travistroop 23-Jul-19
spike78 23-Jul-19
Dr. Williams 23-Jul-19
Notme 24-Jul-19
Garbanzo 02-Aug-19
Will 02-Aug-19
Rackem 05-Aug-19
23-Jul-19
My brother just got it a couple weeks ago. He’s not a hunter, but he camps a lot. Tick got him in hamstring area. By the time he saw the red spot, he had chills fever and very tired. Like SWK, he went to clinic and he got Doxy. Doxy made him sicker and he ended up in Hartford Hospital for three days. Final result is Lyme Disease and he’s on meds now for three additional weeks. He said it was the worst thing he’s ever experienced in his life. Said he felt like dying. He’s recovering now though.

Father-in-law got it too. Tick got him on his side. Not a hunter either. Was down and out for a few weeks as well. Ticks are bad bad little beasts.

23-Jul-19
Yes my brother had it. He's passed now but we used to spend countless hrs in the woods together. I remember it started off with him being extremely tired. Then we found the ring the following day on his leg. I also remember him vomiting every day because of the antibiotics..

23-Jul-19
I had it at least a half dozen times, probably why I'm screwed up..lol when I did catch it Dr gave 30 days doxy...shakes chills fever sweat can't keep hot can't keep cold can't eat don't want to eat..its a blast!!!..a guy I worked with also had it in the 80's before it was popular he also has heart problems..another friends wife died from it..nasty stuff

23-Jul-19
I've gotten more ticks on me fishing estuaries than in the woods..

23-Jul-19
Two times for me. Now if you get bitten and find the tick w/in 72 hrs there is a one pill dose of doxy and you're good. A friends wife earlier this year had the allergic reaction to meat after a tick bite, luckily they caught it in time ...

23-Jul-19
Isn't the Rocky mountain tick the one where you get meat allergies

23-Jul-19
I had it. Got bitten while turkey hunting. Had fever, chills and muscle aches for 6 days but a 28 day cycle of doxycycline took care of that.

23-Jul-19
I've never been bitten, but my best friend is an arborist and avid gardener and he's got it. I understand that once you get it, you always have it, so seeing comments stating " had it" make me wonder if that's true.

23-Jul-19
Is it true that the tick needs to be in you for 24hrs before you can get it?

23-Jul-19
Notme, he said Lyme not the clap lol.

23-Jul-19

Dr. Williams's Link
Yes. Because the pathogens that cause Lyme, babesiosis, and anaplasmosis are found in the blacklegged “deer” tick gut, it takes 24-36 hours in their feeding cycle before they regurgitate their gut contents, thus infecting their host. The red meat allergy is very real and a death sentence to a deer hunter, but is caused by infection from lone star ticks which are common down south, but have been documented along the CT Shoreline, specifically in Norwalk. We suspect they are established all the way to the RI border. They don’t tolerate cold well, so are restricted to the Shoreline, for now......

24-Jul-19
I guess the clap is better than crabs..lol

02-Aug-19
I got it. Had the classic bulleye. My Dr. didn't even do the test. Said yeah you got it and can I take a picture of that. Worst is babesiossis. A friend of mine got that and it almost killed him. That it tick borne also.

02-Aug-19
No idea how I've avoided it between hiking, fishing, mountain biking, trail running, doing trail work and hunting/scouting... I guess I just go nuclear with clothing treatment (spray your gear with permithrin, lasts for about 6 weeks and works) and have been lucky. Luck is a factor for sure! My wife does the same thing and has had it 2X in the last 5 years!

05-Aug-19
I have babesia microti from a tick bite when i was child forty plus years ago. I used to give blood, until the red cross found it in a random test (they said I have the antibodies in my blood) and said I couldn't give anymore. I don't have any reoccurring symptoms, so I guess I am lucky.

• Sitka Gear