Michael 23-Jul-19
spike78 24-Jul-19
Jerry Leblanc 24-Jul-19
Moons22 24-Jul-19
Michael 24-Jul-19
PeteO 25-Jul-19
Michael 25-Jul-19
22-Jul-19
As I’ve learned over these few months that this forum is full of people who either are firemen or volunteer or know someone. I figured this would be a great place to start asking about volunteering and getting involved with the fire department. I want to get my EMT certified and study fire science in college to give me the best chance at getting accepted. Any info or tips will be greatly appreciated thank you!

23-Jul-19
Dave!!!! Silverado!!!! But I'm pretty sure hes made a career out if it.

23-Jul-19
I was a volunteer for about ten years in the 90's. Back then you just filled out a application and were voted into the department. The department ran in house training and a bit later I think they required state training. At the time it was Firefighter I which is as far as I got with my certifications. By the time I left the department (moved out of the town), the training requirements were becoming more extensive. Guessing by now they are a lot more extensive then I remember.

Volunteer departments are typically desperate for warm bodies. I would just go to the department and ask. They will probably be falling over themselves to sign you up.

23-Jul-19
I sent you a pm

23-Jul-19

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
I’m 22 years old and have been on for 6 months. Had my first real fire yesterday! It’s an awesome job man. I’m not sure exactly how the process works in CT but do whatever it takes to get on. Emt class/ paramedic school. Forget about college. Take all the tests. Be proactive and go get it. Work out, eat right and you’ll have a great career. Plus plenty of time to hunt! Good luck man.

23-Jul-19
Volunteering is a great way to test the waters. I volunteered for 7 years before I decided to make it a career. I did 24 1/2 years in a career dept. and retired at 51 years old. It is a great career and can be very rewarding. You will have some of the greatest adrenaline rushes you can ever have. You will also see some things you will wish you never saw. You will meet and work with some awesome people. There is nothing that feels better than saving a life (that includes sex - the good feeling lasts longer). Get your EMT and all the certifications you can. If you really want a fire service job get your Paramedic license (we call it the golden ticket). Good luck. BTW you also get to ride in the big red truck, make lots of noise and go on the other side of the yellow tape. Chicks dig firemen (not cops)

23-Jul-19
Thank you all for the help. So Moon22 you think going to college isn’t worth it? But rather only going to EMT classes?

24-Jul-19
Moons x2. The best way to get into the FD or PD is military, emt/paramedic training, and learning Spanish. These get you to the top of the list.

24-Jul-19
Michael Ther are 3 things you can do to increase your chances of getting hired. 1. College or military service. College will serve you better in the long run since it will help with promotions. 2. Volunteer and enroll in the CT Fire Academy recruit program. By doing that you are much more attractive to a town since they would not have to pay you while you attend the school or the cost of the school. 3. Become a paramedic. Most of the fire departments are becoming more involved in EMS. Some departments are only hiring paramedics and candidates who are both fire and paramedic certified have no trouble getting jobs.

24-Jul-19
Nope if I could go back I would skip the student debt, take the emt class right after high school and start taking fire tests right away. You have to look into the qualifications for the cities/ towns you want to get on, and make them happen. Some departments will give you extra money for having a degree, but that’s something you could do online once you’re already on the job. I definitely would not go to a 4 year college pay for tuition, housing, and food if all you want is to get on the fire dept

24-Jul-19
Thank you all for the help! I am hoping to take the emt course next summer

25-Jul-19
Michael I am pretty sure Bethel High offers an EMT course I would get ahold of your Danbury High guidance counselor and see if they can pull some strings and get you in the class at Bethel. I know some schools offer work study where you can leave school early to go to work I don't see a difference here. Then you have a jump on things. It doesn't hurt or cost you anything to ask.

25-Jul-19
Thanks Pete I’ll look into that!

• Sitka Gear