were using my legs and arms!

23-Jul-19
I shoot two or 3 times a week! Love shooting my bow, is just a part of my day! Good Luck this fall everyone!

23-Jul-19
Kudos to all you trad bow guys. You are the only true archers IMO. We wheels shooting guys are hunters/shooters but not archers.

23-Jul-19
That crossbow certainly has become the “easy” button. Just push it and a dead deer appears.

24-Jul-19
John Jordan Stalker recurve, Dark archer 54inch recurve and Black hunter. Have a Zipper Z4 limbs super curve that I don't care for will let it go reasonable if someone is interested. Pm me for info.

24-Jul-19
Dirty one, you seem to be confusing firearms seasons with archery seasons. Not surprising for poorly educated, ignorant folk who talk long before they speak.

25-Jul-19
The Wisconsin Traditional Archers state shoot is coming up the 10th and 11th of August up at Rib Mountain.

25-Jul-19
I started shooting a bent stick at 6 years of age, progressed to a fiberglass bow at age 9. When the compound came out, I thought needed one; shot a c bow for 10-12 years but never let go of the recurve. Time does fly, so I'd say I've been shooting trad for 59 years.It was never called traditional archery, some of my tv show icons were Fred Bear and Robin Hood; and don't forget the native american. The native is at the top; being able to live off the land and be so quiet and sneaky. The true spot and stalk hunter. I'll carry my trad bow to my grave!

26-Jul-19
Been shooting a simple stick and string for going on 41 years this fall. I also rifle hunt with a buddy for a week every year, but the bow is my first love.

29-Jul-19
Been shooting and hunting fairly successfully with a recurve for about 40 years. At one point shooting a bruin at 70# and now a widow at 60#.

29-Jul-19
Ok so here's a question if I wanted to buy a lower priced all wood recurve for shooting targets in the yard where do I start? Long story short I have shitty shoulders from the Army and I shoot compound and crossbow but I want my kids to start off in as much of a traditional archery fashion as I can so I need to set the example. I think the fundamentals put the fun in hunting

29-Jul-19
You start by figuring out your draw length, and what weight you want the bow to be at your draw length. There are mass produced recurves and longbows on the market that wont break the bank. Sage is probably one of the more popular.

30-Jul-19
Chief, check Craigs list also. There are some good buys on there every once in awhile.

30-Jul-19
Make sure you get a bow that is light enough so it is VERY comfortable to shoot. You can always just use light arrows for targets. These will fly fast.

01-Aug-19
Yesterday four of us made the trip to Clintonville to the Wisconsin Bowhunters Heritage Foundation museum. I was the oldest. The other three were 11, 13 and 14. I enjoyed the museum much more than they did. It's hard to describe the museum because they have so much bow hunting history condensed in a small space. Lots of stickbows, lots of wheel bows, lots of arrow tips, lots of stuff. Too much to tell about. Definitely worth the visit. If you visit you will be pleased to find out one of our Bowsiters aka, casekiska has a significant input into this museum. Loved the story about the Jones cap. The kids enjoyed Roy Case bow, arrow and deer. That was 90 years ago he took that buck. Hard to believe the bow and arrow have been preserved. They also enjoyed the first turkey and first wolf in the museum taken by bow in Wisconsin.

02-Aug-19
Roy Case Started something good in WI many years ago. Across the border in MN the "easy button" folks are doing their best to kill it. Most recently now you have to wear blaze orange statewide during MEA (you know when you used to take the kids bowhunting). This is because of the statewide "youth" firearms season 17th-20 of Oct. So much for increasing BOWHUNTING opportunities for youth that time of year. They moved the youth Camp Ripley date too, no longer during MEA.

I have only taken two(2) whitetails with a bow while wearing orange. Pretty sure it doesn't work for turkeys either. May have to come back to WI the last place I exclusively hunted traditional bow. Son had a WI youth lisc. a few years back but wasn't successful-not for lack of trying. My son has tried most methods of archery loves his recurve, hunts exclusively with it. Even wrote his MN legislator stating his reasons for not allowing crossbows in regular archery season as part of a School/Boy Scouts project. (Hey HE chose the subject). Wasn't impressed with the response, basically blew him off as not something they could control. ("Really? who does make the laws then?")Daughter shoots a mean longbow, but just for fun-so far.

02-Aug-19
Nice post tonybear, good to see bow and arrow shooting in the next generation.

02-Aug-19
I started with a recurve and graduated to a compound, I found that it was easier to make a clean/quick kill with a compound rather than the recurve. I've heard from several people that have switched from compound to crossbow for the same reason, they now wound and lose less deer with the crossbow than they did with a compound. Personally I can't find fault in someone who has a goal of a clean/quick kill, but that's just me.

03-Aug-19

03-Aug-19
I agree, if one is not proficient in traditional hunting skills, best to stop bow and arrow hunting and use a scoped crossbow or gun. Wounding excessive animals is never a good thing.

03-Aug-19
I do not understand the dislike for the compound, or the attitude that if you use one your not an archer..... It is another discipline, that many say is so easy, but I bet most of those that say that, would find it hard to compete on the courses. It takes a lot of practice to be really good........ and also many deer are missed with the compound as well, its human nature, since your pulling the bow back...... I for one really enjoy shooting my compound, and I need to practice all the time.

I love my long bow, but its another discipline that takes a lot of practice and effort, and I have done well with that...........

I think Jake makes a good statement above. The ability to be out there is something one may take for granted, until something happens, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

03-Aug-19
This forum is about trad bows and x-gun should not even be mention in this one, Crossbow Nation is where to go, again the x-gun has their own season that is not license for archery. Please keep it to the topic on the bow site and the civility will be kept. Personally I could care less for the mechanical shooter, have no interest or respect to it, it is just a cheap way to accomplish the goal, just like using EPD in sports and takes away the dedication which the sport was made for. Want to enjoy being out in nature take your camera and shoot what you are looking for and enjoy it, leave the challenge of the sport to the ones that train for it. Jake, sorry for you physical issues, dealing with a real butt kicker myself and will not demean the sport that was design for, as long as I can still be effective with my recurve I'll still hunt with it but when no longer the Nikon will be in hand.- Good hunting to all that still use the stick bow, it is being a lost skill or novelty.

03-Aug-19
Before the compound was mass produced and pushed, most states had a yearly increase In bowhunting, it was doing fine and had steady growth with the recurve. The invention of the compound was its easier shooting, performance wise it wasn't that great at the beginning. As far giving the sport new life, the sport wasn't dead by any stretch. Keep the fingers on the string and thats where we can have a common denominator/dialog on what is or what shouldn't be for the most part. At least thats my take on it. When unable to shoot the recurve will step aside and mentor someone who is willing to put forth the effort and take it from there.

03-Aug-19
Jakey, no one expects you to like the WBH. You are not an archery hunter.

03-Aug-19
Jakey, such language!

03-Aug-19
Jake on the WBH your are wrong,,,, the only reason ANYONE, has the length of season they have, is BECAUSE,, of the WBH,,,, its that simple

03-Aug-19
Jakey, remember to take your meds. Your emotions are running wild.

04-Aug-19
Neverslice, hits too close to home? It is “hypocrisy.” Just trying to help you appear intelligent.

04-Aug-19
Guys who have old school traditional values for bowhunting are on the endangered species list. Archery has a lot of license buyers, but that doesnt show the true attitude and values of the "hunters". I wouldnt even call what we have anymore as an archery season. We are getting very close to a general anything goes, no limits hunting season. I think the majority of todays "hunters" will be quite happy when that happens. Everything is about money. As long as the money flows, someone will always justify why its a good idea for this or that. The only thing you can control is yourself. No doubt, the sport has turned into a big shit show. Move on.......

04-Aug-19
retro, I agree with what you wrote. The archery season is loaded with compound users like me and that makes it a bowhunting season and not an archery season. The one thing I disagree with is you called it a sport. It is not a sport. It is simply a hobby like bee keeping, butterfly collecting, food plotting, etc.

04-Aug-19
I think I’m finally going to sign up for the WBH today. Thanks for the nudge, Jake!

04-Aug-19
Definitely will with my fellow bow hunters...

04-Aug-19
Slicerbait, how can you suggest practicing grammar when you just posted the longest run on sentence in history riddled with spelling mistakes?

04-Aug-19
“Defineatly” and becoming efficient?” Lol, dumber than a box of rocks and constantly reminding those who may have had a doubt. C’mon you big dummy, I’ve got a group hug for ya, we are all in this together! Lol!!

04-Aug-19
Jakey, we are all in this together! I’d shake hands with you but don’t want to injure your trigger finger! Lol!!

04-Aug-19
Shooting and hunting with a stickbow is so much more fun than a compound. If more people would give them an honest try, Im sure they would find the same. I truly believe the biggest reason most guys hunt with the high tech stuff is ego. Many would never consider using a bow that tips the odds back into the animals favor. Stickbow range is a lot closer than compound range. People have been bombarded with the "trophy buck" brainwashing for so long that they cant see the forest for the trees anymore. God forbid if they had a big buck walk by out of stickbow range but they could have killed it with there compound. The mindset for trophy hunting is so cemented in people, that they actually look down on someone who shoots a buck that doesnt meet their standards. Thats pretty pathetic. High tech isnt going anywhere and lord knows what is around the corner in development for "bows". Im personally just glad I stepped away from all the bullshit a long time ago..... Ive never enjoyed hunting more than with a stickbow, and Im killing way less. Imagine that.......

04-Aug-19
The same guys whose veins pop out of their head when you mention crossbow, have no problem in the next breath bragging to you about all their big buck pics they are getting on their new cell cams. For some reason keeping track of the "target " animals 24/7/365 with electronic surveillance is perfectly ethical and considered fair chase...... Its all the rage to sit in a heated condo stand over a food plot as long as you have a compound. Open your vinyl window and stick a crossbow out it and you have crossed the line....Hang a machine in the tree your sitting in to suck up your human scent.....thats fine. lol! All you can do is laugh.....

04-Aug-19
Neverslice, we can trade recurve lessons for spelling and grammar lessons. I can bring my recurve, what you gonna bring? Lol!!

04-Aug-19
And there is the Neverbait patented “ Just Sayin”. Glad you finally came out of the closet!

05-Aug-19
+1 again retro. You have nailed it multiple times. Condos, ozone machines, etc, is not hunting. It is shooting.

05-Aug-19
"is not hunting. It is shooting." Especially when you use a x-gun!!!

05-Aug-19
To each their own definition. No one persons definition defines hunting to all people. Modern seasons only came to be as a result of growing human population and a reduced wildlife population. Each season is defined by law. How each person hunts within those laws can vary, as long as done within the defined words of the law. Maybe a guy can only be a true “hunter” if he belly crawls naked through a minimum of 20” of snow and then hand strangles his prey, assuming of course that the animal was on full alert through the entire process?

05-Aug-19
Why don’t you go out of state to find out. Don’t worry about rushing back.

05-Aug-19
Good to see you boys are still going at it, I used to hate it when the threads turned into this now I seek them out every now and then because they are like the "Sunday comics" of Bowsite

05-Aug-19
Jakey, enjoy yourself. I have a trip or two planned as well. Just remember to ask those you encounter on your trip what they think of WI hunters. Then tell it to someone who cares.

05-Aug-19
Maybe a guy can only be a true “hunter” if he belly crawls naked through a minimum of 20” of snow and then hand strangles his prey, assuming of course that the animal was on full alert through the entire process?

Well Captain, I'd call that guy a hunter well before someone who shoots a bear with any weapon with its head buried in a box of donuts. I did that - once - and can't see ever doing that again. That was shooting and there is zero challenge to it unless one used trad gear. Now, stalking one out in Alaska or the Yukon to get within bow range would be very different. I can't call shooting a deer out of a condo (I have done that too) hunting versus shooting either, once again, regardless of the weapon of choice. But, you are right, we all are entitled to our own definitions.

05-Aug-19
Really Jakey? I am not the one pushing for more efficient weapons in a primitive weapon season. You can throw all the crap you want on the wall yet it only seems to stick to you.

05-Aug-19
Yes Happy, we do all have our own definitions. I have shot one bear out of a tree and do not care to do that again. I’ve also shot deer from close range and from a tree, most with a compound and a few with a recurve. Not all too different from sticking a bear at a bait site. However, I understand a hound hunters perspective and do not speak against them. Thinking of that, it is much easier to shoot a pheasant from behind a pointing dog then it is from behind a flusher or by walking it up with no dog. It is all in our own perspective.

05-Aug-19
I find it interesting that as technology increases, so does the resentment between participants. I think that speaks for itself......

05-Aug-19
Lol! Another round about!

06-Aug-19
Just got my zwickey 4 blades on my arrows,,, they are all tuned and sharp,,,,, ready to go

09-Aug-19
When compared to the heyday, not many bow and arrow hunters left in Wisconsin and Michigan. Bow and arrow hunting is in a serious decline in most states.

09-Aug-19
If what you say is true, why are our trad shoots so crowded? more and more younger guys are also getting into it,,,, must be a reason somewhere,,,, I think its called fun and simplicity

09-Aug-19
Traditional bow and arrow shooting has it's fraternity, I am one. Still, stickbows are not as popular for hunting as when I hunted in the 1960's, and target courses were crowded then too. Also, do not confuse a fun modern day traditional shoot with those dedicated to actually using a stickbow as their primary hunting weapon. There was a time we all shot recurves and longbows. Today, many hang out at the traditional shoots,.... but do not use a stickbow as their primary hunting weapon. Simply owning, and occasionally shooting, a stickbow at a 3D target for fun is not the same as bow and arrow hunting.

Most of the loss in bow and arrow hunting is from compound bowhunters who have gone from 85% let off to the cocked, triggered, and scoped crossbow.

09-Aug-19
The larger issue is not weapon choice, the issue is the modern culture. ( most would not have a clue how to actually get close to game if they didn't train them). We need to share what the experience should be like, while not alienateing (sic) the masses.

Hunting is not one size fits all no matter how the "purists" insist it should be. Hunting means different things to different people. It should not matter to me what it takes for you to get your jollies out of hunting and vice versa. Everything does not need to be as difficult as possible for success to feel good. If that was the case you'd wear a loin cloth instead of camo and you wouldn't use scent control and you'd only stalk versus using tree stands. I feel certain you take the "easy" way out on all 3 of those.

People have different degrees of hunting knowledge and skills, probably based on what they were exposed to in their youth. This is just like those who golf or play any sport for that matter. It is OK to not be an expert or professional at something and still enjoy doing it. Even hack golfers enjoy the game. Same can be said for those who gun hunt 1 weekend per season. Those people don't need to be judged and I'd sure don't give a rat's ass what you think about them. But, there are people out there that feel the need to judge others based on their skill set even though it should not matter to the judger at all. I think it makes those judging feel better about themselves.

09-Aug-19
There is no reason to judge, that would be stupid. It is however a fact bow and arrow hunter numbers are in a steep decline in Wisconsin, Michigan and other states where scoped crossbows are legal for all. Very few of the dedicated bow and arrow hunters remain. Some other forms of easier hunting are on the increase, especially scoped crossbow hunting. Hopefully hunting and killing will be even easier, more hunters will be recruited, and seasons for many species will become more restricted. Plenty of diseased whitetail deer, more killing may be a good thing in those states.

10-Aug-19
Now we have all the wanna be deer farmers, throwing who knows what in the woods, it will catch up to us.

You say you don't judge people on their weapon of choice but you 100% judge others on their approach and methodology to hunting as if others would actually care what you think about them. Why does it matter to you so much that others get out of hunting something different than you do? We get it, you are a self-proclaimed expert hunter because you shoot a trad bow and you don't bait and you don't use food plots. Personally, I just think you choose to enjoy your hobby in a different manner than others do but your approach won't get you into Heaven before the next guy. In the big scheme of life, your approach to hunting is meaningless to others as their approach should be to you - within the laws of course.

10-Aug-19
I believe hunters who improve habitat for deer are also helping many forms of wildlife. I commend landowners and hunters who improve and protect habitat by logging, planting, erosion control, cropping, etc. They are giving back ( and with their own dollars). They are not simply taking, as so many hunters do.

10-Aug-19
I'll give you a +1 on that Missouri.

10-Aug-19
Missouri ....+2

10-Aug-19
nope,..........never

10-Aug-19
Neverslicer is ever the fool. Go back to the hard stuff, the extra sleep might help.

10-Aug-19
Neverslice, your jealousy is showing. Had you worked, saved and invested in something other than alcohol you might not be so bitter.

11-Aug-19
Just sayin

11-Aug-19
There is no need to stick together. Voters will think all hunting methods and VALUES are the same. It is important voters realize diversity exists in the hunter ranks. Some hunters are conservation minded, not into horn porn, and reject technology to make killing easier.

There are those of us still into the challenge of bow and arrow hunting, with real bows without scopes. Why should we dumb ourselves down in our efforts and challenges, and lump ourselves into other groups with vastly different values and objectives? Sticking together is an "old school " term, and very outdated thinking in meeting today's hunting world challenges.

12-Aug-19
I care because spreading disease for the nonsense of farming deer DOES affect everyone, most are just to blind, greedy or stupid to see it.

Do you have definitive proof that food plots and farms spread disease. Please site your sources. Thanks.

Do you have a plan to stop deer from licking each other which is most likely a bigger spreader of disease?

I will add that deer farming is barely a step up from a guided fenced hunt, or safari, these practices give a bad rap to a lot of hunters

Judging others again? Because you don't plant food plots, does that make you a better person than people who do? In the big scheme of life, why does it matter so much to you that others get out hunting something different than you do?

12-Aug-19
"I will add that deer farming is barely a step up from a guided fenced hunt, or safari, these practices give a bad rap to a lot of hunters "

Totally the same thing............yeah not quite.

So I suppose a hunter that sits on a fresh clear cut in the deep woods give it a bad rap. A hunter who sits on the only grove of white oaks within 1000 acres gives it a bad rap. A hunter who sits on his 10 acre alfalfa field, which he harvests for his cattle, gives it a bad rap.....

Truth be told, I think its the self-proclaimed geniuses with the ignorant attitude on how they are right about everything that give it a bad rap.

"I will add" I have as much respect for ignorant hunters bashing everyone else's style because it's different then theirs, as I do for poachers........barely a step up. These practices give a lot of headaches to everyone, and are an insecure voice, looking to be heard.

How about instead you just go stand by yourself, and we will all stand together. Apparently you are the only one good enough to breath the air around you.

12-Aug-19

happygolucky's embedded Photo
6 deer including 3 fawns getting lots of protein.
6 deer including 3 fawns getting lots of protein.
My apple eater. I have her well trained!
My apple eater. I have her well trained!
I taught the fawns how to play and get along with others.
I taught the fawns how to play and get along with others.
Hey I got a bonus! Must have had 1 rogue seed that sprouted a bear.
Hey I got a bonus! Must have had 1 rogue seed that sprouted a bear.
So speaking of deer farming. I bought an adjacent 14 acres adding to my wet and crappy land. But, there is this one nice high and dry spot and it came with a bonus mature crabapple tree. I decided to convert the area to a small food plot and add 2 more apple trees. I put some seed and fertilizer down this spring according to the soil sample I took last fall, and poof, I grew plants and deer!!!! I have these deer trained to eat out of my plots and man are lots of them doing it. I have one trained to sit up and grab unripened apples too. Now I need to train them to come when I'm hunting so I can watch them and thoroughly enjoy my time in the woods. I love food plotting!!!

12-Aug-19
Looks good happy.

Make sure you also teach them to ignore everything else. That the food plot is the most important thing in their routine. Forget acorns when they drop, forget water.....they don't need that, forget the rut, humans are friends, none of their instinct matters anymore. They will most certainly be there at precisely 7:53 every single day! I can guarantee that! Shoot, they will probably eat out of your hand....

12-Aug-19
Yeah, I have them on the right track FA. I still have more mentoring to go. But, I did not take the total easy way out. I did all my food plot work without big machinery. I lugged and spread bags of fertilizer by hand; same for the seed. So I am not a completely lazy hunter. My pedestal is however a lot shorter than others'.

12-Aug-19
Nice. Looks like rye?

12-Aug-19
For a spring starter plot, I used buckwheat, Plot Spike oats, and Merit Seed Buck Draw. They have not let anything mature - too many deer in there all the time. I just added winter rye, more oats, and a brassica mix this weekend. This will always be an annual plot for me. It needs more soil maintenance. I just took another soil sample.

12-Aug-19
Yeah, food plotters or "deer farmers" as Slicer likes to call them are definitely lazy hunters. They don't put any time or hard work in at all.... But according to Slicer, he does not judge how anybody hunts because all hunters need to stick together... Oh, unless you plant food plots. My guess is that Slicer does not have the ability to plant food plots, therefore he doesn't like people that do. There's a word for that that I believe Captain threw out earlier.

Cool pics Happy.

12-Aug-19
Guys, Neverslice is nothing other than a lonely troll, starving for attention, no matter how he gets it. His "stick together" baloney is a poorly and thinly veiled attempt to draw favorable attention. Happy, that plot looks like it took some work. Congrats on putting in the money and work that it takes to add to your property. From the looks of it, I don't think the "crappy" term applies!

12-Aug-19
"I will add that deer farming is barely a step up from a guided fenced hunt, or safari, these practices give a bad rap to a lot of hunters"

"Funny how we never talked about diseased deer when everyone actually hunted. Now we have all the wanna be deer farmers, throwing who knows what in the woods, it will catch up to us."

"Time to get back on the topic of food plots, it's that time of year when folks are looking for ideas, we all may not agree, but as long as done by the rules, I support my fellow outdoorsmen, we need to stick together."

Sounds like Slicer is super supportive of all styles of hunting. He mentions so several times after he's done bashing "deer farmers" AKA people that plant food plots.

12-Aug-19
For a bunch of guys that claim they can no longer shoot a real bow do to physical limitations, they sure brag about all the hard work it takes to lug around food plot material. Lmao/ busted

I've shot a compound since 2000. I thought of going back to trad but have not for various reasons, one of which is a shoulder issue that I get cortisone shots for. I am therefore content with my compound but I lowered the poundage from 65 to 60 and may go even lower. That said, hard work has never deterred me. Pain is temporary.

Perhaps if you'd have worked harder in your life or learned how to invest, you too could own your own piece of heaven and be able to improve it. But since people now know that private land owners and food plots bother you so much, I would expect people to post lots more plot pics just for you which is exactly what I did. You're welcome.

12-Aug-19
The alcohol is taking effect.

Just sayin

12-Aug-19

CaptMike's embedded Photo
Six acres of beans
Six acres of beans

12-Aug-19
Look at all those animals congregating in your plot, Mike!!!According to Slicerbait, the beans shoot the deer for ya! No work or effort put in at all!! Sure hope the beans are traditional veggies seeing as this is a traditional thread hahahaha!

12-Aug-19

My mother shares some of the Swiss chard with the deer. Even though a non-hunter, she realizes the benefits a plot provides to all sorts of wildlife.
My mother shares some of the Swiss chard with the deer. Even though a non-hunter, she realizes the benefits a plot provides to all sorts of wildlife.

13-Aug-19
Archers are sticking together.

13-Aug-19
Reg, I started with Roundup ready beans but my hunting didn’t get really productive until I found Archery Ready beans. And, they all grow, stand and stick together! Lol!

13-Aug-19
All it does is congregate animals and helps spread disease, because our culture needs to take the challenge out of hunting.

Still waiting for you to prove that food plots and farms transmit diseases. Have you been able to stop deer from licking each other? Please answer this - Why does it bother you so much that people get different things out of hunting than you do?

Oh the struggle to pull a real bow back for 5 seconds, but can slave away for days putting in a food plot without equipment. Lol

I've explained this many times while you were posting under Neverbait and now under Slicer. Besides the torn rotator cuff, I simply don't make the time nor have the energy anymore to shoot trad appropriately. That is why I switched to a compound in 2000 to begin with. Hunting is just a hobby to me and I have limited time to put into it. I put more time into fishing and being at (and maintaining) the lake house in Three Lakes. I coach a high school sport which keeps me very busy. I work full time, travel often for my job and I always put my family 1st on the list with everything I do. I can pick up my compound and shoot well in short order. I could never do that with my trad gear. I was never a great shooter with it either. Have you seen all the times I have stated that the trad guys rock? I am envious of the ones who are good, but not the ones like you who think they are better people in life due to their weapons of choice. The deer deserve our best and I can't guarantee that with trad gear. The rotator cuff issue is just the icing on the cake. I have no time in my life right now to go under the knife either.

Reminds me of a chap running a 5k, then parking in the handicap stall at Walmart.

You still seem jealous of those who have been able to save some money and buy their own piece of heaven. Jealousy is not a good trait in life. Try working hard. I work hard even hard work causes me pain. I'm lucky to have a 19 year old son to help me with all my land work. Unfortunately for me, he heads back to college in a week. I sure wish I had more time for land work. I had not been to camp in over 2 months. I started that plot last year after I bought that additional land and just recently saw the rewards. Isn't food plotting GREAT!!!! I wish I could add more. I am now paying a guy $175 per hour to cut trails through my swamp with his Fecon. That's the next big project.

And have the nerve to complain about baiting luring all your deer away.

Never once have I complained about baiting. And, I've been honest on this too - I have said my #1 goal of planting food plots is to attract all the neighbor's deer. Can't say if that works or not and once gun season comes, those with corn win out. I love planting seed and watching deer sprout. That is deer farming right?

13-Aug-19
Captain, your plots look amazing! Picture perfect and it is awesome seeing your mom out there. I wish I had more and better land so I could grow beans. Every time I have tried on my small plots, the deer eat them the minute they sprout. I hope you can train your deer to come on command like Slicer thinks people do.

13-Aug-19
Capt, beans look immaculate! Sent you a PM about as its not traditional farming questions I have.

13-Aug-19
Happy, those pics are from last year. I have not recently been out to my place to know how they are doing as of lately. Early on they were fairing well. It seems my farmer neighbors have the deer trained better than I do as they don’t decimate it. Of course after the surrounding crops have been picked, mine become much more attractive. And thanks, my mom absolutely loves being there. At 90 yrs of age, she still gets out to pick things as well as do some limited walking to look for sheds. Keeps her going!

13-Aug-19
Those pictures could be in magazines Captain! Major kudos to your mom Captain and to you for getting her to your land. I lost my mom 3 weeks ago at age 87. Her illness has been encompassing since this winter taking lots of time I didn't have. Treasure those moments with her. I am sure you do. Damn, I wish I could grow beans like that!!!!

13-Aug-19
Thanks Happy. Sorry to hear about your mom. And yes, I do treasure every moment I get with her. Many times she sits by a window in the house as dusk approaches, just watching for deer. Then she yells at me for not shooting one when I tell her what I saw while on stand!

13-Aug-19
Capt Happy , its too bad you are butthurt for being exposed that although putting in baitplots by hand, it is too much work to become efficient with a real bow, and even resort to a shotgun.

I still can't grasp this exposure thing you keep pointing to and "butthurt"? Putting in fertilizer and spreading seed is not earth shattering work. It takes me around a year to get a plot done without big machinery. Your deflection methods are comical or perhaps reading comprehension is very tough for you because you've been told the same thing before Neverbait/Slicer --> I rate shooting a trad bow again very low on my list of priorities in life, period. Did you read my list of items that I hold in higher regard not that I should even bother to explain to you? My shoulder issue is like reason #10 as to why I don't shoot trad anymore. Please try to understand. One day though, my shoulder injury might force me into a decision on whether to hang it up totally or switch to an xbow. I currently can only shoot around 5 arrows max with my compound. My workouts in the gym are not what they used to be either. Yet, I still workout 4-5 days a week when my schedule allows. I never let pain get in my way. If I can't be the best I could possibly be with a trad bow, it would be unfair to the deer. That should be very simple logic to follow, for those with a brain anyway.

For a chap that doesn't hunt with a real bow, you spend an awful lot of time on a traditional thread. My guess is the real bow hangs on the wall to mislead friends on your skill level.

Once again, why do you care what I, or anyone else, hunts with? Why does it matter to you? Why does my skill level matter to you one bit? Please explain, Are you a better person than I am because you hunt with trad and I do not? I personally have loved this thread because I really admire those who can shoot trad well. I have called those people the real archers. I'm sure you have seen me say that 100 times too. But, I don't like people like you who put yourself on a pedestal simply because of your weapon of choice in a hobby.

There are plenty of bait plot threads on bowsite to discuss your green thumb, as you can see above there are quite a few chaps that have not chosen the easy way.

And there you go again showing your envy of those who have worked hard in life to buy their own hunting land giving them the right to manage it and improve it with their own hard earned cash as they like. Perhaps you should find a profession where your tag line is not "Welcome to WalMart". When you say the "easy way", are you referring to wearing camo and not a loin cloth or using a tree stand and not stalking? Those are the easy ways you use right?

13-Aug-19
Slicer/Neverbait, why do you avoid every question posed to you? Would you be embarrassed to answer them? We're having a civil discussion and I have answered every one of your questions. Your avoidance speaks volumes.

The simple solution is that baitplotting is not hunting, don't call it that, it has nothing to do with the sport of hunting.

I never called food plots hunting. Planting food plots is a hobby just like catching butterflies, picking mushrooms, fishing and hunting. Food plotting and hunting are separate hobbies. I also like to plant fruit trees and shrubs too. Cool stuff huh.

The land issue you bring up I have been avoiding in trying not to make you look stupid, but since you insist.

I have no land issues at all other than the damn bears that trash my pop-up blinds and mess with my fruit trees. You are making yourself look stupid in trying to make things up to divert your hypocritical arguments. This one is especially weird on your part and what I believe is a complete deflection.

Why would anyone buy a lousy piece of property, spend well earned money and time, to end up with the same lousy piece of property that every 40-80 acre neighbor has done the same thing to. Then sit limited on the same lousy piece of property in the same stands, when there are 10s of thousands of beautiful public land to roam, unless you like to bend the rules in private a bit.

I don't need to explain this but I will. I wanted my own land to have a place for my son to hang his hat all the time. I also wanted to take this crappy land and see what I could do with it to make it better. My son LOVES the land and the cabin. He's killed 7 deer there since I bought it for him. We can always go the UP and enjoy it. We have lots of deer on the land along with lots of other critters. Guess what, the land is an asset too. If my son ever chooses to sell it when I am gone, chances are it will be worth more than when I bought it.

Oh yeah, I also own a house on the Three Lakes chain of lakes. You might think that is dumb too when I can just tow a boat and go to different lakes all the time. Isn't it great that we all have choices and that life is not one size fits all.

it seems like you accusing private land owners as being rule benders as you put it? Wow, you are really hitting the low class button now. You are also judging those who own land versus hunting public land. I'm guessing you think you are God's gift to hunting because you shoot trad and hunt public land. Personally, I'm willing to bet that you were simply too stupid in life to invest wisely and you are just jealous of those who have what you really want.

Just an observation.

13-Aug-19
You can always tell when someone is jealous of someone owning their own property.

13-Aug-19
What purpose is spending 2 months salary to buy a forty in the UP, to dump hard earned money into lousy property, you are surrounded by great adventures, plus you don't need to steal your neighbors deer lol.

Answered above. Learn to read and comprehend. I did not realize though that Walmart pays that well ;). FTR, I'm not actually stealing anyone's deer. I am feeding them and making them feel welcome on my crappy land.

Not sure what questions you want answered, most you should know. No, I do not hunt from a tree, to heavy to lug a stand, no need if you pick the right spot. I do wear clothes, probably going on 20 years old, no they are not scent lock, i never hunt with a bad wind, with a real bow you need to get much closer and will never fool a Deers nose.

1- Why do you get your undies in a bundle because people getting different things out of hunting than you do?

2- Why can't you comprehend that people who hunt have differing skill sets just like people who play sports do? That seems to elude and bother you.

3- Why does it bother you so much that people (a) choose to own land and (b) choose to do what they want to improve it? I still say jealousy.

4- Why do you think you are a better person in life due to your weapon of choice in a hobby?

5- Why do you expect everyone to hunt like you as if you are right and others are wrong when there is no right or wrong if all the laws are followed?

Let the games begin, every wanna be deer farmer has the same trail cam pics of the same bucks, and tries to outmaneuver the other. I have to chuckle sometimes.

Chuckling is good for your health. I have to chuckle sometimes too and enjoy it.

Btw, you spoke of baitplotting as a hunting methodology, look above, you have a short memory.

Nope, hunting a food plot is a hunting methodology just like hunting trails, bedding areas, etc. Planting a food plot is its own hobby. They are not mutually inclusive. While we're on the topic of short term memories, please go look at my very 1st post in this thread.

Do what you want, I dont care, but it is not hunting and I will call you out on that point

Actually you do care and very much. It drives you bat shit crazy that everyone does not hunt like you do or that people dare not make the hobby of hunting as hard as it can possibly be yet they still get enjoyment from it. Speaking of short term memories again, please go up to like my 2nd post and see my comments about hunting and shooting. As always, feel free to call me out on anything and I will retort.

13-Aug-19
Happy, I give you much credit. Attempting to speak rationally with an ignorant, lonely cretin is an effort in futility. His anger, jealousy and ignorance will never allow him to enjoy rational thought. However, your “high road” approach is to be admired.

13-Aug-19
this entire thread is a waste of my time,,, what is wrong with you people

14-Aug-19
My apologies to Ground Hunter and others for this thread going sideways. I simply was answering questions for Neverbait and explaining things. I did not get the same in return,

Yeah Captain, I tried to hold a civil conversation but Neverbait has shown his true colors and won't answer the simplest of questions posed to him although I took the time to answer all of his. His pedestal is quite high. I would not be surprised if the guy was not a trad hunter at all. He sure is jealous of people who own land though.

Neverbait, the floor is all yours.

14-Aug-19
It is refreshing to see hunters spending their personal time and money to set aside wild lands, and work to improve habitat for many species. Private land stewardship is very important to conservation efforts.

14-Aug-19
Agreed Missouri. Private land stewardship is very critical to overall species success.

There are a ton of beneficial things that can be done to a property with various Stewardship Programs, at little or NO cost. Our entire property is under stewardship with the DNR, with the exception of the 20 tillable. We have had 20 acres of overgrown aspen logged off last year for regrowth purposes and 3 years back, planted 8000 conifers and native grasses, in what was 17 acres of ag land that was previously being rented to the neighboring farmer.

What did we spend? 40 dollars a day to rent a tree planter, the DNR covered the rest. If we want to get specific, actually profited quite a bit from the logging, which was never the goal. Primary goal being habitat improvement of areas that were more or less useless for deer, and many other species as well.

14-Aug-19
Well as I am not in your state, not yours likely, but thank you anyway. My future generations will also appreciate it.

22-Aug-19
Or redo third grade.

23-Aug-19
Slice, still all over the map. Lol!

23-Aug-19
Make Bowhunting Great Again!

23-Aug-19
As an early contributor to this thread, and a long time stickbow guy, though I'd pop in to see what's been cooking. Where did the thread go?

26-Aug-19
New to bowsite here, but have been shooting a longbow since i was 12, so thirteen years now. Love the challenge of it, but also the simplicity of traditional equipment.

26-Aug-19
Rich, like every other thread it turns into garbage. Sad.

27-Aug-19
Right you are, unfortunately mate.....

27-Aug-19
Right you are, unfortunately mate.....

17-Nov-19
I know this thread got off topic but I thought I would bring it back. I've been really thinking about making the switch, but have never shot a recurve. (I'm left handed so of course not alot of cheap used left hand trad bows out there) I know this is kind of a shot in the dark but if anyone has an old lefty sitting around collecting dust for cheap( or free I'll pay shipping!) let me know thanks.

17-Nov-19
Firsty you can probably find a samick takedown for about $100. Make the leap....you wont look back.

17-Nov-19
I have been looking at the sage for the past year just haven't fully decided if I should get one of those or an older model bear or something.

17-Nov-19
Try Big Jim's Bow Company. Many used bows on there.

17-Nov-19
I've always wanted to make the jump. Probably going to get one of those Hoyt satori.

I know when I switch I'll have a booner circling my stand at 35 yards...

18-Nov-19
I think Larry with Lost Nation Archery also sells used bows.

18-Nov-19
I'm shooting a Sage right now and have no problem recommending one to anyone. They are not the prettiest bow out there, but they shoot well. It's a low cost of entry to get into trad shooting so if you decide you don't like it, you aren't out too much money. The down side to that would be your resale won't be as good should you try to sell it. The limbs are probably the least expensive on the market to buy so you can get a low poundage set of limbs to learn technique and then get a heavier set for hunting. One of the most important things as a beginner would be to not over bow yourself. Practice sessions get sloppy and short if you are getting too fatigued by heavy poundage limbs. 3 Rivers is selling a complete set up right now for $200 with a bow that looks exactly like a Sage, but has a different name. If money is an issue, you would be hard pressed to find a better price to get into the game.

There are plenty if good options out there, Sage is just the way I went. What's more important than the bow is the amount of time you spend practicing. It can be a frustrating learning curve. Some days you will be shooting awesome and everything is working, the next day you can't hit the broadside of a barn. But, it all comes together with time and if you are content with shooting 20 yards or less, many would be surprised at how quickly you can get good to that distance. For me, over 20 yards takes considerable more practice and is something I'm still not comfortable with in a hunting situation, but I don't practice as much as I should.

Just be warned, you will soon want a $1000 custom rig.

18-Nov-19
I'm shooting a Sage right now and have no problem recommending one to anyone. They are not the prettiest bow out there, but they shoot well. It's a low cost of entry to get into trad shooting so if you decide you don't like it, you aren't out too much money. The down side to that would be your resale won't be as good should you try to sell it. The limbs are probably the least expensive on the market to buy so you can get a low poundage set of limbs to learn technique and then get a heavier set for hunting. One of the most important things as a beginner would be to not over bow yourself. Practice sessions get sloppy and short if you are getting too fatigued by heavy poundage limbs. 3 Rivers is selling a complete set up right now for $200 with a bow that looks exactly like a Sage, but has a different name. If money is an issue, you would be hard pressed to find a better price to get into the game.

There are plenty if good options out there, Sage is just the way I went. What's more important than the bow is the amount of time you spend practicing. It can be a frustrating learning curve. Some days you will be shooting awesome and everything is working, the next day you can't hit the broadside of a barn. But, it all comes together with time and if you are content with shooting 20 yards or less, many would be surprised at how quickly you can get good to that distance. For me, over 20 yards takes considerable more practice and is something I'm still not comfortable with in a hunting situation, but I don't practice as much as I should.

Just be warned, you will soon want a $1000 custom rig.

19-Nov-19
Don't do it! you will become hooked forever and like others have said you will soon be into those $1,000 customs and possibly owning way too many bows. Also you will spend way more time shooting since the fun comes back into shooting recurves or long bows.

19-Nov-19
Yes, all true. Always shooting, always looking to do better, stump shooting your way to your stands because it’s just fun, did I say you want to shoot all the time!!! It is an addiction.

19-Nov-19
just bite the bullet and get a Blacktail right off the bet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

19-Nov-19
Thanks for the ideas guys! I might have to pick up a sage for an xmas present to myself.

21-Nov-19
Over on LW there's many a thread on "how many bows?". Many of the older chaps (like me...lol) have enough to open a trad shop. I've never subscribed to that. When I find a bow that fits, shoots well for me, and is just a pleasure to use, I'm good. I shot the same Black Widow MAII for 30 years...replacing limbs after about 20.

I went through a few bows until I found that one, then my search was over. That one was 65 lbs at my 29" draw, and I could, and did, shoot it all day.

With the ravages of time, and a ruptured left bicep tendon, it became too much so a new search ensued. Long story short...a Canadian friend turned me on to a custom Bowyer under the name WhippenStick. I ordered a takedown 60" recurve...52 lb. A beauty to behold and shoot. Little later I got the itch for a longbow and ordered my 2nd...a 65" RD shooting 53lb at my draw. That's my go-to bow, and I'm set with two.

The Sage is a great, cheap bow for a beginner...my wife started on one for a year before I got her a custom for Christmas. Start there...if you don't like trad, you're not out some serious coin. If you DO however, you WILL feel the burn to "go big". At that point...do some research, ask around, and absolutely go to trad shoots! Guys will let you shoot theirs...shoot em all. Find one that speaks to you, and get out your wallet. When you find the right fit for YOU, that will be money well spent.

An example...there's a fella in the Milwaukee area who's a 4 time IBO world champ in his longbow class. He's a good friend of that WS bowyer, and has several of his bows. I called him about looking at his collection and we met at a shoot...he brought 4 bows and told me to shoot away. We shot for hours...and when done I'd made my choice. Got home, made the call, and set up my order.

It's a brotherhood, and WILL put the fun back in archery. I don't hunt as hard as before, but shoot more.

• Sitka Gear