Tweed 26-Jul-19
skookumjt 07-Aug-19
Mike F 08-Aug-19
Jeff in MN 09-Aug-19
ground hunter 09-Aug-19
24-Jul-19

Huntcell 's Link
Quoted from article:

The land in Iron County would be preserved for public access and protected from development under the $4.3 million purchase approved by the Joint Finance Committee.

The Natural Resources Board earlier this year approved spending nearly $5 million from the state's Knowles-Nelson Stewardship program to purchase the easement from Keweenaw Land Association Ltd. of Ironwood, Michigan.

25-Jul-19
Anyone got any idea just where this land is? I know it is Iron county but where? The figures in the article comes to $385 per acre. As the above says the price is just an easement that the state is buying, not the actual land. I think the state did this once before and the seller retained the timber rights. I wonder who pays the taxes on it if this deal goes through.

26-Jul-19
For a parcel that large $385 a acre is actually high....I certainly hope they are buying the land.

26-Jul-19
These are easements only. I have argued against the last two major transactions and will argue against this one. The cost is too great for what the public gains.

26-Jul-19
Under the deal, Keweenaw would manage the properties, pay taxes and assessments on it and obtain revenues from timber harvests, while public access would be retained and no developments or buildings would be constructed on the property.

07-Aug-19
That's the same deal they have now under FCL. Now we're going to pay them a huge chunk for the same deal.

08-Aug-19
I know some of the property very well. It is scattered throughout the county in big chunks. I bear hunt and trap a lot of it. When ever I run into someone from Keweenaw they are always nice and keep me informed on what areas they are harvesting in. The keep most of their gates open year round, unlike others.

09-Aug-19
It just does not make any sense to pay what the land is reasonably worth for what amounts to a lease.

09-Aug-19
There is an article on it, in the Wis Outdoor News, and so one should read it..... That logging company keeps thousands of acres open for hunting and fishing in the UP also, and give access without every road being blocked off

• Sitka Gear