Whocares 31-Jul-19
Jaquomo 31-Jul-19
Jaquomo 01-Aug-19
Adventurewriter 02-Aug-19
ArielissaJon 12-Apr-21
27-Jul-19

Jordanathome's embedded Photo
Saw tons of these recently but don't think they are the edible boletes.... anyone know?

27-Jul-19

27-Jul-19

27-Jul-19
Aaaahhhh.......not a good one!

Amanita muscaria (Fly Agaric) Description: Red with White Spots. White Gills on Bottom. Some say this is Colorados Magic Mushroom which is quite different than a Psilocybin mushroom. Some eat this mushroom for the intoxicating effects which is not recommended and is a dangerous practice. People who have eaten it say its best to dry the caps first. It is said that people who try this mushroom for its intoxicating effects often regret it.

27-Jul-19
I will eat one kind of Colorado mushroom The King.... easily identified big and plentiful.... they don't have fins but almost a sponge like underside

27-Jul-19
I ate a few bites of an Amanita Muscaria many many years ago. I wouldn't do it again. The Amanita Genus contains some of the most deadly mushrooms in the world.[See Death Cap] The Muscaria is not one of the really dangerous ones, but a few bites left me feeling pretty uncomfortable for about an hour.

27-Jul-19

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Boletes are popping now. Delicious! Girlfriend found a bunch on a hike yesterday. My mountain morels didn't come up this year due to the very late spring. Chantrelles should be up any time. CO mountains are a treasure trove!

27-Jul-19

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Plate of deep fried puffball slices rolled in egg batter and seasoned panko crumbs. Got a volleyball-sized one a couple weeks ago. Awesome. Amazing most people don't know about delicious puffballs that are very common from now through September.

28-Jul-19
Colorado has morels which are delicious and easily identifiable too! Picked a bunch in May while I was there.

29-Jul-19
This Kansan will be in your fine state starting 8-16. We have always been told that the mushroom in question is best left alone and definitely do not eat it. Our trip is a fishing/camping trip, but in recent years it includes quite a bit of mushroom picking. We like the Boletes, Chanterelles and Scaly Tooth (locally called Hawk's Wing or Tile). I personally like Chanterelles best with the Boletes a close second and the Scaly Tooth coming in third.

29-Jul-19
It is or soon should be Chantrelle season in Missouri......damn they were good but be careful with the seasoning. They get awful salty awful fast.

29-Jul-19
Lou, the one your GF has looks more like an (aspen orange cap) or Leccinum Insigne, still part of the Boletaceae family but does have warning attached. I guess it could be the Leccinum fibrillosum which does not come with a warning, however it looks to not have the rusty color cap.

30-Jul-19
Agree with Stoneman. That looks like either one of the Leccinums or a Suillus. Both are edible but not "choice". The best way to tell in the field is to see if there is any blue or purple color after several minutes when you cut the stem. Bolotes don't stain. There are MANY edible shrooms in Colorado that are relatively easy to identify.

30-Jul-19
I swear there aren’t any mushrooms in Colorado. I might as well be looking for a damn unicorn!

30-Jul-19

Schl44's embedded Photo
Puff balls
Schl44's embedded Photo
Puff balls

30-Jul-19
YUM.....those used to pop up in our yard in MO and we pounced on them.

31-Jul-19
Are those puff balls edible? I saw a couple the size of basketballs last weekend.

31-Jul-19
All puffballs are edible and delicious if picked fresh. See my post and photo of deep fried puffballs above.

Yes, I believe hers is an aspen orange cap. They precede the edulus in our area by a couple weeks. We've eaten them for years and they are very good. My understanding is that the yellow variety is the one which has caused some problems with a few people. I've eaten the yellow ones before and they were just so-so. I don't bother with them anymore and you have to peel the caps. Not worth the trouble.

Speaking of warnings, some people have a gastro reaction to black morels when drinking alcohol. I don't, but best to try a couple with a little wine before going overboard.

31-Jul-19
On what, the morels or alcohol?? I need more input.

31-Jul-19
Alcohol reacts with black morels with some people and can cause an upset tummy. The morels are fine (and scrumptious) on their own. The books recommend trying a few bites after drinking alcohol, if you are so inclined. I never had an issue and neither did my girlfriend.

01-Aug-19
First chantrelles of the season tonight! Yum!!!

02-Aug-19
I just stick with the king....and now morels but can't say I have ever seen them.... I don't want to have to be a botanist and eat a killer brown one with round spots when the one with oval spots is delicious

12-Apr-21

ArielissaJon's Link
Ahaha, I liked how someone said here "I swear there aren’t any mushrooms in Colorado. I might as well be looking for a damn unicorn!" Well, you can try a bite of this Amanita Muscaria and you'll definitely see unicorns. I don't know why but since I was little I always associated mushrooms with drugs. My mom recently started to use Lion's Mane extract from qitraditions.com and at first, I thought they are some kind of drug. But then she explained that it's for medicinal purposes only and a lot of people are using it for better sleep, or for getting rid of headaches and stress.

• Sitka Gear