CAS_HNTR 26-Dec-19
Pat Lefemine 12-Feb-20
Zbone 12-Feb-20
goyt 13-Feb-20
Pat Lefemine 15-Feb-20
goyt 15-Feb-20
Linecutter 17-Feb-20
21-Jul-19
My wife and I are both originally from NE Ohio, Willoughby and Willowick. Our current home is in KS, and we own 120 acres in MO.

We are thinking of selling both in two years and moving back. We have a couple of realtors looking around Madison. Family is nearby, and that family also has a "compound" at Pymatuning Lake.

I wanted to get 40-80 acres and build a simple pole barn with one end finished for our home. Need to be fairly close to good medical and groceries.

Have been told property is around $1.5-2K an acre.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the acreage cost accuracy, tax rates, adjust location etc.

Robin and I were not blest to have children, but have nieces and nephews in the area. Please don't hate me for wanting to move back. The property needs timber and tillable as I hope to keep hunting for deer and turkey.

Thanks in advance!

23-Jul-19
Habitat, I understand your desire to move back to Ohio. "The Heart Of It All"

Good luck with your move and good hunting.

"GO BUCKS"

23-Jul-19
Thanks buc. We got robbed last year, should have been in the playoffs. Looking forward to the Browns this year.

23-Jul-19
I have seen some properties for sale just south of Conneaut, Ohio. Some range from a couple acres to as many as 150.

23-Jul-19
Thanks Boris. Any idea on price range?

23-Jul-19
No, but I can check. I can check if they are listed with a realtor.

23-Jul-19
That's ok, I am not asking anyone to do any work. I thought you might know. Thanks again!

23-Jul-19
I will say that I think 1-2k and ac is possible, but you will have to find a deal or also find someone that wants to sell without it being on the market.

Tillable land goes for a pretty penny and land that is within reasonable reach of any metropolitan areas is pretty high right now as well.

Whenever I look I assume that it is going to be 3k an ac and hope for better....often times it is worse...sometimes ALOT worse.

25-Jul-19
There are few places in the US where you can buy a house in a good area as NE Ohio. It is a sellers market now but times change. Price per acre is to low fyi

25-Jul-19
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

19-Nov-19
I’ve been doing a lot of research on Ohio hunting land and most decent properties start at 2k and 3k seems to be the average. I’m seeing much better buys in Kentucky where average is 1.8k and some great buys at 1.5k. Ohio is high right now.

20-Nov-19
I live in Madison. South Madison is where you want to look. Some nice hardwoods and ravines. North Madison by the lake is low land. It’s swampier and flat and not a lot of hardwoods. I would also check out Leroy

20-Nov-19
Good luck finding any land in Ohio for 2k an acre... I own 3 small properties, the latest I bought a couple years ago off a CLOSE friend and ONLY paid 11k for 1.5 acres... I have written permission on neighboring properties... He could have doubled that had he put it on the market, but sold it to me because we're close and he could still have access to it...

21-Nov-19
I'd love to retire (at 35).....where do I sign up!

09-Dec-19
I am retired as well. Just bought 12 acres in Ashtabula county. Wooded and ready to hunt deer and turkey. I paid 25k in cash. Use a local realtor as they usually have insight to what might be coming soon on the market. I used Vicky Miller. She knew all the local stuff out there. Hope any of this helps. d

17-Dec-19
Digs, I was looking at Ashtabula county since it's the closest Ohio county for me. How is the hunting there? Good trophy quality? Not a lot to pick from and a bit more expensive than down south, but definitely interesting.

17-Dec-19
Pat......Ashtabula is a good county for deer as well, but you will be battling the winters up there as well. Move south of there another county or two and it is much more mild. Lake effect snow can be pretty rough up there.

17-Dec-19
Buck quality is excellent in Ashtabula County, I lived on the edge of the county line a few years back in the late 80's and seen some real dandies... Chased a monster around one year but never got a shot...

I had a Thompson address, and as CAS_HNTR explained, it's the heart of the Ohio snow belt and winters are harsh...

18-Dec-19
I live here, an the snow is not that bad. Yes, we do get some lake effect. I did measure for OBBBC and P&Y but got out of it when Pa. opened crossbows for everybody. I did measure many nice bucks.

18-Dec-19
I guess it is all relative on snow and winters as the NY property Pat has gets an unreal amount of snowfall each year (200" I thought)

Ashtabula County averages about 80" a year, which is likely much better than NY, but is still about 4X more than where I live in Ohio (Fairfield County) which only averages 20" a year

25-Dec-19
80" a year? We got 340" three years ago at my Northern NY property. Hell, we got 80" in November alone this year!!

26-Dec-19
Holy hell Pat.....anywhere in OH will be tropical compared to that crap

12-Feb-20
I ended up finding the right farm and we are currently under contract. I looked over 11 farms/properties and a few of them were tempting but there’s always one that you know right away is “the one.” And of course it’s always the most expensive!

12-Feb-20
CONGRATS on your new property Pat!!!

13-Feb-20
Congratulations and welcome to Ohio. Can you share what county you are buying property in?

15-Feb-20
Carroll county

15-Feb-20
I have a friend that owns land south of Carrollton in Carroll County. Good bucks there. I own land in NE Coshocton County. Good luck with your new purchase.

17-Feb-20
That should be a great area over that way. Welcome to Ohio. DANNY

06-Mar-20
Congrats Pat. My own research convinced me OH is more expensive than what I feel comfortable with. My farm in Carroll county MO probably would bring less than half of what an Ohio farm of the same acreage would. Bummer!

• Sitka Gear