South Farm 31-Jul-19
Tweed 31-Jul-19
Two Feathers 31-Jul-19
Tweed 31-Jul-19
Missouribreaks 31-Jul-19
South Farm 01-Aug-19
longspeak74 08-Aug-19
30-Jul-19
Hey y’all, Got a work opportunity pulling me to Milwaukee so packing up the wife and kiddo and heading east (from Colorado). I have spent some time in the western part of the state and MN, but will be a totally new adventure for us. Looking for any advice on active clubs, organizations, and generally how to connect into the hunting community out there. Move is happening over the next couple months, so probably going to put a damper on the hunting this season, but thinking I will spend my free time bird hunting and fly fishing while I figure out the layout. Would love to get a lease or ultimately buy some land, but have a lot to learn before pulling that trigger. I am pretty much an equal opportunity outdoorsman - trad, wheels, occasional lead arrow (gasp), upland, waterfowl, and fly fishing - love it all. Probably only “purist” on the fishing - definitely prefer the fly, but like eating walleye, so I may cheat from time to time ;) Any advice greatly appreciated!

Roger

30-Jul-19
Welcome!

Like other places lots of people will have something negative to say about Milwaukee but I really enjoy living here.

The hwy system is good and you can be on your lease in good time. Do you know where you plan on moving (north, south or west)? I personally really like the communities to the north along Greenbay Rd / I43

30-Jul-19
A great way to meet people of similar likes is to join an indoor archery league or sporting group like WI Bow Hunters, SCI, etc. Once here, visit a local archery shop like Buck Rub. There are good amounts of public land and lakes in the state with some of them/it in close proximity to Milwaukee. Good luck and welcome!

30-Jul-19
Welcome.

30-Jul-19
Welcome Txnrog, wait till you find out about the steelhead runs in the Milwaukee, Root and other rivers in that area. If you have ever fished steelhead with a flyrod, it is a blast.

30-Jul-19
Welcome. Also check out Ojibwa Bowhunters in New Berlin just west of Milwaukee. Great archery club. Sounds like a perfect club for all your interests. Great group of guys and gals that will share a wealth of information with you. The Milwaukee area has so much to offer.

30-Jul-19
Fly fishing the Root. Some great memories there.

30-Jul-19
Shhhhh...not so loud about the chromers.

Welcome to Milwaukee. If you have any questions about that haven't been asked drop me a PM.

30-Jul-19
Welcome to WI. FYI, we don't really consider Milwaukee to be part of WI. It's an extension of IL to us.

30-Jul-19
Welcome to WI but Milwaukee/WI is a definite downgrade from Colorado. But, we do have good Musky fishing.

I recommend West Town Archery in Brookfield (basically Milwaukee given the location). They are very knowledgeable and great people.

30-Jul-19
Keep eyes wide open, all I got to say, lived there for 6mos.

30-Jul-19
Nothing in WI. is going to match Colorado. I actually just got back from Colorado yesterday. (Springs) But that said WI. has a lot to offer also. There is some great trout fishing in Richland County a couple hours northwest of Milwaukee. Up by me in Lincoln County there is the Prairie River and Hay Meadow both great fisheries. The DNR has a good booklet “trout streams of WI” that has most of the streams in the state and their classifications.

I know waterfowl hunting is very popular in that area and competition is outrageous and groups actually lease up fields for goose hunting to lock them up.

Sounds like the spring drumming counts were up this year so if you head north looking for 5 year plus cutover’s you should have some good grouse hunting. Woodcock can be fun also as they migrate through.

Deer are all over but in the populous areas and an hour or so surrounding them it’s almost impossible to get on land or find a lease that won’t cost an arm and leg plus your first born.

But the good thing is that the farther north you go the more public land you will run into. Being this year your hunting will be limited would be a good time and find some spots and walk them. Boots on the ground. It will also be a good time to scout hunters and see how many are using the area. Bow hunting it’s easier to get away from pressure. But when the orange army hits the woods all bets are off. 600,000+ hunters will be out that first weekend.

Welcome to WI. by the way!

30-Jul-19
Welcome to WI. We have lots of great opportunities. Although Milw would be dead last on where I'd want to live in WI. Brewer games are fun. Some good fishing in/off the harbors. Be prepared for city life and everything that comes with that. Traffic can be horrible. We have alot of public land which is great for hunting. Get on OnX and look for public land to help search where you wana go.

30-Jul-19
Thanks for all the responses. I am looking forward to doing some exploring. May change when we finally settle, but looking hardest at the northern ‘burbs around Mequon/Cedarburg. Work is in a burb as well so probably won’t be spending much time downtown. Hope to get settled in time to hit some of the fall fish runs.

30-Jul-19
You are in for quite a culture shock....things in the Midwest happen at twice the speed of Colorado. If you are not "city savvy" be careful in the city and even some of the surrounding neighborhoods. Don`t use Milwaukee as a barometer for Wisconsin...please!

Fishing in Wisc. is far more diverse than Colorado and our deer and turkey hunting is outstanding. If your wife is a shopper, look out. Also if your kid is into sports you will find the area at a different level....sports and activities are intense here. WELCOME.

30-Jul-19
Franklin said

“things in the Midwest happen at twice the speed of Colorado”

Have you ever driven on Hwy. 25 in Colorado Springs at 8:00am on a week day? LOL

That my friend is a whole new driving experience. 4-5 lanes wide and bumper to bumper doing 75 mph.

30-Jul-19
You're choosing a great location. Checkout Buckskin Bowmen. Not terribly far from some good marshes and the kettles.

30-Jul-19
Sad to hear of some of the responses to Milwaukee. Have lived hear for over 30 years and have had nothing but great experiences. Milwaukee offers everything a sportsmen would want within an hours drive.

30-Jul-19
I agree, Scott. I’ve bounced around a bit, but Milwaukee has it all. Good hunting not far, great fishing all around.

30-Jul-19
Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised. The majority of comments were positive or neutral towards MKE.

As many publications have noted, Milwaukee is Chicago's hip adventurous little sister that you really want to hang with.

30-Jul-19
Welcome to you and your family txnrog. Have a look at Western suburbs also (like Sussex). Still a small town feel but anything you need is just 10 minutes down the road. Schools there are great also. I’m not much of a fisherman anymore but love time in the bowhunting woods. Feel free to PM once you get into town.

30-Jul-19
Sounds almost fun Drop Tine...lol

Every state has their "big city" and parts of it are not rainbows and unicorns. In the grand scheme of things we are pretty fortunate.....we could of had a "Baltimore"....lmao

31-Jul-19
Welcome to Wisconsin. There is plenty of public land hunting available within a stone's throw of the city. I'm familiar with Ozaukee county and can help you out there if interested.

31-Jul-19

1. Drop the Ya'll and learn to say "you guys".

2. Don't appear so happy about the move...mid westerners hate happy people...you need to complain more whether things really bother you or not.

3. Learn to drink, teach your kids to drink at and early age, and don't forget to toss your cans in the ditch when you're done.

4. Learn to bait deer with corn and nobody will know you're not really from Wisconsin.

5. Never mention the Minnesota Vikings in a favorable tone...even when (if) they win.

6. Don't tell anybody back in Colorado how nice Wisconsin is; in fact lie to them every opportunity you get...tell them there's nothing here but wood ticks, mosquitoes, and blood thirsty bears...one behind every tree!

7. Enjoy yourself and happy hunting!

31-Jul-19
I agree. There are plenty of places to hunt within 1 hour of MKE. Consider the Kettle Moraine N&S. Milwaukee Metro Sewer District (MMSD) or the Ozaukee Washington Land Trust (OWLT) has a lot of land outside of MKE open for hunting. Google MMSD and OWLT for their maps. Of course these properties are a zoo during gun season, but during bow, I pretty much have the place to myself during the week. Good Luck!

31-Jul-19
Southfarm - going to struggle with 1 thru 3. . . I am from Texas originally so hard to give up the y’all, happy, and “don’t mess with Texas(now Wisconsin)” mindset. Can manage #4 (per Tx roots ;) 5: Saints and Broncos fan - so rarely an issue

6: Got it. Colorado is terrible too - full of hippies, Californians, and about to be full of bloodthirsty wolves.

7. Will do!

31-Jul-19
I'm originally from Menomenee Falls so everything I say is in jest. Currently live in Minnesota but own land in Wisconsin and am moving back permanently next year. Minnesota has gone to hell in a bread basket and she ain't coming back so it's time to get out!

I don't know if you can find it online, but check out a show on PBS called "Around the corner with John McGivern"...his show features many of the towns in that area of the state and a lot of what they have to offer, from schools to businesses, to shops and entertainment. Good show!

31-Jul-19

31-Jul-19
Tweed, I'm working in Grafton tomorrow morning.

31-Jul-19
Two Feather- you're too old to be working! :-)

31-Jul-19
Great state for bow and arrow hunting, scoped crossbow hunting, and gun hunting. Lots to enjoy, hope it works out for you.

01-Aug-19
Thanks for the vid Tweed!

08-Aug-19
Welcome aboard, Roger. Aside from the outdoor opportunities here, we've got some great breweries to try out too! I second the guys over at West Town Archery. Also, make sure to check out the Southwestern part of the state. Excellent hunting and trout fishing!

• Sitka Gear